http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 03:35:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mass Effect Impressions  (Read 34654 times)
Arclight
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2007, 12:02:11 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 11, 2007, 03:39:24 AM

Have you had alien lesbian sex yet?

*points to couch* please, lay down and tell me about yourself. When did this obsession with Alien Lesbians begin?................

*writes out prescription for Lithium, valium, and percocet*
 nod

Grace: Unmerited favor.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2007, 12:37:50 PM »

Okay, it's time to gripe a tad. 

1.  The texture fill in is quite frequent actually. But still forgiveable for me personally.  But man, I am wondering if they were rushed to get this out as it just seems to be too frequent.  In some instances you may walk into a room and it may take a full 10 seconds for all the detail to catch up.  That is quite a long time actually.  I notice it, and am disappointed that they could not have optimized it better or whatever (probably rushed to meet some deadline), but I can completely live with it.  Just mentioning it is definitely there.

2.  Not sure if this is frame-rate related or loading or what, but there seems to be more stutter than I would expect from a game from such a prominent developer.  I have not had a single freeze in combat or anything like that, but it is nowhere near the butter smoothness that CoD4 has.  Not even close.  Maybe they tried to load behind the scene too much instead of having a loading moment every time you open a door, like in Oblivion.   I can see them trying to do that and that might explain the momentary sputters.  I will say that in combat the dip in whatever is not a killer by any means.   I am no frame rate guru and maybe all of this is just that.  Some of you may know that better, but I do know I have never frozen at any moment-just a millisecond of sputter.

3.  Some wierd squad mate stuff goes on.  For instance, I enter this one area and a fray starts, my squad mates start firing, taking cover, etc.  Well, quickly they are incompacitated, which happens often and quickly, and they are lying seemingly dead on the floor.  The fight is too much for me so I run out the door we came in before the fight started to let my health regenerate and wallah my squad mates are outside with me like nothing happened.  Huh?  They should still be in there on the floor.  Also, during combat one of them will be yelling, referring to the enemies, "They're everywhere"  "They're everywhere" over and over and over.  EVEN after both squad mates are unconscious on the floor.  Also, after about the 8th time I got the message already.  That is my only voice/sound complaint. Huh?  And lastly, sometimes when I go to take cover and move to a corner to shoot and one of squad mates has the corner-he/she just flat won't give it up.  That's not toooo bad though.  I have seen my squad mates actually kill someone though, but by and large you have to do 80% of it.

Someone commented that it sounds awfully combat-centric and I have to say it is more of that than I expected from an rpg.  There are ample dialogue opportunities and all, but in just about every new area you will fight someone, or something (don't want to give away anything).  Maybe that is why I am liking it because I need action to keep me from getting too bored with just talking all the time.  I think it is a 50/50 proposition in that regard.

On the plus side I have figured grenades out and like em.  If you are in cover, and the enemy is behind his cover and just flat won't come out but he is close to a wall.  You put your cursor on the wall near where he is hiding and tap the 'back' button and you will chunk a perfectly thrown grenade that will oddly travel straight (no arc) to that spot and stick on the wall. Then whenever you are ready tap the 'back' button again and kablooee!  Wierd, but I like it.

Lastly, let me comment on the squad mates again.  Some of the issues with them getting incompacitated may be my fault.  At any time you can, by pressing either the left bumper or right, either you powers wheel or your weapon wheel and tell your squad mates and yourself what weapon or power to employ.  I don't do much of it and maybe I that is why they are getting their butts kicked.  Maybe I need to tell them to use their shield boost or one of the powers that enhances their combat skills or something.  All of these powers only last about 30 seconds before they wind down and have to recharge.  But as has been said when in combat and you call up one these, the game pauses.  You do not have to do any of that in real time, which is a gigantic help. 

Lastly, as you progress you gain allies who you can let join your squad and you can build up quite a cadre of them and then on any and every planet drop or mission you can choose which two will join.  You can go with two humans or two aliens or a combo.  Your choice.  If you are going into what you know will be a battle maybe you need to pick the more combat-hardy squad mate.  At this point I am trying to build up the powers and abilities of my human counterparts, so maybe that is not wise and why I suffer in combat so much.  Don't know.

I hope someone else who is better at analyzing the frame rate thing gets the game early and can chime in as I am no expert.  If someone can tell me exactly what I should be looking for I will look for it.

Bye for now...

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2007, 01:03:40 PM »

Unbelievable....isn't this street dated for the 20th?  saywhat
I wish they'd actually punish these stores when they do this, like when they sell books early.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2007, 01:07:42 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on November 11, 2007, 01:03:40 PM

I wish they'd actually punish these stores when they do this

or just release it worldwide ...as the street date means nothing now icon_biggrin

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2007, 01:12:47 PM »

the street date means nothing now
Yes, it does. Not everyone has it in their stores to sell yet.
The whole point of street dating big titles is to make sure
that everyone gets it in stock for when it goes on sale and
there's an even playing field.

What the heck are they even doing with the game this early? Yeesh.

Just to be clear, I don't blame you guys for buying it early.
The fault is squarely on the people that are selling it.
They are supposed to know better.

Seriously, though, there are big fines to the FCC if you sell
books early. When I worked at Barnes & Noble, this was a big deal
and the managers would get really upset if something got put on the floor
early. I don't get why video games seem to be different and stores get away
with doing this repeatedly.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 01:16:23 PM by Misguided » Logged

Ruining language with my terrible words.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2007, 01:16:58 PM »

Yeah, I agree.  If one store breaks the street date, hell, the floodgates should open, but I see the point in giving everyone equal footing on having it in store to sell at the same time.  I reeeaaallllllyyyyy want some of you playing so you can tell me how to do certain things as I am actually the LAST person who should be commenting on an rpg as I have never finished one.  Ever.  Can't wait for you all to get it.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2007, 01:36:57 PM »

I have read none of the impressions and this post serves as my reluctant exit from this thread until game release.  crybaby crybaby crybaby
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2007, 02:13:54 PM »

Since I am working today for a few extra hours, you know to support this months gaming extravaganza. I will visit all 3 K-Marts on my way home just to satisfy my soul. I never get lucky with this stuff. 

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ()  ()  ()
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ()  ()  ()
PS3 Spinks
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2007, 02:36:30 PM »

This is some bull-shit http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=110191754921&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=001
Not so much it being on sale for that high but the fact some idiot is will to pay that much for an early release.  Its not going be long before developers\publishers go: X game is releasing in one month, however for double the price you can get your copy for today.. disgust

PS3 Spinks
warning

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2007, 02:52:24 PM »

Quote from: mikeg on November 11, 2007, 01:16:58 PM

I reeeaaallllllyyyyy want some of you playing so you can tell me how to do certain things as I am actually the LAST person who should be commenting on an rpg as I have never finished one.  Ever.  Can't wait for you all to get it.

The only solution is for you to overnight your copy to me.  I'll take one for the team.
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 11, 2007, 03:06:04 PM »

It just crossed my mind.. K-Mart belongs to Sears. A quick check to the Sears Web site And I can order this game now with free 6-10 business days shipping.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_05891137000P?vName=Computers+%26+Electronics&keyword=mass+effect
Look like I will be hitting the Malls on my way home too.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 04:22:46 PM by JuniorDan » Logged

PS3 Spinks
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2007, 04:05:54 PM »

Quote from: JuniorDan on November 11, 2007, 03:06:04 PM

It just crossed my mind.. Wal Mart belongs to Sears. A quick check to the Sears Web site And I can order this game now with free 6-10 business days shipping.
[urlhttp://www.sears.com/shc/s/OrderItemDisplayView?orderId=9482030&storeId=10153&MiniShopCartFlag=1&catalogId=12605&ddkey=http:OrderItemDisplay[/url]

Perhaps sears belongs to walmart, but it's definitely not the other way around.
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2007, 04:19:50 PM »

Quote from: ATB on November 11, 2007, 04:05:54 PM

It just crossed my mind.. Wal Mart belongs to Sears. A quick check to the Sears Web site And I can order this game now with free 6-10 business days shipping.
[urlhttp://www.sears.com/shc/s/OrderItemDisplayView?orderId=9482030&storeId=10153&MiniShopCartFlag=1&catalogId=12605&ddkey=http:OrderItemDisplay[/url]

LOL my bad, I meant K-Mart

PS3 Spinks
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 11, 2007, 05:07:10 PM »

i have just been on the Bioware site and they have been in touch with K-mart and they have got them to pull the remaining copies of the shelves

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2007, 05:39:29 PM »

Quote from: JuniorDan on November 11, 2007, 04:19:50 PM

Quote from: ATB on November 11, 2007, 04:05:54 PM

LOL my bad, I meant K-Mart

D00d. I went ahead and placed an order for the game on sears.com. Says I'll have it on the 16th.  Let's see what happens!
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2007, 05:43:58 PM »

I hate strong release dates.   Why do they do it?   For years half the fun of new games was looking for them around and about as they showed up in stores.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2007, 06:04:43 PM »

Less talk about where to get it and more impressions please. smile
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 11, 2007, 06:39:17 PM »

I'm worried that the more Mikeg plays the less impressed his impressions will be, he's already bumped into the problems we've known about with the brain-dead A.I and funky combat mechanics, and now we're learning of some serious graphical issues beyond a few frame rate stutters. This game needed a few more months in development it sounds like to me.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 11, 2007, 06:44:45 PM »

Quote from: ATB on November 11, 2007, 01:36:57 PM

I have read none of the impressions and this post serves as my reluctant exit from this thread until game release.  crybaby crybaby crybaby

YAY!!!  thumbsup

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 11, 2007, 06:44:55 PM »

Thanks MikeG, great impressions, keep it up please!
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 11, 2007, 06:48:01 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on November 11, 2007, 06:39:17 PM

I'm worried that the more Mikeg plays the less impressed his impressions will be, he's already bumped into the problems we've known about with the brain-dead A.I and funky combat mechanics, and now we're learning of some serious graphical issues beyond a few frame rate stutters. This game needed a few more months in development it sounds like to me.

Color us all shocked since every single solitary post you have had in this thread has had doubts, negativity, or predictions of doom. It's pretty obvious you are predisposed to thinking the game isn't going to be good or that you are going to conclude that it got rushed out or is RPG-lite or something for whatever reason so just own up and move on.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 11, 2007, 07:15:10 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on November 11, 2007, 06:48:01 PM

Color us all shocked since every single solitary post you have had in this thread has had doubts, negativity, or predictions of doom. It's pretty obvious you are predisposed to thinking the game isn't going to be good or that you are going to conclude that it got rushed out or is RPG-lite or something for whatever reason so just own up and move on.

Hey, I was pretty excited for Mass Effect when this K-Mart business came out, too.  But after reading impressions, I've come to the same conclusions as Ridah.  I just think he's looking at the game from a perspective of someone who hasn't been eagerly awaiting the title and won't look at real legitimate complaints about the game.

Not so great combat coupled with bad teammate AI that takes up nearly 50% of the game is a recipe for irritation and frustration, and frankly, has scared me off for the time being.

**edited to add**

I don't mean to rain on anybody's parade, because the game's story is supposedly amazing and if the combat works for some folks, that's great.  I'm just responding to the fact that those who aren't eagerly awaiting the game, and are super hyped up about it may look at the impressions and be turned off.  We all know how you get hyped for a game, read a few negatives and brush them aside because of your excitement.  Looking forward to more impressions...
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 07:17:40 PM by TheMissingLink » Logged

TheMissingLink on PSN
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 11, 2007, 07:21:20 PM »

I think the complaints are legit...you can tell a lot of stuff from all the gameplay videos that have come out recently

having said that, I have no plans to cancel my limited edition order.  Bioware games have all had that underlying layer of imperfection and 'non-polish' in certain ways, but in the end they're great games overall
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 11, 2007, 07:37:34 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on November 11, 2007, 07:15:10 PM

Hey, I was pretty excited for Mass Effect when this K-Mart business came out, too.  But after reading impressions, I've come to the same conclusions as Ridah.  I just think he's looking at the game from a perspective of someone who hasn't been eagerly awaiting the title and won't look at real legitimate complaints about the game.

Not so great combat coupled with bad teammate AI that takes up nearly 50% of the game is a recipe for irritation and frustration, and frankly, has scared me off for the time being.

**edited to add**

I don't mean to rain on anybody's parade, because the game's story is supposedly amazing and if the combat works for some folks, that's great.  I'm just responding to the fact that those who aren't eagerly awaiting the game, and are super hyped up about it may look at the impressions and be turned off.  We all know how you get hyped for a game, read a few negatives and brush them aside because of your excitement.  Looking forward to more impressions...

I see plenty of issues with the game, and have taken in every bit of criticism. But I don't have the game, nor do you, so neither of us know jack shit about the combat and the AI or anything of the sort other than hearsay. Certainly some things Mike has said concern me, other have excited me-but there is a difference between cautious optimism or even cautious pessimism and the sort of defeatist "I know this game is going to suck, and I am reading these impressions in a way that will make my point for me no matter how many positives he throws in" attitude that I think some are approaching this game with. And lets face it-you and at least some others are giving this game the stink-eye because its a hyped up 360 title, and you have somehow decided that its annoying or undeserving for 360 titles to get so much hype (ignoring the decade of hype for everything Nintendo and Sony have touched). It just gets a tad old.

I have no idea how good the game is going to be (or how bad). I will find out when I play it in 10 days. Before then, for me to say "ok, so this combat looks clunk, ANOTHER big 360 dissapointment" would just be pulling stuff out of my ass.
drake113
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 11, 2007, 07:41:46 PM »

I'm not all that worried.  Bear in mind that the game went gold, what?  Two weeks ago?  And it's still not due to officially ship for another 10 days?  That effectively gives Bioware another month of development time to address these issue.  I mean, has anyone recently put in a 360 title on launch day that didn't immediately patch itself?  My guess would be that, come the 20th, Mikeg will be playing a much better game.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: November 11, 2007, 07:59:17 PM »

Quote from: drake113 on November 11, 2007, 07:41:46 PM

I'm not all that worried.  Bear in mind that the game went gold, what?  Two weeks ago?  And it's still not due to officially ship for another 10 days?  That effectively gives Bioware another month of development time to address these issue.  I mean, has anyone recently put in a 360 title on launch day that didn't immediately patch itself?  My guess would be that, come the 20th, Mikeg will be playing a much better game.

I certainly can't remember any of my recent 360 games doing this.  The only times I put in a game and usually have to update is if I put in an original XBox game. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 11, 2007, 08:03:18 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on November 11, 2007, 07:37:34 PM

**edited to add**

I see plenty of issues with the game, and have taken in every bit of criticism. But I don't have the game, nor do you, so neither of us know jack shit about the combat and the AI or anything of the sort other than hearsay. Certainly some things Mike has said concern me, other have excited me-but there is a difference between cautious optimism or even cautious pessimism and the sort of defeatist "I know this game is going to suck, and I am reading these impressions in a way that will make my point for me no matter how many positives he throws in" attitude that I think some are approaching this game with. And lets face it-you and at least some others are giving this game the stink-eye because its a hyped up 360 title, and you have somehow decided that its annoying or undeserving for 360 titles to get so much hype (ignoring the decade of hype for everything Nintendo and Sony have touched). It just gets a tad old.

I have no idea how good the game is going to be (or how bad). I will find out when I play it in 10 days. Before then, for me to say "ok, so this combat looks clunk, ANOTHER big 360 dissapointment" would just be pulling stuff out of my ass.

Last thing I say in this thread (other then a gameplay question or asking for more impressions because that IS what this thread is all about):

Ridah has valid complaints.  Does it belong in an impressions thread?  That's debatable.  But he is responding to impressions, giving his general thoughts so I think it's warranted.  He never once said it was a disappointment in this thread; hell, he even said he wanted it before Veteran's Day.  He said the game may have needed more time in development which can be debated by those fortunate enough to grab it before street date.

Mass Effect deserves the hype, and I don't think anybody is going to argue that.  The game doesn't need people defending it; just let the impressions and reviews speak for the game rather than calling out those who read impressions and feel a little less enthused about the game.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 11, 2007, 08:10:15 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on November 11, 2007, 08:03:18 PM

Quote from: Calvin on November 11, 2007, 07:37:34 PM

**edited to add**

Last thing I say in this thread (other then a gameplay question or asking for more impressions because that IS what this thread is all about):

Ridah has valid complaints.  Does it belong in an impressions thread?  That's debatable.  But he is responding to impressions, giving his general thoughts so I think it's warranted.  He never once said it was a disappointment in this thread; hell, he even said he wanted it before Veteran's Day.  He said the game may have needed more time in development which can be debated by those fortunate enough to grab it before street date.

Mass Effect deserves the hype, and I don't think anybody is going to argue that.  The game doesn't need people defending it; just let the impressions and reviews speak for the game rather than calling out those who read impressions and feel a little less enthused about the game.
I am "calling out" (such a pedestrian phrase) people who I think are raising complaints in an impressions thread because they are predisposed to think something is likely to suck-its that simple. I am not defending the game, I am saying the anti-hype crap is getting old and for people to give the game a fair chance when it comes out. I mean, when you say "...not so great combat coupled with bad teammate AI that takes up 50% of the game has scared me off..." without ever touching the game or playing it is going to get you some doubters. You said similar stuff about Assassin's Creed two weeks ago and now its one of your most anticipated games.

Ehh anyways, sorry to Mike G for the derail and Ridah and I can argue this out in another thread I am sure  slywink
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 11, 2007, 08:46:23 PM »

We love to get tangled up in minutia dont we. Gamers, we're such an opinionated bunch.. nod

Hey, that's my opinion and I'm entitled to it... icon_eek paranoid

Back to the game.................................

Anymore Planets open up to you for exploring? Or are they just eye candy?

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 11, 2007, 09:45:14 PM »

TML, do you accept Paypal payment for your defense services? slywink

I'll have this game on day one regardless of what I hear, but I am definately going to underline my apprehensions about the game so that I don't feel too disappointed when I finally get my hands on it. That being said, I also have nothing more to contribute to this thread until I have more questions about the game or my own impressions.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
nymanium
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 11, 2007, 10:31:20 PM »

After playing some more last night I must say I've having a much better time as the Soldier, it seems to help if you do the combat and let your companions just use a few skills then get knocked out. Though setting a waypoint behind you makes them a bit less likely to run into the middle of a room and get torn apart. So far still really enjoying it, yeah there are some graphic oddities but nothing to detracting, though the game has a grain over it that was really annoying me til I learned I can turn it off.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: November 11, 2007, 11:22:13 PM »

I have not unlocked any more planets.  When you call up a planet it zooms in and you can just read about it, possibly do a survey for minerals, or land and scope it out.  The survey is just a button press and wallah done.  I think that perhaps planets will not be unlocked until they help progress the story.  I hope anyway as I have been to about 4 solar systems and there has only been one planet you can land on in each.

One I landed on, that had nothing to do with meeting some goal in my journal, had a building that I went into and got my ass handed to me by some bad motherf'ers.  I tried at least a dozen times and gave up.  I am thinking I will have to come back to them when I am man enough.  Skills are way too low to deal with em now. 

One thing that I have noticed is that EVERY planet I landed on that was not directly involved in meeting a journal entry (and you get those by talking to people and accepting an assignment or following the main storyline) were layed out exactly the same.  The planets all looked different ofcourse, but on each was three things to go check out- an anomally of some sort, debris, and a building or beacon.  Without exception you will find those three things.  Strange that they would all be the same.  Now, when I go to a planet that is one of the major story movers it is a different scenario altogether.  The one I am on now has a huuuuge structure that I have had at least a dozen encounters on and had to drive my vehicle, the Mako, great distances shooting off my gun and cannon the whole while.  And I mean driving my Make from tower structure to tower stucture on connecting highways between them.  And these highways are so high in the sky you are above the clouds.  This place is big.

My hope is that there will be many more places like this if they are in line with the main theme. 

Oh, and this game is very combat rich.  Not the best shooting mechanic, and I often die trying to zero in on guys, but it is passable for an rpg.  Kind of feels like Splinter Cell made me feel when I pulled my gun.  I seemed to struggle get a bead on a guy.  Being in cover is definitely how the developers meant for you to fight.  So easy to just sit behind cover and place the cursor and then pull the right trigger.  Easy smeasy. 

As for the squad mates, and it has been said before, they usually die or whatever you call it, withing the first 20 seconds of every engagement.  Just recently though I figured out how to tell them to direct fire on a particular bad guy and that has helped, but boy, they all sure seem weak. 

And I am not sure what it is supposed to be but when they go down in a fight they look as dead as a doornob to me, but as soon as I kill the last bad guy up they pop.  Don't particularly care for that.  I would rather it be if I am such a bad commander that they go down, then they are gone for good.  Replay it or go on without em.  But that's how it is, so gotta live with it.

Have played about 6 hours so far and no major plot twists or spectacular revealings.  I'm just hunting down clues or coming to the rescue of colonists in my pursuit of the bad guys. 

One thing I suggest is figure out which of your crew is good at hacking because I have had to pass up probably 20 crates, cabinets, or whatever because when I tried to open them a message popped up saying my skills were to low.  Need to find out who is really good at that and pump up that skill quickly I think.  No telling what I am not finding. 

And after 6 hours I have not figured out how to apply the weapons upgrades that I have been finding.  Can't seem to wrap my mind around how to do that.  Have a feeling that is gonna bite me in the ass later. 

I have probably gotten killed and have had to reload about 20 times.  Battles can be tough.  Like I said, probably my poor commanding and upgrading more than anything.  Luckily you can save anywhere EXCEPT when IN a battle.  Won't let you do that then until things calm down. 

later....

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: November 11, 2007, 11:34:19 PM »

Quote from: nymanium on November 11, 2007, 10:31:20 PM

After playing some more last night I must say I've having a much better time as the Soldier, it seems to help if you do the combat and let your companions just use a few skills then get knocked out. Though setting a waypoint behind you makes them a bit less likely to run into the middle of a room and get torn apart.

That just doesn't seem right. I mean, the AI in Bioware's previous titles (KOTOR, BG, etc) knew how to take care of themselves in a pinch - why not here? Is there some sort of Offensive/Defensive slider or adjustment or something you can mess with to keep them 'alive' longer?

All I know is that seeing my teammates drop constantly will grate on my nerves quickly if it happens that way.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: November 11, 2007, 11:35:59 PM »

Gah, so it looks out they did take out the pause and issue orders with a detached camera mode.  What a loss, that could have made the game a lot more tactical and teammates more useful.  Plus, people don't have to use it, but it would have been nice for people who arne't good at shooters, but are very good at commanding.

Why oh why do all these big 360 games simplify themselves towards the shooter mechanics?
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: November 12, 2007, 12:01:21 AM »

When you call up the weapons or special ability wheels you still see the in game action screen.  Lets take the weapons wheel for instance. You call it up and it shows your available weapons and all those available for each squad made.  By moving the left analog around you can circumvent the wheel and select whichever weapon you want to equip and use.  The wheel is broken up into thirds with yourself and each squad mate getting a third.  So, if you want one of your squad mates to use the sniper rifle on a particular enemy you simply move the wheel pointer in his section to the sniper rifle and press A to equip it, then with the right analog move the shooting reticle (that is frozen in this pause menu) onto the target you want him to snipe and thats that.  You then do the same for your other squad mate and yourself.  When you un-pause the game your squad mates will do that action.  You can rinse and repeat this as often as you wish. 

No, you do not get a third person tacticle view of the battlefield, but you do get a fairly granular control of your squad mates actions. 

Or you can just skip all that and watch them die quickly. 

I am Xboxalot on Live.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 12, 2007, 12:08:10 AM »

Quote from: msduncan on November 11, 2007, 05:43:58 PM

I hate strong release dates.   Why do they do it?   For years half the fun of new games was looking for them around and about as they showed up in stores.

I'm guessing that, in this case, they didn't want to release the game so close to Call of Duty 4's release.  I know ME is an RPG, but they'd obviously like to appeal to the shooter fans as well.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 12, 2007, 12:38:02 AM »

Quote from: mikeg on November 11, 2007, 11:22:13 PM

And I am not sure what it is supposed to be but when they go down in a fight they look as dead as a doornob to me, but as soon as I kill the last bad guy up they pop.  Don't particularly care for that.  I would rather it be if I am such a bad commander that they go down, then they are gone for good.  Replay it or go on without em.  But that's how it is, so gotta live with it.

Bioware has done this since the original KOTOR...squad mates get 'knocked down' but aren't actually dead.  as you've noticed, they come back to life as soon as the last enemy is defeated.  i'm pretty sure bioware's reasoning for doing this is that it allows party NPCs to play a major role in the story without you having to worry about keeping them alive all the time (or implementing some unexplainable 'resurrection' power).  as long as the main character survives, everyone else is along for the ride.  after seeing it at work in several games, i don't really mind anymore.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: November 12, 2007, 12:56:54 AM »

Oh, okay.  This is the first rpg I have gotten this far into, so I was unaware.  I have NEVER, and I mean, NEVER liked rpgs.  Not sure if I can hang with even this one, but if this one can't keep me hooked then no rpg can.  This is the best I have attempted to date. 

So, please take my impressions with that grain of salt as I am NOT the biggest fan of the genre. 

I am Xboxalot on Live.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: November 12, 2007, 01:02:04 AM »

Quote from: Lockdown on November 11, 2007, 03:21:10 AM

Mike:  What is the game 'manual' like?  Is it sufficient in explaining the various character classes, and myriad skill choices, combat mechanics, etc...?   I wonder if this game will have a strategy guide and if so, how it will sell.

Sorry, I missed this one.  The manual is 33 pages.  Kinda of short actually.  Gives virtually no detailed description of classes.  Just one liners.  Don't count on it for much help.

Here is the table of contents:
2  Mass Effect Universe
2 Getting Started
3  Character Creation
6 Playing the Game
10  Galaxy Map
12 Combat Details
17 Equipment
19 Squad Data
21  Uncharted Worlds
22 Vehicle
24 Talents
28 Expand Your Universe Online
29 Credits
32 Limited Warranty
33 Xbox Customer Support

That's it.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 12, 2007, 01:26:39 AM »

Quote from: Arclight on November 11, 2007, 08:46:23 PM

We love to get tangled up in minutia dont we. Gamers, we're such an opinionated bunch.. nod

Hey, that's my opinion and I'm entitled to it... icon_eek paranoid

it's all mikeg's fault!!!!  if he hadn't gotten the game early we'd all still be one big happy Brady Bunch!

ban

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: