http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 11:57:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Match and Magic Kickstarter (calling all PQ fans)  (Read 672 times)
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« on: April 15, 2012, 11:21:22 PM »

Some of you may recall 15 months ago when Bill Harris first mentioned a mystery indie title in his favorite games of 2010, calling it, "an absolutely terrific game, combining Puzzle Quest-type gameplay with rogue elements."

That game was revealed last summer to be Match & Magic by Jeff Laflam, which is now up on Kickstarter. The game is mostly complete, but Jeff is raising some money to pay for some remaining art work and other polish. I haven't played it yet, but I have hopes that it will be the worthy spiritual successor to the original Puzzle Quest that has yet to materialize.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 02:45:33 PM by Misguided » Logged

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 11:31:27 PM »

I'm in.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 07:05:08 PM »

Looks pretty cool so I kickstarted.  Really hope he makes it!

I have to say the first portion of the video was really kind of bland, he just didn't sell it well at all.  But then the second half he totally comes alive, there's some nice humor, and I was much more compelled to contribute.  I definitely recommend if you are watching to make sure you make it through to the second half.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 09:49:36 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on April 16, 2012, 07:05:08 PM

Looks pretty cool so I kickstarted.  Really hope he makes it!

I have to say the first portion of the video was really kind of bland, he just didn't sell it well at all.  But then the second half he totally comes alive, there's some nice humor, and I was much more compelled to contribute.  I definitely recommend if you are watching to make sure you make it through to the second half.

Yeah, I agree. For one thing, he looks rather nervous (blinking like mad). Jeff has been participating in a thread on Qt3 and I suggested that he could really use more of a gameplay demonstration, which he said he would work on. Since the game is largely done, I think that could really help the cause.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 06:43:21 AM »

I'm a bit worried about this Kickstarter project. The game looks awesome and I contributed to it a few days ago. If it continues at this rate however, it won't reach its goal. We should help spread the word.

Luckily that should become easier now. They just released a demo that we're free to distribute. I'm at work right now so I won't be able to check it out myself for a while, but hopefully this should help give the project a little boost.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 02:19:23 AM »

Dying to check it out, but I'm out of town for a few days.

The Rocketman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 10:12:45 AM »

Hmm, I read this subject and thought "yes! I am a Police Quest fan, where do I sign?"

Was I the only one thinking that?
I loved Police Quest. And all it's boring real-life-procedures-magnificence.

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 12:40:11 PM »

Hmmm... I could have sworn that I posted the same thing when this popped up. My first thought: PQ = Police Quest. D'oh.

I did end up backing this but now the 'demo' isn't really doing all that much for me...   icon_neutral

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 01:03:15 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on April 20, 2012, 12:40:11 PM

Hmmm... I could have sworn that I posted the same thing when this popped up. My first thought: PQ = Police Quest. D'oh.

I did end up backing this but now the 'demo' isn't really doing all that much for me...   icon_neutral

You did, in portable gaming. I made threads in both spots. Too many forums. I'm not going to be able to try the demo until Monday. Care to elaborate on it?

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 01:22:14 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on April 20, 2012, 01:03:15 PM

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on April 20, 2012, 12:40:11 PM

I did end up backing this but now the 'demo' isn't really doing all that much for me...   icon_neutral

You did, in portable gaming. I made threads in both spots. Too many forums. I'm not going to be able to try the demo until Monday. Care to elaborate on it?

The demo doesn't make any attempts to show how the grand scope of the game will work, and the developer hasn't really shed much light on it either. Instead you're tossed into a neverending puzzle with constantly shifting goals and tools. This makes it hard to fully appreciate what is being done here. It's like playing a demo of Puzzle Quest where all you have is one battle and nothing else, with no hint of the campaign mode.

The game mechanics aren't explained in the game itself, so you need to figure it out on your own. With the current GUI, not everything is obvious, and there were some cards I couldn't figure out how to get working (such as one crafting card that was asking me to add Fire gems to it, but which never reacted when I did so).

What the game lacks is the campaign mode and polish. If you go into the demo without being aware of this, it might be a bit rough. Most people have no idea about the difference polish can make on a game.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2012, 01:34:12 PM »

He hasn't done a great job of explaining this, but as it stands the main mode of the game is a survival mode, not a campaign. As you gain levels, monsters get tougher, and the goal is to survive, like playing Bejeweled more than like Puzzle Quest.

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2012, 01:34:46 PM »

Nothing is explained so you end up just starting to do normal "match three" moves and things happen. This after clicking on 'Play' and having absolutely nothing happen for almost 30 seconds, no hourglass / loading bar or anything, I thought it hadn't installed correctly. Cards show up from matches but not really sure why. Swords get me Armor? Scrolls mean? I seem to have a defense and attack rating but not really sure how it all applies yet. Some of the icons are runes for the elements and monsters have an elemental weakness. No clue how they were attacking me. Now, this after a very quick five minutes of play as I got killed in very few whacks so obviously need to spend more time with this. A readme would help.

There's an "Info" button but it doesn't give any information or help but rather restarts the game. "Menu" brings up a menu that doesn't have an obvious way out of to return to the game, turns out you have to click "Menu" again. Nice that you can change the direction matches fall. No tooltips on the buttons or perhaps they're not implemented yet or not part of the demo. Some interface elements seem to be... missing. I'm curious how early this "early build" is. Assuming it will get the polish it needs once this gets funded. [crosses fingers]

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2012, 02:15:32 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on April 20, 2012, 01:34:46 PM

I'm curious how early this "early build" is.

It feels like a late alpha build.

Btw, monsters seem to deal their damage (which is a random value in a certain range, say 4-8) for every move you make. This means you should always try to take out monsters as quickly as possible, or at least defend yourself with a shield or a freeze card. There seems to be a lot of depth to the game, but at the moment things aren't well enough explained for us to truly appreciate it. Watch the video he made where he plays the game a little. It'll help you understand the way the game is meant to be played, and it certainly helped me.
Vidiot

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2012, 11:27:02 PM »

Crazy small world.  I just got an email from a few buddies of mine at work about this.  The creator happened to be on their team for the company flag football competition.   saywhat
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2012, 09:08:39 AM »

A crazy thing just happened. This game looked like it wouldn't meet its funding goal. It was at about $5200 and needed $15,000. Then about 2 hours ago someone went and grabbed the $5000 reward level. Not only that, but they seem to have added another $5000 (or nearly so) on top of that, singlehandedly bringing the game a mere $6 above its funding level 68 hours before deadline. Let's hope the benevolent backer doesn't get cold feet and pull out. smile
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2012, 03:10:27 PM »

That's great news! I had a game going last week that I'd been working at off and on...I was midway through level 15 I think. Then I had to reboot the computer and lost it.

I've got a list of thoughts going to send to Jeff. The game has potential to be a lot of fun, but I don't think it is quite there yet.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2012, 03:29:41 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on May 08, 2012, 03:10:27 PM

I've got a list of thoughts going to send to Jeff. The game has potential to be a lot of fun, but I don't think it is quite there yet.

Yeah, it lacks the polish but is otherwise good. In game developer terms, he's done with 90% of the work. Now he's only got 90% left. slywink
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: