http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 01:51:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mass Effect Impressions  (Read 34696 times)
leo8877
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: November 27, 2007, 07:28:58 PM »

So there should have been a "paranoid" achivement for this game.  I am 16 hours in and over 150 saves.   paranoid
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: November 27, 2007, 08:00:49 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 27, 2007, 07:28:58 PM

So there should have been a "paranoid" achivement for this game.  I am 16 hours in and over 150 saves.   paranoid

rofl, i thought i was bad. radar with red, OMG SAVENOW!!! of course every time i do save, i don't die and the opposite is true.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #282 on: November 27, 2007, 08:06:32 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on November 27, 2007, 08:00:49 PM

Quote from: leo8877 on November 27, 2007, 07:28:58 PM

rofl, i thought i was bad. radar with red, OMG SAVENOW!!! of course every time i do save, i don't die and the opposite is true.

Wow. I ended up at 39.5 hours with 137 manual saves. I thought I saved too much.  smile

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: November 27, 2007, 08:19:09 PM »

I'm somewhere around 250 saves Tongue  At the beginning of the game I would pretty much save before every hack so I didn't have to use omni gel.  I don't do that anymore though. 
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: November 27, 2007, 08:23:25 PM »

Wow guys, I'm 25 hours in and maybe 20 saves. smile

On another note....I've found that I've put my self into a position that I wish there was a more difficult setting in the first playthrough. Once you are at around level 30, well equipped and have a balanced squad, the combat is over too quickly.

I play a soldier, with Liara and Garrus as my main squadmembers. It's a combo that works really well for most situations.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: November 27, 2007, 08:40:03 PM »

So with regards to saves are there only like 10 or 12 slots? Because I don't get the option for a new save anymore.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: November 27, 2007, 08:43:32 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on November 27, 2007, 08:40:03 PM

So with regards to saves are there only like 10 or 12 slots? Because I don't get the option for a new save anymore.

Yeah.  I just go to the bottom of the list each manual save now.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: November 27, 2007, 09:00:07 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 27, 2007, 08:43:32 PM

Quote from: Calvin on November 27, 2007, 08:40:03 PM

Yeah.  I just go to the bottom of the list each manual save now.

Ah damn. Ok thanks man.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: November 27, 2007, 09:20:04 PM »

Kevin Grey - earlier you mentioned that you must hit 1 mil credits...was that for an achievement or because of something else?
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #289 on: November 27, 2007, 09:21:54 PM »

Quote from: Booner on November 27, 2007, 08:23:25 PM

On another note....I've found that I've put my self into a position that I wish there was a more difficult setting in the first playthrough. Once you are at around level 30, well equipped and have a balanced squad, the combat is over too quickly.

I thought you could bump it up via the Options menu at any time. Hardened/Insane are locked at the beginning, but I thought there was a Veteran mode or something right off...

And the 1 million credit thing - Yes and yes. Just make sure you visit the Spectre Quartermaster (downstairs at C-Sec) as well as the one on the Normandy once you've hit it. The Spectre one especially. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: November 27, 2007, 09:23:31 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on November 27, 2007, 09:21:54 PM

I thought you could bump it up via the Options menu at any time. Hardened/Insane are locked at the beginning, but I thought there was a Veteran mode or something right off...

And the 1 million credit thing - Yes and yes. Just make sure you visit the Spectre Quartermaster (downstairs at C-Sec) as well as the one on the Normandy once you've hit it. The Spectre one especially. biggrin

Ah ok I thought that's what it was.  I visited the Normandy guy, I see it's time to go back to the Citadel!!
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: November 27, 2007, 09:44:43 PM »

I have a spoiler-ish question about game length.... 
Spoiler for Hiden:
I see there are 3 achievements for completing certain worlds.  I did Feros and Virmire and there's just Novaria left to do.  However, my way zoomed out galaxy is 3/4 empty....are there more worlds that will show up?
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: November 27, 2007, 09:52:34 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on November 24, 2007, 01:59:17 PM

Quote from: Jarrodhk on November 24, 2007, 07:44:42 AM

Was reading about the game and found out that certain of the achievements unlock special things for subsequent playthroughs of the game.  That is cool.

Care to list them all and what you need to do to get them?

Actually if you checked you Achievement via the Mass Effect menu it will tell you

Example I unlocked the Barrier, Lift, Warp, Pistol and Shotgun for all my new toons.  I forget the name of the Achievement, but if you check they are there

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: November 27, 2007, 10:11:57 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 27, 2007, 08:19:09 PM

I'm somewhere around 250 saves Tongue  At the beginning of the game I would pretty much save before every hack so I didn't have to use omni gel.  I don't do that anymore though. 

wow,i finished the game on 33hrs and had 47 saves.

looking forward to the DLC,this time around it should be better then the DLC you got for KOTOR(that space station,with one guy on board)

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: November 27, 2007, 10:57:04 PM »

There is...and I am, with the aim assist off, but I want more punishment. smile
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: November 27, 2007, 11:26:26 PM »

Quote from: Booner on November 27, 2007, 10:57:04 PM

There is...and I am, with the aim assist off, but I want more punishment. smile

Unfortunately on 1st play through that's as hard as you can set it.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 11:32:28 PM by kronovan » Logged
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #296 on: November 28, 2007, 12:50:39 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 27, 2007, 09:44:43 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
I see there are 3 achievements for completing certain worlds.  I did Feros and Virmire and there's just Novaria left to do.  However, my way zoomed out galaxy is 3/4 empty....are there more worlds that will show up?

Spoiler for Hiden:
From my time doing all the secondary quests...there's exactly ONE more galaxy destination that'll open up. That's it. So yes, the galaxy is that empty. However...pretty much every galaxy has multiple solar systems inside of it, and there's normally a planet you can land to do things on on every single one of them.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: November 28, 2007, 12:59:39 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on November 28, 2007, 12:50:39 AM

Quote from: leo8877 on November 27, 2007, 09:44:43 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:
From my time doing all the secondary quests...there's exactly ONE more galaxy destination that'll open up. That's it. So yes, the galaxy is that empty. However...pretty much every galaxy has multiple solar systems inside of it, and there's normally a planet you can land to do things on on every single one of them.

Also, leo if you are asking if there is more than one world from where you are the answer is yes. 
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: November 28, 2007, 04:40:48 AM »

Thanks guys.  I've been going to every galaxy and surveying each planet and landing on all the ones I can. 
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: November 28, 2007, 05:49:42 AM »

leo, if that's the case, then make sure you do all of the sidequesting you want to accomplish before going to:

Spoiler tagging just in case but it doesn't mean anything out of context:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Illos

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #300 on: November 28, 2007, 01:50:10 PM »

Quote from: Starshifter on November 21, 2007, 01:35:55 PM

At least in games, for the most part, the women can't rip your heart out like in real life and if they start to do it's just a simple press of the power button and their gone.   nod

Everytime I hear "Solitary Man" by Neil Diamond, I think of you Shifty. biggrin

Spoiler for Werdz to love by...:
Melinda was mine
til the time
That I found her
Holding Jim
Loving him

Then Sue came along
Loved me strong
That's what I thought
Me and Sue
But that died too

Dont know that I will
But until I can find me
A girl who'll stay
And wont play games behind me
I'll be what I am
A solitary man
Solitary man

I've had it to here
Bein where
Loves a small world
Part-time thing
Paper ring

I know its been done
Having one
Girl who'll love me
Right or wrong
Weak or strong

Don't know that I will
But until I can find me
The girl who'll stay
And wont play games behind me
Ill be what I am
A solitary man
Solitary man

biggrin Oh, and I still haven't picked up ME yet... I'm into AC like crazy and and am being all completist right now. The only thing I'm not doing is the goddamned Agility Orb hunt (Jerusalem style).

I can only imagine how much time I'm going waste hitting every goddamned planet in the multiverse. frown
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 01:52:07 PM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: November 28, 2007, 03:52:13 PM »

am I missing it, or does the galaxy map let you know what planets you've visited (whether to land or survey) in a system without having to go back to them and finding nothing to do?

I got into an extended firefight with some pirates last night.  both sides had pretty good cover and armament and it finally boiled down to me making a suicidal pistol charge into the main room and taking out a bunch of them Jack Bauer style., only to find out that the treasure they were guarding was in 'Hard Encryption' lockers which I couldn't open (yet)  mad  I miss the KotOR method of switching between characters and using their skills instead of being stuck having to balance out everything on one character- it made me feel a greater attachment to my party members.  Do other characters non-combat skills automatically roll over to everyone in the party?  I'm guessing they do, otherwise some of the skills would be useless for your NPC's to have.

I had a better time with the Mako too, but it still feels like they should have made it handle heavier, and made the controls so that whenever you press forward it would move the Mako in whatver ever direction it's forward bow was pointing instead of it moving it forward depending on what direction the camera was facing.  a couple of times I ended up moving in the wrong direction becaue I'd swing the camera around to see what was going on behind me while holding down the thumbstick to go forward, and I'd end up going in reverse back the way I came.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: November 28, 2007, 03:53:26 PM »

Ceekay I never found anything that told me that I've visited a galaxy.  I was hoping for a visual notifier as well.
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: November 28, 2007, 04:00:50 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 28, 2007, 03:52:13 PM

Do other characters non-combat skills automatically roll over to everyone in the party?  I'm guessing they do, otherwise some of the skills would be useless for your NPC's to have.

Yep, they do.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: November 28, 2007, 04:05:03 PM »

Quote from: Booner on November 28, 2007, 04:00:50 PM

Do other characters non-combat skills automatically roll over to everyone in the party?  I'm guessing they do, otherwise some of the skills would be useless for your NPC's to have.

Yep, they do.

cool.  now I only need to figure out which one has the highest encryption and go back to that planet.

Because I can,
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: November 28, 2007, 04:05:19 PM »

I miss the KotOR method of switching between characters and using their skills instead of being stuck having to balance out everything on one character- it made me feel a greater attachment to my party members.  Do other characters non-combat skills automatically roll over to everyone in the party?  I'm guessing they do, otherwise some of the skills would be useless for your NPC's to have.

Yes, passive abilities like first aid and decrypting are based on your total party level in that skill.  So to decrypt a "hard" lock you either have to have one person with a high enough decrypt skill for hard locks or enough total skill across all three characters to decode hard locks.  So if you don't want to personally gain those skills then just make sure you have a strong tech person in your party anyway (which you should for good party balance anyway since the combat aspect of those skills are extremely powerful). 

Re: the galaxy map- yeah, I hope something they can put in the sequel is a way of letting you know if you have been somewhere or not.  Personally I was methodical about scanning all planets before leaving a cluster.  If you forget if you've been there later then a sure sign is if you don't get an option to survey *any* planets then you've been through there. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: November 28, 2007, 04:12:35 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 28, 2007, 04:05:19 PM

I miss the KotOR method of switching between characters and using their skills instead of being stuck having to balance out everything on one character- it made me feel a greater attachment to my party members.  Do other characters non-combat skills automatically roll over to everyone in the party?  I'm guessing they do, otherwise some of the skills would be useless for your NPC's to have.

Yes, passive abilities like first aid and decrypting are based on your total party level in that skill.  So to decrypt a "hard" lock you either have to have one person with a high enough decrypt skill for hard locks or enough total skill across all three characters to decode hard locks.  So if you don't want to personally gain those skills then just make sure you have a strong tech person in your party anyway (which you should for good party balance anyway since the combat aspect of those skills are extremely powerful). 

there must be some conversion when adding everything to the pull because between my PC and Tali I should have had enough to do hard decryptions but it wouldn't let me.  If I remember correctly both of them have it up to at least 'average' and 'hard' is only 3 or 4 blocks away from that.  maybe it was just a hiccup in the game.

Because I can,
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: November 28, 2007, 04:18:42 PM »

Hmm, maybe you're right.  I know that First Aid is an additive effect so I assumed that decrypt was but maybe it takes the highest out of your squad. 
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #308 on: November 28, 2007, 05:49:02 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 28, 2007, 04:18:42 PM

Hmm, maybe you're right.  I know that First Aid is an additive effect so I assumed that decrypt was but maybe it takes the highest out of your squad. 

I think that's how it works. However, according to other posts, things like Decrypt do add to a point - it'll reduce the button press minigame. But you have to have X skill with somebody in order to open the thing in the first place. Why I was happy with my class - I had both skills, so once they were up high enough I never had a problem.

Powers like First Aid and how much the Mako gets 'healed' do stack completely though.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: November 28, 2007, 06:26:41 PM »

Yeah, I was played an Infiiltrator so I had them maxed too.

I have to say that I love how Bioware combined normal passive non-fighting skills like hacking and electronics into the same skillset as combat oriented skills.  Makes it so you don't feel like you are waisting skill points by spending them there. 
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #310 on: November 28, 2007, 07:48:15 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 28, 2007, 06:26:41 PM

I have to say that I love how Bioware combined normal passive non-fighting skills like hacking and electronics into the same skillset as combat oriented skills.  Makes it so you don't feel like you are waisting skill points by spending them there. 

Agreed. And the one that caused weapon overheating (I think it was Encrypt) is quite powerful.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 07:50:43 PM by Destructor » Logged

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: November 28, 2007, 09:15:26 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 28, 2007, 06:26:41 PM

Yeah, I was played an Infiiltrator so I had them maxed too.

Yeah I think it's fantastic as well. I finally went up and played all the way through the Citadel with an infiltrator as well as my soldier, and it was just a ton of fun-but I am going to stick with my soldier for now-my next play through is likely to be an infiltrator or sentinel or something-the tech powers in this game, while limited, are a ton of fun!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: November 28, 2007, 11:05:56 PM »

I'm playing an Infiltrator right now and have yet to feel all that stealthy/infiltratie.  I'm more likely to use my pistols than my sniper rifle.

Because I can,
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #313 on: November 28, 2007, 11:07:13 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 28, 2007, 11:05:56 PM

I'm playing an Infiltrator right now and have yet to feel all that stealthy/infiltratie.  I'm more likely to use my pistols than my sniper rifle.

Yeah, it just sorta happens that way. You don't exactly have access to any silenced weapons. But...just wait until you get to snipe people from 100+ meters away outside. Then you'll feel like one. biggrin

kathode

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: November 28, 2007, 11:09:15 PM »

Yeah there are a couple people here who are playing Infiltrators, and they say it kind of sucks until you're able to pump enough points into snipes to get the "steady gun" ability.  Then it's all kinds of fun.  I went straight-up soldier but I'll probably play it again to do the douchebag Renegade route.  Thinking I'll do the biotic path next time.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: November 28, 2007, 11:13:22 PM »

Quote from: kathode on November 28, 2007, 11:09:15 PM

Yeah there are a couple people here who are playing Infiltrators, and they say it kind of sucks until you're able to pump enough points into snipes to get the "steady gun" ability.  Then it's all kinds of fun.  I went straight-up soldier but I'll probably play it again to do the douchebag Renegade route.  Thinking I'll do the biotic path next time.

Well, I got my Infiltrator all the way through the Citadel again, and its an absolute blast. I am having an easier time with him than my Soldier to this point-I pwn nubs with overload/sabotage, the pistol is 10x more accurate than my assault rifle (and powerful), and I haven't even worried with my sniper rifle yet. My health is quite weak, and thats not good, but i am going to put some points in damping so that I get the easy shield boost I think.

I intend to replay the game as well for the douchey renegade stuff (and other completionist stuff), but I just cant decide which character I want to play more with now. I have done quite a bit more with my soldier, but frankly, he is just nowhere near as fun. Ho-hum, heavy armor and an awful assault rifle.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: November 29, 2007, 01:28:26 AM »

I went straight-up soldier but I'll probably play it again to do the douchebag Renegade route.  Thinking I'll do the biotic path next time.

I'm doing the ruthless bitch route myself, but so far there hasn't been alot of 'ruthless' choices.

Because I can,
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: November 29, 2007, 01:31:33 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 29, 2007, 01:28:26 AM

I went straight-up soldier but I'll probably play it again to do the douchebag Renegade route.  Thinking I'll do the biotic path next time.

I'm doing the ruthless bitch route myself, but so far there hasn't been alot of 'ruthless' choices.

How far are you?  For the most part I think the game does ruthless pretty well.  Which isn't to be confused with evil because the game really doesn't allow you to be flat out evil. 
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: November 29, 2007, 01:32:15 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on November 28, 2007, 11:13:22 PM

I intend to replay the game as well for the douchey renegade stuff (and other completionist stuff), but I just cant decide which character I want to play more with now. I have done quite a bit more with my soldier, but frankly, he is just nowhere near as fun. Ho-hum, heavy armor and an awful assault rifle.

The assault rifle and the shotgun get retarded powerful as you pump points in them and you get better equipment.  Also, the assault rifle is best used when crouched, and not moving, especially when in heavy armor.  Makes a huge difference as you put more rounds on the enemy.

Spoiler for Hiden:
The fight with Benezia that Kathode had problems with?  I used my shotgun with Carnage, and killed her in 2 shots.  Took all of 4 seconds or so.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: November 29, 2007, 08:34:07 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 29, 2007, 01:31:33 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on November 29, 2007, 01:28:26 AM

How far are you?  For the most part I think the game does ruthless pretty well.  Which isn't to be confused with evil because the game really doesn't allow you to be flat out evil. 

I'm about 10 hours in.  I haven't done alot of the main quest, mostly side quests.  I did get one interesting choice with a weapons dealer tonight that was pretty cool.

Because I can,
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: