http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 04:40:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Medieval 2: Total War  (Read 6237 times)
Scott
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 24, 2006, 02:59:37 AM »

Since we're hyping up and excited about Supreme Commander, and a couple other games, its time for some love for the next Total War series.  Rome: Total War was one of the best games of the past couple years, and Medieval 2: Total War looks significantly better.  Check out some shots here:

http://www.shacknews.com/screens.x/medieval2/Medieval+2:+Total+War/1/082306/082306_medieval2_1.jpg

Can't link them unfortunately.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 11:40:04 AM »

I am also extremely excited for the release of MTW:2. 
Out of my top 5 most anticipated games, it certainly is in the top 3, perhaps right behind SupCom.

Thanks for the update Scott. 

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 11:56:06 AM »

Magnificent!  Rome was a letdown for me, and fizzled in a matter of days primarily because I found the TBS part of it so lacking.
I liked the update to the TBS part for Rome.  Its lacking compared to games like Civ IV, but I thought it did an okay job.  Flaws showed up over time, and I always meant to try some of the mods to fix them but I never did.

Still, lots of fixes coming, and the battles just look fantastic.  It looks like this game's battles will be able to stand on their own as always. 

---
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2006, 12:05:54 AM »

Great find!  It looks very good.  Thanks.

---
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2006, 02:19:51 PM »

Ok, legitimate question here. Other than fancy schmancy graphical updates, really, how much are they changing and updating to make me want to buy this?

Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2006, 04:40:08 PM »

Significantly enhanced TBS mode.  I never got to line Rome, it felt shallow.  Supposedly, this one will be the deepest one yet. I applaud there moves to make it significantly more advanced and invovled.

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2006, 05:19:18 PM »

Changing from which game Calvin, the original Medieval Total War, or Rome? 

---
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2006, 05:38:01 PM »

Quote from: Scott on August 29, 2006, 05:19:18 PM

Honestly both Scott-but I guess primarily M:TW. I liked Rome, but only played two full games of it or so. I still think the TBS portion is fundamentally unsound, and the combat engine gets worse the more you play it. Don't get me wrnog though, I am a big fan of the games.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2006, 07:48:31 PM »

I really liked the combat engine in general, so I'm not sure what your complaints are about it. 

As mentioned, the turn based game has been upgraded, maybe extensively.  I still expect it to play similar to Rome in that aspect.  I've found the turn based stuff more then adequate though, especially for what its trying to accomplish.

Graphically the game is getting a bit upgrade.  Some of the interesting things for me are that they towns/castles are a lot better detailed now.  It looks like you'll really feel like your attacking a town with a castle, instead of small forts, which Rome somewhat suffered with.  The game is also getting an injection of color, thanks largely due to the time period.

Apparently, each unit is individual now, within the larger units, so the armies really look like armies, with a bit more variety then in the past.  Also, the battles should be more dynamic between the individual soldiers.

Other stuff has been added, like additional units.  It looks like there may be more gunpowder units then before, though maybe I'm not remembering correctly, its been awhile since the first Medieval.  America and South America apparently have been added, with its various tribes and battles.

Religon is apparently very important now, really being flushed out from Rome, and especially the first game.

The engine is just a really upgraded Rome version, but I think they've really added a ton of stuff.  I'm excited about the unit variety, and very large / complex castle maps and battles that will occur.

Anyway, these are just my impressions of the game at the moment.  Haven't looked recently, and not a lot of time to post, sorry its not terribly organized smile.

Right now, this is my most anticipated game.  I really thought Rome was one of the best games of the past few years.  Then again, I just love Roman and medieval history, so this is really up my ally.

---
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2006, 04:15:02 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on August 29, 2006, 05:38:01 PM

Quote from: Scott on August 29, 2006, 05:19:18 PM

Honestly both Scott-but I guess primarily M:TW. I liked Rome, but only played two full games of it or so. I still think the TBS portion is fundamentally unsound, and the combat engine gets worse the more you play it. Don't get me wrnog though, I am a big fan of the games.

I agree 100%. I found Rome a step backwards for the francise, and it just didn't draw me in.. I suspect they listened to the complaints, and fixed them in this latest incarnation.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2006, 05:05:35 PM »

All this talk is making me want to boot Rome back up and give it a whirl actually smile

Thanks for the info Scott-soundsl ike something I will get after the first price cut. Maybe a 29.99 title for me biggrin
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2006, 06:30:04 PM »

I always thought the previous campaign games were sloppy compared to Rome, as far as troop movement and overland strategy.  To simple and risk like, and no way to really protect your lands.

Rome's strategy map fixed a lot of that, and really improved with patches.  At least for me.  Rome's biggest problem was that the units never really felt that distinct in a lot of ways, and there were a lot fewer of them then in the earlier Medieval games.  Naval Warfare also wasn't as well done in Rome.  I enjoyed the scope of the Medieval game better then Rome as well.

---
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2006, 03:26:14 AM »

Uhh, WTF happened to the graphics?

Screenshot from today they released;

Screenshot from a couple months ago;

What the fuck is going on here?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2006, 11:44:35 PM by Kobra » Logged

Scott

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2006, 11:40:39 PM »

I can't see your screenshots.

---
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2006, 11:44:54 PM »

Working now?  A big WTF on the diff.

Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2006, 01:06:23 AM »

I wonder if that second screenshot was some sort of pre-rendered mockup. The difference between the two shots is quite startling though.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2006, 03:18:30 AM »

Working now, thanks.  The bottom shot looks a bit to nice, while the top looks worse then Rome as far as I remember.  Interesting though.  Hopefully a demo coming out soon.

---
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2006, 10:42:19 PM »

Heya Scott...

Here is a link to a blog page regarding the game.  I think this is a newish thing they are doing.

Demo is coming... but it's based on PRE-BETA code.  (I'm guessing they are pretty confident of their pre-beta work considering they plan on releasing that sucker).

Total War Blog Spot

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2006, 12:27:25 AM »

Excellent, thanks Lockdown. 

---
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2006, 03:12:46 AM »

Honestly looks very good to me. A little blurrier, a little less sharp and detailed on the textures, and a little bit more bloom going on, but otherwise I think a lot of difference is just in the type of units and the night/day in the shots.
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2006, 05:31:14 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on September 12, 2006, 03:12:46 AM

Honestly looks very good to me. A little blurrier, a little less sharp and detailed on the textures, and a little bit more bloom going on, but otherwise I think a lot of difference is just in the type of units and the night/day in the shots.

No way - one shot is from the game - the second, the first is a mock up. Check out the positions of the soldiers - the second they are all dead straight in line etc. The first they are very much in a fight - very realistic.  The actual shot the second looks heavily bloomed the other is very clear.

Tals

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2006, 12:45:05 PM »

The first one looks like a 5 year old graphic engine, the second one looks like what I would EXPECT it to look like on the very best machines.. Lets hope the first shot was a fluke, they released it to show how it looks on very poor machines or something.  I would be EXTREMELY let down if the graphics looked like the first shot in the game, thats actually slightly WORSE than RTW from the looks of it, and simply no excuse for that.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 12:48:16 PM by Kobra » Logged

Scott

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2006, 01:23:09 PM »

More screenshots:
http://www.shacknews.com/screens.x/medieval2/Medieval+2:+Total+War/1/091306

I'm not terribly impressed.

---
ioticus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2006, 02:37:37 PM »

Quote from: Scott on September 13, 2006, 01:23:09 PM

Maybe I'm out of the loop about what modern game graphics should look like, but those pics look great to me.
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2006, 03:46:34 PM »

Quote from: Scott on September 13, 2006, 01:23:09 PM

Damn, they really did tone them down from the stuff they've been showing us for the last year.  I bet once they got it all off the rendering machines, they realised that it just wouldn't run on current high end PCs.

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2006, 04:05:28 PM »

Just out of curiosity... who is going to actually ever play the Real Time portion of this game in those views / that close up?

Are you kidding me?  Most people I know play from a quasi-rts view most of the time anyway, managing their armies and coordinating maneuvers and such.  Or do you honestly want to watch pikeman #1230 stab horse archer #984 in the chest with cutting-edge graphics?

Is it really THAT important that the trunk of an elephant isn't all that clear to you guys?

Show me some up-to-date pictures of the RTS portion of the game zoomed out with thousands of troops on-screen at once, and then show me a picture of the castle I am about to rip to shreds.  Only then will I make any type of judgement on the graphics.

LD

Scott

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2006, 05:07:18 PM »

Show me some up-to-date pictures of the RTS portion of the game zoomed out with thousands of troops on-screen at once, and then show me a picture of the castle I am about to rip to shreds.  Only then will I make any type of judgement on the graphics.
I just don't like the general blurring effect on the units.  I can't really describe it.  I imagine that would hold up across the entire battlefield view. 

You're right, the zoomed out view really is the most important, but the graphics certainly are getting worse as the game gets closer which is disappointing.

---
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2006, 05:54:53 PM »

Quote from: Scott on September 13, 2006, 05:07:18 PM

You're right, the zoomed out view really is the most important, but the graphics certainly are getting worse as the game gets closer which is disappointing.

I agree, not to mention the credibility issue with releasing something that looks nothing like what we were told it was going to be like.  I remember the uproar over Oblivion when they significantly reduced the graphical detail of characters shortly before release.  Companies need to learn to stop doing this, right now this has gone from "Must buy" to "Wait and see" because I am quite leary of what the final cut will be and how it will look.

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2006, 06:53:44 PM »

Which is understandable, and I am not saying you are wrong to think that way.  Keep in mind however, that this game is being done by the same team who has done the other 3 games in the series, they are mondo-experienced with not only the genre, but what it takes to squeeze out every bit of oomph in this type of game.  I am confident, barring some major snafu, that things will turn out excellent, as Creative Assembly are a good bunch of programmers from what I've seen.

I can't "explain away" the seemingly downgraded graphics from the first shots we've seen, but I don't think it's time to get worried quite yet. 

LD

Scott

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2006, 07:48:03 PM »

I'm pretty confident overall, and will be buying this day one either way.  The previous games are amongst my favorite games ever. 

---
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2006, 12:10:47 PM »

In case you guys missed this one.

IGN previews the Byzantine Empire

Regardless of how hard I try to keep my anticipation level down, it is difficult not to be extremely excited for this game.

LD

Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2006, 04:35:43 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on September 17, 2006, 12:10:47 PM

In case you guys missed this one.

IGN previews the Byzantine Empire

Regardless of how hard I try to keep my anticipation level down, it is difficult not to be extremely excited for this game.

Yeah, I can't wait.
Thanks for that link.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2006, 07:57:21 PM »

IGN previews...

SICILY!

LD

IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2006, 08:56:38 PM »

Somebody summarize for me the important changes they're making to the TBS portion of the game since R:TW.  I don't want to have to "read" a whole lot of "stuff"

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2006, 02:09:27 AM »

More new pics up at IGN if you want to look.  Personally, I think it's time for the worry-worts to chill.

Link to IGN media page

If you don't want to go, here is one I picked out for ya.

[attachment deleted by admin]

LD

siege

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2006, 02:55:31 AM »

Minimum System Requirements: English version of Microsoft® Windows® 2000/XP.
Celeron 1.8GHz Pentium 4® (1500MHz) or equivalent AMD® processor.
512MB RAM.
8x Speed DVD-ROM drive (1200KB/sec sustained transfer rate) and latest drivers.
11.0 Gigs of uncompressed free hard disk space.
100% DirectX® 9.0c compatible 16-bit sound card and latest drivers.
100% Windows® 2000/XP compatible mouse, keyboard and latest drivers.
DirectX® 9.0c.
128MB Hardware Accelerated video card with Shader 1 support and the latest drivers.
Must be 100% DirectX® 9.0c compatible.
Monitor must be able to display 1024x768 resolution or above.

11 gigs? That's a huge game.
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2006, 04:11:53 AM »

I should really stop looking at previews. It is a waste of time.
I already know I'm getting the game and I know I will love it.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2006, 07:31:38 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on September 26, 2006, 08:56:38 PM

Somebody summarize for me the important changes they're making to the TBS portion of the game since R:TW.  I don't want to have to "read" a whole lot of "stuff"
Yes please.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2006, 04:22:55 PM »

IMPORTANT

It Has Gone Gold

And reviews are trickling in already.... all pretty darn good.

icon_biggrin
« Last Edit: November 09, 2006, 04:26:17 PM by Lockdown » Logged

LD

Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2006, 05:27:29 PM »

92% average on Gamerankings from 3 reviews.
I almost regret scheduling a vacation for 11/15. Now how will I play my precious?

When R:TW came out, my computer's motherboard was dead. I had to wait 4 weeks for Alienware to get it back to me. It was sheer agony.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: