http://gamingtrend.com
November 28, 2014, 02:02:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mass Effect..wheres that patch?  (Read 6129 times)
Greg Wak
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2008, 04:58:50 PM »

That's interesting Daehawk. Right near the end I had a crash to desktop. Only issue I had with the entire game. I finally beat it. After about 10 tries I bumped the difficulty down to casual. Still took me about 10 tries. I did figure out a system that probably would have worked on normal but by then, what's the point. I thought the game was a tad short but that's only because I was enjoying it so much. So now I'm gameless. I have a couple oldies I missed coming from gogamer but that's with dirt cheap shipping so it will take a few more days. The shakes are starting.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2008, 05:05:38 PM »

if you found the final fight frustrating you might want to avoid a sniper class if you ever do a replay.  I didn't have any issues myself but zooming in, shooting and then dodging might get to people not used to FPS's.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2008, 07:43:25 PM »

I finished it as a good guy a few min ago. Actually replayed the end about 3 times just to see the fleet come in and such. Ive now made me an evil redheaded girl  slywink for a evil play through. Gonna be a bitch to everyone and kill a certain group member and such smile

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Corvus Corax
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2008, 08:21:36 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on July 25, 2008, 07:43:25 PM

I finished it as a good guy a few min ago. Actually replayed the end about 3 times just to see the fleet come in and such. Ive now made me an evil redheaded girl  slywink for a evil play through. Gonna be a bitch to everyone and kill a certain group member and such smile

What class is she?  Being bad is fun.  I think Shep makes a much better badass than a goodsy-two-shoes.  I've read that the Shepfem has the best "evil" dialogue delivery in the game.  Also, you won't need to use grenades at all for your evil playthrough (wink, wink).
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2008, 11:34:56 PM »

I went with the same class..soldier. Though instead of going shock trooper im going to choose commando. Also instead of spec'n in assault rifle im going pistol / shotgun. So far pistol is working pretty good.

Corvus Corax
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2008, 12:45:26 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on July 25, 2008, 11:34:56 PM

I went with the same class..soldier. Though instead of going shock trooper im going to choose commando. Also instead of spec'n in assault rifle im going pistol / shotgun. So far pistol is working pretty good.

Pistol's good.  I think I read in the official forums that the pistol actually delivers more dps than the AR, tho' that sounds odd. 
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2008, 02:40:30 AM »

i played through with pistols and was a little surprised to find that they kick some serious ass by the end of the game...can do some serious damage with great accuracy when you're set up well.  i played around a little with the shotguns, but i didn't enjoy trying to aim at close range on enemies that tend to run around pretty quickly.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2008, 04:20:28 AM »

I was expecting my new female character to sound like Bastila from KOTOR since its Jennifer Hale doing her voice but it sounds nothing like her. Guess it was just one of her many accents.

Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2008, 12:27:07 PM »

Quote from: disarm on July 26, 2008, 02:40:30 AM

i played through with pistols and was a little surprised to find that they kick some serious ass by the end of the game...can do some serious damage with great accuracy when you're set up well.  i played around a little with the shotguns, but i didn't enjoy trying to aim at close range on enemies that tend to run around pretty quickly.

Yeah my second playthrough was with an Infiltrator, and although I brought over the assault rifle skill I had unlocked, I never ended up using it because the pistol was so good.  Especially once you use the special ability, it becomes somewhat of a submachinegun.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2008, 02:36:57 PM »

bah, screw the DLC.  after I finish my Bioshock re-play I'm going to fire up ME and play the good guy this time around.

Because I can,
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 26, 2008, 04:21:08 PM »

Ive noticed this time that Im getting way more sound hitches. Maybe because Im hitting spacebar a lot to skip a lot of dialog I know what they're going to say. But Im also getting a crash now that I did'nt get the first time through.

disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 26, 2008, 06:22:55 PM »

Quote from: Eightball on July 26, 2008, 12:27:07 PM

Quote from: disarm on July 26, 2008, 02:40:30 AM

Yeah my second playthrough was with an Infiltrator, and although I brought over the assault rifle skill I had unlocked, I never ended up using it because the pistol was so good.  Especially once you use the special ability, it becomes somewhat of a submachinegun.

exactly...that 2-round/sec rate of fire you get with the Master Marksman skill is absolutely brutal.  combine that with some pretty impressive accuracy at higher levels and you have a seriously dangerous weapon even at long range.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2008, 04:06:37 PM »

supposedly the 1.01 patch and DLC are now available.

Because I can,
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 29, 2008, 06:03:00 PM »

Yep they are both out. I haven't grabbed them yet. I need to know if the patch will screw up my saves. Im over half done on my 2nd play through and dont want to restart yet again if it messes up saves.

EDIT: Read up on it. Not sure on saves..not seen it mentioned. But I did see a lot of talk about how it messes up sound so Ive decided to skip the patch for now. I did install the addon. Ill give it a go once I get done with all myy other side missions..unless they make me rush to that one first.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 07:20:14 PM by Daehawk » Logged

Enigma
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 29, 2008, 07:35:51 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on July 29, 2008, 06:03:00 PM

EDIT: Read up on it. Not sure on saves....I did see a lot of talk about how it messes up sound ....

OMG, if the patch really messes up the sound it would be incredible...mine was already so messed up I couldn't play.  I'll get it and report back........

p.s. from what I read, I think the DLC automatically applies the patch??

Now Playing:
PS3: Demon Souls
PC:   Diablo III, Saints Row 3, Anno 1404 (Dawn of Discovery)
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2008, 07:47:48 PM »

Boy I hope not.

EDIT: oh boy..it seems it did apply the patch with the addon. In the Mako while Im firing the machine gun I see the muzzle flash and see bullets hitting but I only hear sparadic gunfire sounds....bangnag nag......bang..........bang...........bangbang....... its weird.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 10:19:28 PM by Daehawk » Logged

Enigma
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 29, 2008, 10:27:44 PM »

I downloaded the DLC and sure enough I checked my version of the game and it's now 1.01.  Just an FYI. 

Now Playing:
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2008, 12:38:52 AM »

sounds like I'll be avoiding the patch until they patch it.

Because I can,
Corvus Corax
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 30, 2008, 04:14:39 AM »

Installed and played through BDtS with no problems (ah, another achievement for what I thought was a complete collection).  AFAICT, the patch does nothing for me.  The only problem I had with v. 1.0 was the intermittent sound stutter during conversations....and I still have it with v. 1.1.

Frankly, I found BDtS a little anti-climactic.  Not really very much to it.  I don't think there was more than about 60 mins or so additional play (and I did everything).  Not complaining tho'.  After all it was "free" or "included in the purchase price" or whatever the current line is  icon_wink....and they did finally deliver it.

From the BioWare forums, v. 1.1 appears to be griefing some players who had no (or minor) problems with v. 1.0.  There are complaints that many bugs, known from day 1 of release, have not been touched, but new bugs have been introduced (i.e., missing lava textures on certain planets, massive FPS drops, etc).  Welcome to pc gaming.  icon_smile   
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 30, 2008, 06:50:38 PM »

Ya I still have the stuttering sound too.

And after all that lead up..ya the addon was'nt anything but 1 new mission no different than any others. though those fusion rockets are damn cool looking. I must say Im not happy with the ending of the mission..either one of them. I finally said hell with it and did the evil ending and moved on. i course I did the good one too just to see what happened.

Also once back to the ship no one seems to know I did the new mission. At least no radio chatter about it. If the game was really evil it would have let do what the Batarians were doing anyways smile mwahahaha.

Enigma
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 31, 2008, 12:38:09 AM »

Well, post DLC (with included 1.01 patch) I was able to play for about an hour and then whammo....freeze up.  So, I went to the forums and they updated the support page.  Looks like they are now saying the SB Audigy series (among others) is not supported using hardware sound (I guess they gave up on fixing it) and they are saying that AMD mobo owners need to install the latest Processor Driver and Dual Core Optimizer from AMD.  I installed both and am about to give it another go. 

I can only think that most other publishers would be destroyed by the gaming media at this point. 

[edit post DLC:  In game freeze is still happening, sadly.]
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 03:22:42 AM by Enigma » Logged

Now Playing:
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: July 31, 2008, 02:12:37 PM »

Quote from: Enigma on July 31, 2008, 12:38:09 AM

Looks like they are now saying the SB Audigy series (among others) is not supported using hardware sound (I guess they gave up on fixing it)

Just yank the card out and go to motherboard sound. You will be a happier person overall for doing so, and your games will crash less as well. Problems like these are why I left card based sound cards forever. My game at the time was one of the Battlefield series - same exact issues.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Enigma
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 31, 2008, 04:33:44 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on July 31, 2008, 02:12:37 PM

Quote from: Enigma on July 31, 2008, 12:38:09 AM

Looks like they are now saying the SB Audigy series (among others) is not supported using hardware sound (I guess they gave up on fixing it)

Just yank the card out and go to motherboard sound. You will be a happier person overall for doing so, and your games will crash less as well. Problems like these are why I left card based sound cards forever. My game at the time was one of the Battlefield series - same exact issues.

This is the only game I've ever had such problems with.  Considering I have gaming ADD that means literally 80+ games over the last couple of years have run no problems.  I really can't see opening up my computer to pull out a card I paid money for  just to play 1 game without crashes. 

If all that weren't enough, my mobo sound is listed along with the audigy as not supported in hardware mode anyway:

" Please note that the following sound cards are not supported by Mass Effect in hardware mode:
    * RealTek AC97
    * SigmaTel Audio
    * Realtek HD Audio output
    * Sound Blaster Audigy
    * SB Audigy"

So before anyone pulls out there, audigy, check your onboard sound.

Now Playing:
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: July 31, 2008, 04:52:07 PM »

Quote from: Enigma on July 31, 2008, 04:33:44 PM

" Please note that the following sound cards are not supported by Mass Effect in hardware mode:
    * RealTek AC97
    * SigmaTel Audio
    * Realtek HD Audio output
    * Sound Blaster Audigy
    * SB Audigy"

Uh... Correct me if I'm wrong, but the first three cards are motherboard sound cards, and are seen in like all motherboards out there. Or some absurdly large percentage at least. Somebody want to explain to me why they're so incapable of programming audio properly?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 31, 2008, 05:04:17 PM »

is there a big deal between hardware mode and software mode anymore?  I've been using mobo sound for almost 2 years and haven't noticed anything lacking if I don't use hardware mode.

Because I can,
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 31, 2008, 05:19:01 PM »

I have an Audigy 2 ZS and Im playing in hardware mode. I even double checked the mass effect engine ini to be sure. I added a couple // marks to the ini to force it too also. Ive played it in software too and cant tell a difference .

Enigma
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 31, 2008, 05:35:39 PM »

FYI, I'm using software mode.  Also, the crashes seem different than before the patch.  Also, the pre-patch trouble shooting suggested to move the hardware acceleration slider in dxdiag to none.  If I do that now I get stuuttering sound in the game.  Weird. 

Overall, post DLC/patch, it's more playable for me, crashes maybe 1x per hour.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 05:37:35 PM by Enigma » Logged

Now Playing:
Corvus Corax
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 31, 2008, 07:56:43 PM »

Quote from: Enigma on July 31, 2008, 05:35:39 PM

FYI, I'm using software mode.  Also, the crashes seem different than before the patch.  Also, the pre-patch trouble shooting suggested to move the hardware acceleration slider in dxdiag to none.  If I do that now I get stuuttering sound in the game.  Weird. 

Overall, post DLC/patch, it's more playable for me, crashes maybe 1x per hour.

I also have an Audigy 2 (running ME in software mode) and have had no crashes or lockups.
Enigma
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 31, 2008, 09:32:56 PM »

I had no idea there were so many elevators in the future.  And apparently you enter a type of time warp where time stands still while in an elevator...

Now Playing:
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 31, 2008, 10:42:14 PM »

Those elevators do become boring. At least make them instant or some such ugh.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 31, 2008, 10:46:57 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on July 31, 2008, 10:42:14 PM

Those elevators do become boring. At least make them instant or some such ugh.

make them express!

Because I can,
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 31, 2008, 11:39:22 PM »

The dumbest idea was not putting a insta travel terminal at the ship's dock. You always have to ride that damn lift down to the the travel terminal. then when its time to leave the station its take the terminal back to C0Sec and then ride that stupid lift back top dock.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 01, 2008, 01:41:25 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on July 31, 2008, 11:39:22 PM

The dumbest idea was not putting a insta travel terminal at the ship's dock. You always have to ride that damn lift down to the the travel terminal. then when its time to leave the station its take the terminal back to C0Sec and then ride that stupid lift back top dock.

yeah, a loading screen would have been faster.

Because I can,
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 02, 2008, 01:03:32 AM »

BTW theres a patch up for the patch now.. 1.01a

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 02, 2008, 03:44:14 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on August 02, 2008, 01:03:32 AM

BTW theres a patch up for the patch now.. 1.01a

no one's quite sure what it changes.  I bit the bullet and patched/installed the DLC and when about 3-4 hours before I got a CTD.

Because I can,
Enigma
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 02, 2008, 03:59:59 AM »

yeah, I installed the 1.01a also.  I was a little wary because I couldn't find it on the Bioware or EA sites, but got it from gamershell.com.  Anyway, I played for about 2 hours with no crashes which was nice...but now, my two squad members don't follow me around - not sure if that is connected or not.  Never noticed them not following me before.  They kinda get locked into a location and then when I go into an elevator or talk to an NPC, they suddenly appear next to me.

Now Playing:
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 02, 2008, 05:46:27 AM »

1.01a is indeed on the ME site, but the only way to get to it that I can find is to click on the downloadable content and then pick 'download the stand alone update'.  The patch notes look the same as the last one.

Because I can,
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: