http://gamingtrend.com
July 26, 2014, 01:36:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Matrix: Path of Neo impressions-page one, post one, no less  (Read 1972 times)
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« on: November 10, 2005, 05:40:05 PM »

Did a search and didn't find another topic on this, so here's my cross-post from OO:

I played for much longer than I expected to last night. About 3 hours. That should tell you there's something enjoyable about it.

But there are some bad things. First of all, the graphics are terrible. Just really bad. Especially the character models. The color even seems dithered. And I'm playing the Xbox version, which you'd think would be a little better. I had a hard time getting past them (but eventually, I did).

Also, the cut scenes between missions are a little odd. Each one comes off not as a cohesive story section, propelling you to the next level, but more of a mini-trailer. If you haven't seen the movies, this will be VERY confusing, I think. Not a huge problem though, as it works to some degree if you have seen the films. It just seems like a really odd choice.

An even bigger against is that the first mission is awful. It doesn't represent gameplay for the rest of the game at all, but there's no way to know that. It's a level (or a few levels strung together, really) of pre-pill Neo (despite the fact that you take the pill before you start the game). You spend it running and hiding and occaisionally girly-shoving security guards out of the way (not a great animation). The controls are wonky at best and Neo floats around, taking away any real sense of movement.

Honestly, I'll be suprised if most people make it past this level before giving up on the game.

Now, I kept playing for some unknown reason. Next up are a LOT of training missions. So many that I started to wonder if the whole game was going to be holodeck-style training simulations (it's not). This also isn't a problem because the levels are all pretty cool. I especially enjoyed the black and white feudal Japan level.

I can tell you exactly where the game turned around for me. At the end of the first series of training levels, there's essentially a cage match (there's no cage, just a platform with, yes, lava around it - but it's a video game cliche on purpose). Once I started full on fighting, the game took off. It truly is a hell of a lot of fun to fight in this game. Fortunately, that's what makes up most of the rest of the game. The controls are simple enough to allow for button-mashing, but there are enough possibilities to allow for some very cool and interesting combos. However, when you start throwing focus into the mix, things can get very, very cool. Like Matrix-cool. Somehow, they worked in a startling amount of moves that feel like something you'd see in the movies. They are very satisfying, to say the least.

There are all kinds of moves to unlock, too. At first, they get chosen for you, but eventually, you have to pick which ones to upgrade between levels.

There are some issues, though, so it ain't perfect. The method they use to grab someone doesn't come off as very intuitive as Neo doesn't seem to grab the enemy, but you're still expected to throw them somewhere with the control stick. This gets even more confusing with multiple enemies. Switching to weapons and locking on to enemies is done with the right stick, but the camera sometimes makes this impossible (and the switch is done with a right stick click, which doesn't seem to be the most intuitive method). There's no way to crouch that I saw, the game seems to choose when you do it. You click the black button to hide behind a wall or a ledge or something, but you don't come out of that with the black button, you have to physically move away from the spot, which isn't as graceful as it should be.

Still, I did play for three hours last night, just past the bullet-dodge scene (a power used strategically, by the way. At this point, it's the only way to take out agents. You dodge, distracting the agent, while your teammate shoots him and takes him out), and just before the subway fight with Smith. If you're a huge fan of the Matrix, go get it. If you like brawlers, give it a shot, too. Just force yourself to get through the first hour or so (may be less and it just felt like an hour), and you may like it a lot.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2005, 07:08:23 PM »

FYI, the game has one of the most absurd endings in the history of videogames.  The Warshowski brothers (who are in the ending, BTW) give a nice big middle finger to Matrix fans smile

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2005, 07:13:33 PM »

Quote from: "Dimmona"
FYI, the game has one of the most absurd endings in the history of videogames.  The Warshowski brothers (who are in the ending, BTW) give a nice big middle finger to Matrix fans smile

I, too, have heard about this ending.  It's so insane, I gotta see a video of it to make sure it's true.

TheMissingLink on PSN
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2005, 07:19:02 PM »

After the abomination of the first Matrix game, I'm never, ever playing another. Good to know you're enjoying yourself though, and hopefully it will be fun-filled. smile

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2005, 07:19:45 PM »

Oh please put that in the spoiler tags so I can marvel at the absurdity. biggrin

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2005, 07:45:45 PM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"

Oh please put that in the spoiler tags so I can marvel at the absurdity. biggrin

+1

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2005, 08:17:33 PM »

Quote from: "CrayolaSmoker"
Quote from: "whiteboyskim"

+1

+1 here too.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2005, 10:25:37 PM »

I too have read about the ending.  It's absolutely insane.  Retarded.  Laughable.  And just . . . weird.

I do not know the spoiler tag code and I'm currently at the library doing some "research", so I'll let someone else post it up   biggrin

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2005, 10:29:44 PM »

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

Here is the ending -

http://media.putfile.com/ending-part-1

http://media.putfile.com/ending-part-2

http://media.putfile.com/ending-part-3

I'm tempted to buy it just for the ending along smile
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2005, 10:48:36 PM »

Quote from: "Laner"
SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

Here is the ending -

http://media.putfile.com/ending-part-1

http://media.putfile.com/ending-part-2

http://media.putfile.com/ending-part-3

I'm tempted to buy it just for the ending along smile

Argh.  Putfile never works for me.  Off to Google I go.

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2005, 10:56:18 PM »

Wow.

TheMissingLink on PSN
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2005, 11:00:16 PM »

Found a description:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Right after Smith does his "THIS IS MY WORLD, MR. ANDERSON" thing, the next-to-last level ends and then there's a cutscene where little pixelated things (that look suspiciously like Terrence and Philip) voiced by the Wachowskis explain how the movie ending wasn't appropriate for the game. That's right. There's actually a scene THAT PULLS YOU OUT OF THE GAME'S STORY to explain why they had to create the abomination that was to come.

Then the digital Wachowskis go on to actually spoil the boss fight ahead, saying that they thought it would be a good idea to have all the Smiths combine to create a gigantic Mecha-Smith. At this point, I was thinking that they HAD to be joking. They weren't. The following cutscene showed a bunch of mini-Smiths using cars and stuff to create a giant robot shaped like, you guessed it, Agent Smith. The robot proceeds to take a pair of sunglasses off of--I swear to God I'm not making this up--a billboard, and then the fight starts. This wouldn't be so bad if the fight was, you know, fun, but it's basically just a buch of timing junk and no kung-fu involved at all, which would've been at least somewhat entertaining.

However, the fun isn't over yet. After the level ends, we get a cutscene of that kid who loves to kiss Neo's ass declare to Zion that "ZOMG THE WAR IS OVER!" to the tune of, get this, "We Are the Champions". Yes, that "We Are the Champions". By Queen. Then the Operator and some chick hug, and the world is squeaky-clean with skyscrapers and parks and junk.

What.
The.
Fuck.

Wow...  that's just seriously... WOW.  If the fans didn't feel pwned by the sequels, I'm pretty sure this'll get 'em.

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2005, 11:11:35 PM »

What... the... fuck...

Spoiler for Hiden:
So not only are the Wachowski Brother(s) saying I'm too stupid as a consumer to accept a meta-physical ending to a game, but that I would much rather prefer a boss fight that weds the best character from The Matrix with the second Voltron? All while chiding me in a rip-off of both Black & White and South Park? WHO THE FUCK ARE THEY KIDDING?!?!?!

Hey Wachowski Brother(s) - you know that big hefty nine-disc Matrix box set I was eyeing for Christmas? Go fuck yourselves.

But that's just how I feel about it. smile

Kev199
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2005, 01:11:36 AM »

Well, I wouldn't say the original ending was too impressive.  Might as well throw in a transformer. smile
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2005, 02:39:23 AM »

Oh my God, I wish I could record how hard I'm laughing. That. Is. Brutal.

And that's actually the real ending? With Queen and everything? No-fucking-way! Ugh - terrible.

Whatever. Wasn't going to buy the game anyway. This almost makes me want to break the copies that are still on store shelves, or bring them together and burn them as one big flaming pile of ass.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2005, 03:36:25 AM »

That has to be the weirdest (and pretty insulting) ending ever.  A blank screen at the end would have been better, I think.
Spoiler for Hiden:
It sounded like the Wachowski bros. were speaking to the gamer like a five year old. "You kick ass." and "time for some Hulk vs. Galactus action!"  At the end when they laugh it almost seems like they're mocking the person.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2005, 03:59:37 AM »

Quote from: "Nth Power"
Hulk vs. Galactus[/spoiler]

Man, I sure hope that fight never took place in comics.  That's really scraping the bottom of the idea barrel right there.  I would almost enjoy reading the setup to such an unlikely battle.  If the fight lasted more than one panel I would feel obligated to buy the writer a drink.

I didn't think that someone could actually destroy the fanboy love the Matrix enjoyed.  It's quite a feat to have so utterly ruined something that had such a following.  Comendable even.  Maybe we should just be thankful that the whole Matrix thing is over and done with.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2005, 04:45:21 AM »

But ... there was only one Matrix movie. I swear. I swear. I don't know what the rest of you all are talking about.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2005, 05:03:41 AM »

You're right, Dafones - there was only ONE Matrix movie - and there were NO Matrix games, lol.  I watched someone play the first Matrix game - all those fancy moves with stiff characters - I felt like I was watching a Gumby episode.  My suffering ended exactly there!

What an incredible insult the most recent ending must have been to anyone who actually lasted to see it - I'm insulted enough!  :roll:

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2005, 01:01:42 PM »

Not to derail the thread but, Dafones, why is Larry David dressed like Captain Picard?

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2005, 01:42:38 PM »

I thought the ending was hilarious - I think they're most definitely throwing a subtle jab at the people who took The Matrix just a *little* too seriously.

I'm a big fan, but that was funny smile
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2005, 04:44:35 PM »

Quote from: "CrayolaSmoker"
Not to derail the thread but, Dafones, why is Larry David dressed like Captain Picard?

Ha ha, he does look like he's dressed in a Star Trek uniform! Didn't even notice. It's just the way the picture's cropped. The red is a bench, and the picture is from the DVD cover of the fourth season, I believe.

As for the actual thread topic, the IGN PS2 review actually makes me want to rent the game. I can't believe it. It sounds kind of fun, if not a chore from time to time.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2005, 09:43:25 PM »

Is that REALLY the ending or is this a hoax/joke?
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2005, 10:53:13 PM »

Quote from: "Bob"
Is that REALLY the ending or is this a hoax/joke?

Check out the manual:

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2005, 03:06:54 AM »

Okay.. now that I managed to watch the videos.  That is hilarious.  I approve.
Kev199
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2005, 03:26:06 AM »

When you play the game, the story starts to hint at an ending like this.  Wait until you fight the 4-foot insects who dissappear/reappear.  Fun stuff...
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2005, 06:48:43 AM »

That's right. There's actually a scene THAT PULLS YOU OUT OF THE GAME'S STORY

The game's "story" is a series of music video clips from the movies.  I certainly wasn't immersed.

I hate to say it, but the set-up/ending didn't really bother me.  Were you expecting to mutter meaningless existential blather into your LIVE headset (or PS2 or PC equivalent)?  It was going for cheese anyway, so why not throw in Queen?

That said, the gameplay on that level really did suck.  Just a lame, easy pattern repeated for eons.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: