http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 09:08:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MechAssault2 Game impressions (WARNING - Spoilers)  (Read 1371 times)
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: January 03, 2005, 09:35:41 AM »

Man, I hate this game.
But I love it. Grr.

The multiplayer is a blast, but the single player is like a talented singer missing every key by one note. You just wanna yell "Dammit, try harder, it's almost perfect!!"

The sad thing is, it's not. The character interactions in this game are about as wooden as Dolph Lundgrens acting; no wait... worse. It's like Brute Force. The people are beautifully rendered to look exactly like people, and then the similarities end there. You remember the old puppet-animated Pinoccio show? You know, the one where he's jumping around saying he's got no strings... ah, good times. MA2 hopes to grow up and perform as well as that annoying effeminate puppet. :/

Onto gameplay : Well done, with 2 VERY frustrating levels.
[spoilahs coming!!]
There's one where you have to defend a communication tower from mechs and all you have is one VTOL and a stationary turret. I stepped down the difficulty to easy on this level, based on blood pressure. I was inventing new words to describe the act of shoving a fully decorated christmas tree up a designers rectum. Most of them contained a few 4letter words, and I won't repeat them. Oww Hole-y Night was probably the cleanest.  I digress.

Yeah, so you're supposed to first take out a bridge with the missiles on the turret (think redeemer rocket with less oomph). 2-3 does it, but then you have to kill 3-4 mechs that rush your position (Lackmans or something like that) and a couple tanks.  Since the missiles can be unwieldly to land the hit, you end up with at least one mech blowing up near you. Or your VTOL. Or the tower. Or the turret. It was worse than the Library in Halo.

Then there's the boss fight (in an armored suit).
Step 1 - crack his armored skull with normal plasma blasts to the face while picking up powerups that the VTOL drops. Dodge a slow seeking bolt and avoid raining shots and the obligatory stomp attack that makes you fall.

Step 2 - Now try to jack him to defeat force field over exposed brainpan.
Once jacked, try to launch a mortar shell (not 1, but 3) into his brain. While jumping. And avoiding unavoidable eye laser beams. And firebreath. And doublestomp. (he's tall enough that you almost exceed your jets to fly over him).And he chases you. And you can't get the goddamned mortar shot in. But you think you did. Over, and over and over... oh, and then he hits you with a stomp and laserbeams your ass before you get up and you die.

Step 3 - Finish pulling hair, and then head back to Step 1, my adventurous fellow. We'll be seeing you at step 3 in a minute or five.

I'd have more luck trying to breed a monkey with a chicken to produce natural "Chicken Fingers".

So I beat the bastard. Apparently the secret to getting a steady enough shot off is to boost as high as possible and then get hit with the laser beams which seem to hold you in one place. I had 3 direct hits for that jerk to fall. Oh, and them lasers don't tickle either. Make sure you've got some health nearby first.

I am never playing the single player campaign again. Ever.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2005, 09:14:51 PM »

Sounds like I have some frustrations on my way. And I was already getting a little put off by the level where you have to steal mechs. Geez.

Regardless, Purge I got your invite last night, but was in the middle of said singleplayer level and was not about to quit it before a save point. Another point a bit later when I'd finished it I tried to join your game, as the menu gave me the option, but it told me it had already started. By that time it was pretty late, and I just couldn't handle any more Mechassault at that given point in time.

If you're up for playing some multiplayer tonight, I'm all for it. I'd love to get some time into the multiplayer, as that's essentially what I bought the game for.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2005, 09:24:31 PM »

Hmm if you guys are jumpin on tonight i might see ya there ive been dyin to hook this up on live but havent - just single player so far hows conquest???  

Im havin a bit more fun with single player than you guys i think - hehehe i think of the cutscenes as that ghosts cartoon movie.  and i liked the mech stealin level!  you shoulda shot out the doors that keep spawnin tanks - makes it much less frustratin (though im still gettin a kick outta watchin things blow up so thats pretty fun).  havent gotten to your levels yet purge but sounds kinda tough...

Look for Doopri tonight on live ill prob finally take this online.  got myself all stoked to play guess im gonna get in some more single player for now!
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2005, 04:45:56 AM »

Send me a friend invite if you want to play Doopri. I've been on live at least 3 or 4 times a week for long hours for about the past month.

I don't know how long I'll manage to hold up that level of dedication to my gaming, but hopefully it'll last a little while longer.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2005, 04:58:58 AM »

yeah, and send an invite to purge. biggrin

Multiplayer is the reason to own, not rent, this game.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2005, 10:24:48 PM »

1) The turrent/bridge level is actually easy when you find the "trick".
(SPOILERS)
Take out the bridge with the missles
Try to take out the 1st mech under the bridge with missles. Shoot before he actually appears.
If it takes too long and he passes where the bridge was, exit the turrent and run to the VTOL.
At the VTOL upgrade your missles quickly, then stay right over the loading bay.
Switch your pickups to health.
STAY over the loading bay and keep firing missles at the enemies while also clicking the pickup button rapidly for instant heals.

2) I gave up on the final mission. The difficulty is WAY out of proportion with the rest of the game. I ended up downloading someone elses save game to see the final movies.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2005, 11:04:21 PM »

Sounds like you had the same experience I did Justin.  That end boss had me swearing in several languages.  The ending was just horrible and cliche'.  Bleh.  

That said, maybe we can get some online time sometime soon!

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Mikagami
Gaming Trend Reader

Click Clack Click Clack

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2005, 01:18:25 AM »

Quote from: "Punisher"

2) I gave up on the final mission. The difficulty is WAY out of proportion with the rest of the game. I ended up downloading someone elses save game to see the final movies.

i WAS doing that, the problem was I hadn't played multiplayer at all so I was unfamiliar with the launchpad or the upgrades... and they don't TELL YOU about it or anything. retard I was using the basic VTOL, and didn't know I could heal the turret.

As to the last boss, He's crazystupidhard for NO reason. Why couldn't I call that B*tch to drop a nuke on his head instead? I mean, REALLY.

KD, as to multiplay, I'm up for that tonight. biggrin

[edit : Doh!! I'm on Mike's PC, hence the Mikagami, not Purge]

Gonna eat your face
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2005, 06:04:05 PM »

Quote from: "Mikagami"

i WAS doing that, the problem was I hadn't played multiplayer at all so I was unfamiliar with the launchpad or the upgrades... and they don't TELL YOU about it or anything. retard I was using the basic VTOL, and didn't know I could heal the turret.

No, no, don't heal the turret, heal the VTOL. Hover over the launch pad and defend from there. When the mechs attack, stay there and keep firing at them. alternate fire between all mechs so they keep their attention on you. While this is going on, keep hitting the button to grab health. You will constantly heal the VTOL and never die.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2005, 07:13:22 PM »

No, no, don't heal the turret, heal the VTOL. Hover over the launch pad and defend from there. When the mechs attack, stay there and keep firing at them. alternate fire between all mechs so they keep their attention on you. While this is going on, keep hitting the button to grab health. You will constantly heal the VTOL and never die.

I understand that; I was explaining that I didn't even know how to pick up stuff or that you could actually heal structures before... I play MP a lot, and I'm generally relegated to the VTOL (as I'm really good at it).

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2005, 02:18:10 AM »

Rented it tonight and outside of the explosions, I was bored out of my mind and found the graphics to be not the least bit improved from the original.  

Disappointed that I spent $7.50 renting it, but one good thing about it was that the Forza demo was included.  So, I got to play that and see that I am not the least bit interested in it like I thought I would be.  So, that save me the cost of renting or buying Forza.

Still looking for a mech game I like.  Maybe Gungrave.  Haven't seen it anywhere to rent yet though.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: