http://gamingtrend.com
October 30, 2014, 04:46:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Medieval 2: Total War  (Read 6243 times)
Kobra
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2006, 06:15:10 PM »

I am going to have to wait on this, the demo wasn't impressive to me and didn't show the TBS stuff, which is what is important to me.. Not to mention, I am just not a fan of the series overall I must admit, and Rome fell entirely flat on me - I regretted buying it.

Perhaps when it reaches under $30 threshold.

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2006, 06:52:52 PM »

Quote from: Kobra on November 09, 2006, 06:15:10 PM

I am going to have to wait on this, the demo wasn't impressive to me and didn't show the TBS stuff, which is what is important to me.. Not to mention, I am just not a fan of the series overall I must admit, and Rome fell entirely flat on me - I regretted buying it.

Perhaps when it reaches under $30 threshold.
There's no reason for you to get this game.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2006, 07:53:19 PM »

Quote from: Eduardo X on November 09, 2006, 05:27:29 PM

When R:TW came out, my computer's motherboard was dead. I had to wait 4 weeks for Alienware to get it back to me. It was sheer agony.

That would have been agony for me as well.

Every year a Total War game or expansion is released, I am ecstatic and bummed at the same time.  Ecstatic cause the game is so unbelievably good, and bummed because I usually have all these other games I just bought that get totally shuffled off to collecting dust for awhile.  This year appears to be no different.   icon_wink

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
TC Weidner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2006, 08:32:31 PM »

I love the TB side of these games, but I get bored as hell in the RTS side of combat. It just seems to be a pain, I want to be able to just watch the battle unfold, not fight with constant positioning.

I should LOVE these games but yet they have grown stale for me, even know the graphics are becoming more stunning each version.

What I would love to see this game switch to is a new type of battle command structure.  I think setting up your troops is fine but once the battle begins I think you should see the battle from horseback, and from certain scouts positions which you can preset, I think then as the battle progresses, you continually get updates from riders, scouts, and then you can adjust according to a large set of options.

Just my 2 cents, but I want to be a part of the battle as if I was a lord or king in charge, as if I was there, All these pauses, overhead shots, is too godlike for me.  Battles are won and lost basically before anyone sets foot on the battlefield, I want to enjoy and get caught up in the carnage and outrageous action of battle, as it is now, Battles are little more than a chore to me.
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2006, 09:04:08 PM »

Quote from: TC Weidner on November 09, 2006, 08:32:31 PM

Just my 2 cents, but I want to be a part of the battle as if I was a lord or king in charge, as if I was there, All these pauses, overhead shots, is too godlike for me.  Battles are won and lost basically before anyone sets foot on the battlefield, I want to enjoy and get caught up in the carnage and outrageous action of battle, as it is now, Battles are little more than a chore to me.

There is a camera option in Rome that restricts your view to the Generals unit. It's hard as hell compared to the default option, but it's quite a blast to be running back and forth along your lines, trying to get a good look as to what is happening, while ordering the nearby units to do your bidding.  nod
CSL

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2006, 07:19:01 AM »

Quote from: Booner on November 09, 2006, 09:04:08 PM

Quote from: TC Weidner on November 09, 2006, 08:32:31 PM

There is a camera option in Rome that restricts your view to the Generals unit. It's hard as hell compared to the default option, but it's quite a blast to be running back and forth along your lines, trying to get a good look as to what is happening, while ordering the nearby units to do your bidding.  nod

It also realistically encourages you to place your general on the highest vantage point you can get so that you can get a better view of the battlefield and position your reserves.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2006, 04:28:22 PM »

So.... who's going to give us Initial Impressions first?

I probably won't have time to really dig into the game until the weekend.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2006, 08:21:50 PM »

I was thinking about it but couldnt pull the trigger for 49.99 on what I really feel is essentially Medieval dressed up in Rome's packaging.I really WANT to play it though frown
Clay

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2006, 11:05:59 PM »

I haven't played any of the earlier entries in the series, but I picked this up from Steam today and it looks awesome.  I've just completed the tutorials.  With the graphics turned all the way up, it's really a treat and looks much more like the second screenshot above than the first one.  The camera is difficult for me to control, but I guess that it's the same as earlier games in the series.  This looks like one that I will really put a lot of time into.  I'm glad I bought it!

xbox live: nude rick james
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2006, 11:31:22 PM »

Can't install crybaby
when I get to the screen and I enter my cd key the next button stays grayed out even after I enter my cd key do I have a defective dvd?

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
Windows95
Gaming Trend Reader

Uses only Genuine Microsoft Software!

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2006, 01:49:40 AM »

Downloading the game from Steam right now.  I was avoiding my local gaming store in an attempt to save money, but then I saw it on Steam.  Damn if it isn't near impossible to resist a quick point and click purchase online.  :icon_sad:

16-bit and loving it!
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2006, 01:51:18 AM »

I still have to reinstall steam biggrin

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 12, 2006, 01:39:49 AM »

Hey guys,
the hype for this game seemed to die down very quickly here at GT. I have some extra cash from my game sale and am thinking of picking up a new PC game-this one is near the top of the list. I was hoping for some more updated impressions from you all, specifically regarding the following: 1. advancements in combat, 2. overall improvements over previous games, 3. improvements in reducing the awful micro and grind of late game expansion/conquering.

Thanks!!
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 12, 2006, 02:49:25 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on December 12, 2006, 01:39:49 AM

Hey guys,
the hype for this game seemed to die down very quickly here at GT. I have some extra cash from my game sale and am thinking of picking up a new PC game-this one is near the top of the list. I was hoping for some more updated impressions from you all, specifically regarding the following: 1. advancements in combat, 2. overall improvements over previous games, 3. improvements in reducing the awful micro and grind of late game expansion/conquering.

Thanks!!
I play as much as I can without getting distracted by my shiney 360.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 12, 2006, 02:55:44 AM »

Quote from: Eduardo X on December 12, 2006, 02:49:25 AM

Hey guys,

Thanks!!

Anything more specific Ed? And btw, thats my problem with ALL PC games right now-360 shiny!!
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 12, 2006, 04:35:35 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on December 12, 2006, 02:55:44 AM

Quote from: Eduardo X on December 12, 2006, 02:49:25 AM

Hey guys,

Thanks!!

Anything more specific Ed? And btw, thats my problem with ALL PC games right now-360 shiny!!
Well, the combat is not that much better than in R:TW, it is just with different units. I find it plays amazingly, but I can't deny I'm a TW fanboi. Also, I haven't gotten far enough to see about the micro and grind in the late game, but things do seem a lot more streamlined this time around.
I have found that the AI can put up a major fight at times, but usually won't.

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 13, 2006, 08:47:55 AM »

Hey guys,
the hype for this game seemed to die down very quickly here at GT.

I think most people are waiting for the bloody patch to be released before they keep playing.  I know I am anyways.
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 13, 2006, 01:51:40 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on December 13, 2006, 08:47:55 AM

Hey guys,

I think most people are waiting for the bloody patch to be released before they keep playing.  I know I am anyways.
Creative Assembly sure does like to take their time with patches. They're usually well worth the wait, but OH the WAIT!

Windows95
Gaming Trend Reader

Uses only Genuine Microsoft Software!

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 13, 2006, 04:28:51 PM »

Hey guys,

Are they actually releasing a patch to add this? 

16-bit and loving it!
ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 22, 2006, 12:28:03 AM »

Quote from: Windows95 on December 13, 2006, 04:28:51 PM

Hey guys,

Are they actually releasing a patch to add this? 

I would hope so, that would be an awesome addition. 

Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 22, 2006, 05:26:07 AM »

Yeah, this game went down like a $2 hooker.  What happened?

I skipped it because the demo left me feeling "Blah".  But I was on standby for any super-news from it, and a sub-$20 price tag.  Now that I see the sub $20 price tag has arrived, I haven't seen remotely any hype to draw me closer to pulling the trig.

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 24, 2006, 07:41:41 PM »

I finally finished my "short" campaign as Spain. What a ride! I took out France, Portugal, and the Moors, all while having the Danes, Milan, and Scotland pounding away at my cities. As technology started improving, I lost a few battles, and that made me say "wow, this game IS better than R:TW."
I can't get enough of this game, and I'll be playing again as some sort of non-Catholic country this time so I don't have to deal with the damn Pope anymore.

ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 24, 2006, 08:02:48 PM »

I am tempted to purchase the game...with the sales that are going on, I can't go wrong Tongue

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: December 24, 2006, 10:02:00 PM »

They need to return to Shogun, or do a Chinese Total War.

That or a fantasy or modern/future total war.

I'm planning to buy this with some christmas money and get some play time while I still have time.  I want to see if I can add a new unit type to the game since I'm flexing my modding muscles.  After that, I'm going to try making a mod where the Aztecs and any other native american armies have their own medieval era with plenty of fictional units.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2006, 10:03:55 PM by Turtle » Logged
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 25, 2006, 12:01:14 AM »

Quote from: ROTC1983 on December 24, 2006, 08:02:48 PM

I am tempted to purchase the game...with the sales that are going on, I can't go wrong Tongue
I thought you already had. Really, for a game that lasts this long, with so much to see, you can get from 20-100s of hours out of this game. That's $1 an hour or less!
And if you don't like some aspects of the game, rest assured a mod will come along to fix it.

ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 25, 2006, 04:04:42 AM »

Quote from: Eduardo X on December 25, 2006, 12:01:14 AM

I thought you already had. Really, for a game that lasts this long, with so much to see, you can get from 20-100s of hours out of this game. That's $1 an hour or less!
And if you don't like some aspects of the game, rest assured a mod will come along to fix it.

I missed the sales...I saw them but then waited...now I am screwed  crybaby

Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 29, 2006, 05:56:05 PM »

My Turkish generals won't make speeches. Did they just not include speeches for Turks?

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: January 02, 2007, 09:06:03 AM »

Say, anyone know if MTW2 has the same problem as in RTW where if you set the unit size to Huge in the option screen, it changes the economy of the game?

In RTW, setting the unit size to huge puts a lot more men on the battlefield for those really epic fights.  However, it had the problem where the extra men in the units would affect the cities they were garrisoned in, not to mention affect the population loss when you recruited new units.

I'm wondering if they fixed this in MTW2, or if they removed the unit size setting.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 02, 2007, 06:49:34 PM »

There's a setting in the game options for "Default Unit Size," but no explanation for what it does so I've just left it at "Large."  Up until now, I suspected it would change the size of the units on the global strategic map.  I take it they actually affect the number of individual soldiers there are in an a given company?

Unfortunately, since I haven't experimented with the setting yet, I don't know the answer to your question.

-Autistic Angel
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: January 02, 2007, 11:37:54 PM »

In the original MTW1, changing this setting would only change the number of units on the field of battle.  What happened in MTW1 originally was the default large setting actually didn't display the full number of men in a unit on screen, instead it would only show a percentage of men based on the unit size setting.  Since the fighting in MTW wasn't that detailed, they could get away with this using purely mathematical computations instead of individual men fighting.

In RTW they switched to 1 model = 1 man with individual AI to match.  This made fights more detailed, but in order to get bigger battles you actually had to increase the number of men, leading to the problems above.

Overall, it wasn't a big problem, but it did have an affect on income and thus what the AI would build.

Ah well, I still want to see an Aztec Medieval era mod.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 03, 2007, 07:57:01 AM »

Quote from: ROTC1983 on December 25, 2006, 04:04:42 AM

Quote from: Eduardo X on December 25, 2006, 12:01:14 AM

I missed the sales...I saw them but then waited...now I am screwed  crybaby
Bah humbug me too.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 03, 2007, 07:08:22 PM »

Quote from: Turtle
In the original MTW1, changing this setting would only change the number of units on the field of battle.  What happened in MTW1 originally was the default large setting actually didn't display the full number of men in a unit on screen, instead it would only show a percentage of men based on the unit size setting.  Since the fighting in MTW wasn't that detailed, they could get away with this using purely mathematical computations instead of individual men fighting.

In RTW they switched to 1 model = 1 man with individual AI to match.  This made fights more detailed, but in order to get bigger battles you actually had to increase the number of men, leading to the problems above.

Why couldn't they simply adjust the performance of each individual unit up or down depending on the Unit Size setting?  For example, if they're going to add 25% more men on-screen, they could reduce the power of each soldier in the unit by a small fraction.  With the proper adjustments they should be able to achieve battle scenes that include a lot more soldiers, but would statistically operate in the same way.

-Autistic Angel
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: