http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 11:43:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Massive interest in PS3/Wii this holiday season  (Read 2444 times)
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2006, 12:41:12 AM »

Oh come now...the PSP isn't doing THAT poorly  icon_lol

Ruining language with my terrible words.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2006, 10:35:20 AM »

Quote from: Misguided on October 13, 2006, 12:41:12 AM

Oh come now...the PSP isn't doing THAT poorly  icon_lol

No but the DS is doing that well  :slywink:
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2006, 11:29:20 AM »

Agreed! I think it's pretty well known I'm a DS junkie. Jeez, I currently have 4 of them in the house.
My point was that I think the PSP has carved a niche for itself out of the handheld market. This is a pretty impressive feat when you consider some of the failures. If it had been a company other than Sony, they might not have pulled it off.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2006, 12:51:39 PM »

The PSP doesn't have to be beating the DS for the Playstation brand to have had an impact on its sales.  Even if Coca~Cola Blāk fails miserably, the Coca~Cola branding still had an impact on the number of sales.  Even if the PSP is doing very poorly (which I am not asserting) I think it's fair to say that the Playstation name still accounts for some of the success it is having.  How much does it account for?  Well, that's the question we started with.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2006, 01:43:35 AM »

Quote from: jblank on October 12, 2006, 08:58:21 PM

Quote from: Jumangi on October 12, 2006, 08:54:49 PM

Quote from: jblank on October 12, 2006, 02:00:21 PM

The Playstation Portable is irrelevant to the discussion of whether the word "Playstation" will make a system sell well?

Why is this hard to understand?  disgust

I think using the PSP as an example if very relavent. As has been said the high price of the PSP(for a handheld) is valid. It goes to the argument that regardless of what you stuff into a system, if the price is too high it could hurt sales.

Well. that is your opinion and you are welcome to it, but in THIS case at least, amazingly, it seems the high price isn't an obstacle thus far, and if this excitement to get one, like this poll talks about, is true, then it means the Playstation brand name, is arguably as powerful as its ever been. I still say its apples and oranges because the console world is different than the handheld world.

Seems? You can make anything "seem" like you want depending on what you pick out from all the infdormation availible. The actual proof won't be known for a long time.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2006, 01:49:30 AM »

Quote from: Misguided on October 12, 2006, 10:58:33 PM

I think the PSP is relevant, but the conclusion I draw from that is different.

Is the DS beating the PSP? Yes.
But look at it this way:

What was Nintendo's percentage of handheld marketshare prior to introduction of the PSP?
What is their percentage since the introduction of the PSP?

Well the marketshare overall is going to be less no matter what since there hasn't been any competition for Nintendo in the handheld market for..well they've never had any real competition. But the PSP has had no effect on Nintendo's sales as the DS is so far the fastest selling handheld they've ever had.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2006, 02:45:39 AM »

Quote from: Jumangi on October 14, 2006, 01:49:30 AM

they've never had any real competition. But the PSP has had no effect on Nintendo's sales as the DS is so far the fastest selling handheld they've ever had.

These two statements are contradictory. You can't possibly say that DS sales wouldn't have been higher still if the PSP didn't exist (unless you believe that the PSP has grown the size of the handheld market on its own). But that was never the point of this anyway. The question that was asked was whether or not the playstation name carries any weight. The fact that there's never been any "real competition" and now there is a legit competitor (particularly if you feel the PSP is inferior) speaks well for the Playstation name. That's all...end of point. This isn't about which is better or the impact of the PSP on the DS.

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2006, 03:03:57 AM »

Quote from: Misguided on October 14, 2006, 02:45:39 AM

The fact that there's never been any "real competition" and now there is a legit competitor (particularly if you feel the PSP is inferior) speaks well for the Playstation name. That's all...end of point. This isn't about which is better or the impact of the PSP on the DS.

But the DS is better, though. AMIRITE???!!!!11111eleventyone

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2006, 03:07:58 AM »

Quote from: Misguided on October 14, 2006, 02:45:39 AM

The fact that there's never been any "real competition" and now there is a legit competitor (particularly if you feel the PSP is inferior) speaks well for the Playstation name.
I wasn't aware that anyone who's not Devil thought the PSP was a legit competitor anymore.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 14, 2006, 03:35:01 AM »

*shrug* still seems to sell pretty well where I am. Personally, I only play mine pretty rarely. My DS sees far more time. PSP still has quite a few games on the way. I don't think it's fair to call the PSP a dead system at this point.

Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 14, 2006, 03:54:14 AM »

DS has what, 10 good games and 300 bad ones?

While I am impressed with the good DS games, the plethora of bad ones really don't give me confidence in the system. I admit I am not a big handheld fan, but if I personally had to buy one, I would buy a PSP without much question.  There just isn't much on the DS that twiddles my nuts, most of it is asian cutsy shit I can't get into.

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: