http://gamingtrend.com
April 18, 2014, 10:01:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mass Effect - Should we wait until all the bugs are patched?  (Read 2417 times)
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 20, 2007, 01:28:01 AM »

Many of the reviews for Mass Effect are positive in their scoring, but reading through the entire review reveals the disturbing fact that this game is actually riddled with bugs including a mediocre framerate, slow-loading textures, clipping, A.I bugs, full system lock ups, and more. Here are what a few reviewers say about it:

From IGN: The framerate in Mass Effect is as erratic as they come. This isn't something that happens occasionally. It happens incessantly. The game also has issues loading textures in when you enter a new environment. Flat, boring scenery gets filled in with details piece by piece for a few moments each time you load in.

We would be remiss if we didn't mention Mass Effect's numerous bugs and glitches. Clipping through the scenery is a regular occurrence, particularly when you make use of the singularity biotic. Shepard has a displeasing tendency to get stuck in objects, sometimes in the midst of battle. It happens to NPCs as well -- it isn't nearly as frustrating but it does kill your sense of immersion when an enemy "phases" through a wall. On occasion, the game stopped registering our button presses. Rarely, Mass Effect even went the whole nine yards and locked up.

From Eurogamer: Some of the frame-rate issues, while not crippling, are certainly wince-worthy enough to make you wonder whether the game is truly ready. Halo 2/Gears of War-style texture pop-in is also rife throughout, and perhaps shows some the limitations of the 360 not having a hard disk as standard. Also, what happened to the AI? Most of the time it's just plain dim, just standing around waiting to be shot, or charging idiotically at you.

----

Like most of you, I'm excited about Mass Effect. It was my most anticipated game of the year right up until impressions from review sites and K-Mart shoppers began trickling in and revealing the game's many shortcomings. So, considering that aside from the gameplay issues there is a wonderful and engaging experience to be had, perhaps we should consider waiting until the game is patched up and optimized to experience it in it's best form? I'm seriously considering doing since its not like there is a lack of alternatives on the market right now. Instead of jumping into ME tomorrow I can get rolling on SMG, AC, or Uncharted. Hell, we should probably be making noise on the Bioware forums so that they get those patches out quicker. What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 01:32:10 AM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 01:37:53 AM »

Is there a promise to see a patch come out to fix all the glitches/bugs?

Also, has there ever been a patch that fixes getting stuck in objects, frame-rate issues, pop-in, etc.?  I don't think that sort of thing can get patched, it's inherently part of the graphical engine itself.

I'd like to be proven wrong, though.

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
addybojangles on GameCenter
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 01:41:09 AM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on November 20, 2007, 01:37:53 AM

Is there a promise to see a patch come out to fix all the glitches/bugs?

Also, has there ever been a patch that fixes getting stuck in objects, frame-rate issues, pop-in, etc.?  I don't think that sort of thing can get patched, it's inherently part of the graphical engine itself.

I'd like to be proven wrong, though.

Not so much on consoles, but the occasional F'ed up PC game gets fixed. I just figure since ME is such a high-profile game they would be able to continue working on some of the issues. I think a better developer would have been able to get this game out in tip-top form. Hopefully with EA's acquisition we might also see more resources dedicated to QA testing.

Sean Lama
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 01:43:08 AM »

Um, I would probably fall over dead if they patched it to improve framerates and texture loading.  That just doesn't happen on consoles.  Hell, poor framerates are practically a Bioware console staple.  If you want a more optimized experience I would recommend waiting a year or two for the inevitable PC version. 
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 01:44:26 AM »

Ridah, from what you've posted, I can't see any way that you would have fun with the game right now.  Play something else for a while, and watch the impressions threads.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2007, 01:44:35 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on November 20, 2007, 01:41:09 AM

Hopefully with EA's acquisition we might also see more resources dedicated to QA testing.

icon_lol  EA doesn't even believe in patching their PC games- better to just put the resources into fixing it in the next annual release.  Bioware's QA is likely to go down, not up, under the EA acquisition. 
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 01:46:18 AM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on November 20, 2007, 01:44:26 AM

Ridah, from what you've posted, I can't see any way that you would have fun with the game right now.  Play something else for a while, and watch the impressions threads.

Seriously, for the love of god help us all and just wait for the inevitable PC version. Your "most anticipated game" is going to obviously drive you crazy the way you have been talking about it.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007, 01:52:01 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 20, 2007, 01:44:35 AM

Quote from: Ridah on November 20, 2007, 01:41:09 AM

Hopefully with EA's acquisition we might also see more resources dedicated to QA testing.

icon_lol  EA doesn't even believe in patching their PC games- better to just put the resources into fixing it in the next annual release.  Bioware's QA is likely to go down, not up, under the EA acquisition. 

I disagree entirely, EA did an excellent job patching up C&C 3 beyond technical issues with balancing patches and the like. Also, every game from EA that I've played on the 360 has been a very polished product. I'm not trying to sound like an EA whore or anything I'm just going based off my personal experiences with them and my hopes for the next ME game.

Sean Lama
nymanium
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2007, 01:59:29 AM »

Don't wait, only had one freeze during my entire game and I didn't lose much, after that I saved all the time just to be safe, and be careful with the mako, it can and will get stuck in impossible ways where you can't move it.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2007, 02:03:25 AM »

Shouldn't we at least wait until the game is out to call it bug ridden?

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2007, 02:20:29 AM »

Also, texture loading is a known issue with Unreal Engine 3.  It sounds like it might be a little worse in ME, but it was apparent in both Gears and Bioshock. 
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2007, 02:46:13 AM »

I'm getting the game tomorrow, and damn it, I'm going to enjoy it, 'minor issues' or not.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2007, 03:58:40 AM »

perhaps shows some the limitations of the 360 not having a hard disk as standard.
That is a load of crap right there.  I see plenty of that on the PS3 as well.  Even on first party titles. 

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2007, 04:59:23 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on November 20, 2007, 03:58:40 AM

perhaps shows some the limitations of the 360 not having a hard disk as standard.
That is a load of crap right there.  I see plenty of that on the PS3 as well.  Even on first party titles. 

As I understand it, the issue is worse when the textures are being streamed from the DVD instead of via HDD. 
drake113
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2007, 05:13:09 AM »

Are you nuts?

"What the?  Framerate stutter?!?  That could cost me nearly 3/10ths of a second!  No way I'm wasting that kind of time!  Instead, I'll wait 6 months for a patch!"

Yeah... thanks, but no.  You chumps can wait, but I'll be out there tomorrow, saving the galaxy with my Collector's Edition disc as soon as I possibly can. 
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2007, 05:24:15 AM »

That's it.  I'm not getting it now.  Reviews are talking about bugs.  And those reviewers know their stuff man!  I think I'll take my money and pick up the story saturated Gears of War instead.

Roll Eyes

slywink

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2007, 06:20:36 AM »

who needs ME when we have AC?  Tongue

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2007, 06:27:22 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 20, 2007, 02:20:29 AM

Also, texture loading is a known issue with Unreal Engine 3.  It sounds like it might be a little worse in ME, but it was apparent in both Gears and Bioshock. 

+U2K Tha Gratezt
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2007, 06:34:56 AM »

Actually, it'll be an issue with all of these upcoming games.  Why?  Because this generation of consoles still don't really have much memory.  Only about 512mb to be exact.  So either you make a game with simpler textures.  Or, if you're making a game with a ton of complex textures and shaders, you'll have to constantly stream in new textures as players reach new areas.  Usually this happens before the player gets to that area.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2007, 06:53:12 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on November 20, 2007, 06:34:56 AM

Actually, it'll be an issue with all of these upcoming games.  Why?  Because this generation of consoles still don't really have much memory.  Only about 512mb to be exact.  So either you make a game with simpler textures.  Or, if you're making a game with a ton of complex textures and shaders, you'll have to constantly stream in new textures as players reach new areas.  Usually this happens before the player gets to that area.

It's an issue, but certainly one that can be overcome with some clever coding and good use of resources.  Unfortunately, Bioware has proven many times in the past that they are neither clever nor resourceful.  They write some cool stories, though!  I expect nothing different here.

gellar
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2007, 06:53:38 AM »

Quote from: drake113 on November 20, 2007, 05:13:09 AM

Are you nuts?

"What the?  Framerate stutter?!?  That could cost me nearly 3/10ths of a second!  No way I'm wasting that kind of time!  Instead, I'll wait 6 months for a patch!"

Yeah... thanks, but no.  You chumps can wait, but I'll be out there tomorrow, saving the galaxy with my Collector's Edition disc as soon as I possibly can. 

Framerate stutters aren't an issue because it delays the amount of time to complete an action. Imagine watching a movie and at a tense part, or a part integral to the story, the movie begins stuttering. It would take way the immersion, which ME is all about.

Sean Lama
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2007, 07:26:42 AM »

Quote from: ATB on November 20, 2007, 06:27:22 AM

+U2K Tha Gratezt

I don't get the correlation.

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2007, 09:46:29 AM »

Remember Donald Sutherland in Kelly's Heroes? A kind of drugged out Hippie tank commander.......His favorite line when all his men would be moaning about going into battle against German Tiger tanks was................................."Negative airwaves, too many negative airwaves..lets think positive here"!

Bite the apple before you comment on its sweetness.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2007, 01:09:33 PM »

If they can't patch the game, I may just wait until they patch the price.

Ah, who am I kidding?  LOng weekend?  I'll pick it up by tomorrow.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2007, 01:16:53 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on November 20, 2007, 07:26:42 AM

+U2K Tha Gratezt

FOOL!  Who does Ridah have as his avatar?  -100 GT Cred points
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2007, 03:30:00 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on November 20, 2007, 09:46:29 AM

Bite the apple before you comment on its sweetness.

I hear that never works out well in the end  icon_wink

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2007, 03:38:09 PM »

Well it certainly didn't for Sleeping Beauty. She woke up with a sweaty-faced CK over her and had an aneurysm.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2007, 03:42:34 PM »

Quote from: ATB on November 20, 2007, 01:16:53 PM

+U2K Tha Gratezt

-100 ATB points for missing the $.
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2007, 03:43:18 PM »

No!  Don't wait!  I can't wait till I see that opening cinematic!

Group hug everyone!  nod

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2007, 03:50:30 PM »

Quote from: Starshifter on November 20, 2007, 05:24:15 AM

That's it.  I'm not getting it now.  Reviews are talking about bugs.  And those reviewers know their stuff man!  I think I'll take my money and pick up the story saturated Gears of War instead.

Roll Eyes

slywink
icon_biggrin

The Gone Gold Effect has a strong influence on the weak minded ...
GamerTag: Scoop20906
Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2007, 03:52:26 PM »

DAY ONE BUY!! If I could enjoy KOTOR though it had ugly graphics, some bugs, and imbalanced combat, then I do with MASS EFFECT.

Can't wait to leave work and pick it up. I got $70 absolutely frying a hole in my pants!!!

The Gone Gold Effect has a strong influence on the weak minded ...
GamerTag: Scoop20906
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2007, 04:11:21 PM »

Quote from: Scoop20906 on November 20, 2007, 03:52:26 PM

...I got $70 absolutely frying a hole in my pants!!!

If I were Purge or CK, I would have some incredibly witty comment in response to this statement.

But I'm not, so I got nothin'.   icon_neutral

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2007, 04:12:43 PM »

If that ain't a werewolf then I don't know what is.

Lynch Scoop

Oh, and I think someone should call the cops on Shifty so he ends up in jail for the night and has to wait until TOMORROW to play.  Bonus points for getting his house set up as a crime scene with EMERGENCY vehicles parked in front of it. (and his 360 confiscated for evidence).

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2007, 04:13:13 PM »

Can't wait to leave work and pick it up. I got $70 absolutely frying a hole in my pants!!!

OK, we told you this once before and this is the last time:  any money you stick underneath the strippers thong has to stay there- you're not supposed to take it back  disgust

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2007, 04:14:11 PM »

CK FTW.

IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2007, 04:20:49 PM »

I would have gone with:

I have syphillis frying a hole in my pants.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2007, 04:43:29 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on November 20, 2007, 04:20:49 PM

I would have gone with:

I have syphillis frying a hole in my pants.

TMI?

Because I can,
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2007, 05:11:46 PM »

Quote from: ATB on November 20, 2007, 01:16:53 PM

+U2K Tha Gratezt

LAWL, I should have picked up on that biggrin

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2007, 05:14:41 PM »

Well heck, if no one else is gonna wait then I'm sure not! Its strange, I don't know if its just because everyone else is so hyped about the game or deep down I know I'll still love it despite the issues, but I'm really excited. It has also to do with this being a long weekend due to Thanksgiving, I have enough time to dump massive hours into the game. Woo!

Sean Lama
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2007, 04:14:47 PM »

I guess it's no longer ironic that console games have bugs and glitches, and need to be patched these days. That used to be one ballyhooed advantage over PCs, that console games shipped finished cause the devs knew they couldn't just patch things up later -- it's certainly still an advantage to not have to buy a $399-$599 video card or a $1,500-$3,000 system every time a hot new game comes out, so I'm certainly not crowing about my obsolete PC these days. It just seems like we're all gradually going to be in the same patchy boat.  icon_neutral.

This could still be a system-seller for me if I can get over the console's erratic reliability problems (I know a lot of folks who never had problems with XBox360s, and others who've had to return it for repairs multiple times, I just don't know what to think  icon_confused).
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 04:19:03 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Meltdown (Steam early access)
-Running With Soldiers (Steam early access)
-Breach & Clear
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: