http://gamingtrend.com
July 28, 2014, 07:08:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mech type game for Xbox?  (Read 1273 times)
St_Dysan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: November 28, 2004, 11:33:27 PM »

Broke down and bought an Xbox..so into the world of consoles...I was a big fan of the Mechwarrior games on PC..and was just wondering what was available for the box...
Thin_J
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2004, 11:41:08 PM »

Well, there's always Mechassault, which also has a sequel coming out at the end of December.

Before you get too excited, Mechassault is like a Mechwarrior game but without any of it's simulation style elements.

It's more of a third-person shooter/action game with giant robots. Actually, that's exactly what it is.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2004, 01:41:12 AM »

Steel Batallion is the game for you, my friend. Just don't buy the Line of Contact expansion pack.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2004, 12:25:10 PM »

Save your lunch money for a few (40) weeks and get Steel Battalion, it's like a mini home version holy grail for mech sim lovers.  If you have any woodworking skills, it will make you want to build a whole cockpit to house the controller. :)
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2004, 01:03:05 PM »

Yeah, Steel Battalion is tailor made for mech fanatics.  It actually pulls off the mech sim thing better than Mechwarrior does.  It's to the point where if you try manuvers that are too extreme (turning too sharply at high speed, accelerating too quickly from a standstill), you can actually cause your mech to tip and fall.

Also, the price of the thing just dropped from $200 to $150.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2004, 02:12:01 PM »

Quote from: "Andrew Mallon"
Steel Batallion is the game for you, my friend. Just don't buy the Line of Contact expansion pack.

Apparently the online lag problems have been patched. It's not the pain it used to be. <shrug> This info was from a buddy of mine who has it. It was fixed 3 weeks after release.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
St_Dysan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2004, 10:42:00 PM »

OOhHH...great!!I just wanted a Mech game...Now I'm forced to go out and spend 150 bucks..then build a cockpit for my new 'game' and use an entire room in my house to house it....I'm In!!!thanks for all the input...off to ebay to see if I can fiind it a little cheaper
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2004, 01:30:49 AM »

Battle Engine Aquila is a very action-paced sort of mech game, but more close to the mark is Phantom Crash, which is surprisingly good with lots of mech customization and such.  I played a friend's copy for a while and the only big problem I had with it is that it's all greyish color scheme can make things a little hard to discern.  Check out an IGN review, and consider the fact that you can pick it up for about 10 bucks (if you can find it)!

Sandwiches do fix everything.
AJ McClain
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2004, 03:09:29 AM »

Quote from: "EngineNo9"
Battle Engine Aquila is a very action-paced sort of mech game, but more close to the mark is Phantom Crash, which is surprisingly good with lots of mech customization and such.  I played a friend's copy for a while and the only big problem I had with it is that it's all greyish color scheme can make things a little hard to discern.  Check out an IGN review, and consider the fact that you can pick it up for about 10 bucks (if you can find it)!

Yes, Phantom Crash is a good game for 10 bucks or so. It suffers from only one major problem, imo. What it does, it does well. But the game is kinda limited. There are only three different mech styles, three different arenas (each can be played both at day and at night), and once you get deep into the game youll discover there aren't a lot of different weapons or weapon types. At times, PC feels more like a really good demo than a full game.

Phantom Crash had the potential to be so much more than it was. It's almost frustating when I think about it. The gameplay is pretty good and the graphics are quite nice. Plus, It has a quirky Japanese anime-style art direction and mech design that I love. Add Live play, more arenas, two or three more mech types/mech manufacturers, and it would have been an awesome mech title for the Xbox. As is, it's only an above-average to good game that doesn't have a lot of replay value.  

Still, it's a good buy considering how cheap it is.

Gamertag: Sin Mordai
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2004, 06:04:05 AM »

Quote from: "Purge"
Quote from: "Andrew Mallon"

Apparently the online lag problems have been patched. It's not the pain it used to be. <shrug> This info was from a buddy of mine who has it. It was fixed 3 weeks after release.

No.  It was never fixed for the vast majority of users.  It was designed around the Japanese broadband infrastructure.  Patches just weren't going to solve the problem.  They did resolve the "cloning" problem by the end of the summer.  It was too bad they had some great ideas in the online version.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: