http://gamingtrend.com
November 28, 2014, 05:15:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mass Effect..wheres that patch?  (Read 6130 times)
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 14, 2008, 06:52:51 PM »

Is the patch late or is there even going to be one. Im dying to reinstall and play this game. It seems so awesome but I had to delete it because of bad sound and a crash to desktop bug. Ive been waiting forever on a patch for it so I can enjoy it.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Enigma
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 06:56:51 PM »

Yeah, I need the patch also.  I am anxious to play the game, started it and got to the second planet but the CTDs for the sound bug were just killing it for me.  The promised DLC isn't out yet either???  Between this and Witcher I'm playing the waiting game lately.   Maybe I need to get AOC.

Now Playing:
PS3: Demon Souls
PC:   Diablo III, Saints Row 3, Anno 1404 (Dawn of Discovery)
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 07:09:18 PM »

Quote from: Enigma on July 14, 2008, 06:56:51 PM

Maybe I need to get AOC.

LOL  icon_twisted

A new one
Corvus Corax
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 08:41:10 PM »

In some ways the 40+ page thread about the DLC on BioWare's official site is more entertaining than the game.  It's the "kool-aid drinkers" vs. the "grognards."  One of funniest, IMO, is where a kool-aider replies to a complainer by writing "Don't bite the hand that feeds you."  There's also some pretty funny car-buying analogies with regard to the patch/DLC delay.

But, as for the OP, no patch/DLC yet, none in sight.  BTW, when you do get to play it, you're going to note it's rather short (maybe the DLC was originally included content that just didn't make it into the 360 version).  In fact, I'm on my thrid replay and don't expect it'll take more than 4-5 hours to complete the main storyline...if I can just get back to it.  In some ways, it's more like an interactive movie than a game.  I'm already bored with MEPC and will soon move on.  Maybe, I already have, since I haven't fired it up for 3 days now.  I doubt I'll even bother to play the DLC.  Entertaining at the beginning, but, for me, it's turned out to have a rather limited shelf-life.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 06:41:58 AM »

I decided to go ahead and try it again and use the tweak guide to see if it helps but i have a snag and Im wondering if its screwed up right from the start.

Its right at the end of the install. Right when it finishes all the files Im supposed to hit next and finish the install...but its right there it stops responding and I have to shut the installer down. The game seems installed completely but it fails to make me a desktop shortcut. I can make that fine with the config util...but has it messed up anything else? I dont want to get into the game only to find its borked because of this.

Enigma
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 01:14:48 PM »

hmm.  The bug/s I have are freezes sort of like you describe, but mine installed ok.  Do you have a creative sound card?  That is the culprit with me I think.  Anyway, you might want to try to go into dxdiag and turn your sound acceleration off and then reinstall it.  Just a shot in the dark.

Really, I can't believe that a huge retail game like this has not been fixed with a patch yet.

Now Playing:
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 07:45:11 PM »

Ya its a black mark on Bioware for sure.

Yes I have a Creative Audigy 2 ZS.

Enigma
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 08:16:00 PM »

I have the same card....along with about 70% of all people who use non-motherboard sound cards.  You'd think that would be caught in testing.

Now Playing:
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2008, 03:10:10 AM »

Quote from: Enigma on July 18, 2008, 08:16:00 PM

I have the same card....along with about 70% of all people who use non-motherboard sound cards.  You'd think that would be caught in testing.

Yet another reason as to why I recommend everybody use motherboard sound nowadays. Your processor can more than handle the 'load' of processing sound and such. And you get 5.1 support and such too.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2008, 07:26:22 PM »

Hmmm 2 days in and so far pretty good. I have not had a single drop to desktop this time around. I have had 4 sound stutters and 3 battles stutters but no drops. I also haven't shut it down once. I just keep it running and alt tab when i want to do other things like this.

Im stuck at the mining colony right now. Damn mecha Geth smile

Enigma
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2008, 04:08:06 AM »

How did you get past the install crash?

Congrats on getting it stable to play for a while.

Now Playing:
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2008, 03:43:57 PM »

I just left it. It seems to have crashed right at the end and the only thing it lacked doing was putting a shortcut icon on my desktop. I hope thats all it missed at least.

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2008, 05:30:27 PM »

Where the heck do I get grenades? I haven't had any since my first mission. Even my store clerk on board my own ship doesn't seem to have any.

Edit; Also how do I get some money. Ive done a handful of missions now and armor costs like 40,000 to buy.  I think I have like 2500 creds lol.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 05:34:01 PM by Daehawk » Logged

disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2008, 05:58:10 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on July 20, 2008, 05:30:27 PM

Where the heck do I get grenades? I haven't had any since my first mission. Even my store clerk on board my own ship doesn't seem to have any.

Edit; Also how do I get some money. Ive done a handful of missions now and armor costs like 40,000 to buy.  I think I have like 2500 creds lol.

early in the game, you can only carry three or four grenades...as you level up, you'll gain the ability to carry larger numbers.  as for where to buy more, you don't have to worry about that.  when you use grenades, they essentially 'regenerate' automatically...throw the ones you have, wait a little bit, and your inventory will refill itself.  it's a little bit of an odd gameplay decision, but it is nice to just throw grenades and not have to worry about going to a merchant to restock all the time.

as for money...don't worry about it right now.  you should be able to find armor that's more than good enough to get your by early in the game, and you'll have more money than you can actually spend by later in the game.  those high prices just give you something to look forward to buying later.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2008, 08:11:35 PM »

Im probably playing wrong but I just give myself and my team the best of all the weps I find then mod them all. I dont worry with making them use one type or another or what armor they wear.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2008, 10:54:38 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on July 20, 2008, 08:11:35 PM

Im probably playing wrong but I just give myself and my team the best of all the weps I find then mod them all. I dont worry with making them use one type or another or what armor they wear.

just make sure they have skill points invested for whatever weapon you give them and you should be fine.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2008, 02:53:38 AM »

dO THEY USE THE WEAPON THEY HAVE THE BEST SKILL POINTS IN ?

Oops sorry for caps

disarm

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2008, 03:50:25 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on July 21, 2008, 02:53:38 AM

dO THEY USE THE WEAPON THEY HAVE THE BEST SKILL POINTS IN ?

Oops sorry for caps

not automatically...you give them the appropriate weapons and then tell them which one to use at any given moment.  if they're using something without skill points to back it up, they're doing so at a serious disadvantage.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2008, 03:02:50 PM »

I'm pretty far into the game. Not sure what level but I stopped getting 2 skill points per level and only get one. Anyway, outside of giving my team strong weapons that I find I don't manage them at all. So far I have done fine on normal setting. My character is pretty strong and can take care of just about everything as long as my sidekicks occupy the bad guys attention from time to time. Still my game of the year. Some people have complained the side missions are "samey" but I am enjoying them all.
Corvus Corax
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2008, 08:29:51 PM »

Quote from: disarm on July 20, 2008, 05:58:10 PM

early in the game, you can only carry three or four grenades...as you level up, you'll gain the ability to carry larger numbers.  as for where to buy more, you don't have to worry about that.  when you use grenades, they essentially 'regenerate' automatically...throw the ones you have, wait a little bit, and your inventory will refill itself.  it's a little bit of an odd gameplay decision, but it is nice to just throw grenades and not have to worry about going to a merchant to restock all the time.

as for money...don't worry about it right now.  you should be able to find armor that's more than good enough to get your by early in the game, and you'll have more money than you can actually spend by later in the game.  those high prices just give you something to look forward to buying later.

I don't think grenades regenerate automatically.  Rather, you get grenades sometimes as part of loot when you kill something or open a container.  It seems to be random.

I got back to the game, finished my insanity play-through as an L60 soldier-commando (took about 3 hours for the whole main storyline; pounded the space-bar constantly and didn't do any side-missions, as there was no need to...xp and money useless at L60).  AFAICT, the only difference between "insanity" and "normal" is the amount of HP enemies have.  The AI's no smarter and the scripting's no different; it just takes a longer to kill things.

I've now started a new pure adept char just to see how playing as a "mage" goes (currently at L25).

IMHO, MEPC is a good game, but certainly not a great game.  Too scripted and linnear and the AI is dumber than a post (if it even exists).  Strong points for me:  character creation and development, combat, and, especially, the achievements.  I'm a complete sucker for winning medals and awards, bonus powers in games.  The only reason I'm still playing is to pick up the remaining achievements.  MEPC is a good time-killer while waiting for FO3.

At this point, I doubt if I'll bother with ME 2 and 3 (if they even get ported).  I feel burned over the "included" DLC.  You know:  "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me."  Also, I expect the two follow-ons will just be more of the same gameplay-wise.   
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 08:31:43 PM by Corvus Corax » Logged
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2008, 09:39:45 PM »

Does it have a screenshot ability built in or do i have to use the old clipboard / paint trick? Want to post a pic of my characters.

Oh and I hate the human heavy armor. Its red and white and makes me think Im a medic all the time. Also I cant seem to make Wrex or Garrius wear any better armors...not even the ones made for their race. They just stay greyed out.

Corvus Corax
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2008, 10:54:39 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on July 21, 2008, 09:39:45 PM

Does it have a screenshot ability built in or do i have to use the old clipboard / paint trick? Want to post a pic of my characters.

Oh and I hate the human heavy armor. Its red and white and makes me think Im a medic all the time. Also I cant seem to make Wrex or Garrius wear any better armors...not even the ones made for their race. They just stay greyed out.

Don't know 'bout screenshots....as for armor:  The red and white armor (Phoenix?) is low-end, sexier stuff will be available later.  You need to put more points into Wrex's and Garrius's armor skill if you want them to wear better armor.  See ME wiki for more specific info:

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Light_Armor
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 10:57:12 PM by Corvus Corax » Logged
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2008, 11:19:45 PM »

Ahhh ok. I was letting my npcs autolvl. Maybe next time through Ill turn that off..or maybe now.

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2008, 01:58:17 AM »

I LOVE ME!! Yep I love it. Im playing a good guy and doing all quests I can find this first play through. Next time I plan to play an evil character and only do the main plot. Im worried though that by doing only the main plot that I wont have enough money or exp to fight the bad guys with my puny weapons and such.

disarm

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2008, 02:32:42 AM »

Quote from: Corvus Corax on July 21, 2008, 08:29:51 PM

I don't think grenades regenerate automatically.  Rather, you get grenades sometimes as part of loot when you kill something or open a container.  It seems to be random.

you're right...been a long time since i played, so i went back and looked it up.  you only get them as loot, but i never really seemed to have a shortage of grenades when i was playing.  they just seemed to be replaced so often that i was never empty for long, making it feel like it was automatic.  maybe i was just lucky to pick them up so often...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Corvus Corax
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2008, 08:47:10 PM »

Quote from: disarm on July 23, 2008, 02:32:42 AM

Quote from: Corvus Corax on July 21, 2008, 08:29:51 PM

you're right...been a long time since i played, so i went back and looked it up.  you only get them as loot, but i never really seemed to have a shortage of grenades when i was playing.  they just seemed to be replaced so often that i was never empty for long, making it feel like it was automatic.  maybe i was just lucky to pick them up so often...

You know, I never use grenades (except at one point...if I'm a paragon-type).  IMO, they're just unnecessary fluff.  Your other weapons/powers will kill anything in the game at any difficulty level.  That's why I see ME as kind of an interactive movie.  I don't think you can really gimp your char to the point where you can't progress and having "immortal" (unless scripted otherwise) npc teammates doesn't hurt either.

In fact, what are these weapons you're using?  I can understand "shotgun," "autorifle," "sniper-rifle," and "pistol".....but what exactly are they shooting?  You acquire ammo types (which go against your item limit), but you have unlimited ammo for each type.  These are clearly not chemical-propellant weapons of the sort we currently use.  Are these energy weapons which use the ammo-type as some kind of matrix to set the type of damage delivered?

While ME is fun, IMO, it's a vastly simplified form of rpg....sort of a casual-gamer rpg married to an adventure game.  I believe S.T.A.L.K.E.R., which is primarily a shooter, has more realistic rpg elements than ME.  IMO, ME pales when compared to sci-fi rpg's such as FO/FO2 (and, finger-crossed, FO3), SS/SS2, etc.  OTOH, ME has a great story, writing, and voice acting.  Unfortunately, the story doesn't have much replayability, as it's the same every time....no matter what "choices" you make.  Hence, the spacebar becomes the most used key during my current playthrough.  icon_smile
Corvus Corax
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2008, 09:12:23 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on July 23, 2008, 01:58:17 AM

I LOVE ME!! Yep I love it. Im playing a good guy and doing all quests I can find this first play through. Next time I plan to play an evil character and only do the main plot. Im worried though that by doing only the main plot that I wont have enough money or exp to fight the bad guys with my puny weapons and such.

If you use the same char, you should be OK because you'll be swimming in money and omni-gel by the end of the first playthrough.  I'd suggest bumping up the difficulty level for each playthrough so you can get the corresponding achievements for "Hardcore" and "Insanity" (skip "Veteran," since you get nothing for it).  Enemies don't scale (except for hitpoints) so you're going to be pretty ueber in subsequent playthroughs, since you keep all equipment, money, and skills from previous playthroughs (think Diablo 2 playthroughs).

A real challenge would be playing a brand-new char on "insanity."  Going to have to give that a try.  icon_smile

One thing about setting difficulty:  You can't do it before you start the playthrough, or it will default to normal.  You've got to start the playthrough and, after the initial cutscene when you finally get control of your char, then set the difficulty in-game.  If you want the achievement, don't change it again during the course of the playthrough.

Don't let my critical comments in other posts deter you.  ME IS a FUN game!  No doubt about that.  It's well worth its purchase price (even w/o the DLC).  And, I believe, FUN is the primary criterion for judging games...not how "pure" they are to some genre classification.  Happy to hear it's going well for you.  icon_smile 
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 09:14:07 PM by Corvus Corax » Logged
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2008, 10:07:10 PM »

I thought Id make a new character. A evil female.

Hemlock Bones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2008, 06:48:55 PM »

Isn't that redundant?  icon_twisted  Just kidding
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2008, 07:43:44 PM »

Up to save #264 smile

Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2008, 08:28:45 PM »

Do they tell you how many quick saves you have used? I just pump F6 like a monkey. I'm getting near the end( I think) still having fun. I have done every side mission given but I don't think I have been to all the clusters. Any reason to go to them unasked? I will be bummed when this game is over.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2008, 09:04:53 PM »

Ive never used quick save.

I tried going to some systems without anyone telling me too but it would'nt let me land anywhere not even on the one planet I should be able to land on. Real bummer.

Im also doing every side mission this first time through. They really seem to be repeating though now and next play through as my evil babe Im skipping them. Or at least Im skipping all the debris and minerals and anomolies and such and just going right for the camps and such.

Corvus Corax
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2008, 10:59:19 PM »

Think I had about 540 saves on my first char (soldier-commando) with 4 playthroughs.  Funny there's a quick-save, but no quick-load.  My adept-bastion finished getting all the biotic achievements yesterday so I stopped the playthrough and created a new pure engineer char with a sniper-rifle bonus talent (love sniping in this game!).  This shep will pick up the last of the achievements for me.

If you skip all the debris/anomaly sites, you'll miss killing some thresher-maws, plus at least one geth ambush.  Thresher-maws give lots of xp, if you kill them while outside the mako.  In fact, it's better xp-wise to alway kill things while outside the mako (approx. 50% xp penalty for kills inside).

Side-missions are really repetitive because there's only three interior layouts that are constantly recycled (mine interior, warehouse interior, and small base-interior).  Most side-missions are simply "go to x and kill everything (and sometimes retrieve object y).   
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2008, 12:45:05 AM »

Okay I have to take some marks off. I'm at what I believe to be the final boss battle. it's way tough and appears to consist of multiple stages with no way to save in between. Looks like many repeats. God I hate when devs do this.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2008, 12:53:52 AM »

Quote from: Greg Wak on July 25, 2008, 12:45:05 AM

Okay I have to take some marks off. I'm at what I believe to be the final boss battle. it's way tough and appears to consist of multiple stages with no way to save in between. Looks like many repeats. God I hate when devs do this.

I thought the final boss fight was pretty easy, but then again I was maxxed out at level 50 by the time I got there.

Because I can,
Vinda-Lou

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2008, 01:23:35 AM »

Sorry for posting this, but I didn't want to start a new thread, so here's a quick question.

I own ME for the 360.  I'm about two hours in, maybe four at the most.  Is it worth trading in the game and getting the PC version?  Are the changes worth the money?  My computer should be able to handle cranked visuals.  I do prefer the PC over the 360 anyway for most games. 
Corvus Corax
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2008, 02:50:23 AM »

Quote from: Greg Wak on July 25, 2008, 12:45:05 AM

If you mean the final fight, IIRC it's in two parts with a cutscene in between.  The key is to keep moving while pounding away at you-know-who every chance you get.  If you stay in one place, he'll likely take you out, as he has a good ranged attack.
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2008, 03:06:47 AM »

Yeah, I know what I have to do. And I'm level 50 myself. But I'm just not great and the strafe and dodge stuff, so it's gonna take me several tries. Sigh....
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2008, 03:51:41 AM »

Quote from: Vinda-Lou on July 25, 2008, 01:23:35 AM

Sorry for posting this, but I didn't want to start a new thread, so here's a quick question.

I own ME for the 360.  I'm about two hours in, maybe four at the most.  Is it worth trading in the game and getting the PC version?  Are the changes worth the money?  My computer should be able to handle cranked visuals.  I do prefer the PC over the 360 anyway for most games. 

the only problem right now is that some people are having issues with the PC version and a patch is still 'coming soon'.  The 360 version definitely works fine, but if you trade for the PC version you run the risk of not being able to play right away.  Oh, and we're still waiting on the free DLC that was supposed to be available on release day.

Because I can,
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2008, 04:16:35 AM »

I was at the end earlier..I was really close to beating you know who when my monitor went black and the dvi signal icon popped up. Game was getting really choppy and confusing then that. I musta been fighting for 12 min at that point. Haven't had the heart to try it again tonight.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: