http://gamingtrend.com
April 16, 2014, 10:44:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mass Effect Impressions  (Read 33076 times)
PeteRock
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #480 on: January 07, 2009, 07:23:02 PM »

Quote from: Starshifter on January 07, 2009, 07:17:43 PM

Disregards or ignores anything I ever write>>

You really don't read any of my posts, do you?   icon_wink

I did exactly as you described in my playthrough of Mass Effect, even down to admiring the scenery on the Citadel, reading wall signs, paying attention to architecture or even how doors open and close.  But that's okay, I'll always remember your ignoring my praise of God of War and your subsequent following of someone else's advice to play the game, finally discovering just how amazing a game it was.  Fabulous

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #481 on: January 07, 2009, 07:39:36 PM »

Shifty - I love the way you play games.  It is what makes you special.  And truth be told... I try to play games that way.  Honestly I do.  I end up getting sidetracked and never end up finishing though. 

Did Pete contribute to this thread?  Huh... I must have missed it too.   icon_razz

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #482 on: January 07, 2009, 07:49:48 PM »

Yep, I play RPGs just like Starshifter, really enjoying the world, talking to party members, etc...

I think Mass Effect has a lot of faults, one of them is being too ambitious for today's consoles unfortunately, as the memory and other storage limits caused certain parts to be way too much of a hassle, or to be generic (on planet exploration, inventory & items, even combat).  But the whole was more than enough to make up for those parts, especially the epic plot and characters.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #483 on: January 07, 2009, 07:51:03 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on January 07, 2009, 07:39:36 PM

Did Pete contribute to this thread?  Huh... I must have missed it too.   icon_razz

And you continue your trend of always being wrong.   icon_wink

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #484 on: January 07, 2009, 07:56:38 PM »

Not true!  It was noted somewhere on these very boards that I was right about something last year.  Or maybe it was the year before that.

At any rate... I need to start and finish Mass Effect this year.  Maybe I will make that one of my New Year's Gaming Resolutions.  It would be nice if I could finish Mass Effect and Fallout 3.  I have 51 weeks left to to it.  One would think even I could accomplish that.

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #485 on: January 07, 2009, 08:19:01 PM »

Sadly ME tries to make it hard to play that way because of the stupid elevator!  I stopped talking to certain crew members because it was just annoying to reach them! 

Oh my second play through I will try harder but the really biffed some technical aspects which make it harder to enjoy the game.

Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #486 on: January 07, 2009, 08:19:25 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on January 07, 2009, 07:23:02 PM

Quote from: Starshifter on January 07, 2009, 07:17:43 PM

Disregards or ignores anything I ever write>>

You really don't read any of my posts, do you?   icon_wink

I did exactly as you described in my playthrough of Mass Effect, even down to admiring the scenery on the Citadel, reading wall signs, paying attention to architecture or even how doors open and close.  But that's okay, I'll always remember your ignoring my praise of God of War and your subsequent following of someone else's advice to play the game, finally discovering just how amazing a game it was.  Fabulous

So typical of Mr. Fabulous.  He always thinks that people are referring to him or his novel like posts.  I was just commenting in general you dipshit.  Remember, the Earth revolves around the sun, not PeteRock.   icon_wink  

I think your  Fabulous is going to your swelling head.  icon_razz

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #487 on: January 07, 2009, 08:32:51 PM »

I forgot that the last time I played this is was on a cheaper LCD display that hooked to the 360 using a VGA adapter. Now I've got a good monitor and component cables and it looks very good!

I'm making myself watch every cutscene. I did make my character brutally handsome, so that helps.

XBL gamertag: jztemple
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #488 on: January 07, 2009, 08:34:27 PM »

Quote from: Roscoe on January 07, 2009, 08:32:51 PM

I did make my character brutally handsome, so that helps.

Hence why so many enjoy role-playing, as it allows you to play the role of a completely fictitious character.   icon_cool

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #489 on: January 07, 2009, 10:52:07 PM »

I'm about finished with the game, and I have very mixed feelings about it.  It's like they took a typical Bioware AAA game and put it in a blender with a generic D-level game.  It's great one minute, terrible the next, too hard, then too easy, ambitious, then extremely lazy, thrilling then tedious, etc.  The main quest stuff is well done, but there's too little of it, and the sidequests (which contain at least double the content of the main quest) are almost all awful.  This is especially disappointing since the sidequests have always been a highlight of Bioware's games.  Even their lesser games, like Jade Empire, had some great optional quests.  In ME, some of the quests don't even end; they just stop, and the only way you know you've completed them is seeing that they were removed from your quest list.  Especially disappointing were the character quests.  You'd figure that with only six characters, they'd have some nice character-specific quests for them.  Nope - only 3 characters even have them, and they're just as lifeless and short as the other sidequests.

I think I would have a much more favorable impression of the game if I had just played through the main storyline, but I kept hoping they sidequests would get better.  Mass Effect could have been great, but too often came off as rushed, sloppy, and just plain lazy.  I still have high hopes for Mass Effect 2, though.   Hopefully, they're spending the ME2 development time on creating lots of interesting content, as they already have the "engine" in place.  If they can make a whole game that maintains the quality of the main quest stuff in ME, it should be worthy of their name.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #490 on: January 08, 2009, 01:28:02 AM »

Quote from: Lockdown on January 07, 2009, 07:39:36 PM

And truth be told... I try to play games that way.  Honestly I do.  I end up getting sidetracked and never end up finishing though. 

yeah, like that time you were playing Dead or Alive 4 and your 'role-playing' included you dressing up as Helena and you got sidetracked by having too big a selection of pumps....

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #491 on: January 08, 2009, 08:12:56 PM »

I'm having a great time playing this, now that I'm going slowly and working through all the quests.

Best line so far? Shepard uses his Intimidation to convince some warehouse workers to put away their guns and walk away instead of defending Fist. Wrex looks at Shepard and says:

"It would have been quicker to just kill them"

Words to live by, my friends.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 08:21:48 PM by Roscoe » Logged

Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #492 on: January 08, 2009, 10:08:25 PM »

Quote from: Roscoe on January 08, 2009, 08:12:56 PM

I'm having a great time playing this, now that I'm going slowly and working through all the quests.

Best line so far? Shepard uses his Intimidation to convince some warehouse workers to put away their guns and walk away instead of defending Fist. Wrex looks at Shepard and says:

"It would have been quicker to just kill them"

Words to live by, my friends.

My favorite line was when I talked to Liara next to the lake in the Citidel and she states how tranquil, relaxing and beautiful it looks.  Without hesitation, Ashley chimes in on her own and states "I wonder how many people drowned in there".  I busted a gut laughing.  It was at that moment I decided that Liara was the girl for me.

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #493 on: January 09, 2009, 03:48:10 AM »

How do I get more grenades? I used all mine up on a mission but I don't know where to get more. I can't seem to buy any.

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #494 on: January 09, 2009, 02:46:06 PM »

Quote from: Roscoe on January 09, 2009, 03:48:10 AM

How do I get more grenades? I used all mine up on a mission but I don't know where to get more. I can't seem to buy any.

You have to find them.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #495 on: January 10, 2009, 01:14:48 AM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on January 09, 2009, 02:46:06 PM

Quote from: Roscoe on January 09, 2009, 03:48:10 AM

You have to find them.

yeah, from looting dead enemies and crates.  IIRC it doesn't actually mention that you get them, or if it did I might have been too busy paying attention to the loot and not the other stuff that pops up like credits found.

Because I can,
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #496 on: July 17, 2009, 05:08:08 AM »

Finally finished this game.  Had it for xbox at one point, couldn't get into it.  My bro has it on his steam, so I played it on that for the PC.  I didn't do all the side quests, just mainly did the main story.  I thought it was pretty fun overall, interface and controls were a little clunky due to being a console port, but story was interesting enough.  Never did see that sex scene they keep talking about, not that I cared.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #497 on: July 17, 2009, 05:54:37 AM »

Quote from: naednek on July 17, 2009, 05:08:08 AM

Finally finished this game.  Had it for xbox at one point, couldn't get into it.  My bro has it on his steam, so I played it on that for the PC.  I didn't do all the side quests, just mainly did the main story.  I thought it was pretty fun overall, interface and controls were a little clunky due to being a console port, but story was interesting enough.  Never did see that sex scene they keep talking about, not that I cared.

the controls for the PC version were improved over the console version, but if you didn't play a lot of the console version you probably wouldn't have noticed.

Because I can,
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #498 on: July 17, 2009, 06:12:20 AM »

I've tried to do a second play-through of Mass Effect but each time I get about 5-6 hours in and drop it, hopefully there will be a recap before the ME2 comes out.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #499 on: July 17, 2009, 07:25:49 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on July 17, 2009, 06:12:20 AM

I've tried to do a second play-through of Mass Effect but each time I get about 5-6 hours in and drop it, hopefully there will be a recap before the ME2 comes out.

you could just read the plot on wiki.

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #500 on: July 17, 2009, 09:34:51 AM »

i am gonna replay it when the new DLC hits,whenever that turns out to be

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #501 on: July 17, 2009, 09:41:38 AM »

I am currently on my first play-through of the game, and love it...I do believe I'm pretty close to finishing the main story, so want to do some of the side missions now - only lvl 38 right now and I do think I want to be around lvl 50 before moving on.

Btw - the whole main story thing on Sarens planet was awesome! loved every part of it - thats what makes a good rpg!!

A new one
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #502 on: October 05, 2009, 04:14:48 AM »

Question: I'm playing this now and have kept both of the humans with me the whole time. If you swap out another character does it level them up like in KOTOR, or do you have to level each character real-time? I guess I could just try it, but I just thought of it and figured I would ask smile

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #503 on: October 05, 2009, 04:25:29 AM »

All your companions are your current level at any given time, regardless of whether you bring them along or not.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #504 on: October 05, 2009, 04:41:59 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 05, 2009, 04:25:29 AM

All your companions are your current level at any given time, regardless of whether you bring them along or not.

Thanks - is there any scaling of the enemies as you get more powerful?

The reason I ask is that I did a lot of side quests after doing the first of the first 3 main quests, yet when I got to the
Spoiler for Hiden:
Thorian zombie guys
using my level 5 or 6 sniper rifle just knocks them over, requiring additional shots (usually cleanup from my teammates) to kill them. And they take 5 or 6 shots from my level 5 or 6 pistol. I figured with the amount of extra leveling up I did I would be able to breeze through the other 2 of those 3 initial quests.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #505 on: October 06, 2009, 01:52:12 AM »

Well, I am very late to the party here, but I'll say that Mass Effect has its hooks in me. I'm near 20 hours in and haven't done much of the main story. Why do I keep visiting barren planets to truck around scanning artifacts and fighting through the odd settlement or mine? I'd have to say that one reason is that all the main missions I have played have been a good deal of fun. Not a lot of thought was put into the random planets, but the main missions have a nice mix of driving, fighting and light puzzle solving. The other reason? Loot. I am pretty hooked on searching every sludge canister and malfunctioning equipment for a sniper rifle with 1 extra point of power, a more explosive grenade upgrade or a snazzy looking set of armor.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #506 on: October 06, 2009, 02:10:03 AM »

Teggy, just be aware that there are certain manufacturers that produce way superior weapons.  So much so that their level 7 gear tops a lot of level 10 gear.  So don't immediately discard lower level loot.

Enemies do scale with you, depending on what difficulty setting you're at, grunts, leaders, mini-bosses, and bosses scale at different rates.  However, even though enemies scale with you, they don't scale up to your weaponry.  Later on you'll have no trouble blasting apart stuff if you're really going around grabbing as much as you can.

In ME2, they've specifically stated that random world exploration will be much more interesting, treating them more like crafted scenes to explore rather than random fractal landscapes with junk lying around.  They even have a new ground vehicle that they say is less finicky than the Mako.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #507 on: October 06, 2009, 03:50:28 PM »

I loved collecting loot at first, but after a while most of the stuff I found was useless to me.  Once I had the ideal armor for my character and leveled up my shotgun (the shotgun in my opinion is one of the most powerful weapons in the game) with incendiary rounds I just wreaked absolute flaming havoc on everything in my path.  All that was left after a firefight was the ash of my enemies. 

Yet despite how useless things were for me, it was helpful in outfitting my teammates, and I also still couldn't stop exploring, anyway.   ninja

Loved the game.  Loved, loved, loved it.  Can't wait for the sequel.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #508 on: October 06, 2009, 04:18:32 PM »

Well, no one in my party is allowed to use a shotgun, so I don't have the problem biggrin

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #509 on: October 06, 2009, 04:23:09 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on October 06, 2009, 04:18:32 PM

Well, no one in my party is allowed to use a shotgun, so I don't have the problem biggrin

icon_confused

Are they not leveled up far enough?  If not, just wait until you finally reach the appropriate level to use one (unless your class restricts it).  At first its range is limited and it takes a few shots, but once you level up your shotgun enough and add cool rounds like incendiary or chemical (incendiary fries your enemies into ash and chemical melts them like acid) none of the other weapons come even close.  I tried using other weapons, but the shotgun with incendiary rounds was just too much fun.  I even outfitted Ashley with a shotgun and chemical rounds.  We were unstoppable.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #510 on: October 06, 2009, 04:27:19 PM »

No, they are just the characters that aren't allowed to use the shotgun. Wait, you gave Ashley a shotgun? According to her character type she gets an assault rifle and then you can unlock the sniper rifle for her. Wouldn't she be completely untrained using a shotgun?

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #511 on: October 06, 2009, 04:32:10 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on October 06, 2009, 04:27:19 PM

No, they are just the characters that aren't allowed to use the shotgun. Wait, you gave Ashley a shotgun? According to her character type she gets an assault rifle and then you can unlock the sniper rifle for her. Wouldn't she be completely untrained using a shotgun?

You can level up your teammates manually if you take them with you on missions, and once she reached a certain level I trained her on the shotgun (or at least I think I did).  It has been a while since I last played the game, but I'm pretty sure once she was weapons trained to a certain point you unlock her ability to use the shotgun and I then raised her training with that specific weapon.  I'm pretty sure no one can use a shotgun (not even Sheppard) until you train them to a certain point with weapons.  Once they reach a certain point then shotguns are usable and you can continue to train them specifically on shotguns.

Perhaps I'm not remembering correctly and I outfitted her assault rifle with chemical rounds and not the shotgun.  Maybe it was the bullfrog looking guy and not Ashley.  Now I'm not sure.   retard  But I remember shotguns not being usable until your characters leveled to a certain point.  You may be early enough along that they're not available yet, but once you're leveled enough and can use them you'll never go back to anything else.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 04:33:59 PM by PeteRock » Logged

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #512 on: October 06, 2009, 04:34:34 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on October 06, 2009, 04:32:10 PM

Quote from: Teggy on October 06, 2009, 04:27:19 PM

You can level up your teammates manually if you take them with you on missions, and once she reached a certain level I trained her on the shotgun (or at least I think I did).  It has been a while since I last played the game, but I'm pretty sure once she was weapons trained to a certain point you unlock her ability to use the shotgun and I then raised her training with that specific weapon.  Perhaps I'm not remembering correctly and I outfitted her assault rifle with chemical rounds and not the shotgun.  Maybe it was the bullfrog looking guy and not Ashley.  Now I'm not sure.   retard

Because they look so much alike slywink  My female Sheperd was dissapointed to learn she wasn't allowed in Ashley's pants.

Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #513 on: October 06, 2009, 05:55:32 PM »

Getting the itch to replay this again.  Might go again as a Adept

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #514 on: October 06, 2009, 11:51:38 PM »

OK, I was mistaken. Ashley can use the assault rifle, the sniper rifle AND the shotgun.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #515 on: October 06, 2009, 11:55:02 PM »

She's a soldier class so yeah, she can use any weapon.

She's an assault rifle kind of girl though.  Tongue

Wrex is the shotgun guy, he's got the toughness that lets him get close enough to use it.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #516 on: October 07, 2009, 12:27:01 AM »

I always had Ashley on the assault rifle, Tali on the shotgun and Shepard, well Shepard was a sniper rifle type of girl.

GIRL POWER! icon_lol

Because I can,
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #517 on: October 10, 2009, 04:52:38 PM »

Finished up this morning. I put in around 31 hours and fully leveled up to 50. I totally agree that the story was fantastic and the presentation and cut scenes toward the latter half of the game were great. Having some real life or death choices was impressive and I definitely stopped to think before acting.

There's a point where the key mysteries in the story are revealed to you, and I laughed, because each time I thought to myself, "but what about...", a dialog choice addressing just that question would come up. Bioware thought about all the holes and made sure there were answered.

There was only one thing I wasn't clear on and I probably just missed it.
Spoiler for Hiden:
How did Saren first come in contact with the Reaper? What actually set the whole chain of events in motion?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 04:55:45 PM by Teggy » Logged

Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #518 on: October 10, 2009, 05:13:43 PM »

I hope they have the same sound people working on #2. I loved some of the music in this game. I would go to the map just to hear the music.

Playing: ? 360 | FO: New Vegas | BF4 PC / 360 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #519 on: October 11, 2009, 03:01:10 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on October 10, 2009, 04:52:38 PM

There was only one thing I wasn't clear on and I probably just missed it.
Spoiler for Hiden:
How did Saren first come in contact with the Reaper? What actually set the whole chain of events in motion?

I may be wrong on this but I believe there was a conversation option with Captain Anderson just outside the Normandy about halfway through the game where you could get that answered.  I also think that was what the prequel novel was about. 
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: