http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 09:21:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mass Effect Impressions  (Read 34099 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #400 on: December 07, 2007, 05:14:02 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on December 07, 2007, 04:59:47 PM

Level 50 is the max on a first playthrough- Level 60 for New Game +.

And, yeah, I would recommend doing as many sidequests as possible before going to Virmire.  Though there is a bit more left to the game than you think. 

New Game + would be starting a new career but using your existing character, yea?

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #401 on: December 07, 2007, 05:19:18 PM »

And, yeah, I would recommend doing as many sidequests as possible before going to Virmire.  Though there is a bit more left to the game than you think. 

Virmire was awesome, really enjoyed that planet.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #402 on: December 07, 2007, 05:35:40 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on December 07, 2007, 05:14:02 PM

New Game + would be starting a new career but using your existing character, yea?

Yep, although I haven't tried it myself yet.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: December 07, 2007, 06:11:13 PM »

Level 50 is the max and unfortunately I missed it by about a 1000 XP points. I think I completed every side quest there was, so there must be side quests that are very difficult to find or unlock. I think if you're at the end game and you're close, it's probably worth visiting any systems where you're not 100% sure you've scanned everything.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #404 on: December 07, 2007, 06:19:58 PM »

Apologies if this has been answered already.

Can a person open up certain quests or meet certain people by the way conversations go?  In other words, if you answer questions a certain way, will you get access to things others may not get?  I'm just kind of curious.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: December 07, 2007, 06:21:11 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on December 07, 2007, 06:11:13 PM

Level 50 is the max and unfortunately I missed it by about a 1000 XP points. I think I completed every side quest there was, so there must be side quests that are very difficult to find or unlock. I think if you're at the end game and you're close, it's probably worth visiting any systems where you're not 100% sure you've scanned everything.

Even if you don't get to 50 on that initial play through, if you start a new game with your old character and get to 50 on that game, you still get the achievement.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #406 on: December 07, 2007, 06:24:56 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on December 07, 2007, 06:19:58 PM

Apologies if this has been answered already.

Can a person open up certain quests or meet certain people by the way conversations go?  In other words, if you answer questions a certain way, will you get access to things others may not get?  I'm just kind of curious.

Offhand I can't think of any that are that touchy.
Mattc0m

Hardcore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #407 on: December 08, 2007, 12:07:50 AM »

I posted a review up, if anyone is interested!
http://www.mattc0m.com/gaming/journalism/12-07-2007/90/mass-effect-review/

matt "mattc0m" richards
new project: GamesCast TV: eSports Television
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #408 on: December 08, 2007, 04:13:27 AM »

D'oH! I'm at Virmire and haven't even been to Ferros yet :o

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: December 08, 2007, 04:32:05 AM »

The 13-year-old in me snickers that I get an achievement for
Spoiler for Hiden:
getting some alien poontang

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
warning

View Profile
« Reply #410 on: December 08, 2007, 04:38:15 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on December 06, 2007, 05:31:28 PM

I am a pure soldier using Tali and Liara the whole way, and its kind of crazy powerful when you learn what powers to use when and where and with my shields and tanking ability.

I am just completely loving this game and I'm doing the same thing as you Calvin.  I've been relying on Liara and Tali to complement my battle abilities and we totally kick ass.  I just left so my allies auto-use their powers and it's great to see 3-4 enemies floating up on the ceiling while we fill them full of holes.

I've done every sidequest possible as I play through the game and I just finished talking to Wrex on Virmire.  I'm level 41 or 42 I think.  Virmire is flat out gorgeous and the cutscene of the landing just left me with a big stupid grin on my face.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: December 08, 2007, 04:46:04 AM »

Quote from: warning on December 08, 2007, 04:38:15 AM

I am a pure soldier using Tali and Liara the whole way, and its kind of crazy powerful when you learn what powers to use when and where and with my shields and tanking ability.

I am just completely loving this game and I'm doing the same thing as you Calvin.  I've been relying on Liara and Tali to complement my battle abilities and we totally kick ass.  I just left so my allies auto-use their powers and it's great to see 3-4 enemies floating up on the ceiling while we fill them full of holes.

I've done every sidequest possible as I play through the game and I just finished talking to Wrex on Virmire.  I'm level 41 or 42 I think.  Virmire is flat out gorgeous and the cutscene of the landing just left me with a big stupid grin on my face.

I am way behind you (moved this week and everything got put on hold for the last week), but I love it too-I think its the best complimentary trio possible, because your companions are pure 100% classes-the hybrids are fun, but not necessarily that strong. I am only allowing them to use their powers automatically on defense however-I have too much fun casting the powers myself to let them do it on offense biggrin I am loving the game so far, hope to make some serious progress this weekend.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #412 on: December 08, 2007, 05:42:20 AM »

Quote from: Misguided on December 08, 2007, 04:13:27 AM

D'oH! I'm at Virmire and haven't even been to Ferros yet :o

Oh, well that was assuming you did Virmire after Ferros and Novaria.  Although after the awesomeness of Virmire I can't help but think Ferros will seem kind of boring. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #413 on: December 08, 2007, 10:04:38 AM »

Virmire was indeed awesome.  Some great choices there, including:

Spoiler for Hiden:
rifle butting Vrex and shooting him to death as he lay on the ground

I finished the game tonight (level 50 at 40 hours), and wow, I'm wondering how they will work out the setup for ME2 with the choices that are thrown at you during the end sequence.  Definitely my number 2 GOTY, with The Witcher being number 1.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #414 on: December 08, 2007, 03:41:36 PM »

LOL, they ought to tag the darned planets with (this one is really good) and (this one is just decent).
 nod
Honestly, I've just been playing by the seat of my pants, going wherever seems like it might be
important or interesting at the time. I've got the strat guide, but I've only cracked it once

Spoiler for Hiden:
during the fight w/ Benezia

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #415 on: December 08, 2007, 11:45:13 PM »

After completing the game this sums up how I feel about the game:

Story - Excellent, pretty much guarantees I'll be buying Mass Effect 2. 10/10

Graphics - Good character models and a few interesting locations, such as the Citadel, but otherwise crappy. Aside from the technical issues which get worse as you progress, the game world is sparsely detailed and dull, there is hardly any emotion on the character's faces. 6/10

Sound -  Some good music here and there, good voice-acting, good sci-fi sound effects. Nothing special though, it's no Halo 3. 8/10

Gameplay - 5/10. F. FAIL. Right from character creation I knew something was wrong with this game. Combat mechanics are clunky, not much exploration, useless leveling system (midway through the game I just auto-leveled, it didn't make a difference I still rolled over everything), graphical shortcomings during cutscenes rips you straight out of immersion, the dialogue system is misleading, visual motion is jerky (I.E I'm running down a hallway and the game momentarily sutters or freezes), many times my squadmate's voices are inaudible so I had to turn on subtitles.

Despite the shortcomings I still enjoyed the game because of the epic story but it's not a game I would recommend to my friends.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 11:46:55 PM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #416 on: December 09, 2007, 12:20:16 AM »

Random thoughts:

I find it humorous that the sensor upgrades for your weapons can be more powerful than the Makos sensors.  Whenever I got the 'jammed' radar I'd just stop, pop out and almost always be able to get a clear radar reading. 

One thing they really need to do for ME2 is re-design the inventory screen- it needs an option to sort your upgrades by type when selling or a way to sort them alphabetically.

I found most of the upgrades useless.  Other than the scanners, organic or synthetic bullets, one of the stabilizers that did 3 different things and Medical ones I really didn't use them.

The decrypting mini game seemed to be really random.  At times everything would have only 3 button presses and other times even Easy ones would have 6.

Apparently you can only have 9,999,999 credits.

Because I can,
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #417 on: December 09, 2007, 12:54:59 AM »

Just finished, man what a ride!  I was just under 30 hours, which is about the perfect length for me.  Will post more thoughts later, but ME gets a solid A from me.  Wasn't perfect, but those guys at Bioware can certainly put together a hell of a game.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #418 on: December 09, 2007, 04:22:36 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on December 08, 2007, 04:46:04 AM

I am way behind you (moved this week and everything got put on hold for the last week), but I love it too-I think its the best complimentary trio possible, because your companions are pure 100% classes-the hybrids are fun, but not necessarily that strong. I am only allowing them to use their powers automatically on defense however-I have too much fun casting the powers myself to let them do it on offense biggrin I am loving the game so far, hope to make some serious progress this weekend.

Wrex and Garrus get retarded powerful.  Because they can both wield the soldier-only weapons (Assault rifles), and Wrex can use heavy armor.  In fact, even though my soldier had heavy armor, the best human heavy armor wasn't anywhere near as good as the best turian medium or krogan heavy that I found.  Garrus' class skill even increases damage and accuracy with the assault/sniper rifles, and his electronics ability gives him ridiculous shields.  Same with Wrex's barrier ability (ridiculous shields).  Garrus also gets assault training, giving him access to adrenaline burst...meaning he can use his abilities that much faster.

Match Wrex's biotics and Garrus' tech skills with their combat abilities...and I saw no reason even to bother using Liara or Tali much.  Tali I used more often, since she can get pretty mean with a shotgun, but Liara could only use a pistol, and not very well.  Once she shot her load with the biotics, she was basically worthless until they recycled.  Yeah I used her a little, but just found that with Garrus and Wrex I'd ruin anything in the room super fast.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 04:32:20 PM by Eightball » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #419 on: December 09, 2007, 06:40:13 PM »

Quote from: Eightball on December 09, 2007, 04:22:36 PM

Wrex and Garrus get retarded powerful.  Because they can both wield the soldier-only weapons (Assault rifles), and Wrex can use heavy armor.  In fact, even though my soldier had heavy armor, the best human heavy armor wasn't anywhere near as good as the best turian medium or krogan heavy that I found.  Garrus' class skill even increases damage and accuracy with the assault/sniper rifles, and his electronics ability gives him ridiculous shields.  Same with Wrex's barrier ability (ridiculous shields).  Garrus also gets assault training, giving him access to adrenaline burst...meaning he can use his abilities that much faster.

Match Wrex's biotics and Garrus' tech skills with their combat abilities...and I saw no reason even to bother using Liara or Tali much.  Tali I used more often, since she can get pretty mean with a shotgun, but Liara could only use a pistol, and not very well.  Once she shot her load with the biotics, she was basically worthless until they recycled.  Yeah I used her a little, but just found that with Garrus and Wrex I'd ruin anything in the room super fast.

I never used Wrex and only used Garrus on the one mission to find the Doctor.  I always brought Tali along for her tech skills and Ashley because she's hot, and never really had a problem cleaning house.

Because I can,
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #420 on: December 09, 2007, 07:20:39 PM »

Quote from: Eightball on December 09, 2007, 04:22:36 PM

Nice-I will try them next playthrough, or maybe use Garrus every once in a while. Wrex annoys me to no end, so I won't use him right now.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #421 on: December 09, 2007, 07:34:50 PM »

I've left Tali and Liara with just their pistols and they do fine.  I mop up what's left with my rifle.

And I love watching geth flying through the air. Next time I'm playing pure biotic.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #422 on: December 09, 2007, 09:12:07 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on December 06, 2007, 04:43:46 PM

I would like to play through again with a tech focus, but I want to use the assault rifle.  I don't see a combo that allows that frown

Actually... if you play a class that has assault rifles one time, and get the assault rifle mastery achievement, the next time you start a game you can give the assault rifle skill your character regardless of class.  I really like the achievement system for ME as it deals with my main criticism for achievements, they usually give you no tangible gameplay benefit for getting the achievement.  Whereas in ME, getting an achievement often gives you a reward like extra damage with that weapon, stuff for future replays, etc...

The only thing I hoped for was some sort of achievement/special mission for those who go the paragon and renegade route equally.  Something like "unpredictable".
warning

View Profile
« Reply #423 on: December 09, 2007, 09:12:49 PM »

And done!  Finished right at 30 hours and loved it the whole way through.  That was a seriously cool ending!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #424 on: December 09, 2007, 09:33:25 PM »

Quote from: warning on December 09, 2007, 07:34:50 PM

I've left Tali and Liara with just their pistols and they do fine.  I mop up what's left with my rifle.

And I love watching geth flying through the air. Next time I'm playing pure biotic.

yeah, that was fun when I used Liara for Noveria but there were times when I just wanted to smack her and say 'leave some killing for me goddammit!'.

I was looking through my achievements and I guess any future character is guaranteed the pistol and sniper rifle skills.  I also got the Tactician one for taking more shield damage than health damage.  I'm not sure why I didn't get the Quarian Ally one- other than Noveria I used Tali for almost the rest of the game.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 09:38:10 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #425 on: December 09, 2007, 09:46:53 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 09, 2007, 09:33:25 PM

Quote from: warning on December 09, 2007, 07:34:50 PM

yeah, that was fun when I used Liara for Noveria but there were times when I just wanted to smack her and say 'leave some killing for me goddammit!'.

I was looking through my achievements and I guess any future character is guaranteed the pistol and sniper rifle skills.  I also got the Tactician one for taking more shield damage than health damage.  I'm not sure why I didn't get the Quarian Ally one- other than Noveria I used Tali for almost the rest of the game.

Those achievements are apparently "buggy" in that they seem to be kind of random in how long you have to have people in your party and whether they unlock at all.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #426 on: December 14, 2007, 07:42:06 AM »

Interesting rumor about the next 2 games

Because I can,
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #427 on: December 14, 2007, 08:02:40 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 14, 2007, 07:42:06 AM

Peter Moore joining EA is part of a bigger plot for MS to control EA  ninja

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #428 on: December 14, 2007, 08:21:54 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on December 09, 2007, 09:12:07 PM

I would like to play through again with a tech focus, but I want to use the assault rifle.  I don't see a combo that allows that frown

Actually... if you play a class that has assault rifles one time, and get the assault rifle mastery achievement, the next time you start a game you can give the assault rifle skill your character regardless of class.  I really like the achievement system for ME as it deals with my main criticism for achievements, they usually give you no tangible gameplay benefit for getting the achievement.  Whereas in ME, getting an achievement often gives you a reward like extra damage with that weapon, stuff for future replays, etc...

The only thing I hoped for was some sort of achievement/special mission for those who go the paragon and renegade route equally.  Something like "unpredictable".

Nice I didn't know that.  Thanks man!
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #429 on: December 14, 2007, 10:30:05 AM »

Peter Moore joining EA is part of a bigger plot for MS to control EA  ninja

Heh, that'd explain the crappy ports, even though there's other games that EA ported just fine.  Tongue

But nah, it's not that complex.  I think it's more that MS already had a deal with Bioware that they'd get first right of refusal on publishing any Mass Effect sequels.  Considering how ME has done, they'd want to make sure they publish it to prevent a PS3 version from ever coming out.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #430 on: December 14, 2007, 02:59:07 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on December 14, 2007, 10:30:05 AM

But nah, it's not that complex.  I think it's more that MS already had a deal with Bioware that they'd get first right of refusal on publishing any Mass Effect sequels.  Considering how ME has done, they'd want to make sure they publish it to prevent a PS3 version from ever coming out.

It's a bit more complex than that though.  Yeah, MS has first right of refusal but they can't mandate that sequels are made.  If EA feels that they will get more money by having Bioware work on a new IP (that EA obviously publishes) than whatever kickback they would get from a MS published Mass Effect sequel then they can just have Bioware not make ME2.  So MS has to throw EA a bone here.

My guess is that EA publishes ME2&3 but they remain Xbox 360 exclusive. 
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #431 on: December 14, 2007, 03:30:18 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on December 14, 2007, 02:59:07 PM

Quote from: Turtle on December 14, 2007, 10:30:05 AM

It's a bit more complex than that though.  Yeah, MS has first right of refusal but they can't mandate that sequels are made.  If EA feels that they will get more money by having Bioware work on a new IP (that EA obviously publishes) than whatever kickback they would get from a MS published Mass Effect sequel then they can just have Bioware not make ME2.  So MS has to throw EA a bone here.

My guess is that EA publishes ME2&3 but they remain Xbox 360 exclusive. 

I agree completely-maybe a co-publish even-although that game daily article sounds reasonable.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #432 on: December 14, 2007, 03:32:59 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on December 14, 2007, 08:21:54 AM

Quote from: Turtle on December 09, 2007, 09:12:07 PM

Nice I didn't know that.  Thanks man!

Even though one of the only reasons I went with Soldier was the AR, I continue to be disappointed with it even fully maxed out. I am dabbling with pistol and shotgun now, but not sure how many points I want to sink into them.
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #433 on: December 14, 2007, 07:25:24 PM »

Yeah I keep waiting for the Assault Rifle to start kicking ass...its not happening.  Sniper Rifle for long range and pistol for everything else seem to be the way to go.  Shotgun for CQ is nice but the weapon switching takes a little while and I'd rather just pop them with the pistol before they get that close.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #434 on: December 14, 2007, 08:06:28 PM »

Quote from: olaf on December 14, 2007, 07:25:24 PM

Yeah I keep waiting for the Assault Rifle to start kicking ass...its not happening.  Sniper Rifle for long range and pistol for everything else seem to be the way to go.  Shotgun for CQ is nice but the weapon switching takes a little while and I'd rather just pop them with the pistol before they get that close.

Yeah. In retrospect I COMPLETELY regret going soldier, and this is after spending the better part of a week building two characters and trying to decide what to do-because he is just plain boring and ordinary and the draw of the AR wasn't much of a draw. Unfortunately I don't have any time now to even think about going backwards to the old character now-don't get me wrong, the soldier is still very fun and I enjoy the combat, it's just that I enjoy using my teammates powers more than shooting my pea-shooting AR.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #435 on: December 14, 2007, 08:39:04 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on December 14, 2007, 08:06:28 PM

...it's just that I enjoy using my teammates powers more than shooting my pea-shooting AR.

A pee-shooting AR would be a lot more fun! Talk about your "messy kills". smile

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #436 on: December 14, 2007, 10:38:06 PM »

it would have been fun if they had put in rag doll physics for when you kill enemies.  imagine sniping someone on a low g planet   icon_twisted

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #437 on: April 10, 2008, 03:34:26 PM »

OK, so last night I grabbed the DLC (I had 400 points that have been sitting around forever and heard the DLC will not be included in the PC version but would be available seperately at some point) and started a new game.  For giggles I decided to use my old career for the new game, and was surprised to see it start everyone off at level 50 but it seems like the game doesn't up the difficulty or give you an option to change it before starting, so I'm not seeing the benefit of them letting you replay using your old character unless you just want to breeze through the game.  Am I missing something?

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #438 on: April 10, 2008, 03:41:31 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on December 06, 2007, 06:34:25 PM

Completed the game last night.  Hot damn what a great ride.  Full of issues and glitches?  You betcha!  Best game I've played in a long while?  No doubt.

Feel free to send me a PM with trade info; I could go for some Mass Effect. biggrin

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #439 on: April 10, 2008, 03:43:09 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 10, 2008, 03:34:26 PM

OK, so last night I grabbed the DLC (I had 400 points that have been sitting around forever and heard the DLC will not be included in the PC version but would be available seperately at some point) and started a new game.  For giggles I decided to use my old career for the new game, and was surprised to see it start everyone off at level 50 but it seems like the game doesn't up the difficulty or give you an option to change it before starting, so I'm not seeing the benefit of them letting you replay using your old character unless you just want to breeze through the game.  Am I missing something?

I noticed how easily I breezed through Eden Prime on my second play through also. I kinda like going back and butchering enemies that gave me lots of problems the first time through, though. biggrin
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: