http://gamingtrend.com
October 24, 2014, 04:54:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Which Mass Effect game do you like best?
Mass Effect - 2 (8%)
Mass Effect 2 - 17 (68%)
They are both as good as each other - 6 (24%)
They are both crap - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 25

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mass Effect Vs Mass Effect 2  (Read 439 times)
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 30, 2011, 10:10:22 AM »

I am currently replaying the Mass Effect games and again i am really enjoying them,but for me these games are like Alien and Aliens i love them both and they are like two sides of the same coin

(all IMO below)
The only major problem with Mass Effect 1 is that the Mako exploring on uncharted worlds gets very tedious,the Mako story driven worlds are fine,its more trying to get over mountains and stuff on other planets

The Planet Raping was better in number 2

I think the Citadel area is better in number 1 than 2

The Normandy,and things to do on there is better in Mass Effect 2

Music is better,and more Blade Runner-ish,in Mass Effect 1 especially the start menu

so,which is your favourite of the two?

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 10:45:44 AM »

The only things I thought were better in ME1 were the overall story and villain and the larger number of skills, but where ME1 really stumbled were the characters.  Other than the two DLC characters and Legion, any of the other nine companions in ME2 are alone more interesting and well-developed than the entire cast of ME1 combined.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 05:37:12 PM »

The Citadel is a better realized location in the first Mass Effect, but from a gameplay perspective, it was a dreadful way to kick off the game.  An action-oriented RPG-shooter should not open with two hours of tedious scavenger hunting and fetch questing.  I've replayed Mass Effect enough times that I can blow through those sections in the most efficient way possible, and it still feels interminable.

Compare it to your time on Omega in Mass Effect 2.  Same premise, exploring a metropolis-sized space station while setting up the story, but instead of filling out paperwork, settling patent disputes, or combing last hallway for keepers to scan, most of your quests involve shooting bad guys in the head.

Moving past the intro to each game, the main story missions in Mass Effect felt much bigger and more important than those in the sequel.  That first game had you saving entire colonies from annihilation and uncovering millennia-old galactic truths.  Some were equal parts driving and on-foot shooting, and when placed in the proper context, piloting the Mako was an agreeable way to mix up the gameplay. 

Mass Effect 2 had better storytelling techniques, but employed them towards much less ambitious goals.  Miranda is sad.  Jack is angry.  Jacob is boring.  Make your teammates less sad, angry, and boring, and...that's about 80% of the game right there.  There's a lot to be said for the importance of forming real bonds with deep characters, especially in a fanciful sci-fi setting, but it would have been nice if the galaxy-ending ancient evil did more than bookend everybody's daddy issues.

But gameplay-wise, Mass Effect 2 wins hands-down.  Weapons feel good.  Cover is important.  Combined squad tactics are essential, especially at the higher difficulties.  As much as I disliked the way Bioware handled the inventory and skill "streamlining," the end result is still far better than the barely-serviceable gunplay of the original.

-Autistic Angel
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 05:47:34 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on July 30, 2011, 10:10:22 AM

The Planet Raping was better in number 2

saywhat  that's a big reason why I can't bring myself to replay ME2.  scan scan scan scan scan.  I've replayed ME1 3-4 times and every time I've had no issues exploring all the planets with the Mako (plus if you look at the map most times you can drive around any mountains to get somewhere), but bring up ME2 with the scanning and it's a no-go.

I agree with AA on the storytelling issue.  I've said it before, but ME1 felt like an epic sci-fi movie while ME2 felt like a TV show with the 'character of the week' episodes.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 07:22:04 PM »

toss up really.

ME1 inventory system was a joke. the mako was made to piss off gamers, side planets irrelevant. but the story was vastly superior before bioware went all dude bro lol12yearoldgamers.

ME2 had better combat. The doctor guy, forgot his name, the weapon upgrades were handled better. But the story was shit, scanning of planets is the biggest wtf were they thinking, in recent game. Side missions still useless.

Both games had obvious choices that really amounted to exactly no consequences of one over the other.
Mithridates

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 08:36:18 PM »

I did enjoy Mass Effect, and after finishing it I figured I would go back and play it again at some point.  Then I played ME2 and felt it was no doubt the superior game.  I'll play THAT one again at some point, but I don't think I could go back to Mass Effect.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 02:20:36 AM »

I had to grind my way through Mass Effect 1.  Hated the Citadel and once I was able to leave I think I only came back once.  The characters were dull; the only two I liked were Tali and Wrex.  If it wasn't for the knowledge that Mass Effect 2 was coming out I never would have finished it.  And since someone will ask why I bothered with the sequel if I didn't enjoy the first; I played Dragon Age BEFORE playing Mass Effect and held it as one of the best RPG's I had played in many years.  My assumption was that ME2 would build on what I loved from DA.

While it was nothing like DA I loved Mass Effect 2 for the very first minutes.  The Citadel was finally fun and interesting, characters were unique and almost universally excellent and the world felt much more unique and alive.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2011, 03:25:30 AM »

2 by a mile.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 07:58:02 PM »

as i am replaying ME2 now,the Citadel while i think aiming for a Blade Runner feel reminds me more of Coruscant from Star Wars:AOTC,especially when Obi Wan and Anakin are tracking down that assassin in the bar

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: