http://gamingtrend.com
October 31, 2014, 05:54:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Max Payne 3?  (Read 5129 times)
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2012, 05:05:06 PM »

trailer 2

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2012, 12:09:59 AM »

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-11617-Max-Payne-3--After-the-Fall--Comic-Book-Issue-1-Available-to-Download-Now.html

what the link says,PDF in that link

I have given up on PDFs myself,no idea how to use them and not got a fucking clue how to use foxit either
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 12:20:27 AM by metallicorphan » Logged

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2012, 04:41:33 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on May 05, 2012, 12:09:59 AM

I have given up on PDFs myself,no idea how to use them and not got a fucking clue how to use foxit either

You know you're getting old when...  slywink

Sandwiches do fix everything.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2012, 06:25:49 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on May 05, 2012, 04:41:33 AM

when i try to install Adobe reader instead and for some reason MyStart Incredibar installs and it takes me an hour to get rid of the damn thing

as for the Max Payne comic,there was a selection to read it online,so i just did that  icon_lol

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2012, 06:55:40 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on May 05, 2012, 06:25:49 AM

when i try to install Adobe reader instead and for some reason MyStart Incredibar installs and it takes me an hour to get rid of the damn thing

as for the Max Payne comic,there was a selection to read it online,so i just did that  icon_lol

dad?  no seriously, this is a viral infection.... fix your damn computer.  PDF's aren't the problem.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2012, 07:10:59 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on May 05, 2012, 06:55:40 AM

Quote from: metallicorphan on May 05, 2012, 06:25:49 AM

You know you're getting old when...  slywink

as for the Max Payne comic,there was a selection to read it online,so i just did that  icon_lol

dad?  no seriously, this is a viral infection.... fix your damn computer.  PDF's aren't the problem.

I didn't say PDF's were the problem

when i downloaded Adobe Reader it asked me if i wanted to install Incredibar and make MyStart my home page i clicked no(well unclicked them),but i wanted to go to bed so i decided to install Adobe PDF after i woke up so turned my PC off,when i turned it back on this morning the incredibar had installed and Mystart was my home page..i went to programs and deleted it,but it was still on there,i had to dig in the addons to get uninstall it from there

PC is fine again now

JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2012, 02:58:57 PM »

There's another PC game coming out on the 15th that might sell a few copies. Probably best to hold it back a couple of weeks.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2012, 04:29:04 PM »

Reviews are starting to trickle in

Xbox360a.org-93

A true cinematic gaming masterpiece, Max Payne 3 is not just another triumph for Rockstar, but it's also testament to what the developer can do when it turns its hand to linear storytelling. Max Payne 3 might be a stylistic shift for the series, but it's also a raw and brutal portrait of a man pushed to the edge that deserves a place alongside Rockstar's superlative open-world efforts. Get ready to enter a world of Payne.

Gamestm-8/10

Ultimately, none of the story beats or polish mask the fact that Max Payne 3 is very much a refinement of an old formula, and if youíre looking for something brand new or revelatory it just isnít here. However, what is amazing is how Rockstar has fallen back on its trademark production values and sublime attention to detail to update the franchise in a compelling way. Factor in some impressive multiplayer offerings and itís still head-and-shoulders above most of its trigger-happy ilk. Which perhaps says as much about the state of the genre as it does Rockstarís obvious skill.

IGN-9/10

There are plenty of games which are celebrated for their gameplay but lack anything in way of story or character. Max Payne 3 is a different type of proposition. The gameplay is simple yet satisfying, but itís entirely in the service of a strongly-authored narrative. Players arenít at the liberty to roam, to explore, or to shake things up. Some might find this too controlling, but in return for your freedom, youíre rewarded with a mature genre piece which is also a finely-realised character study. Action games continue to inch the dial towards 11, sometimes at the expense of their narrative integrity. Max Payne 3, however, has the conviction to reign in the action, imbue it with purpose - the spectacle still sparkles but it also makes sense.

CVG-8.0

In the end, it's the polish and production values that will keep you playing. It only does one thing, but it at least does it extremely well, and the action is backed by a spectacular, ethereal score from noise-rock band HEALTH. Fans will miss the oddball, fourth wall-shattering humour, but there are enough references to keep us sweet - the classic theme tune, James McCaffrey's gravelly narration, the ugly tie - and Max Payne 3 remains, in most respects, a quality shooter. Just prepare for the long haul - and don't expect any great depth or variety along the way.

GameTrailers-7.6

The famed Max Payne is still capable of getting the job done, but he has a bit of a hard time fitting into the framework heís been given here. Attempting a character study of a deeply flawed action hero is an interesting gamble that just doesnít pay off, and the single-player experience continually struggles with leveraging the characterís identity or unique skills. So itís got some issues. That said, the surprisingly entertaining multiplayer modes and a virtuoso treatment of extreme violence stand out as legitimate highpoints. It all basically comes down to your tolerance for pain.

Edge-7

Ironically for a game with such clear cinematic ambition and so serious a tone, it takes a pair of high-pressure score-chasing modes to rejuvenate the campaign. The first, Score Attack, rewards headshots and stylish, slow-mo kills, while New York Minute turns each level into time trial, rewarding kills with extra seconds on the clock as you attempt to carve an optimal murdering line through its courses. Both of these modes require perfectionism rather than true experimentation, but once youíve unlocked them thereís no point returning to the vanilla story mode.

Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2012, 03:26:03 AM »

That Gametrailers review pointed out a few things that certainly has me hisitant - including that its mainly a cover based shooter now. I can also see how the cut sequences with the random words and color blur is pointlessly annoying.
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2012, 03:48:17 AM »

If I was Max, and was currently out of bullet time...I would take cover.

Edit: Giant Bomb's  quick look is up for Max Payne. Much better than the gametrailers review. They play for about 30 min and it pretty much shows everything you need to know.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 04:02:48 AM by USMC Kato » Logged

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2012, 12:50:06 PM »

Multiplayer is very fun.  Has a lot of the same feel RDR did.  Sometimes feels a bit clunky on aiming but I'm getting used to it.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2012, 03:54:18 PM »

After 16 reviews now its averaging 86%  - the Gametrailer and Edge reviews have been the exception as every other reviewer has given it 80% or higher. I'm curious to hear from anyone playing the SP campaign how it compares with the 1st 2 games. I loved the comic book approach to telling the story in those games and I'm wondering if that's back and if so, is it done as well?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 03:57:53 PM by kronovan » Logged
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2012, 04:13:49 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on May 15, 2012, 03:54:18 PM

I'm curious to hear from anyone playing the SP campaign how it compares with the 1st 2 games. I loved the comic book approach to telling the story in those games and I'm wondering if that's back and if so, is it done as well?

I'm interested in this as well. I would only be getting the game for the SP campaign and I'd like to know if it's worth it.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2012, 04:30:18 PM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on May 15, 2012, 04:13:49 PM

Quote from: kronovan on May 15, 2012, 03:54:18 PM

I'm curious to hear from anyone playing the SP campaign how it compares with the 1st 2 games. I loved the comic book approach to telling the story in those games and I'm wondering if that's back and if so, is it done as well?

I'm interested in this as well. I would only be getting the game for the SP campaign and I'd like to know if it's worth it.

Well, I'll post later today. After the gamespot and ign review I'm sold. Looks awesome. I'm grabbing it on the way home from work and will play later tonight I'm sure of it.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2012, 07:17:08 PM »

Single player is a lot of fun if you don't mind cutscenes.  It's very much just a story you happen to be in being told.  I am not overstating it when I say it's about 75% cutscenes so far.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 15, 2012, 07:57:41 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on May 15, 2012, 07:17:08 PM

Single player is a lot of fun if you don't mind cutscenes.  It's very much just a story you happen to be in being told.  I am not overstating it when I say it's about 75% cutscenes so far.

Funny, I was about to post that two missions in, I'm finding it to be amazing.  The original games were very story-heavy, too, but this one is infinitely less cheesy (the originals were good-cheese, but still cheese).

Rockstar is getting better and better at making compelling characters in a good story, and this one feels elevated beyond what they've done so far.

Gameplay is classic Payne, refined.  Slo-mo is just what you'd expect.  There are pain pills to remove damage.  Targeting is good, with multiple options to fit your style.

There are also clues to find while playing.  Many of them just seem to be collectibles, so far, but be on the lookout for golden gun pieces.  I missed a couple early on, as I was more focused on hurry to my objective and didn't know to look for them.

The story is fairly linear so far, though at one point Max was talking about a back exit (he narrates frequently while playing, which blurs the searation between gameplay and cutscene), but I guess I went a different way because he said something about deciding to take the stairs.

No dream sequences so far.

I was also pleased that the bald Max we've seen inpics and on the cover has only made a small appearance so far (in what I'm guessing was a flash forward), so we're getting slightly older classic Payne.  At least at the beginning.

Basically, if you loved Max Payne for the cool story-telling elements, it seems like this one takes that up a notch.  It's a class act all the way, so far, and I can't wait to keep playing.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2012, 08:09:43 PM »

totally missed the news that the 360 version is 2 discs, but then again I figured I was getting the game for the PC so I didn't follow the news for the console version.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 15, 2012, 09:43:25 PM »

OK, I'm finding the cut scene effects really irritating.  kinda reminds me of what they did with Kane & Lynch 2 but there you could turn off the effects.  it probably wouldn't be so bad if there weren't so many of them.

Because I can,
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2012, 02:10:10 AM »

I am about to check this out. Once the wife goes to sleep..
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2012, 02:12:14 AM »

Quote from: Harpua3 on May 16, 2012, 02:10:10 AM

Be sure to keep the volume down. I speak from experience  Roll Eyes

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2012, 03:11:49 AM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on May 16, 2012, 02:12:14 AM

Quote from: Harpua3 on May 16, 2012, 02:10:10 AM

Be sure to keep the volume down. I speak from experience  Roll Eyes

It can't be worse than the other night when me and a friend in Florida were using the vita
Party chat and playing golf.. And drinking..

That being said, and I'm sure I will ruin this by saying it.. I used to be all quiet when she was sleeping then i noticed she said I woke her up on nights I was being quiet, not the loud nights..So, why be quiet? icon_lol

Edit: I'm downloading diablo 3. After buying this game already today... Now I have to be quiet..
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 04:11:02 AM by Harpua3 » Logged
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: May 16, 2012, 04:20:15 AM »

I am kicking myself I didn't just bite the bullet and get this too today.  at least then I would have something to do.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 16, 2012, 04:46:11 AM »

final impressions:

honestly, for me it's missing the magic of the original games.   it's the change of scenery mostly, and I really miss the graphic novel cutscenes, but I pulled the plug at the moment where:

Spoiler for minor helicopter section spoiler:
you have to shoot RPG rockets out of the air.

once it has some serious price drops I'll grab the PC version, but I already sold my copy on eBay for enough to break even.  I figured might as well do that now instead of holding on to it and regretting it more down the road.  don't get me wrong, there is probably a good game here, but I probably would have liked it more if they had made it a new IP and left Max in New York.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 04:51:30 AM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2012, 05:10:34 AM »

So you stopped 3 missions in?

I'm still loving it.  Totally hooked.

My only gripe with the cutscenes is they sometimes overuse the text bit.

To me, they've totally captured the Max Payne spirit and updated it.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2012, 05:28:48 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on May 16, 2012, 05:10:34 AM

at that point I was more annoyed with the presentation and wasn't having fun because of it, so I cut my losses.  well, actually I didn't have any losses, which makes me happy.

Because I can,
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 16, 2012, 07:11:56 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on May 16, 2012, 05:10:34 AM

I'm still loving it.  Totally hooked.

My only gripe with the cutscenes is they sometimes overuse the text bit.

To me, they've totally captured the Max Payne spirit and updated it.

I definatly agree. This game rocks. There is alot of holding your hand thru the game, but it's awesome.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 18, 2012, 12:29:46 AM »

Probably be picking this up tomorrow now that i have finished The Witcher 2

Are you guys still enjoying it?

USMC Kato

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 18, 2012, 12:47:18 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on May 18, 2012, 12:29:46 AM

Yes! Very well done. If you want a classic max Payne experience lower the difficulty. I'm playing at a hard difficulty and you pretty much have to be super aggressive with bullet time to survive.

Semper Fidelis

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 18, 2012, 05:32:13 AM »

Absolutely.

Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 18, 2012, 04:38:34 PM »

I'm enjoying a shit ton, besides I noticed one horrible bug... Diablo 3 gets more playtime!
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 19, 2012, 07:32:01 AM »

-One Sitting
-12 hours
-Medium setting complete

I can honestly say i never want to play through that game again,hard as fucking nails Tongue

Kato you have my respect playing that on Hard difficulty

good story and graphics though...Max was a bit of a dumb ass at times,which made me do  Roll Eyes way too often

USMC Kato

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 19, 2012, 05:50:44 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on May 19, 2012, 07:32:01 AM

-One Sitting
-12 hours
-Medium setting complete

I can honestly say i never want to play through that game again,hard as fucking nails Tongue

Kato you have my respect playing that on Hard difficulty

good story and graphics though...Max was a bit of a dumb ass at times,which made me do  Roll Eyes way too often

Yeah, I think Max is a suicidal (but is either way too good at killing, or is just as lucky).  Hark and I are playing on hard difficulty with aim assist off just so we can compete better in the multiplayer modes.   

Semper Fidelis

Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 21, 2012, 05:16:45 PM »

Played some more last. Since my buddy couldn't play diablo 3 I figured I'd better get some max Payne 3 lovin on! Still enjoying it much, as stated above though, even on normal it's pretty damn hard!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 13, 2012, 11:51:16 PM »

wow, this one died off quickly  icon_wink

anyways, posted this in PCVille:

Rockstar is introducing the Cheater's Pool.

Because I can,
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 14, 2012, 01:50:12 AM »

The mp is this is really suprisingly good and keeps getting better the more that I play it.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 14, 2012, 01:51:47 AM »

Quote from: Harpua3 on June 14, 2012, 01:50:12 AM

The mp is this is really suprisingly good and keeps getting better the more that I play it.

agreed, I'd love to see it keep a community going
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 14, 2012, 03:29:53 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on June 14, 2012, 01:51:47 AM

Quote from: Harpua3 on June 14, 2012, 01:50:12 AM

agreed, I'd love to see it keep a community going

I loved the game, but the mp didn't really grab me.  I played for a couple of hours, but just never clicked with it.  The one where you trade off playing Max and the other guy was okay, I guess.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 15, 2012, 10:41:02 AM »

seems Max Payne 3 didn't do too well,in sales at least its been branded a "flop",this is Patcher talking,although the link does say he receives a more detailed NPD report than the press get

360a.org

ďWithout divulging too much NPD goodness, I can tell you that Max Payne 3 sales were less than 50% of LA Noireís. 8 years in development!Ē

he also says
Max Payne 3 a flop, according to NPD; canít believe Rockstar put off releasing GTA to work on that game.Ē

but if MP3 was 8 years in development,I would of thought it was a logical idea to pull people off GTA to get MP3 out of the door after so long(IMO)

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 15, 2012, 10:44:17 AM »

Well, I'm not surprised. They changed the concept behind the IP, turned it into something that we've seen quite a lot of times before and without a single unique selling point then expected it to sell well?

A new one
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 15, 2012, 02:46:13 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on June 15, 2012, 10:44:17 AM

Well, I'm not surprised. They changed the concept behind the IP, turned it into something that we've seen quite a lot of times before and without a single unique selling point then expected it to sell well?

They didn't really change the concept; I'm not sure where you're getting that.  The only reason we've seen things like it before is that many have imitated the property since then, which made it a challenge to bring it to a modern audience, and I think they pulled it off spectacularly.  In practice, it's quite different from most other titles out there.  It certainly has a lot more personality and story than generic shooters.

It's too bad it didn't sell well.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: