http://gamingtrend.com
December 19, 2014, 07:18:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Medal gear Solid 3  (Read 2346 times)
ElijahPrice
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 18, 2004, 05:14:50 PM »

Anyone else psyched to hear this release in November?
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2004, 06:05:42 PM »

Heck yeah, although I knew for a long time it was coming on November 17th.  I played the demo on OPM and I like it, although not as much as I liked MGS or MGS2, but I will give it its due chance.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2004, 06:20:35 PM »

Quote from: "ElijahPrice"

Not at all.

Between Halo 2, Metroid Prime 2, Half Life 2, WoW, EQ2, and a few more games I can't think of, my November is full for what looks to be a sub-par Medal Gear game.

Wait... Medal Gear? Whoops. smile

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2004, 06:25:33 PM »

Yes, there is a bunch of stuff coming out that week (just look at my news item for Half-Life 2 going gold and you'll see my list at the bottom of things coming that week).

Doesn't matter, I think Metal Gear Solid 3 would be well worth it.  As much as I like WoW, I don't think I'll pay monthly charges in order to play it.  And who really knows whether WoW and EQ2 are actually coming out on the 15th or not *shrug*

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2004, 06:37:12 PM »

I'm a huge MGS fanboy so I can't wait.  Unfortunately, HL2 releases the day before and HL2 is the only game I'm anticipating more than MGS3 so it will be a few days before I can get to it.  

Even worse I'll be out of town most of the week both of those release so I'll be a few days behind to start with.

[EDITED TO ADD] On the plus side I will get more gaming time in during November because, following Halo 2's release, I'll be avoiding most message boards for fear of inadvertent spoilers for Halo 2, Half Life 2, and MGS 3.  I have no desire to read impressions about any of  those I'll be buying them regardless.
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2004, 06:45:39 PM »

ME! I love the MGS games and will be picking this one up for sure.
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2004, 09:12:13 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"

Not at all.

Between Halo 2, Metroid Prime 2, Half Life 2, WoW, EQ2, and a few more games I can't think of, my November is full for what looks to be a sub-par Medal Gear game.

Wait... Medal Gear? Whoops. smile

DOH!  I should really not dictate my posts to the monkey anymore...

I am so curious about WoW...but the darn Blizzard Downloader isn't working for me...grr.  I would love to see some of the Videos..  And it looks like you do have your hands full with EQ2 and WoW alone...MMOs to the dome.
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2004, 09:13:53 PM »

Why is this a sub-par MGS?  Is that from playing the demo?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2004, 10:01:36 PM »

Curious about that comment myself.  I played the demo and I'm very intrigued and impressed.  Definitely a lot of new kinks to the gameplay that should make this one suitably different that the previous two while still retaining the same MGS feel.  

That said, based on my playthrough of the demo, its still Metal Gear at its core so anyone who didn't care for the first two probably need not try this one either.  In fact, I'd prefer that so we don't have to bombarded with tons of "do I ever get to play the game/the codec conversations are going on forever/etc" posts.  These aspects aren't going to change and anyone who was bothered by this in the previous titles should save their money.  I do seem to recall having read that the cutscene/gameplay ratio is closer to MGS 1 than MGS 2.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2004, 10:03:31 PM »

I'm not saying its sub-par (if this is directed at me), I just really am holding onto the hope that there is some present day stuff in this finale to the trilogy than being stuck in the 1960s the whole game...or at least how this time ties into the current time.

I think it's going to be an excellent game, I'm just not as excited about a 1960s game as a present day one like the other two were, but that's just me.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2004, 10:06:14 PM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"

I'm not saying its sub-par (if this is directed at me), I just really am holding onto the hope that there is some present day stuff in this finale to the trilogy than being stuck in the 1960s the whole game...or at least how this time ties into the current time.

At a minimum it looks to provide some answers- I think I saw a screenshot of a cutscene that referenced the La-Li-Lou-La-Lou or whatever the fuck that name was that refers to the Patriots.
O.DOGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2004, 02:33:12 AM »

I can't wait to play the full game. Ever since I finished MGS2 I've wanted to play it and the demo only barely satisfied my hunger (for snake). I'm definitely getting it. But first... San Andreas next week!

My smile still stays on.
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2004, 04:03:06 PM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"

I think it's going to be an excellent game, I'm just not as excited about a 1960s game as a present day one like the other two were, but that's just me.

Hah...I felt kinda the same way after watchign the trailer yesterday.  It was defintley cool looking, and had a story, but the Cold War?  Come on...make it a little more modern, that would be sweet.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2004, 04:31:05 PM »

Because after MGS2 (which I for the most part enjoyed until the absolute stinker of a last hour or so), I don't have much hope for the sequel.

That and the general gameplay is just...overdone, in my opinion.

And there's too damn many other games coming out that are guarenteed AAA titles during that month. Maybe come next year I'll pick it up.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2004, 05:38:48 PM »

I'm in at some point.  But, there are too many other damn good games coming out, when will I have the time or money to play?  Guess this will go in the Christmas wish queue.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2004, 01:30:29 PM »

Quote from: "pr0ner"
I'm in at some point.  But, there are too many other damn good games coming out, when will I have the time or money to play?  Guess this will go in the Christmas wish queue.

That seems to be the resounding vibe here... "Too many other games" ...why did they release the game then do you think?  PS2 exclusivity and nothing in the horizons except GTA:SA 2-weekers?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2004, 01:58:49 PM »

Quote from: "pr0ner"

That seems to be the resounding vibe here... "Too many other games" ...why did they release the game then do you think?  PS2 exclusivity and nothing in the horizons except GTA:SA 2-weekers?

Yup- while for those of us with multiple consoles and a gaming PC the market is pretty darn crowded, for those with only a PS2 (a pretty substantial share I imagine) the market isn't nearly as competitive.  Releasing mid-November still gets in stores in time for Thanksgiving and the next PS2 major release doesn't hit until December (Gran Turismo 4).  

In 2001 during the same time period that will see GTA:SA, MGS3, and GT4 we saw GTAIII, MGS2, and FFX and the launch of Gamecube and Xbox (with Halo).  

While the market saturation is going to really going to shove around some less known but great titles (like Beyond Good & Evil was last year) I don't think any of the majors has anything to worry about- all will do well.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2004, 07:44:41 PM »

Am I the only one who has never ever been able to get into a single Metal Gear game?
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2004, 07:58:55 PM »

I'll be playing Halo 2 and Half-Life 2 all the way through the winter.

I don't see myself needing much else except the multiplayer options from those two games.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2004, 08:13:25 PM »

Quote from: "Rage"
Am I the only one who has never ever been able to get into a single Metal Gear game?

Nah, I think that's pretty common.  The heavy emphasis on long cinemas and melodramatic story certainly isn't for everyone.  In fact, I'm surprised the series is as popular as it is.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2004, 06:38:03 AM »

Just thought I'd post these few tidbits from former CGW (and now OPM) reviewer Thierry Nguyen on MGS3:

To address some posts and questions people have:
1) I reviewed it.
2) The review is in the January issue, to be fair with EGM and honor their review exclusivity for their Holiday issue.
3) The demo was a tiny, unfinished fraction of a much better product.
4) You'll have to wait for the review before I explain my "Solid Snake is in MGS3" statement, =P You'll also have to wait for the review for anything else about the game, as I'm officially shutting up about it until the issue is in mail transit.

At a minimum, sounds like he liked it.

EDIT- Just noticed this- he definitely likes it:

Dear MGS3 and Paper Mario 2
How do you remain so awesome? Please let me know.  

First impression of the final game I've seen.  

BTW, these were taken from his blog on 1Up.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: