http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 10:15:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mass Effect Impressions  (Read 36892 times)
mikeg
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #240 on: November 23, 2007, 07:52:16 PM »

By the way, this coupon works at Best Buy.

http://emailinfo.bestbuy.com/pp/editor_NET/v3/CampaignWrapper.aspx?E=8914;240232;1158658756;1;02&R=T1_CMP_8905&A=1007&ci=9017

It is $10 off anything $29.99 or higher.  With it you can grab Mass Effect for $49.99.  Not bad.  I used it this morning on something, so, I know it is legit.

Not really Mass Effect related, but just wanted everyone who wants it at a decent price to know about this.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: November 23, 2007, 07:56:46 PM »

the art of mass effect book,actually came along with the mass effect guide by Prima guides,it has nothing to do with the limited edition of mass effect,so perhaps it would be available in the states

EDIT:for anyone interested,here you go

http://www.primagames.com/catalog/display.pperl?isbn=9780761556237

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
gilgamex
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: November 23, 2007, 11:11:43 PM »

Having put in about 15 hours now (I think I am almost finished), I have to say that I love this game. Please bear in mind that I rank KOTOR as one of my top 3 games of all times, so I think it's fair to say that I am a fan of Bioware-style plot driven RPGs.

As far as Matt Peckham's 60/100 score goes...

That guy is an idiot. I have never liked his writing style. He writes in the most pretentious tones and rarely even makes any valid points. With his heinous NWN2 review and now this, it's obvious that the guy just "doesn't get" Bioware RPGs. I am so glad that I do not see his reviews in CGW/GFW anymore. If you can manage to actually make it through his review of Mass Effect, it becomes quite clear that he likes his Halo. Which makes the score clear as day to me.

Is Mass Effect GOTY? I don't know. I will have to see how I feel after I have finished it, but I definitely put it up as one of the strongest contenders. I already am planning my character for my second run through. Very rarely do I want to play a game directly after finishing it. I have only done it twice (KOTOR and Bioshock). I personally love shooters and RPGs, this has both AND a great story.

And I have GOT to get that Mass Effect art book. Whoever made that Syd Mead reference is spot on.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #243 on: November 23, 2007, 11:57:58 PM »

Quote from: gilgamex on November 23, 2007, 11:11:43 PM

Having put in about 15 hours now (I think I am almost finished), I have to say that I love this game.

15 hours and you think you've finished it? I'm at 22 and have barely started. But I'm also loving every minute of it, so heck with how long it's taking me.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: November 24, 2007, 12:16:33 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on November 23, 2007, 11:39:35 AM

icon_eek

I must have that book...

The cover reminds me of Syd Mead's work, I wonder if he was contracted to the concept art at some point.

That image reminds me a lot of Ralph McQuarrie's work on the original Star Wars trilogy. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: November 24, 2007, 01:08:11 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 24, 2007, 12:16:33 AM

icon_eek

I must have that book...

The cover reminds me of Syd Mead's work, I wonder if he was contracted to the concept art at some point.

That image reminds me a lot of Ralph McQuarrie's work on the original Star Wars trilogy. 

that's what I was thinking but I couldn't put my finger on where it was from.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: November 24, 2007, 01:39:15 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 24, 2007, 01:08:11 AM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 24, 2007, 12:16:33 AM

icon_eek

I must have that book...

Totally what I was thinking-that early concept of Luke on the sand dunes of Tatooine.

that's what I was thinking but I couldn't put my finger on where it was from.
gilgamex
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: November 24, 2007, 02:24:53 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on November 23, 2007, 11:57:58 PM

Having put in about 15 hours now (I think I am almost finished), I have to say that I love this game.

15 hours and you think you've finished it? I'm at 22 and have barely started. But I'm also loving every minute of it, so heck with how long it's taking me.

Well... I think plot-wise I am getting darn close. I think I will be having wiggly alien lesbian sex anytime now!  eek
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: November 24, 2007, 07:44:42 AM »

Was reading about the game and found out that certain of the achievements unlock special things for subsequent playthroughs of the game.  That is cool.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: November 24, 2007, 11:09:01 AM »

The hype meter was sky high with this game for so long.
Too bad. I hate hype. It's a lose lose situation when hype runs rampant.

Nothing, and nobody can live up to unrealistic hype.

Too bad game makers feel the need to start whetting the appetite of customers months and sometimes years before the game is actually released.

I find the game well done in most areas. But it doesn't even come close to the Nirvana like hype that was put out for months.

Too bad most reviewers will be reviewing this game with a bias thats comes from way too much hype..
« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 03:10:40 PM by Arclight » Logged

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #250 on: November 24, 2007, 01:59:17 PM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on November 24, 2007, 07:44:42 AM

Was reading about the game and found out that certain of the achievements unlock special things for subsequent playthroughs of the game.  That is cool.

Care to list them all and what you need to do to get them?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: November 24, 2007, 02:09:19 PM »

Didn't see a list... just a couple that were mentioned by people on QT3.  If you get the shotgun achievement it is supposed to unlock the shotgun skill for all classes on subsequent runs, and the achievement that requires having a million credits (I think) opens up a bunch of high powered items in the ship's requisition shop.

I didn't do a lot of searching on it, just saw it mentioned in passing.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: November 24, 2007, 03:25:57 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on November 24, 2007, 11:09:01 AM

I find the game well done in most areas. But it doesn't even come close to the Nirvana like hype that was put out for months.

Too bad most reviewers will be reviewing this game with a bias thats comes from way too much hype..

20 hours in and I have to say that it lives up to the hype for me.  I agree with the reviews in the 9+ range. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: November 24, 2007, 06:04:02 PM »

Quote from: gilgamex on November 24, 2007, 02:24:53 AM

Quote from: Destructor on November 23, 2007, 11:57:58 PM

Well... I think plot-wise I am getting darn close. I think I will be having wiggly alien lesbian sex anytime now!  eek

I got that before I left the Presidium the first time  Tongue

Because I can,
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: November 24, 2007, 06:51:13 PM »

All of the family has left town and today is my big day to play (well after the big rivalry game). Cannot wait!!
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: November 24, 2007, 07:14:46 PM »

Hey guys I have a question in Feros...

Spoiler for Hiden:
I just killed a bunch of Krogans and retreived the guy's data on the OSD.  I now see an orange X on my map but I can't get anywhere.  All the areas I can walk to are enclosed and it appears I can go no further.  Did something bug out and I can't continue?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: November 25, 2007, 12:44:35 AM »

so, they are sending you on this important mission to do important stuff, but do they give you decent equipment?  nnnnoooooooooo.  Roll Eyes

Because I can,
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #257 on: November 25, 2007, 12:48:45 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 25, 2007, 12:44:35 AM

so, they are sending you on this important mission to do important stuff, but do they give you decent equipment?  nnnnoooooooooo.  Roll Eyes

At least the Quartermaster has a halfway decent reason as to why he makes you buy all of his stuff. biggrin

Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: November 25, 2007, 07:24:37 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 24, 2007, 07:14:46 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
I just killed a bunch of Krogans and retreived the guy's data on the OSD.  I now see an orange X on my map but I can't get anywhere.  All the areas I can walk to are enclosed and it appears I can go no further.  Did something bug out and I can't continue?

Not sure about that. But I landed on a planet and cleared it and wanted to get back to the Normandy. There was nothing I could do to get back. Totally bugged. I had to re-load a save 2 hours back. It hasn't happened since, but I wont get caught with my nearest save being that far back again.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: November 25, 2007, 07:28:45 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on November 25, 2007, 07:24:37 PM

Quote from: leo8877 on November 24, 2007, 07:14:46 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

Not sure about that. But I landed on a planet and cleared it and wanted to get back to the Normandy. There was nothing I could do to get back. Totally bugged. I had to re-load a save 2 hours back. It hasn't happened since, but I wont get caught with my nearest save being that far back again.

It ended up being that the stairway was so dark I didn't see it at first.  When I finally came back to that particular room, I used the map and found there was a dark stairway there.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: November 26, 2007, 06:51:13 AM »

alright, AC is done, time to devote some loving towards ME, Jack Bauer Renegade Style!!!

Because I can,
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #261 on: November 26, 2007, 01:39:28 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 26, 2007, 06:51:13 AM

alright, AC is done, time to devote some loving towards ME, Jack Bauer Renegade Style!!!

Make sure you tell us how the story runs - I'm too busy being a goody-two-shoes. smile

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: November 26, 2007, 02:17:54 PM »

Yeah, so  I'm just a wee bit overleveled for where I am (Ferros and I'm at Level 38).  Heck I bumped the difficulty up to Veteran just to try and get a bit of challenge but it's still a cakewalk now. 
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: November 26, 2007, 02:30:03 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 26, 2007, 02:17:54 PM

Yeah, so  I'm just a wee bit overleveled for where I am (Ferros and I'm at Level 38).  Heck I bumped the difficulty up to Veteran just to try and get a bit of challenge but it's still a cakewalk now. 

I'm about level 30 on Noveria and other than the final boss fight it really has been a cake walk. If you haven't made it to the final boss on Ferros yet, you might want to turn the difficulty back to normal when you do. That was a very nasty fight for me, but then again Ferros was the 1st main quest world I explored.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: November 26, 2007, 02:34:19 PM »

Already finished Ferros.  That boss battle seems to be the most difficult in the game based on what I'm seeing on various forums though I didn't think it was so bad (admittedly I was still on Normal at that point).  The key was:

Spoiler for Hiden:
  Running to the side of the arena where the Matriarch couldn't attack.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: November 26, 2007, 03:18:30 PM »

doesn't it feel good to be a bad ass though?  Tongue

Because I can,
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: November 26, 2007, 03:26:03 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 26, 2007, 03:18:30 PM

doesn't it feel good to be a bad ass though?  Tongue

Actually, it kind of does icon_wink
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: November 26, 2007, 05:38:32 PM »

Had the same thing happen to me. I entered the main quest as 33+, and have been pretty much breezing through. That said, my vanguard is pistol-whipping everyone in the face right now, so I'm feeling quite badass. It is a nice feeling.  icon_twisted

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: November 27, 2007, 05:37:21 AM »

w00t!!!  I'm an Agent of Specter  icon_wink  now if only those annoying texture pop-ups don't ruin my enjoyment.

Oh, and is anyone having an issue where the text on the conversation 'wheel' is almost displaying text below the bottom of the screen?

Because I can,
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #269 on: November 27, 2007, 05:58:29 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 27, 2007, 05:37:21 AM

Oh, and is anyone having an issue where the text on the conversation 'wheel' is almost displaying text below the bottom of the screen?

Sound like an issue that your TV is overscanning a few too many lines, and things are being cut off on the bottom as a result.

And I just finished the game with the last save game being autosaved at 39:31. And it wasn't all wasted time, as I got the Achievement that said that I'd completed most of the game not too far from the end.

Now to find the time to play through it again...

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: November 27, 2007, 03:01:14 PM »

Played this a little last night.  Did the first planet and was very impressed with the visual style of the game.  Everything looks so gritty and I really like it.  Had the game lock up on me once during a conversation, right after I had loaded a saved game.  I don't get a feeling yet that the conversation tree much matters, with regards to what you pick, but it could be that either it truly doesn't matter in the beginning or the game doesn't make you very aware.  The sniper rifle is fairly hard for me to control, but I imagine that is on purpose (I picked the gun/hacker hybrid).  Also, I am having a hard time telling how many omni-gels I have and how many are required for something.  I came to some door and failed the hack (wasn't sure what I was supposed to be doing at the time) and then it said I didn't have enough.  I converted some weapons into gels, but I still didn't have enough.  I need to figure out how you tell how many you need.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: November 27, 2007, 03:17:16 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on November 27, 2007, 05:58:29 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on November 27, 2007, 05:37:21 AM

Sound like an issue that your TV is overscanning a few too many lines, and things are being cut off on the bottom as a result.

well crud.  I tried finding any info on that last night with no luck.  maybe it's time for a new set.

anyways, I got my first taste of the Mako last night, and I can't say I'm overly fond of it.  I ended up fighting a giant worm and it pretty much boiled down to driving in circles and occassionally shooting at it for 10 minutes.  The vehicle controls like it weighs next to nothing.

I also got a heavy BSG vibe from Tali's race  icon_wink

Because I can,
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #272 on: November 27, 2007, 03:27:58 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 27, 2007, 03:17:16 PM

anyways, I got my first taste of the Mako last night, and I can't say I'm overly fond of it.  I ended up fighting a giant worm and it pretty much boiled down to driving in circles and occassionally shooting at it for 10 minutes.  The vehicle controls like it weighs next to nothing.

You did use the cannon (RB) in addition to the machine gun (RT), right? Also, keep in mind that unless you're in a sniper cam in the Mako (push Right Analog while holding Left Trigger) the turret can't keep up with you driving around in circles, or quickly at all. Just move slowly against those opponents and stay the holy heck out of melee range, even if they don't turn towards you when they fire (as it's a visual glitch).

Grue - the game does a VERY poor job with the 'tutorial' area in the beginning. But generally you'll need anywhere from 15 to 25 (depending on difficulty) Omni-gels to open doors if you fail the unlock mini-game, and 15 to fix up the Mako. But to play the open door mini-game, you basically play Simon Says. Push the button as it comes up. You only have a second to push each button, so make it quick.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: November 27, 2007, 03:33:42 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on November 27, 2007, 03:27:58 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on November 27, 2007, 03:17:16 PM

You did use the cannon (RB) in addition to the machine gun (RT), right? Also, keep in mind that unless you're in a sniper cam in the Mako (push Right Analog while holding Left Trigger) the turret can't keep up with you driving around in circles, or quickly at all. Just move slowly against those opponents and stay the holy heck out of melee range, even if they don't turn towards you when they fire (as it's a visual glitch).

yeah, I figured out the cannon and jump jets, the combat just seemed to take forever.

But to play the open door mini-game, you basically play Simon Says. Push the button as it comes up. You only have a second to push each button, so make it quick.

too bad your electronics or encryption skills don't seem to give you any advantage for that mini-game.

Because I can,
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: November 27, 2007, 04:35:13 PM »

The first worm I fought was in the vehicle and it was as lame as you described.  The second one I got out and fought on foot and it died about 10x faster.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #275 on: November 27, 2007, 04:50:59 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 27, 2007, 04:35:13 PM

The first worm I fought was in the vehicle and it was as lame as you described.  The second one I got out and fought on foot and it died about 10x faster.

Uh...how's that possible? Your hand weapons are NOTHING compared to the guns on the Mako.

Quote from: CeeKay on November 27, 2007, 03:33:42 PM

too bad your electronics or encryption skills don't seem to give you any advantage for that mini-game.

Actually, they do. A higher skill tends to make it so you have to push fewer buttons to 'win'. And the skills your teammates have all stack with yours. Beyond that, no, they give no benefit short of being able to open harder locks.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: November 27, 2007, 04:54:15 PM »

Maybe it was a smaller worm?  A Maw Thrasher?  I found one by a distress beacon, got out of the Mako, and owned it.  I don't know either, but I was wondering why I didn't try this the first time.  I figured my upgrades had something to do with it.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: November 27, 2007, 05:26:22 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 27, 2007, 04:54:15 PM

Maybe it was a smaller worm?  A Maw Thrasher?  I found one by a distress beacon, got out of the Mako, and owned it.  I don't know either, but I was wondering why I didn't try this the first time.  I figured my upgrades had something to do with it.

that's the situation where I encountered the worm.  there were a bunch of dead marines lying around and I got a quest to inform the Rear Admiral about finding them.

Because I can,
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: November 27, 2007, 05:36:43 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 27, 2007, 05:26:22 PM

Quote from: leo8877 on November 27, 2007, 04:54:15 PM

that's the situation where I encountered the worm.  there were a bunch of dead marines lying around and I got a quest to inform the Rear Admiral about finding them.

Yeah that was the second one I came across.  I got out of my vehicle and destroyed that one.  The first one I found ambushed me after I recovered some downed satellite.  It looked exactly the same as the one you listed above.

I also started fighting the real big Geth outside of my vehicle since I can take them down just as fast on foot.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #279 on: November 27, 2007, 07:01:20 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 27, 2007, 05:36:43 PM

I also started fighting the real big Geth outside of my vehicle since I can take them down just as fast on foot.

You get more experience that way anyway (as it's actually a challenge compared to mowing them down with your main gun), so it's a good idea.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: