http://gamingtrend.com
November 29, 2014, 03:50:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Max Payne 3  (Read 6580 times)
Harkonis
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 11, 2012, 08:58:00 AM »

I don't recall anything that felt off regarding game mechanics during the campaign other than the odd way the scopes work.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 11, 2012, 05:55:03 PM »

It's not that I'm having consistent issues, it's just occasionally there will be a segment of a level where the mechanics spaz out on me. For example, I'll get shot and that automatic bullet time effect will initiate, but Max is in the middle of spinning around so my crosshair will be aimed at the opposite direction of the enemies while my point of view is on the enemies, and I'll be stuck in the bullet time effect for a long time with nothing to shoot at. I basically just take my hands off the mouse and keyboard and wait for it to pass, it's taken almost 20 seconds a few times.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 11, 2012, 06:43:11 PM »

I don't recall bullet time engaging automatically except in scripted situations.  Also you can cancel bullet time by hitting the button that starts it if you find you're not facing the right way.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: June 11, 2012, 07:44:05 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on June 11, 2012, 06:43:11 PM

I don't recall bullet time engaging automatically except in scripted situations.  Also you can cancel bullet time by hitting the button that starts it if you find you're not facing the right way.

He's talking about what happens if you get killed while still having painkillers left. If that happens, one of them is consumed and you get a few seconds to kill your attacker. If you manage to do so, you'll survive. If you don't, you die. The problem happens when the game's physics makes it impossible for you to actually aim in the direction of your attacker, either because of momentum or because of some scenery object that blocks your arms. It can also occur if you're out of ammo. If that happens, you have to wait until the game decides you're really dead before you can do anything. I've certainly experienced that a few times, and it feels a bit glitchy.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 11, 2012, 07:58:22 PM »

oh yeah that, well if that happens and you die before you can spin back around then you fucked up and shouldn't have been in that situation.  I didn't have a problem with it.  It's basically giving you a last second chance to stay alive but if you are either out of ammo in the gun (can't reload during that sequence) or looking the wrong way, then you're done.

It's not a glitch or anything, it's just how it is.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: June 11, 2012, 08:20:44 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on June 11, 2012, 07:58:22 PM

oh yeah that, well if that happens and you die before you can spin back around then you fucked up and shouldn't have been in that situation.  I didn't have a problem with it.  It's basically giving you a last second chance to stay alive but if you are either out of ammo in the gun (can't reload during that sequence) or looking the wrong way, then you're done.

It's not a glitch or anything, it's just how it is.

It's a glitch because you are given the slo-mo treatment when it serves no purpose.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 11, 2012, 08:25:53 PM »

It gives the slow mo treatment if you are out of ammo too, I don't consider that a glitch.  It's a slow motion death.  It can be frustrating not being able to do something about it, but you screwed up and got caught unprepared or unaware.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 12, 2012, 06:15:03 AM »

It's not a glitch, per se, but just a poorly executed gameplay feature. There were way too many times where this "last man standing" effect worked incorrectly. I just finished the game, and while I did like it quite a bit, the mechanics were a huge downer. I also didn't like that they did away with the noir aspect of the first two games entirely.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 13, 2012, 11:50:07 PM »

Rockstar is introducing the Cheater's Pool.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 01, 2012, 08:36:08 AM »

well, grabbed this from Gamersgate for 10 bucks and I'm enjoying it only slightly more than my first attempt.  I never thought I'd say this about a Max Payne game, but this one needs to be about half as long as it seems it is going to be.  I don't remember ever getting this bored with the first two games (granted with their lengths I'd be done by now); it all seems like:

a) walk into an area
b) watch cutscene of area being filled with bad guys
c) after cutscene ends, switch back to the weapon you actually had equipped but the cutscene decided that you needed to not have that weapon ready.
d) kill bad guys, maybe have the game lie to you that you killed the last one with the slow motion 'final death' cinematic only to realize there is in fact more guys still up and about.  also realize that Brazillians have also invented the bulletproof tank top/ball cap and/or personal shields.  this step may also include the slow motion death glitch where you waste time watching the camera spin but have no shot.
e) watch Max's life get shit on.
f) go back to step a.

on the plus side the graphics on the PC are very nice, and some of the non-cookie cutter action sequences are cool.

Because I can,
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 07, 2012, 04:19:45 PM »

Been playing this - I like it, but it doesn't feel like Max Payne. I mean, there's bullet time and there's Max Payne music and dialog, but other than that it's not Max Payne.

First of all, you have to use the new cover system or you die. The first two games were about diving through doorways and strafing around like a madman. In this game, Max moves with a lot more weight and the enemies are a lot more deadly, so you have to be much more deliberate with your attacks.

Second, there is daylight in this game. There isn't supposed to be daylight in Max Payne. The atmosphere is all wrong.

Like I said, I like the game, but it would have been better without the Max Payne name.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 06, 2013, 07:14:37 AM »

decided to give this one last shot for the new year....  gave up and just watched the rest of the cutscenes on Youtube.  can't say I felt like I missed out on much; hopefully if they do a new one they'll go back to his NYPD years with the Punchinello's and DeMarco's.

oh well, add one to the finished column for 2013.

Because I can,
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: January 06, 2013, 08:19:08 AM »

Wait, you can't call it a finished game if you just gave up and watched cutscenes on YouTube...  saywhat

Sandwiches do fix everything.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 06, 2013, 08:37:35 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on January 06, 2013, 08:19:08 AM

Wait, you can't call it a finished game if you just gave up and watched cutscenes on YouTube...  saywhat

sure I can.  I just did, and what the heck, I'll do it again:

finished game.

finished game.

finished game.

biggrin

Because I can,
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: