http://gamingtrend.com
April 18, 2014, 08:47:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mass Effect Impressions  (Read 33133 times)
Blackjack
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 12, 2007, 04:38:24 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on November 11, 2007, 11:35:59 PM

Gah, so it looks out they did take out the pause and issue orders with a detached camera mode.  What a loss, that could have made the game a lot more tactical and teammates more useful.  Plus, people don't have to use it, but it would have been nice for people who arne't good at shooters, but are very good at commanding.

Why oh why do all these big 360 games simplify themselves towards the shooter mechanics?
I'm interloping (don't have a 360 but have been reading about this). My understanding (see Gamespot's late October hands-on preview from Bioware's offices: http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/rpg/masseffect/news.html?sid=6178928&tag=topslot;title;1) is you can play it as a third person shooter *or* you can play it more like KOTOR, using the right bumper to pause the action, give orders and then see how things play out. I would be baffled if Bioware yanked that feature out of the game weeks before it went gold. smile

From Gamespot:
Quote from: Gamespot Sept. 17
Hitting the right bumper lets you pause the action and strategically coordinate your squad's attacks, whether they are physical or biotic. Once you target your enemies and assign your attacks using the game's easy-to-grasp combat wheel, you release the bumper then watch it all play out.

Though the pause feature can be used repeatedly, you can also choose to battle in real-time fashion, third-person-shooter style, if you're not big on planning. It's not the most efficient road to success, but it's possible to play through what appears to be a good chunk of encounters. We came to appreciate both ways to fight because some enemies could be easily dealt with via some old-fashioned shooting, while others required coordinated attacks mixing firearms and biotic powers.
The official site also describes it as such (http://masseffect.bioware.com/gameinfo/), so maybe it's just not intuitive as to how to pull up the pausable mode. icon_confused

IGN's review tries to explain this (I do get the impression from their impressions that it's easy to not even know that you can pause, assign targets etc. esp. since the game's marketing emphasizes the "real time" aspect so much):
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/834/834262p2.html
The three primary classes, (biotic user, soldier, and engineer) each have their own list of powers that can be called into use at any time by using the right bumper to call up the power wheel. Holding this button down pauses the game and allows you to use your powers, as well command your squad members to use theirs. Unlike KOTOR, there is no stacking of commands -- you can issue one command at a time to your allies.
I'm hoping it's good. It really is the kind of deep game that might get me over the fence finally. smile FPSs on consoles give me serious motion sickness, and I'm less incomptent with them on PCs. So something melding a few genres like this has a lot more appeal for me as far as being a "system seller" for me.

OK that's enough interloping. I'm fleeing. smile
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 04:49:44 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Meltdown (Steam early access)
-Running With Soldiers (Steam early access)
-Breach & Clear
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 12, 2007, 04:45:46 AM »

Not the best shooting mechanic, and I often die trying to zero in on guys, but it is passable for an rpg.
Is the game challenging?  I'm worried because of the its RPG background, that it'll be fairly easy overall. 

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 12, 2007, 09:00:05 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 12, 2007, 01:26:39 AM

Quote from: Arclight on November 11, 2007, 08:46:23 PM

We love to get tangled up in minutia dont we. Gamers, we're such an opinionated bunch.. nod

Hey, that's my opinion and I'm entitled to it... icon_eek paranoid

it's all mikeg's fault!!!!  if he hadn't gotten the game early we'd all still be one big happy Brady Bunch!

ban

Can I be the long lost adopted son and date Marsha?

Grace: Unmerited favor.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 12, 2007, 09:09:10 AM »

Quote from: Arclight on November 12, 2007, 09:00:05 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on November 12, 2007, 01:26:39 AM

Quote from: Arclight on November 11, 2007, 08:46:23 PM

We love to get tangled up in minutia dont we. Gamers, we're such an opinionated bunch.. nod

Hey, that's my opinion and I'm entitled to it... icon_eek paranoid

it's all mikeg's fault!!!!  if he hadn't gotten the game early we'd all still be one big happy Brady Bunch!

ban

Can I be the long lost adopted son and date Marsha?

no, you get to be Alice.  now wipe my arse!!!!!  Tongue

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 12, 2007, 02:40:03 PM »

I just watched the release trailer.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/27725.html

Wow. 

Someone watching that trailer who didn't know much about the game will certainly get the impression that it is an action game, and not an RPG.  Hopefully alot of the average 360 shooter players out there give it a chance.
The game does seem to drift more towards squad based shooter with a great open ended story, than hard core RPG. I know alot of people here will disagree, but that works great for me.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 02:46:06 PM by denoginizer » Logged

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 12, 2007, 03:32:20 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on November 12, 2007, 02:40:03 PM

Wow. 

+1.  time to go on a gaming binge to clear my playlist before ME comes out.

Because I can,
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 12, 2007, 04:32:08 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 12, 2007, 03:32:20 PM

Quote from: denoginizer on November 12, 2007, 02:40:03 PM

Wow.

+1.  time to go on a gaming binge to clear my playlist before ME comes out.

Co Sign..

It does not help that lam adding two more to the list on Wednesday.

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ‹(•Ώ•)›  ‹(•Ώ•)›  ‹(•Ώ•)›
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ‹(•Ώ•)›  ‹(•Ώ•)›  ‹(•Ώ•)›
PS3 Spinks
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 12, 2007, 05:51:30 PM »

Quote from: mikeg on November 11, 2007, 11:22:13 PM

One thing that I have noticed is that EVERY planet I landed on that was not directly involved in meeting a journal entry (and you get those by talking to people and accepting an assignment or following the main storyline) were layed out exactly the same.  The planets all looked different ofcourse, but on each was three things to go check out- an anomally of some sort, debris, and a building or beacon.  Without exception you will find those three things.  Strange that they would all be the same.

This, if it remains true throughout the game, is quite disappointing and has been a concern of mine since they first started tossing around big numbers of planets that will be available in the game.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 12, 2007, 09:53:11 PM »

i just found out that the limited edition is a coool tin case,like dead rising,lost planet,bioshock etc....droool,glad i pre-ordered that version

http://kotaku.com/gaming/pics/mass-effect-limited-collectors-edition-mass-unboxing-321735.php

week on friday to go for me....arrghh retard

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: November 12, 2007, 11:18:57 PM »

Quote from: Farscry on November 12, 2007, 05:51:30 PM

Quote from: mikeg on November 11, 2007, 11:22:13 PM

One thing that I have noticed is that EVERY planet I landed on that was not directly involved in meeting a journal entry (and you get those by talking to people and accepting an assignment or following the main storyline) were layed out exactly the same.  The planets all looked different ofcourse, but on each was three things to go check out- an anomally of some sort, debris, and a building or beacon.  Without exception you will find those three things.  Strange that they would all be the same.

This, if it remains true throughout the game, is quite disappointing and has been a concern of mine since they first started tossing around big numbers of planets that will be available in the game.

Only time will tell, but I hear ya.  When they first showed the Galazy Map in vids and talked about I was amazed at all the planets you get to, I thought, VISIT.  But if all you do on 80% of them is read a blurb about em or do a one-click survey from space-big deal.  But it's way too early to gripe yet.  Who knows maybe they will ALL be unlocked at some point.  Now, that would be sweet, as there are quite a few.  But honestly, I am not confident as that would make the game very very very long.  I have played about 6 hours and nowhere does it say I am X percentage complete.  So, who knows. 

I was seriously considering selling it and mailing it tomorrow because, quite frankly, I just don't have time for real long-winded games.  My gaming time is very spurt like and usually only in tiny increments.  So, unlikely I would ever finish it.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 13, 2007, 12:56:43 AM »

... So your basically already done with the game?

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 13, 2007, 12:59:02 AM »

Quote from: mikeg on November 12, 2007, 11:18:57 PM

I was seriously considering selling it and mailing it tomorrow because, quite frankly, I just don't have time for real long-winded games.  My gaming time is very spurt like and usually only in tiny increments.  So, unlikely I would ever finish it.

you might be able to make a nice amount on eBay...

Because I can,
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: November 13, 2007, 01:20:53 AM »

Nah, I am nowhere near done with it.  I just am not a diehard rpg'er and am not sure I can stick with it.  I was hoping this game, of all of them, would make an rpg player out of me.  I think it quite simply comes down to the amount of time I have to play.  I usually, on average, only get about 5 hours a week.  And with all the titles out, and soon to come out, I am not sure I would ever actually stick with and finish a game this massive. 

Silly of me to even consider it I know, but what can I say.  Hype hits me hard sometimes.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 13, 2007, 03:07:42 AM »

My nephew snagged a copy at the local K-Mart earlier today.  He said he got it for me as a surprise gift, but I am thinking the only good "good uncle" thing to do is let him have the copy.

Either way, we'll be checking it out tomorrow together. 

Very excited.

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: November 13, 2007, 04:29:11 AM »

Nice unboxing of the CE Edition there. Too bad that Bioware were morons and won't allow it to be sold in stores in the US.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 13, 2007, 04:50:30 AM »

Quote from: Lockdown on November 13, 2007, 03:07:42 AM

My nephew snagged a copy at the local K-Mart earlier today.  He said he got it for me as a surprise gift, but I am thinking the only good "good uncle" thing to do is let him have the copy.

Either way, we'll be checking it out tomorrow together. 

Very excited.

Wow, what a nice kid.

The Gone Gold Effect has a strong influence on the weak minded ...
GamerTag: Scoop20906
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 13, 2007, 08:56:52 AM »

There's an article at IGN that talks about the exploration aspect and exploring side quest planets.

After landing on a planet or moon, you'll notice that your map is filled with roughly five or six places of note. There will typically be one downed satellite or other crash site to salvage, a ruin or two to scan, and a couple places where you'll have to take some action to complete a side quest...While the planets and satellites you can explore follow the same general pattern, the side quests rarely do. Filled with detailed plotlines, each is distinct enough to be memorable in its own way. With a rough estimate of 15 or 20 planets that you can land on, there's quite a lot to take in.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: November 13, 2007, 10:22:09 AM »

Wow, 15-20 is a bit less than they were trying to promote.  But that's still a good number so long as they're all interesting.  Looks like a majority of the exploration is just done on the galaxy map, which I'm mostly fine with.  I wonder if this is a product of time constraints, or if they couldn't fit any more locations on to one DVD.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 13, 2007, 04:13:37 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on November 13, 2007, 10:22:09 AM

Wow, 15-20 is a bit less than they were trying to promote.  But that's still a good number so long as they're all interesting.  Looks like a majority of the exploration is just done on the galaxy map, which I'm mostly fine with.  I wonder if this is a product of time constraints, or if they couldn't fit any more locations on to one DVD.

or maybe they were having trouble coming up with enough interesting stuff to put on more planets.  I'd rather have 15-20 unique planets compared to 30-40 cookie cutter planets.

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: November 13, 2007, 04:33:40 PM »

Mmmm, chocolate chip moon around the planet of cookie cutters.

I hope they have gingerbread trees and peanut-butter swamps and oceans of milk. Yummy!

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
drake113
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 13, 2007, 04:46:11 PM »

I was under the impression that additional planets/missions/whatever were going to be added later as DLC.  Granted, I think I read this on the Mass Effect site over a year ago, so it's possible that this was taken off the table.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 13, 2007, 06:04:07 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 13, 2007, 04:13:37 PM

or maybe they were having trouble coming up with enough interesting stuff to put on more planets.  I'd rather have 15-20 unique planets compared to 30-40 cookie cutter planets.

Ditto that, though it's still much more limited than promotional demonstrations led me to believe. If the depth of gameplay on the optional planets is significant enough, it'll (as you note) outweigh the perceived lack of quantity.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 13, 2007, 06:55:12 PM »

yep, - i know that's why i liked ratchet & clank future...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 13, 2007, 08:24:19 PM »

Quote from: semiconscious on November 13, 2007, 06:55:12 PM

yep, - i know that's why i liked ratchet & clank future...

Err.. Kinda yeah. But some of those planets in R&C took like half an hour to go through, I don't want to see that in a game like ME.

Sean Lama
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: November 13, 2007, 11:55:09 PM »

Or it could simply be that since this was a planned trilogy from the get go, maybe those planets won't be unlocked til game 2 and 3.  Just thinking out loud.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 14, 2007, 12:22:01 AM »

Quote from: Farscry on November 13, 2007, 06:04:07 PM

Ditto that, though it's still much more limited than promotional demonstrations led me to believe. If the depth of gameplay on the optional planets is significant enough, it'll (as you note) outweigh the perceived lack of quantity.

Well...considering MP3 only had about 4 planets and a derelict space station and yet still managed to be a helluva a gameplay experience, 15-20 sounds like plenty enough to me. It's the quality that counts and as others have said, if they managed to implement 15 - 20 with well fleshed out gameplay it'll be better than quick visits to many.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: November 14, 2007, 12:28:47 AM »

Well, of the 5 planets I have visited only one so far had what I would consider alot to do, and that one directly followed the story.  The others I just dropped down to see what I could see and do.  They all had pretty much the same set of circumstances, give or take minor differences, but pretty much the same AMOUNT of gameplay.  And that is about 1/15 of what the story-driven planet had.  Question is, how many of those story planets are there.  Have no clue.

But I gotta say the story driven planets are a blast and full of great interaction, combat moments, and nice visuals.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 14, 2007, 12:59:38 AM »

The list of achievements for ME is now available - I'll put it in a spoiler, but there aren't any storyline spoilers, unless you count knowing the names of the planets.

Spoiler for Hiden:
* Medal of Honor - Complete 1 Mass Effect Playthrough on any setting - 100G
* Medal of Heroism - Complete Feros - 25G
* Distinguished Service Medal - Complete Eden Prime - 25G
* Council Legion of Merit - Complete Virmire - 25G
* Honorarium of Corporate Service - Complete Noveria - 25G
* Long Service Medal - Complete 2 Mass Effect Playthroughs on any setting - 25G
* Distinguished Combat Medal - Complete 1 Mass Effect playthrough on the Hardcore difficulty setting. Do not change the setting. - 25G
* Medal of Valor - Complete 1 Mass Effect playthrough on the Insanity difficulty setting. Do not change the setting. - 50G
* Pistol Expert - Register 150 Pistol Kills - 10G
* Shotgun Expert - Register 150 Shotgun Kills - 15G
* Assault Rifle Expert - Register 150 Assault Rifle Kills - 15G
* Sniper Expert - Register 150 Sniper Rifle Kills - 15G
* Lift Mastery - Use biotic Lift 75 times - 15G
* Throw Mastery - Use biotic Throw 75 times - 15G
* Warp Mastery - Use biotic Warp 75 times - 15G
* Singularity Mastery - Use biotic Singularity 75 times - 15G
* Barrier Mastery - Use biotic Barrier 75 times - 15G
* Stasis Mastery - Use biotic Stasis 75 times - 15G
* Damping Specialist - Use Damping Field 75 times - 15G
* AI Hacking Specialist - Use AI Hacking 75 times - 15G
* Overlord Specialist - Use Shield Overload 75 times - 15G
* Sabotage Specialist - Use Sabotage 75 times - 15G
* First Aid Specialist - Use medi-gel 150 times - 15G
* Neural Shock Specialist - Use Neural Shock 75 times - 15G
* Scholar - Find all primary Alien: Council Races, Extinct Races and Non-Council Races codex entries - 25G
* Completionist - Complete the majority of the game - 25G
* Tactician - Complete playthrough with shield damage greater than health damage - 25G
* Medal of Exploration - Land on an uncharted world - 50G
* Rich - Exceed 1,000,000 Credits - 25G
* Dog of War - Register 150 organic enemy kills - 25G
* Geth Hunter - Register 250 Synthetic enemy kills - 25G
* Soldier Ally - Complete the majority of the game with the Alliance soldier squad member - 20G
* Sentinal Ally - Complete the majority of the game with the Alliance sentinel squad member - 20G
* Krogan Ally - Complete the majority of the game with the Krogan squad member - 20G
* Turian Ally - Complete the majority of the game with the turian squad member - 20G
* Quarian Ally - Complete the majority of the game with the querian squad member - 20G
* Asari Ally - Complete the majority of the game with the asari squad member - 20G
* Power Gamer - Reach 50th level with one character - 20G
* Extreme Power Gamer - Reach 60th level with one character - 50G
* Renegade - Accumulate 75% of total Renegade points - 15G
* Paragon - Accumulate 75% of total Paragon points - 15G
* Paramour - Complete any romance subplot - 10G
* Spectre Inductee - Become a Spectre - 15G
* Charismatic - Use Charm or Intimidate to resolve an impossible situation - 10G
* Search and Rescue - Locate Dr. T’Soni in the Artemis Tau cluster - 10G

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: November 14, 2007, 01:06:31 AM »

Ooh, not good.  I only count four actual big planet mission acheivements.  I have completed Eden Prime, am 75 percent done with Feros, and that means there is only two others, and I have only played 5 hours.  All the other planets then must be as I have reported-minor investigatory side deals with very minor combat elements.  And not much investigation at that imo. 

Ofcourse, it will still last a good 20 hours I think at minimum, and you can't gripe with that nowadays, but still all those planets and only four major plot ones.  Not a game breaker by any means just honestly not what I expected when I first saw the Galaxy Map months ago. 

Oh well, still a very cool game nonetheless and it can definitely be played through many times choosing to go a different direction with your character each time.  Albeit the story will most likely go the same, just your combat moments may play out differently. 

I am Xboxalot on Live.
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 14, 2007, 02:24:05 AM »

I don't think looking at the achievement list is a good way to determine the amount of content  icon_confused .
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 14, 2007, 02:25:12 AM »

I had a chance to play tonight and will give a brief summary of my thoughts based on the little I have experienced so far (no spoilers of course).   As anyone who follows my posts knows, I am a sci-fi dork and have been looking forward to Mass Effect for quite some time.

Let me start with the stuff I would count as not super positive and work up to what I really liked.

First and foremost, I can say that so far I do not like the combat.  The cover mechanic itself works fine.  No, it's not as good as R6, but this isn't a shooter, so I probably don't have a right to expect it to be.  I found my teammate A.I. to be... well, on a see-saw.  One minute they are taking smart cover positions, aquiring and firing at targets on their own, and being extremely helpful and a pivotal part of an encounter.  The next minute, they are standing up straight, shooting into boxes, and dying before I know what happened.  At times, I would give them orders to move, and they would find cover on their own, and even peek out from behind it and watch intellegent angles and blind spots.  Other orders would find them staring into a rock, the wrong direction, with no ability to give them direct commands because they were "blocked".  I'm not exaggerating either one of these things.  They were that good and that dumb all in a matter of a few mini-encounters.  What this tells me is that when you see the dumb things, pausing, issuing direct orders, and being patient, is probably going to be necessary.  How big of a deal that is to you personally is obviously not for me to decide.  The 'feel' of combat and the control is very meh.  It is servicable I guess, but I felt it was easily the weakest part of the total experience.  From a different perspective though, my nephew thought it was great, had very little issue with anything, and said he really enjoyed it.  (He is in his early 20's, for reference).

Second, I'll touch on the graphics and presentation.  Frankly, I was disappointed and very pleased at the same time.  Some of the shadow work is poor.  Many things looked washed out and not nearly as crisp as I anticipated.  Keep in mind though, my nephew's tv is not as good as mine, and I'm not sure what type of hookups he has, as they may not be anything higher than the standard cables that came with the xbox.  I forgot to ask him.  On the other hand, the animations, facial expressions, and during certain cutscenes, I was ecstatic at how great things looked.  Some characters look better than others.  One of the coolest features is spending time making your guy, and seeing him, the guy you spent all that time on, in each scene, closeup.  It is extremely engaging.

And finally, what I loved.  The story, the voice acting, and anything having to do with roleplaying/conversations.  For fear of setting expectations so high that you all end up being disappointed, I will simply say I was blown away.  From the second we made the first decision about our character in creation, until we quit playing, anytime we were not in combat and were actually watching the story unfold, or were part a conversation, I was completely and totally engrossed.

We didn't get far enough to dig deeply into character customization, star maps, etc...  So these impressions are based solely on the beginning parts of the game.  And that is all I got for now.  I ended up telling him to keep the copy.  I have a feeling once I warm up to the combat (assuming I ever do), I will love the game.  If I don't warm up to it, well, I'll probably just struggle through it in order to savor the parts of the game I really enjoy.  
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 02:26:55 AM by Lockdown » Logged

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: November 14, 2007, 02:54:58 AM »

I took a turn in combat tonight while playing and found I am enjoying it more now.  I started pausing and giving commands to my squad mates to use their biotics on a specific target and when I unpaused, holyshit, did they ever.  I had this particularly tough bitch in front of us and I told one to use Carnage (sort of mega explosive shotgun shell), told the other to use damper (which stops the enemy from using their biotics on ya), and finally I selected for me an explosively upgraded grenade.  After unpausing and the humongous explosions faded away there was not so much as a molecule of that pesky beeotch left.  Shweet.

Once your guys are upgraded and start getting really cool biotics, then start pausing and be more tactical in combat and the fun in that area goes much higher.  Prior to that and if you don't pause and give commands then there will no doubt be mega frustration with your squadmates and the overall sluggish combat controls.  Word to the wise.

And as Lockdown said the unfolding story and interaction between characters in nothing short of fantastic.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 02:56:55 AM by mikeg » Logged

I am Xboxalot on Live.
nymanium
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 14, 2007, 04:18:11 AM »

The main quest is short it seems, I'm maybe half way through it and I've gone through it fast, side quests eat up a lot of time, I have maybe 2 main quests to do but 10-15 side quests to do. Combat is fun, though it seems a little too easy to die. Was up against some rocket robots last night and even as a soldier with beefed life and shields one rocket head on would kill me. When you have 5 all shooting you and don't have decent dodging ability due to smallish room it gets frustrating.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 14, 2007, 10:00:46 PM »

good news for Canadians,regarding the limited edition,seems there will be the same online ways as America for you to get hold of a limited edition copy

http://kotaku.com/gaming/hooray/mass-effect-le-coming-to-canada-322691.php

Two days ago when I unboxed Mass Effect Limited Collector's Edition, I saw this note in the comments:

I really wish this was sold here in Canada and not just in the US. I mean, a Canadian company made the game. Damn, and that box is beautiful; it would definitely compliment my Halo LE box.
I couldn't sleep that night, with thoughts like "I'm proud to be a diesel drinking American" "I feel so bad for our Canadian readership." But according to Bioware's community manager Chris Priestly, Canadians will have plenty of chances to buy this limited edition version:

We have some good news to pass on for our fellow Canadians who were initially upset that they could not buy the Mass Effect Limited Collector's Edition here in Canada.
We can now confirm that the LCE IS available for sale through at least 2 websites in our ongoing attempts to make it available to as many people as possible.

It has been spotted for sale at both www.bestbuy.ca and www.futureshop.ca. If anyone else sees any retailers that are offering it, please post here and let us all know.

Once again, in Canada and the US the LCE is only available through online orders, not in stores.

But I still don't get the whole online order only deal. Screw shelf space.

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 14, 2007, 10:12:16 PM »

Oh God, and of course OXM gives out another perfect 10 score (that's like what, 4 in the past two months?) to Mass Effect. Get this quote:

"If you seperated the gameplay from the story, you could crap on the gameplay for a handful of different things".

thumbsup

Sean Lama
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 14, 2007, 10:13:17 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on November 14, 2007, 10:12:16 PM

Oh God, and of course OXM gives out another perfect 10 score (that's like what, 4 in the past two months?) to Mass Effect. Get this quote:

"If you seperated the gameplay from the story, you could crap on the gameplay for a handful of different things".

thumbsup

Where are the impressions here? Stop thread crapping with the ME dissing, come on.

p.s. What a stupid thing to say OXM.  icon_wink
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 10:21:25 PM by Calvin » Logged
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 14, 2007, 10:45:13 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on November 14, 2007, 10:12:16 PM

thumbsup

Ergo, the game deserves a perfect score. retard What fools...

If the story is awesome but you have problems while playing then the game is not perfect, ladies and gentlemen. That's why certain developers are better known for balance than others. I'm playing a video game, not watching a movie (MGS series exempted). If the movie parts are great then congratulations. You developers made it awesomely easy to click one of three dialog answers. Kudos. But if the combat and remaining gameplay has issues, then someone's priorities were not where they should have been.

That being said, I do hope Mass Effect is awesome through and through but no game deserves a perfect 10 if it has significant flaws in the gameplay but not the story. To say otherwise is just plain stupid.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 14, 2007, 11:40:33 PM »

Agreed. I completely understand the concept of rating a game based on the experience that it delivers. However, I feel like we have a responsibility to still recognize that gaming is interactive entertainment and while the game may deliver great cutscenes and dialogue, we still have to demand a standard for the interactive portion of the experience.

Either way, they are gonna get my money regardless. I still look forward to the "experience".

Also, apologies for adding more to the thread without any impressions but shit, that's what happens when the impressions thread is started almost 2 weeks before the game is released. Start a new one near the correct date.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 11:42:31 PM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 14, 2007, 11:43:37 PM »

Damn straight, Ridah.  For me, I love a good story in a videogame.  But if story was all I cared about, I'd read a book.  That was my complaint with Bioshock.  I know, it was all about story.  But I felt the gameplay was merely average.  Actually, the story wasn't that good either.

I will probably buy ME.  Since there's no MP, I may not buy it at launch.  But if all it's got is great story and broken gameplay, I'm going to be disappointed.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: November 15, 2007, 12:20:10 AM »

My fault.  I should have kept my mouth shut and just played it in anonimity.  Bottom line, no, the game has not lived up to the hype imo nor to my expectations.  But it is still a good game.    I think everyone should be able to find something they love about it.  However, like just mentioned, I too get games to PLAY.  And sadly, the playing part is where it is most lacking.  Not BAD, mind you, just not what you were hoping I bet.  At least not to me anyway.  My hope is that most will absolute love it as I really like it when people get what they have hoped and anticipated.

Can't wait for you guys to get it and chime in yourselves.  As of now, though, I am done with this thread.  See you in the new one started next week.

Chow.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: