http://gamingtrend.com
April 20, 2014, 04:38:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Media Biased Against Gamers?  (Read 853 times)
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« on: August 09, 2004, 02:46:40 PM »

Ripped straight from our front page:

First we had the Manhunt issue from last week, blaming a death upon a video game (which turned out to be completely false), and now we have this report from CNN, with an article title of this:

Sheriff: 4 charged in Florida killings over Xbox

Looking further, in actually, the killings might've been caused over somebody stealing his clothes AND his Xbox. The article title says nothing about that though. Why? In my opinion, it's because it doesn't make as 'catchy' of a headline.

Your thoughts on this? Does the media truly hate us? Or is it all just for the bottom dollar?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2004, 03:09:25 PM »

Sensationalism at it's best.

I think the could be good for MS. Get's the X-Box name out there. :wink:

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Foxmerc
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2004, 07:18:42 PM »

You know the news guy from Spider Man? I wish I could say that was just a stereotype, but past the talking and cigar, it's the media goal. They care nothing for truth and decency, only what sells. And bad news with controversial topics tacked on is a nice headline to sell.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2004, 07:32:29 PM »

Damned media....buncha bastards.

Oh wait, I'm media.  D'oh!

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2004, 07:46:03 PM »

I've always considered Manhunt to be an irresponsible game, while at the same time a slap in the face to the media at large. If there's one game out there that could be seen as senationalising violence and mayhem, it would be Manhunt. Which means the Senate Oversight Committee on Video Gaming Violence will find out about it somewhere around 2012. biggrin

Next up, they'll find that Doom actually had a sequel!!!

The good news about electronic media and the government is e-media (games, news, etc) are all about instant flash-in-the-pan notification and gratification. Something as bulky and cumbersome as the federal government routinely points out just how out of touch with the world at large they are. When Senator Palpatine holds up a Nintendo Light Gun some years after it's released, it's past its time. Likewise, the media gets in an uproar over killings in Florida because some psycho's XBox was stolen, and ABC News reports it as "a man had several people killed in Florida over the theft of his XBox video game" (heard that nugget of gold on the radio this morning).

I'm having the hardest time thinking whether the "establishment" will ever catch up to modern times, or get close enough to actually cause harm. Most times it seems that whenever the "establishment" (i.e. top-3 print and broadcast news outlets) finds out about a story, they're practically a generation of technology behind and the "story" is actually no longer a story, because the game/media in question is already out of date. Out of date by technology standards.

God bless the internet, as those of us who actually understand these things seem to be better equipped to inform and educate the public, therefore we actually stand a chance at changing people's perceptions of ever-increasing technology. We must use our power for good...

biggrin

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: