http://gamingtrend.com
August 01, 2014, 04:34:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: media connect with 360  (Read 1242 times)
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 03, 2006, 12:26:34 PM »

has anyone done this?..connected their PC to their 360...i did it the other day,had to download Zune software(they have got rid of the other type i guess)to my PC

anyway,it worked i could play music that was on my pc and view pictures on that was on my pc ..but i cannot watch videos on my 360 that are on my PC

someone said it only allows you to watch WMV(which means that it is pretty useless altogether then)

does anyone know where i can get a programme that will convert video files(avi,mpeg etc) to WMV?

thanks

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2006, 01:45:58 PM »

http://www.tversity.com/

Supposedly the latest version will do transcoding on the fly.  On the other hand, I've never gotten my Media Center PC to connect to my 360 successfully.  Now that this one does conversion on the fly, I plan on trying again.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2006, 02:54:28 PM »

how do you connect it?

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2006, 03:33:02 PM »

Quote from: Xmann on December 03, 2006, 02:54:28 PM

how do you connect it?

Mine is trying to go over WiFi

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2006, 04:08:04 PM »

when using WiFi Microsoft states that only one or the other can be over the air. So if your 360 is wireless the PC needs to be plugged in. Don't ask me why or how they know, but that is in the official MS setup and documentation for the the Media Center connect.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2006, 04:10:13 PM »

Quote from: Tebunker on December 03, 2006, 04:08:04 PM

when using WiFi Microsoft states that only one or the other can be over the air. So if your 360 is wireless the PC needs to be plugged in. Don't ask me why or how they know, but that is in the official MS setup and documentation for the the Media Center connect.

Uh... Somebody apparently didn't tell my laptop/PC that, as I can have both wireless and get the Media Center to connect. All I have is the 'official program' they have you install that helps link the two devices together a bit better.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2006, 04:20:02 PM »

Quote from: Tebunker on December 03, 2006, 04:08:04 PM

More specifically.

Xbox 360 -> Pelican Switch Box -> Wireless Access point ~ Wireless Router -> Wired to PC   

I've even tried bypassing the switch box to no avail. As far as what the Xbox sees, it is a 'wired' connection.  It can see the PC, but when I attempt to get any media off of it it says it doesn't see any.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Windows95
Gaming Trend Reader

Uses only Genuine Microsoft Software!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2006, 04:27:55 PM »

Connecting my PC to my 360 was relatively easy iirc.  I followed the MS documentation and it worked on the first try (though I don't remember the details now). You just need the media connect ap on your PC, run it and allow your 360 to connect.  I've got both my PC and laptop setup for this, so I've been able to stream music and pictures both over a wired connection and wireless (the 360 is wireless as well).  I didn't know you could actually stream videos.  I have several .wmv files on both my PCs, but I don't recall the 360 ever giving me the option to watch them.  I'll have to look into that some more.

16-bit and loving it!
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2006, 04:55:16 PM »

Quote from: Windows95 on December 03, 2006, 04:27:55 PM

Connecting my PC to my 360 was relatively easy iirc.  I followed the MS documentation and it worked on the first try (though I don't remember the details now). You just need the media connect ap on your PC, run it and allow your 360 to connect.  I've got both my PC and laptop setup for this, so I've been able to stream music and pictures both over a wired connection and wireless (the 360 is wireless as well).  I didn't know you could actually stream videos.  I have several .wmv files on both my PCs, but I don't recall the 360 ever giving me the option to watch them.  I'll have to look into that some more.

Well, you can't use Windows 95 to do it. slywink

Seriously, you have to have Media Center to stream videos.  (or use a third party hack)
My PC is running that connect software from MS, and it sees my 360 just fine and is set to allow it, blah blah blah.  It still won't connect though.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2006, 04:58:19 PM »

thanks for the replies guys

knightshade,i will give that tversity a go

anyone having problems,this page helped me....but then again its the page your 360 tells you to go to

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/pcsetup/XPSP2.htm

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2006, 05:48:57 PM »

i downloaded that tversity,added the .exe to the downloaded files so they could be opened and installed and now that i have it up and running...i havent got a frogs ass of a clue what to do...tried troubleshooting and clicking on help......but all that is said is greek to me

seems as though it goes out of its way to be complicated when all i wanna do is watch south park on my 360 crybaby

if anyone figures all of it out give me a shout

why MS has to bloody use that crap outdated WMV is beyond me...just 'cos its windows...its virtually non existant
« Last Edit: December 03, 2006, 06:01:43 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2006, 06:16:22 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on December 03, 2006, 12:26:34 PM

has anyone done this?..connected their PC to their 360...i did it the other day,had to download Zune software(they have got rid of the other type i guess)to my PC

anyway,it worked i could play music that was on my pc and view pictures on that was on my pc ..but i cannot watch videos on my 360 that are on my PC

someone said it only allows you to watch WMV(which means that it is pretty useless altogether then)

does anyone know where i can get a programme that will convert video files(avi,mpeg etc) to WMV?

thanks

i've been using the Media Connect software since january and it works great for streaming mp3/wma audio and pictures to the 360...but it doesn't support video.  when the Media Connect software was originally released, support for video was a feature you could only get by using a Media Center PC.  now, the official way to get streaming video from MS is to use WMP 11...haven't tried it yet, but it's supposed to work with mp3, wma, wav, wmv, avi, and mpeg-1/2.  if you want to stream any other video formats, you'll have to try something like TVersity...which works really well from what i've heard.  i haven't tried it myself yet...

FYI...Media Connect also has the problem of being a major resource hog.  it has to rescan all your media files every time you reboot your PC, and this can take quite a while if you have a lot of songs/movies.  when it's done scanning, it takes up quite a bit of memory...mine's showing about 43MB right now.  my suspicions are that TVersity could be a little more efficient...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Mookee
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2006, 07:07:02 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon
Seriously, you have to have Media Center to stream videos.  (or use a third party hack)

Eh? Not anymore. With WMP 11 you can stream WMV's to the 360 with plain old XP. Or do you mean something other than WMV's?

Quote from: metallicorphan on December 03, 2006, 05:48:57 PM

i downloaded that tversity,added the .exe to the downloaded files so they could be opened and installed and now that i have it up and running...i havent got a frogs ass of a clue what to do...tried troubleshooting and clicking on help......but all that is said is greek to me

seems as though it goes out of its way to be complicated when all i wanna do is watch south park on my 360 crybaby

if anyone figures all of it out give me a shout

why MS has to bloody use that crap outdated WMV is beyond me...just 'cos its windows...its virtually non existant

It is kind of a pain to get going. Do you have a specific question?  This post on their forums is a good starting point:

http://forums.tversity.com/viewtopic.php?p=14348#14348

There might be more advice later in that thread. I haven't read it all.
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2006, 09:35:29 PM »

i dl'd the media center software, Zune, on my pc and i cant get it to connect to my 360.  i use my wireless network to play online and it works without a hitch.  when i go into the options of zune to set it up to share it with my 360, i don't see my 360 in the list of devices to share it with.

anyone have any guesses on why this might be?

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2006, 05:17:18 AM »

Quote from: Xmann on December 03, 2006, 09:35:29 PM

i dl'd the media center software, Zune, on my pc and i cant get it to connect to my 360.  i use my wireless network to play online and it works without a hitch.  when i go into the options of zune to set it up to share it with my 360, i don't see my 360 in the list of devices to share it with.

anyone have any guesses on why this might be?

yeah i downloaded zune first,which i had no problems with music and pictures...to get it in touch with my 360 ...if you know this or not..

i clicked on options at the top (middleish)...then on library...and then (even though they done appear for some reason),there are more options ..i clicked on media sharing and there it has an option for 360...thats how i got mine connected,i hope that helps some

thanks for all your help...i will try that link mookee...and have another mess about with it

Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2006, 09:50:16 AM »

everytime i click on share media with 360, it comes up that it is disabled and no matter how many times i enable it, it always says it's not enabled.  i also never see any 360 listed in the box that says "share with this 360"

Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2006, 11:59:31 AM »

i'd like to try and get this working..anyone know why this might be happening to me?

Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2006, 04:55:45 PM »

First of all, WMP11 broke my streaming as well.  I had to Google and dig through several sites before I found a solution.  It's no longer simple to get it working and it boggles my mind that they implemented an "upgrade" that completely borked a setup that worked great under the original Media Sharing app.

It ended up that I had to go in to my router and enable the UPnP setting.  And I found that tip in the TVersity documentation.  It seems that you are having different issues so I can only recommend digging through here:
http://forums.xbox.com/333/ShowForum.aspx

I've found this feature to be mostly frustrating.  The playlists (music, videos, pictures) are not designated as such so they all show up under your Music Player.  The Video Player doesn't support playlists at all so you just have one gigantic list of files.   thumbsdown  Using TVersity doesn't help at all because it's a 360 issue.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2006, 05:29:30 PM »

MS does seem to be making this harder than it needs to be.  I got it working for pictures and mp3s but I haven't had much luck with video.

I will download tversity sometime and try it out to see if it is easier, but I doubt it will be.

Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2006, 06:04:34 PM »

While there were a few steps, TVersity wasn't that difficult to setup because the documentation was very helpful. 

1.  Make sure UPnP is enabled on your router.
2.  Put the MediaCenter.exe from the TVersity folder in your firewall exceptions list.
3.  360 -> go to the System panel and disconnect from your current computer (actually media sharing app).
4.  Go over to the Media panel and access the Music (or whatever).
5.  You'll see both the WMP11 server and the TVersity server.
6.  Select the TVersity and your files from there will show up.

Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2006, 10:42:44 PM »

Was the ability to stream videos w/o Media Center really added as a part of Media Player 11, or that big 360 firmware update a few months back?  From what I remember, I started to be able to stream videos almost immediately after I applied that 360 patch (and I'm fairly certain I hadn't upgraded Media Player at that point).

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2006, 11:13:39 PM »

Quote from: Dimmona on December 15, 2006, 10:42:44 PM

Was the ability to stream videos w/o Media Center really added as a part of Media Player 11, or that big 360 firmware update a few months back?  From what I remember, I started to be able to stream videos almost immediately after I applied that 360 patch (and I'm fairly certain I hadn't upgraded Media Player at that point).

The 360 firmware update. You can stream video using WMP11 alone,  or you can stream from earlier versions of WMP if you have Windows Media Connect. I couldn't get video streaming to work with WMP11, so I downgraded to 10 with media connect and it works fine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: