http://gamingtrend.com
August 27, 2014, 09:10:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mech Commander for free  (Read 1676 times)
motodd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: August 27, 2006, 03:32:26 PM »

http://mechcommander.org/
Saw this over at Evil Avatar. Apparently it is legit since Microsoft released the source code earlier this year.
Also mentioned is that Microsoft is done with the Mechwarrior/Battletech IP :icon_sad:
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2006, 06:00:36 PM »

WHOA!  That is very cool (and not so much at the same time)!  Thanks for the link.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2006, 06:10:44 PM »

Quote from: motodd on August 27, 2006, 03:32:26 PM

Also mentioned is that Microsoft is done with the Mechwarrior/Battletech IP :icon_sad:

So they bought FASA Studios and after releasing two action-Mech titles and a strategy sequel they are abandoning that IP?  Not to mention that the forthcoming Shadowrun game FPS looks pretty mediocre (although it may play well) and doesn't seem to have any RPG elements.  There's some quetionable decisions going on over there. 
« Last Edit: August 27, 2006, 06:13:22 PM by EngineNo9 » Logged

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2006, 06:42:58 PM »

Ive downloaded them but not tried them yet. I hope the first one has the intro video. Ive always heard it was great.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2006, 10:13:41 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on August 27, 2006, 06:10:44 PM

So they bought FASA Studios and after releasing two action-Mech titles and a strategy sequel they are abandoning that IP?  Not to mention that the forthcoming Shadowrun game FPS looks pretty mediocre (although it may play well) and doesn't seem to have any RPG elements.  There's some quetionable decisions going on over there. 

Wait, so fthey are abandoning the license after one extremely successful action game and one moderately successful one? Not to mention all the PC classics and successful Mech sims? Thats just awful. It really breaks my heart that we might never see another Mechwarrior game. I honestly thought that it was one of the best long running series of PC gaming.

Just as a response to this topic- I think this is an incredible thing they are doing-both of these games are simply superb IMO, and even though I own the discs, just them releasing it like this is making me really want to play it again. Maybe its time to load it up this weekend!
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2006, 10:36:31 PM »

Ive only played the demos and that was when they first came out. I think Im in for some fun gaming.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2006, 10:49:54 PM »

Saw this over at Evil Avatar. Apparently it is legit since Microsoft released the source code earlier this year.

See this is one of the reasons I think Microsoft should just go fuck themselves.  I had a friend at FASA studios before Micro$oft bought them out. After the buyout, Microsoft killed all PC game work at FASA, and forced them to work exclusively on Xbox shit.  Mechwarrior 5 was about 50% complete by that point, and was shelved.

The reason MS bought FASA was for the talent to work on Xbox shit, not for the IP, they never gave a shit about any FASA IP.  I will never forgive what Microsoft did to Mechwarrior, my favorite PC francise.

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2006, 05:56:37 AM »

Huh?  The source code was just for the engine.  The missions, art assets and videos were missing.  I'm not saying it couldn't be legitimate.  After all, Microsoft gave away Allegiance, but I don't think the assumption follows that all source code releases are freeware.

I hope they are legitimately giving it away.  I had fun with both games back in the day.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
motodd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2006, 06:07:28 AM »

It looks like you can get the assets for MechCommander 2 here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=6d790cde-c3e5-46be-b3a5-729581269a9c&DisplayLang=en

Don't know about the first one yet. If it turns out this is not on the up & up I will delete the thread. Just wanted to share some legal free game love.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2006, 06:53:12 AM »

Quote from: motodd on August 28, 2006, 06:07:28 AM

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=6d790cde-c3e5-46be-b3a5-729581269a9c&DisplayLang=en

Don't know about the first one yet. If it turns out this is not on the up & up I will delete the thread. Just wanted to share some legal free game love.

Especially for a game as good as this series. smile  (Or at least I enjoyed em!)

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2006, 01:24:44 PM »

Both games were, excellent, underrated, overlooked gems KD. I am definately going to install them both this week and give em another whirl!
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2006, 01:44:34 PM »

What's weird is the download for Mechcommander 2 on the first link was ~480MB, while the 'official assets' to the game is ~780MB. Uncompressed files, or is it not the full download?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2006, 02:40:10 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on August 28, 2006, 01:44:34 PM

What's weird is the download for Mechcommander 2 on the first link was ~480MB, while the 'official assets' to the game is ~780MB. Uncompressed files, or is it not the full download?

They are ISO's (cd-rom images) so you have to a program like the virtual cd program listed with them to access them.  When you do that, it installs the game just like it would from the CD, so I'd say everything is compressed.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2006, 03:01:04 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2006, 02:53:45 PM »

absolutely loved Mechcommander 2 when it came out.  never finished it and don't feel like digging through the boxes in my closet to find the original discs (which are probably scratched from having 4 years worth of junk thrown on top of them), so i'm definitely downloading this tonight.  great game.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2006, 07:50:54 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 28, 2006, 02:40:10 PM

They are ISO's (cd-rom images) so you have to a program like the virtual cd program listed with them to access them.  When you do that, it installs the game just like it would from the CD, so I'd say everything is compressed.

Oh yeah. Duh. That solves it.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2006, 10:42:55 PM »

Well, according to the license, it looks like you can do anything with the game short of selling a product that uses the art assets or suing Microsoft over patents.  Of course, I'm not a lawyer.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Clay

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2006, 10:22:53 PM »

I just downloaded and installed this...  it says that I need a fixed .exe.  Since this is legit, can somebody point me to a place where I can get one?  Thanks!

xbox live: nude rick james
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: