http://gamingtrend.com
August 29, 2014, 06:45:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MegaMek  (Read 1142 times)
Dreamshadow
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: June 30, 2005, 12:06:40 AM »

Anyone here play BattleTech?  If so, would you be interested in playing it over the net?  I'm looking for a few good opponents and possibly people to campaign against.  The online campaign client is http://www.megamek.net/ and the basic (network capable) game is   at http://megamek.sourceforge.net/idx.php?pg=main.  For those who would like more information on this game, you can find it at http://www.classicbattletech.com/.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Freyland
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2005, 01:24:25 AM »

I'm looking into it for you (us).  I played Btech from the age of 12 to 25, but that was 8 years ago  smile

I won't get back to you until the weekend, however.  Life is busy!

Jonathan
Freyland
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2005, 02:07:30 AM »

Looks cool -- how hard are the rules to learn?  Sure, I'm not a good opponent or anything, but I could at least provide some target practice while I learn the ropes...  :wink:

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2005, 04:19:29 AM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
Looks cool -- how hard are the rules to learn?  Sure, I'm not a good opponent or anything, but I could at least provide some target practice while I learn the ropes...  :wink:

All the situations are not simple...you really need to know the game to understand *ALL* the details.  But...MegaMek does a good job of stepping you through each phase of the battle.  If you don't know anything about the game, you could survive just by playing against a bot or yourself.  You just won't know why your mech is overheating in some situations, or know if you have special moves or options in some situations.

To start a bot, run MegaMek again after hosting a game.  Select Connect As a  Bot.  Once you pick the mechs for your bot, you then hit I'm Ready, and pick your own mechs on your screen.  Once the game has started, you don't need to do anything on the Bot version until the match is done.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2005, 03:14:54 PM »

MegaMek is awesome, I keep forgetting about it.
Vidiot

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2005, 04:53:48 AM »

I have had it installed forever.  The persistant online thingy is kinda cool.  But I never seem to get around to playing it.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2005, 03:10:12 AM »

I used to play the original battletech, complete with minis and everything.

I found the rules took a little too long to work out and hex based terrain was hard to make, but with computer automation it should be nice.

Now all we need is a 3D version with spiffy graphics.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2005, 04:34:31 AM »

So when do we kick the grandmelee into gear?

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Freyland
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2005, 07:08:05 AM »

I'm out-- not because I want to be, but I will not have the time this weekend to dig into it.  Perhaps another time!

Jonathan
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: