http://gamingtrend.com
July 30, 2014, 03:07:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mercenaries 2 impressions thread  (Read 23877 times)
DamageInc
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: September 05, 2008, 03:46:21 PM »

Quote from: Dreamshadow on September 05, 2008, 03:10:59 PM

I've got the viral achievement, thanks to a random player this morning.  Let me know if you'd like it.

I'll look for you. If there is one achievement I want it's my namesake, Damage, Inc (I think it is 20 artillery strikes during co-op)

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: September 05, 2008, 05:06:30 PM »

My impressions are that it's too arcadish, unpolished and boring.

I returned it to Gamefly today.

Bummer.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: September 05, 2008, 07:21:45 PM »

the warts i have seen which mark the game down a notch or two. 

camera view not being a chase cam makes some of the boat race missions a pain in the ass, especially the one with the prototype boat and all of the damn mines.  i did one and stopped.  and what the heck, as soon as you finish, the boat disappears out from under you.  thanks for dumping me off in the middle of a warzone in the fracking water,  finger

had one incredibly maddening moment which almost killed it for me.  i have been making a few backup saves "just in case" as i passed notable missions, and for some reason, my autosave ended up with an older timestamp after a string of missions for the pirates.  i didn't know that my save game was the older one until after i did a big mission for the plav and a bunch of other stuff.  so i go back to the pirate base thinking i would take the outposts for them and go after their hvt's.  nope, they never heard of me, so i get to do the damn jet ski race over again.  my autosave from earlier was overwritten by what i had just finished.  i had already done it twice the first time due to getting ganked by a gunboat (a pirate gunboat too?!), but i wasn't interested in going after the next mission target just yet, so i went ahead anyways.  about 3 checkpoints from the end, a damn vz soldier one-shots me with a perfectly aimed rpg out of nowhere.   mad 

i have seen the minor issues like an empty floating helicopter which explodes if i try to steal it, cannon fodder allies and wildly inaccurate rpg trajectory (why are my shots so damn likely to fly off at odd angles, but yet a single vz hits me dead on the nose?!)

still, i haven't soured on the game though.  trashing that fortress was awesome. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: September 05, 2008, 07:40:36 PM »

Quote from: Caine on September 05, 2008, 07:21:45 PM

about 3 checkpoints from the end, a damn vz soldier one-shots me with a perfectly aimed rpg out of nowhere.  

I had the exact same thing happen to me.  One funny thing I saw was two fishing trawlers, one propped half up on the deck of the other at about a 45 degree angle.  Yet, they were just chugging along like that. I got up on the deck of one and my health started dropping like a rock (or maybe it was the boat's health). No idea how they got that way or what was going on.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #204 on: September 05, 2008, 07:42:43 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on September 05, 2008, 07:40:36 PM

about 3 checkpoints from the end, a damn vz soldier one-shots me with a perfectly aimed rpg out of nowhere.  
I had the exact same thing happen to me.

I also had the exact same thing happen to me. Cheating bastards.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 05, 2008, 10:32:57 PM »

camera view not being a chase cam makes some of the boat race missions a pain in the ass, especially the one with the prototype boat and all of the damn mines.  i did one and stopped.  and what the heck, as soon as you finish, the boat disappears out from under you.  thanks for dumping me off in the middle of a warzone in the fracking water,  finger

I had to do that mission a good half dozen times. However, being dumped out there made me realize that I could catch a lift on a little river ferry. Also I came across the (or one of) the pirate islands. Cool.

XBL gamertag: jztemple
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #206 on: September 05, 2008, 11:46:25 PM »

Finished the story as Matthias this afternoon. I enjoyed it. I immediately restarted as the chick and it didn't seem like I got anything extra out of it (no new game+) type stuff. The girl is WAY less annoying than Matthias. I did the first two missions and never got hurt enough to say how much difference Matthias fast healing helped.

I don't really know how much time it took me... way less than 20 hours. I did a lot of extra missions and barely used anything out of my stockpile.

The last missions has a couple things that royally suck. One to do with targeting that I guess I can take blame for, but caused me to repeat a long, annoying, yet trivial section a couple times. The other was one of those button pressing action sequences like when you are hijacking a vehicle only longer and more punishing if you screw it up.

Other than that, I enjoyed the game quite a bit all the way through. I did a decent bit of side missions, HVTs and destroying buildings and ended up just shy of $97 million. No idea how you get the billion dollar achievement -that's a lot of grinding.  Maybe multi-player options help?

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 06, 2008, 12:06:13 AM »

Gamespot posted their review of the game and gave it a stellar 5.0. Ouch.
Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 06, 2008, 12:25:17 AM »

Quote from: Jimmy the Fish on September 06, 2008, 12:06:13 AM

Yeah, that's weird. I might not like a game the sites rank highly, but rarely do I like a game that gets such mediocre or bad reviews. Yet I find M2 compelling for it's fun gameplay, the variety of terrain and missions, and the fairly decent backstory. Sure, the AI is lame, but when you are outnumbered 20 or more to one on every mission, it's not like I could survive unless they were almost brain dead.

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #209 on: September 06, 2008, 12:34:03 AM »

I've picked up and enjoyed many a game that got mediocre professional review scores, but never at full price.  I kind of like low scores.  Seems to help with a quicker price drop. 

I am Xboxalot on Live.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: September 06, 2008, 02:24:47 AM »

EA's check must not have cleared.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 06, 2008, 03:29:19 AM »

Questions:

Has anyone gotten the PC version? How is it?
For the co-op is it 2, 3, or more players maximum (there are 3 characters)?
thanks
warning

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 06, 2008, 03:42:01 AM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on September 06, 2008, 02:24:47 AM

EA's check must not have cleared.

Nice.  Very nice.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 06, 2008, 04:23:33 AM »

A 5.0, like puppies, is BS.  There's no way this game is a 5.0.  It seems like GS is deflating scores lately to proove they're 'credible'.  It's easily a high 7.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 06, 2008, 04:33:51 AM »

so I guess they'll be hiring soon?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #215 on: September 06, 2008, 05:32:24 AM »

Quote from: Punisher on September 06, 2008, 03:29:19 AM

Questions:

Has anyone gotten the PC version? How is it?
For the co-op is it 2, 3, or more players maximum (there are 3 characters)?
thanks

What little I've heard on the PC version states that it's a 'dirty port' of the 360/PS3 version. A dual-analog controller is practically required, as tapping the keys to turn in the faster vehicles sends you spinning out of control. You're also required to use EA's server browser/account to find games, and like the 360/PS3 version, you have exactly two options when using multiplayer - join a friend, or join a random game. There is no server browser. And there's no LAN play either.

And as far as co-op goes - max of 2 players.

So, in my game, I just got the top-end tank from the AN (the Liberator, if I remember right - basically an M1 Abrams). It's...powerful. Very VERY powerful. It can one shot anything smaller than it is with its main gun, and anything period tends to go boom in 3 to 4 hits tops. And two of them on the battlefield, via co-op...is just plain wrong. biggrin

Oh, and Gamespot can go fuck themselves. While the game does have flaws, it's a solid 8.0 to 8.5 in my book. It's no 5 out of 10.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Owain
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: September 06, 2008, 07:43:12 AM »

Quote from: coopasonic on September 05, 2008, 11:46:25 PM

Other than that, I enjoyed the game quite a bit all the way through. I did a decent bit of side missions, HVTs and destroying buildings and ended up just shy of $97 million. No idea how you get the billion dollar achievement -that's a lot of grinding.  Maybe multi-player options help?

You can do the level 3 winch challenge over and over.  I believe it eventually maxes out at 50 million but you can keep doing it until you reach the billion.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 06, 2008, 01:58:20 PM »

from the GS review, yes i went to the site. yes i feel dirty.

Mercenaries 2 is filled with bugs and glitches that are unacceptable in a retail release. Even if it were possible to overlook the broken elements, you're still left with abysmal AI, repetitive mission structure, unsatisfying weapons, and a huge world without much to do. Mindless, random destruction provides some thrills, but there are so many better open-world action games out there (including the original Mercenaries for the PlayStation 2 and Xbox) that there's no reason to spend your time and money on this clearly unfinished game.

Bugs. Yes.
Glitches. Yes.
Repetitive missions. Yes.
Abysmal AI. Yes.
Unsatisfying weapons. No
Not much to do. No.

Yet somehow the game is far better than a 5.  It's inexplicable. Though I agree with the unfinished part, it definitely could have used another 3 or so months of polish and clean up.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: September 06, 2008, 02:19:22 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 06, 2008, 04:33:51 AM

so I guess they'll be hiring soon?

doog-a-ding!

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: September 06, 2008, 02:44:26 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on September 06, 2008, 01:58:20 PM

Unsatisfying weapons. No
Not much to do. No.

the weapons aren't bad, but I have to agree that other than driving around and blowing stuff up there's not that much variety.  sure, there's racing (ugh) and challenges (stopped doing those after I played a couple of level 2 ones and saw they were exactly the same only with less time) but it feels like I have less to do than in the first Mercs.

Maybe if they added a dating sim  icon_wink

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #220 on: September 06, 2008, 05:59:45 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 06, 2008, 02:44:26 PM

God, it was that kind of crap that made me quit playing GTA4.  I was never allowed to do what I want because some dumbass was always calling me for a date (or man-date).  I am glad that this is just a big, dumb, blow-shit-up game, because it's just plain fun.  It has me really looking forward to Just Cause 2.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: September 06, 2008, 07:08:57 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on September 06, 2008, 05:59:45 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on September 06, 2008, 02:44:26 PM

God, it was that kind of crap that made me quit playing GTA4.  I was never allowed to do what I want because some dumbass was always calling me for a date (or man-date).  I am glad that this is just a big, dumb, blow-shit-up game, because it's just plain fun.  It has me really looking forward to Just Cause 2.

you do know those were optional?  Sheesh. 

I'm liking Mercs2, but I'd rate it somewhere between GT's review and Gamespots.  The lack of polish and bugs is what kept this game from a GTAIV caliber type of game.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #222 on: September 06, 2008, 07:23:06 PM »

Yes, I know they were "optional", but if they are there and keep presenting themselves to me I have a pathologic need not to fail and miss out on the content/options they present. 

I agree that Mercs 2 is not an A+ game but I guess I enjoy it despite its flaws, whereas some other games' flaws (like GTA4) drive me away. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: September 06, 2008, 09:32:10 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on September 06, 2008, 07:23:06 PM

Yes, I know they were "optional", but if they are there and keep presenting themselves to me I have a pathologic need not to fail and miss out on the content/options they present. 

I agree that Mercs 2 is not an A+ game but I guess I enjoy it despite its flaws, whereas some other games' flaws (like GTA4) drive me away. 

You can turn your phone off and not even be bothered by the calls.  That's generally what I do.  Or I'll say, "Sure, I'll go bowling with you" then call back a half second later to say, "Sorry, I can't make it," which apparently keeps them happy with you.  Still, it is a PITA to have to keep switching that "feature" off.   The dating gameplay is easily the worst thing about GTA IV.  And it's a big thing.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: September 08, 2008, 05:56:00 PM »

there is a sale on near me and it says all chart titles £25(£40 usually)..but it only showed this game,i would rather have infinite undiscovery,but this title is on my want list as well

if this game IS all they have that is on the sale i will be picking this up..i love sandbox games...GTA4,crackdown,Just Cause,Mercs 1, so i reckon i would prolly like this

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: September 09, 2008, 10:53:59 AM »

How much am I liking Mercenaries 2? I got Spore over the weekend and played about five hours of it. Yesterday when I had some game time in the evening I decided to go back to M2 since I'm having more fun with that.

IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: September 09, 2008, 01:04:55 PM »

From what I hear about Spore, though, that's damning with faint praise.

I'm liking Mercs2.  Not loving it.  It definitely has its moments of blowy-uppy fun, but the lack of polish and overall bugginess are really unacceptable in a $60 game.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: September 09, 2008, 06:56:13 PM »

did a pretty interesting mission this morning with multiple objectives and some attempts to stay on china's good side.  unfortunately, it didn't work out and now they hate my guts.  wonder how much that will cost me.  made 5 mil on the mission though, so it's all good.  i'll probably stick with the allies for now and go back to them later. 

getting closer to the moab...

no more glitches or errors to report, but i feel the onset of burning out with it.  still, it's been a fun ride, if a little bumpy.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: September 10, 2008, 12:32:50 AM »

Here's a tip to getting someone back on your side. Find one of the HVT's the hostile faction wants brought in. When you capture them, they can't be picked up because the faction is hostile. So shoot then verify them. One or two of those should get you to neutral status. Besides, regarding cash I just start up a game and do Winching Challenge 3 which nets me $5 million right off the bat. I never blow through that in a play session so I worry less about money and more about completing missions and having fun. Do the winching challenge a couple of times and cash is no longer an issue at all.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: September 10, 2008, 12:42:37 AM »

cash is so easy to accumulate that it's pretty much meaningless.  hell, i have over 50 mil right now, and i tend to buy a few of each item from the shop whenever i visit a base.  i just hate spending it on bribes. slywink

easiest way i have found for bringing up your faction rating without pissing off the other one is to grab a helicopter with rockets and go after their target buildings.  rockets have some great range and outdistance their sight/awareness.  plus, you can also try to drop the fuel tanks on the ground next to the building for a cheap and effective bomb.  not so easy to do if the thing is swaying though. 

DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: September 10, 2008, 04:10:15 AM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on September 10, 2008, 12:32:50 AM

Here's a tip to getting someone back on your side. Find one of the HVT's the hostile faction wants brought in. When you capture them, they can't be picked up because the faction is hostile. So shoot then verify them. One or two of those should get you to neutral status. Besides, regarding cash I just start up a game and do Winching Challenge 3 which nets me $5 million right off the bat. I never blow through that in a play session so I worry less about money and more about completing missions and having fun. Do the winching challenge a couple of times and cash is no longer an issue at all.

That's outstanding, I have been doing the same thing. Quick 5 mil to fuel my tank addiction

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #231 on: September 10, 2008, 05:50:38 AM »

Note on Winching Challenge 3: Once you break $100 million in the bank, you start getting more than 5 million for completing it (as the minimum is always 5% of your current funds). I know that somebody else said it somewhere, but it bears repeating.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: September 10, 2008, 04:26:45 PM »

just got this and Too Human...er..thats it,i just wanted to share that knowledge

oh and also like to say(if not already said) nice review Mitch

http://www.gamingtrend.com/Reviews/review/review.php?ReviewID=1087

what do you think the DLC will be?

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: September 10, 2008, 05:17:22 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on September 10, 2008, 04:26:45 PM

just got this and Too Human...

Too bad about that Too Human purchase, see http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/213-Too-Human

Have to agree, a great review, really nailed the utter fun of the game. If there's DLC coming, I'm in.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 05:20:19 PM by Roscoe » Logged

Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: September 10, 2008, 09:16:17 PM »

Sheesh, how do I beat the "Deliver the Rum" mission? I keep getting either my truck destroyed or... well, pretty much my truck gets destroyed every time.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: September 10, 2008, 09:34:49 PM »

Quote from: Roscoe on September 10, 2008, 09:16:17 PM

Sheesh, how do I beat the "Deliver the Rum" mission? I keep getting either my truck destroyed or... well, pretty much my truck gets destroyed every time.

Hm, I don't recall having much trouble with that one. The chickens one is the tricky one (I won't spoil why). Just take a wide berth at any roadblocks - don't be afraid to go on the side of the road. You shouldn't lose any jugs unless you hit something.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #236 on: September 10, 2008, 09:48:19 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on September 10, 2008, 09:34:49 PM

Quote from: Roscoe on September 10, 2008, 09:16:17 PM

Hm, I don't recall having much trouble with that one. The chickens one is the tricky one (I won't spoil why). Just take a wide berth at any roadblocks - don't be afraid to go on the side of the road. You shouldn't lose any jugs unless you hit something.

You also have plenty of time (if I remember right), so just take it easy. Drive carefully, head offroad if you need to, etc etc.

Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: September 10, 2008, 09:53:54 PM »

OMG, I just grappled my first chopper. Forget GTA4 and Spore, this is GOTY!!!  icon_biggrin

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #238 on: September 10, 2008, 10:33:42 PM »

Quote from: Roscoe on September 10, 2008, 09:53:54 PM

OMG, I just grappled my first chopper. Forget GTA4 and Spore, this is GOTY!!!  icon_biggrin

Yeah, choppers are a ton of fun. Now, for your next trick, bring out the winch (left on the digital pad on the 360 version), and grab a car, jeep, tank, or oil barrel. Proceed to toss it around for maximum fun.

walTer

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: September 10, 2008, 10:33:48 PM »

Quote from: Roscoe on September 10, 2008, 09:53:54 PM

I just got Eva last nite...I was playing coop so we opted to get me the jet pilot directly after that (coop helps a bunch) so I haven't tried the grapple yet.  Heh, I hope my kid doesn't need any help with her homework tonite cause daddy has a date with a chopper. biggrin
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: