http://gamingtrend.com
September 17, 2014, 03:54:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mass Effect Impressions  (Read 34914 times)
nymanium
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 18, 2007, 06:04:21 AM »

Money is a problem, early on you don't have enough later on you have too much with nothing to buy. Elevators are driving me nuts, The whole reason I have inventory problems is I don't feel like taking the slow elevator in your ship down to sell after every mission.
mikeg
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: November 18, 2007, 06:50:29 PM »

Just finished the game.  I only did two side quests, so, pretty much followed the main storyline.  I played on normal difficulty for the first 60 percent and found it just a tad too hard for me.  So, I switched to Casual for the rest and while the game flowed better (not having to replay key battles over and over and over and over) I found it too be a tad too easy.  So, there really wasn't the sweet spot I was looking for.  But I must say on Casual it does make you feel a bit more like the bad ass you are supposed to be. 

Total playing time was between 13 and 14 hours.  I imagine if I had been on Casual the whole time it would have taken an hour or so less.  If I had did all the side quests, who knows?

Anyways, the story ramps up and up and up towards the end and I found the ending EXTREMELY satisfying.  One of the most satisfying in recent memory.  Just Wow!  Loved it.  I actually had goosebumps in one of the last scenes wondering if a certain character survived the final climactic battle or not.  Saying nothing. 

There are about 3 times in the game that you have to make some tough decisions and a couple had me pausing for about 10 minutes scared to say one way or the other, but ultimately very enjoyable having to even make such a scary choice.  I liked that.

I can't wait for the sequel now and it will be a day-one purchase for me. 

« Last Edit: November 18, 2007, 06:55:19 PM by mikeg » Logged

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 18, 2007, 08:54:05 PM »

Quote from: mikeg on November 18, 2007, 06:50:29 PM

Just finished the game.  I only did two side quests, so, pretty much followed the main storyline.  I played on normal difficulty for the first 60 percent and found it just a tad too hard for me.  So, I switched to Casual for the rest and while the game flowed better (not having to replay key battles over and over and over and over) I found it too be a tad too easy.  So, there really wasn't the sweet spot I was looking for.  But I must say on Casual it does make you feel a bit more like the bad ass you are supposed to be. 

Total playing time was between 13 and 14 hours.  I imagine if I had been on Casual the whole time it would have taken an hour or so less.  If I had did all the side quests, who knows?

Anyways, the story ramps up and up and up towards the end and I found the ending EXTREMELY satisfying.  One of the most satisfying in recent memory.  Just Wow!  Loved it.  I actually had goosebumps in one of the last scenes wondering if a certain character survived the final climactic battle or not.  Saying nothing. 

There are about 3 times in the game that you have to make some tough decisions and a couple had me pausing for about 10 minutes scared to say one way or the other, but ultimately very enjoyable having to even make such a scary choice.  I liked that.

I can't wait for the sequel now and it will be a day-one purchase for me. 

Mikeg: Enjoyed your posts concerning this game, thanks.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 18, 2007, 10:12:02 PM »

Yeah ditto, it was actually really good to have a non-rpger give us early impressions on this.  thumbsup
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 18, 2007, 10:44:34 PM »

not sure if this has been asked(cant see it anyway)..but can you save the game wherever and whenever you want?

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: November 18, 2007, 10:49:06 PM »

Yeah, I think you can save anywhere, anytime except in combat. But you are limited to only 10 save slots.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 18, 2007, 11:07:30 PM »

wow, GS is doing a midnight release for ME.  I just got the call about it, but I'll be passing on the chance to smell the geek stink.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 18, 2007, 11:31:50 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 18, 2007, 11:07:30 PM

wow, GS is doing a midnight release for ME.  I just got the call about it, but I'll be passing on the chance to smell the geek stink.

Yeah me too, I did the preorder thing at BB and i am sure I can get it anytime I want on the 20th.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: November 19, 2007, 12:55:40 AM »

Quote from: Fellow on November 18, 2007, 10:49:06 PM

Yeah, I think you can save anywhere, anytime except in combat. But you are limited to only 10 save slots.

When I finished I was in the upper 30's of saves.  And many of those were save-overs.  So, I can assure you there are many more than 10.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 19, 2007, 02:28:56 AM »

Well that solves that mystery then.  icon_biggrin

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 19, 2007, 03:21:05 AM »

The official website has been updated with the launch trailer for the game.  They're also adding a new screenshot every day.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 19, 2007, 04:47:32 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 18, 2007, 11:07:30 PM

Must be an individual store thing.  Mine isn't doing anything special for either ME or Rock Band.  frown

ďMy next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 19, 2007, 04:51:39 AM »

TML and I were deciding what characters to play earlier today and we both decided that there simply wasn't enough information on what the talents actually did for us to make final decisions-I did some googling but was unable to find any good details-does anyone know where to get the info? I mean, I have no idea what half the tech powers do, a few of the biotics, etc. I think I have narrowed it down to 3 choices, not that that was much of an accomplishment smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 19, 2007, 07:01:52 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on November 19, 2007, 04:51:39 AM

TML and I were deciding what characters to play earlier today and we both decided that there simply wasn't enough information on what the talents actually did for us to make final decisions-I did some googling but was unable to find any good details-does anyone know where to get the info? I mean, I have no idea what half the tech powers do, a few of the biotics, etc. I think I have narrowed it down to 3 choices, not that that was much of an accomplishment smile

go with the sci fi dude.

Because I can,
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: November 19, 2007, 08:01:23 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 19, 2007, 07:01:52 AM

go with the sci fi dude.

lol you suck!
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: November 19, 2007, 12:30:49 PM »

I don't know, Calvin.  But that kind of question is one of the few reasons I like paging through strategy guides, at least the beginning of strategy guides.  They usually spend a chapter or two on character types and their skills.  It really helps me decide what type of character I want to play in games like this or Oblivion. 

That being said, I don't even know if Mass Effect has a strategy guide, or if it devotes a chapter to this sort of thing.   icon_confused

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 19, 2007, 12:47:04 PM »

The website for the Prima strategy guide is here.  You can download a sample of the guide as well (click on "Try It Out!" Free).

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: November 19, 2007, 01:29:29 PM »

Ok.  I am officially assuming the fetal position now.  This is more exciting than a release of a new season of Emergency!  icon_eek  ninja 

I can't wait.
I can't wait.
I can't wait.
I can't wait.
I can't wait.

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: November 19, 2007, 03:11:47 PM »

I'm SO excited for this game as well. And it launches tomorrow. Unfortunately I have to work until 3ish (stupid job!).

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: November 19, 2007, 03:14:47 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on November 19, 2007, 08:01:23 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on November 19, 2007, 07:01:52 AM

go with the sci fi dude.

lol you suck!

Pfft.  Don't be stupid.  Go with the big titty robot chick.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: November 19, 2007, 04:06:01 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on November 19, 2007, 12:30:49 PM

I don't know, Calvin.  But that kind of question is one of the few reasons I like paging through strategy guides, at least the beginning of strategy guides.  They usually spend a chapter or two on character types and their skills.  It really helps me decide what type of character I want to play in games like this or Oblivion. 

That being said, I don't even know if Mass Effect has a strategy guide, or if it devotes a chapter to this sort of thing.   icon_confused

I actually like to just dive in and see how things develop.  I usually get lucky and end up with something I like.

Because I can,
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 19, 2007, 04:30:49 PM »

Quote from: Starshifter on November 19, 2007, 01:29:29 PM

Ok.  I am officially assuming the fetal position now.  This is more exciting than a release of a new season of Emergency!  icon_eek  ninja 

I can't wait.
I can't wait.
I can't wait.
I can't wait.
I can't wait.

Remember, Spectre Agents never run, Starshifter.
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 19, 2007, 04:49:21 PM »

Ok.  I am officially assuming the fetal position now.

That's the best way to protect your genitals.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 19, 2007, 04:50:01 PM »

Quote from: Eightball on November 19, 2007, 04:30:49 PM

I can't wait.
I can't wait.
I can't wait.
I can't wait.
I can't wait.

Remember, Spectre Agents never run, Starshifter.

turn to the Dark Side Shifty.  Run Shifty, RUN!!!

Because I can,
nymanium
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 19, 2007, 06:18:12 PM »

Beat it last night, think final time was around 17 hours, don't think I skipped many quests, though I did move through dialog fast, I'm a busy man and I can read faster than I can listen.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 19, 2007, 07:19:28 PM »

teamxbox just did a review and gave it 9.6....but they had this to say about the bad parts
(which have seems to be what has been said here)

Now for the bad part: Mass Effect is one of the buggiest games that this reviewer has played in quite some time. I had my system crash on me a number of times, and there were a bunch of clipping problems. My squadmates would get stuck in walls or seemingly disappear altogether, and don't even get me started on the level that had to be completely restarted when my Mako fell through the ground over and over at the same point. Finally, the framerate is also quite problematic at times, particularly during combat or when you're moving the camera around a lot.

and this

You might have noticed that we havenít really talked about the squad command system yet, and thatís because itís really not very good. Yes, youíve got the ability to tell your squadmates where to go and how to fight, but the weak friendly AI (thankfully the enemy AI is much better) makes it feel more like youíre babysitting them. Theyíll fire on your foes and use their biotic powers from time to time, but it usually feels more like a one-man show. Your best bet is to hop into the options menu to set their Squad Power Usage to Active, as this gives them a slightly better shot at getting through combat alive. Still, there will definitely be times when they die stupid deaths, so we highly recommend building up that Unity power.

i hope that patch gets released that we were hoping for!!

the squad problems worries me as i hated G.R.A.W. because of my squad

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
QP
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 19, 2007, 07:30:46 PM »

Hmm if the AI is that bad...do you get any say in what they can do?  Like if you make yourself the main combatant and make all your AI squadmates healers and buffers etc?

-QP
Currently Playing:
[PC]Oblivion Again (OOO this time)
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 19, 2007, 07:38:43 PM »

A lot of sites have posted their reviews - IGN (9.4), Gamespy(5/5), and Gametrailers (9.6).  The Gametrailers review contains my new favorite line - "The [problems] are like tiny specs in a celestial sea of awesomeness"  icon_biggrin

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #188 on: November 19, 2007, 09:34:53 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on November 19, 2007, 07:38:43 PM

A lot of sites have posted their reviews - IGN (9.4), Gamespy(5/5), and Gametrailers (9.6).  The Gametrailers review contains my new favorite line - "The [problems] are like tiny specs in a celestial sea of awesomeness"  icon_biggrin

Does the GameTrailers review spoil anything interesting about the game (other than showing it off to the masses)?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 20, 2007, 03:04:04 AM »

8.5 from GameSpot, since we're talking about reviews and all.

Still picking up my copy.  Sorta excited to see how this one gels with me...

TheMissingLink on PSN
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 20, 2007, 03:09:32 AM »

And PC World gave it 60/100??

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,139724-page,1-c,games/article.html

TheMissingLink on PSN
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 20, 2007, 03:11:20 AM »

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 20, 2007, 03:17:27 AM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on November 20, 2007, 03:09:32 AM

The funny part is that over 90% of the people voted that they disagree with the article, yet I would bet 99% haven't played it yet. The hype factor is raging.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 20, 2007, 03:25:31 AM »

I love fanboys that try to defend a game...without even playing it yet biggrin

Reviews on games seem to be totally weird this past month or so.  They're becoming more and more unprofessional, and frankly, not a true indication of the final product.  Forum chatter is the way to go!

TheMissingLink on PSN
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 20, 2007, 03:43:04 AM »

Matt Peckham seems to like to go against the prevailing opinion with most of his reviews.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 04:19:05 AM by denoginizer » Logged

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: November 20, 2007, 04:10:46 AM »

I believe that guy is the same one that had his review of NWN 2 pulled off the internet for being so crappy.  I wouldn't trust his RPG reviews.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: November 20, 2007, 04:18:24 AM »

Quote from: Nth Power on November 20, 2007, 04:10:46 AM

I believe that guy is the same one that had his review of NWN 2 pulled off the internet for being so crappy.  I wouldn't trust his RPG reviews.

Plus...why is PC World, a site that clearly sounds like they review PC games, and PC games only, reviewing, well, non-PC games?

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: November 20, 2007, 04:31:26 AM »

Maybe to bash them Tongue  No clue, same thought entered my mind...

TheMissingLink on PSN
Travis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: November 20, 2007, 04:49:32 AM »

Quote from: Lee on November 20, 2007, 03:17:27 AM

The funny part is that over 90% of the people voted that they disagree with the article, yet I would bet 99% haven't played it yet. The hype factor is raging.

That wasn't even a review.  From reading that I have no idea if he played it, what issues he saw, or much of anything.  The fact it is a mag reviewing an X-Box game makes it worse.  I voted against his review for that reason alone.  It had nothing to do with be a "fanboy".  Until today, I honestly knew nothing about the game except that it was a RPG by Bioware.  I never considered purchasing it.  I hate geek journalists who try to get their name in lights by slamming things.  Seems to be a trend these days.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: November 20, 2007, 04:56:44 AM »

Quote from: denoginizer on November 20, 2007, 03:43:04 AM

Matt Peckham seems to like to go against the prevailing opinion with most of his reviews.

Yeah, he was the guy who wrote the NWN2 review that GFW pulled last year. 
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: