http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 01:34:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mass Effect PC... Impressions?  (Read 12518 times)
kratz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 29, 2008, 05:03:29 PM »

My copy came yesterday, but I won't get to crack it open until later.

I played a few planets into the 360 version, but when I saw that they were adding back in the better tactical control of squadmates that they had taken out before the 360 release, I ditched it to pick this up... I'm hoping it's good...

Anyone play last night?
Hemlock Bones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 06:36:03 PM »

My first impression is that I aint' buy'n it for $50.  So it may be awhile before I get it.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 07:04:46 PM »

I paid $40.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 01:22:42 AM »

I played around with it a bit last night.  The whole shooting element is much easier with the mouse/keyboard combo, and I've got all the details cranked.  it's weird, the 'loading' screen will pop up in odd locations, and for some reason when I was in the Normandy it popped up twice when I was crossing the cargo hold with the Mako in it.  You think with a 10 gig install there'd be less loading.  I do think the elevators are a bit faster though.  I haven't gotten into the tactical bit yet, but then again I barely touched it when I was playing the 360 version.  The new hacking mini-game seems to be pretty easy too-  it's basically a glorified version of Frogger.

Dynamic Shadows seem to be acting funky (they'd be fuzzy and seem to move on their own), so I turned them off for now.  Otherwise the graphics seem to be a notch up from the 360 version with no pop in.

Supposedly the first DLC for the 360 was supposed to be available for free as of yesterday, but it's not out yet.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 01:33:03 AM »

How do the special powers work now?  Did they do away with the game-pausing radial menu?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 01:37:25 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on May 30, 2008, 01:33:03 AM

How do the special powers work now?  Did they do away with the game-pausing radial menu?

you have hotkeys (1 through 6) for your abilities to be assigned too.  I'm not sure about the teammates as I set those on auto.

Because I can,
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 03:54:10 AM »

There is a new and better version of the pause menu... hold down shift and you have menus on either side for each team member, and down at the bottom for yourself... it's much easier to deal with.

I played through the intro part and I think it's better than the 360 version... mainly the shooting controls are much better, which speeds up the combat and makes it flow better... definitely looks better... I've got it cranked at 1600x1200 and it looks good and runs great.
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 09:37:46 AM »

What type of machine spec are we talking to get a reasonable performance

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008, 12:38:16 PM »

Is this game on sale anywhere this week. I want to pick it up but finances are tight.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2008, 12:50:53 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on May 30, 2008, 12:38:16 PM

Is this game on sale anywhere this week. I want to pick it up but finances are tight.

Circuit City $39.99 I believe. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2008, 03:26:29 PM »

Quote from: Tals on May 30, 2008, 09:37:46 AM

I'm running it on a core 2 duo E6400 (or 6300, I can't quite remember anymore) with 2 gig of RAM and a nVidia 8800GTX w/ 768 RAM and it's pretty smooth.  I'm not at home right now so I'm not sure what it lists for the min/rec specs.

Because I can,
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2008, 04:20:22 PM »

Quote from: Tals on May 30, 2008, 09:37:46 AM

Fairly mild for a current release.

http://masseffect.bioware.com/gameinfo/system_requirements_pc.html
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2008, 05:05:32 PM »

Quote from: kratz on May 30, 2008, 03:54:10 AM

There is a new and better version of the pause menu... hold down shift and you have menus on either side for each team member, and down at the bottom for yourself... it's much easier to deal with.

I played through the intro part and I think it's better than the 360 version... mainly the shooting controls are much better, which speeds up the combat and makes it flow better... definitely looks better... I've got it cranked at 1600x1200 and it looks good and runs great.

It looks a whole lot better, IMO, if you turn off the film grain "feature". smile

The interface is much improved over the 360 version, and as has been mentioned, combat is much easier with the mouse/kb combo.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2008, 05:28:29 PM »

I'm running a quad core 6600 or something... is that a number? And an 8800GT. I think.
Butterknife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2008, 06:14:20 PM »

I just got my copy from the company store.  I never did play the 360 version so I am looking forward to an excellent game, just in time for the weekend!  Color me excited.
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2008, 06:15:57 PM »

Quote from: kratz on May 30, 2008, 05:28:29 PM

I'm running a quad core 6600 or something... is that a number? And an 8800GT. I think.

Mine is a 3200+, 2gb memory and 8800GT so would be interested if anyone else has a similar spec (p4 3.00ghz is equiv) and how it runs

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2008, 08:25:54 PM »

I really regret getting this game for the 360.  I struggled through about 80% of it before giving up.  I'd be interested in trying the PC version (which seems to fix most of my gripes), but I have zero desire of going through that first 80% again.  Bummer.

gellar
ANZAC
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2008, 02:48:57 PM »

While some of us are talking specs. I'll throw this in.
I have a dual core athlon 3800+ with 2gig ram and a nvidia 8600GT OC Top and the game runs like a very slow slide show. 
Although the game recognizes the dual core in the readout from the scan in the config section I don't think it is implementing it in the game.

I have tried all settings video wize but the game remains unplayable. Even at everything set to min I'm getting 10 secs between screen update, so obviously something is wrong.

Funny thing is when I bring up the task manager and am in windowed mode with everything set to max the video part of the game runs like a rocket, of course the game can't be played this way because of no sound and input tied to task manager. Nevertheless it indicates my specs can handle the graphic part of the game, so any ideas what to do now?

Byte me
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2008, 03:13:47 PM »

Quote from: ANZAC on May 31, 2008, 02:48:57 PM

While some of us are talking specs. I'll throw this in.
I have a dual core athlon 3800+ with 2gig ram and a nvidia 8600GT OC Top and the game runs like a very slow slide show. 
Although the game recognizes the dual core in the readout from the scan in the config section I don't think it is implementing it in the game.

I have tried all settings video wize but the game remains unplayable. Even at everything set to min I'm getting 10 secs between screen update, so obviously something is wrong.

Funny thing is when I bring up the task manager and am in windowed mode with everything set to max the video part of the game runs like a rocket, of course the game can't be played this way because of no sound and input tied to task manager. Nevertheless it indicates my specs can handle the graphic part of the game, so any ideas what to do now?

have you played around with the games audio settings?  if it runs fine without the sound enabled then maybe setting the sound to a different setting may fix things.

about the only other thing I can think of is to make sure you're using the latest nVidia drivers and if you have them maybe try uninstalling them, run one of those video card driver removal utilities to make sure you have no residual video drivers left and then re-install them.  also,

Because I can,
Krillin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2008, 04:49:55 PM »

Hey ANZAC,

I saw a thread earlier on the Bioware forums from someone having a problem similar to yours.  It's about disabling some kind of remote control service related to PowerDVD.   See link below.

http://masseffect.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=631939&forum=127

If that's not it, there were a few other performance related threads. I've attached a link to one about Geforce 8800gt series cards that I noticed.  Maybe it affects 8600's also.

http://masseffect.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=631581&forum=127
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2008, 05:55:56 PM »

I had it in my hands at Target, but I've gotta let Age of Conan runs it course with me before I jump into something so deep. But I definitely will down the road.  icon_smile The PC version reviews have been really enthusiastic.

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
ANZAC
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2008, 08:04:40 PM »

Thanks guys for the quick replies, I was almost ready to take out my .357 magnum and give this game my own personal rating.

My problem turned out to be related to the PowerDVD, so I removed it and everthing works like a charm, at max for my machine.

SO thanks to both of you for the suggestions and Krillin for the link.

Just as a note I had a similar problem with World in Conflict, where to get the game to run a "line" had to be turned off in
the task manager. Wonder if this is going to be something we are going to have to watch for in the future? Prolly.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 02:52:50 AM by ANZAC » Logged

Byte me
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2008, 12:40:40 AM »

BTW, Amazon.com is the only retailer I have seen still offering the $39.99 "pre-order" price. All the rest bumped theirs up to $49.99. Just an FYI for those wanting to get Mass Effect a bit cheaper.

Bael
Shkspr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2008, 04:02:04 AM »

Quote from: Tals on May 30, 2008, 06:15:57 PM

Quote from: kratz on May 30, 2008, 05:28:29 PM

Mine is a 3200+, 2gb memory and 8800GT so would be interested if anyone else has a similar spec (p4 3.00ghz is equiv) and how it runs

Like a dream so far, though I've only played the prologue.
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2008, 06:10:19 PM »

WARNING, there be spoilers ahead matey!

Ok, I finished it this morning.  Some impressions below.

Overall, Mass Effect was a rather enjoyable experience.  It had a good but not *excellent* story, but enough to compel you to continue on with some urgency.  The whole "reaper" angle was pretty neat and they've left the door wide open for a sequel.  There were lots of moral choices but I didn't really see many ramifications regarding those choices.  Shoot the organ doc?  No biggie.  Kill the colonists?  No biggie.  Your comrades were pretty cool, but I only really got the story out of two of them (Wrex and Garrus).  The others just didn't seem to have a story or it didn't go anywhere.  Ashley's family?  No resolution.  Liara?  Just a sex toy.  Kaiden?  Fodder.  Tali?  I never found any untainted Geth.  It's quite possible that I just missed some of the side quests - I had no guide and never looked anything up online.  Of course, I let the council die at the end.  smile

Combat has a fun, visceral feel.  It actually reminded me of the combat in an old game called Incubation for some reason - just with a different perspective.  Weird, since Incubation was turn-based.  I wish the game let me zoom out a bit more - it made me motion sick on a few occasions.  Some of the controls seem to be difficult to figure out.  I never found out how to use *any* skills, nor did I figure out how to use grenades until late in the game (I kept expecting to find a launcher).  This is all exacerbated by a really shitty manual that tells you practically nothing.  I'm sure I could have found out these questions online, but I really wanted to make my first run-through "pure".  But the different weapons (the shotgun and sniper rifle were my favorites) and various tactical situations made the combat interesting. 

The driving sequences were the absolute pits.  They were boring, combat was unexciting and the landscapes they have you drive over were horrendous.  Why is it that every landscape is so mountainous that I have to see the vehicle drive straight up the side of a mountain just to get to the target?  The vehicle movement on these overly rugged landscapes made me more motion sick than the combat! 

Reading this, some may think that I didn't like the game.  If I didn't, wouldn't have gotten through it.  The party members were at least interesting.  The combat was fun.  The story was compelling.  I had only one lockup the entire time on my machine (dual-core, 8800GT, 2 gigs RAM, Vista) and it ran like a champ.

Overall, I'm not sure it deserves a 2nd play-through (especially with the motion sickness and the lack of camera control), but it's as good an RPG we've seen on the PC in quite a while.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
lex
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2008, 03:55:29 AM »

I'm loving the style of the game so far.  It feels like you're in an epic sci-fi movie.

But.....The planet exploration is kind of neat, but the vehicle control is not that great.  They should have made it control the same way as character movement.  I find the combat can get really overwhelming, and the AI of your squad isn't the smartest.  My squad usually ends up dead within the first few seconds of the battle.  I usually ends up having to re-load often.

I haven't really had problems with the camera control/motion sickness, except during vehicle control.

I'm running on a Athlon64 3200+, 7600GT, 2 gigs ram.  I can run it pretty well on 1024x768 with high textures, med particles and everything else off with some slowdowns here and there, especially during combat.

I'm getting some bugs like audio glitches or crashing on some conversations that other people are having.  The volume also fluctuates and my character doesn't "sprint".  Maybe I'll set it aside until they fix it.

I don't know about the copy protection either, I like the fact that it authorizes your computer and you don't need the DVD afterwards.  But then you're only limited to 3 authorizations.  Hopefully they'll come out with some deauthorization tool.  I like to keep my games forever and play them years down the road on new computers.

But don't get me wrong, the game is great.  It just has a few minor issues.
biggercup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2008, 04:32:08 AM »

I have for XBOX360 and I really like the game.
Too bad I have to wait for my, PC-Only gamer, friend to finish the PC version for me to borrow the game.

I have

ADM Athlon 64 X2 Dual 4200+
2.20 GHz, 4GB Ram

ATI HD3650 w/1GB Memory

21" widescreen monitor (1680 x 1050)

Do you think the game will run pretty well on my pc?
Butterknife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2008, 05:39:29 PM »

I played for about 4 hours this weekend.

Overall I like it.  I have a couple of little gripes (Why doesn't my character smile more?  Why can't I turn off the bobbing while walking?  Why isn't there a better inventory system to make it easier to view upgrades?)  Considering my personality, the fact that the only gripes I can come up with are so minor means that this game is definitely good.  I like pretty much everything about it (I haven't driven the MAKO yet, although I have heard it has some control issues).  Can't wait to play some more tonight.

I started out with a Vanguard, but after playing it a bit realized that it wasn't for me.  I started over and am playing a Soldier, which is far more in line with my interests (yay assault rifles!).  Perhaps in another play-through I'll try more of the magic stuff, but the Soldier fits my play style far better.

I've only gotten as far as the Citadel, so impressions are limited.  I like the dialogue -- it is just really well done.  The voice acting is really good and the characters look so good -- the only thing I could wish for is more facial expression while they are talking!  I can't believe I'm even considering that for a game -- it just shows how amazing they have done for the dialogue system.  I also like that the characters don't actually say exactly what you choose from the dialogue menu -- it makes you want to listen to what your character says as much as what the NPC you are talking to says, instead of just ignoring your own dialogue because you just barely read it when you were choosing what to say.  That was a good design choice.

The fighting is good as well.  This is my first third-person shooter, and the mechanics of it are odd to me because of that.  I am adjusting -- so many games are coming out in this style that I suppose it will be useful to learn the techniques involved.  It feels like cheating to be able to take cover and peer around a barrier without any risk (because of the camera) and wait for your enemy to poke his head out though.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 06:23:59 PM by Butterknife » Logged
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2008, 05:53:49 PM »

Is there any starship on starship fighting?

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2008, 06:08:32 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on June 02, 2008, 05:53:49 PM

Cutscenes would be the only place you'd see that kind of stuff.
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2008, 06:40:32 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on June 02, 2008, 05:53:49 PM

No

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2008, 07:48:21 PM »

Quote from: lex on June 02, 2008, 03:55:29 AM

They should have made it control the same way as character movement.

This is exactly how it worked on the 360 version, and everyone was crying their eyes out about it and how it should control the way it does in the PC version.  What can you do?
D.A.Lewis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2008, 12:33:04 AM »

So far so good - Sci Fi RPGs are few and far between. The last sci fi RPG that I can remember playing was Deus Ex 2 - Bio shock and Riddick were sorta rpgish but not really.
Developers are just totally locked into the fantasy realm when it comes to RPGs 

I too like how the dialoge choice differs from the actual spoken word - Witcher had something similar.

One funny thing was one of my side kicks appeared to have died in a fire fight. I completed the fight just to see how things were going to turn out and right at the end (just as I was about to reload the scene) my so called dead guy was waiting to go to the next  area. I guess he wasn't dead, just disabled. Since I play to have fun, this little oddity didn't bother me in the least.

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2008, 01:21:45 AM »

Dead characters are automatically revived at the end of combat, or you can use the Unity skill to revive them before the battle ends.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2008, 01:06:47 PM »

Quote from: kratz on June 02, 2008, 07:48:21 PM

Quote from: lex on June 02, 2008, 03:55:29 AM

They should have made it control the same way as character movement.

This is exactly how it worked on the 360 version, and everyone was crying their eyes out about it and how it should control the way it does in the PC version.  What can you do?

Lol.  Is it better or worse on the PC, Kratz?  Fwiw, once I realized how the Mako was controlled in the 360 (steer by the right analog stick...), I had no issues with it.
Two Sheds
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2008, 01:40:00 PM »

I don't have any issues with the Mako steering on the PC. WASD controls movement, your mouse controls the turret. It's nothing I haven't used before--the tanks in Crysis, for example.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2008, 02:44:39 PM »

the thing I didn't like about controlling the Mako was the fact that whichever way the camera pointed was considered forward, so panning the camera around while driving would put you off course, and if you wanted to look behind you you'd pretty much have to stop moving, pan around, then pan back.

Because I can,
lex
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2008, 02:47:12 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 03, 2008, 02:44:39 PM

the thing I didn't like about controlling the Mako was the fact that whichever way the camera pointed was considered forward, so panning the camera around while driving would put you off course, and if you wanted to look behind you you'd pretty much have to stop moving, pan around, then pan back.

I don't have a problem with the Mako either.  But it's a little bit disorienting when the WASD works one way for the characters and works differently for the Mako.  But I do detest combat with the Mako though.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2008, 05:25:14 PM »

Eightball... the Mako... I dunno... I actually *liked* the way it controlled on the 360 version... if I panned, I just automatically moved the driving stick to compensate and it felt natural to me, as it was just like controlling a player in most 3rd person games (e.g. GTA).  On the PC it's a little weird because the Mako drives like a tank in that it doesn't turn the front wheels to turn, it drives the opposite wheels from the direction of the turn, so it can be frustrating to get straightened out if you are moving slowly, and it seems like it is always swinging back and forth for me.

That said, I think the game overall is much better on the PC.
Hemlock Bones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2008, 03:36:59 PM »

I got a copy from Best Buy for 39.99 yesterday (06/03).

I started late last night and I'm still in the first mission area but I'm diggin it.  I still feel clueless about how the abilities work and why I'm carrying guns I'm not qualified for.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: