http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 11:02:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mass Effect Impressions  (Read 33883 times)
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #440 on: April 10, 2008, 03:43:53 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 10, 2008, 03:34:26 PM

OK, so last night I grabbed the DLC (I had 400 points that have been sitting around forever and heard the DLC will not be included in the PC version but would be available seperately at some point) and started a new game.  For giggles I decided to use my old career for the new game, and was surprised to see it start everyone off at level 50 but it seems like the game doesn't up the difficulty or give you an option to change it before starting, so I'm not seeing the benefit of them letting you replay using your old character unless you just want to breeze through the game.  Am I missing something?

You can change the difficulty on the fly in-game (I upped the difficulty once i got overleveled from doing sidequests).  If you are going for a difficulty achievement I think you only have until the end of the tutorial mission to change it, though I'm not even sure if you can get the achievement if you're doing New Game+. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #441 on: April 10, 2008, 03:56:20 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on April 10, 2008, 03:43:53 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on April 10, 2008, 03:34:26 PM

OK, so last night I grabbed the DLC (I had 400 points that have been sitting around forever and heard the DLC will not be included in the PC version but would be available seperately at some point) and started a new game.  For giggles I decided to use my old career for the new game, and was surprised to see it start everyone off at level 50 but it seems like the game doesn't up the difficulty or give you an option to change it before starting, so I'm not seeing the benefit of them letting you replay using your old character unless you just want to breeze through the game.  Am I missing something?

You can change the difficulty on the fly in-game (I upped the difficulty once i got overleveled from doing sidequests).  If you are going for a difficulty achievement I think you only have until the end of the tutorial mission to change it, though I'm not even sure if you can get the achievement if you're doing New Game+. 

I forgot about that.  Anyways, after reading the end of this article I'm going to leave my old character alone until ME2 comes out.  From the article:

The implications of these systems become even more important because the choices players make while playing Mass Effect have been tracked, said Karpyshyn. That data will be incorporated when gamers play Mass Effect 2, already well into production at BioWare.

“All that data is stored in a way that we can grab it,” said Karypyshyn. “We can bring characters back, assuming they are still alive because you might have killed them off.”

Depending on a player's choices in the first game, explained Hudson, some civilizations in Mass Effect 2 may be different for each individual, “but I think the more important changes are the personal ones where maybe halfway through the next game you'll realize – on a very intimate and personal level – that a choice you made in the first game affected somebody in the second game.”

But the Plot Manager can only do so much. “It's actually too complex to plot out on a whiteboard,” Hudson explained.

While it can't convey the finer details of the plot, it does give you is a good high-level overview, said Karpyshyn.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #442 on: April 10, 2008, 04:00:11 PM »

Wow, it's great to read confirmation that they would indeed be incorporation those decisions into the sequel.

I'd like some clarification about whether it can determine which playthrough you want to import before I did New Game+.  However, my next playthrough will almost certainly be the PC version so it shouldn't matter. 

Of course that creates an interesting wrinkle, but I wonder if it would be possible to import a 360 playthrough into a PC version of Mass Effect 2 and vice versa.  I think I want my first runthrough decisions on the 360 to stand for any sequel but if by some miracle there was a simultaneous release of the sequel on PC then I might opt for that version. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #443 on: April 11, 2008, 01:25:28 AM »

ok, I went back and reloaded my save game from the very end of my playthrough and made a different choice at the end of the game.  then I went to New Game and chose to pick an existing career and it listed 2 different careers-  the one ended last year and the one just ended, so it may give you a list of playthroughs to choose from.

Because I can,
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #444 on: October 17, 2008, 04:07:02 PM »

Well, I am definitely late to the party.  While I purchased Mass Effect right at release, I've only recently gotten around to taking off the plastic wrapper and actually loading up the game.  I have about 10 hours in so far, and my impressions up to this point have been:  icon_eek

At first I thought that the graphics, while impressive, were rather grainy and unclear.  I'd find myself fixating on the graininess of the picture instead of the dialogue and surrounding imagery.  It wasn't until I had already put in four or five hours that I discovered that there is a grainy film filter that defaults to "on", and if you turn it off the graphics look much better.  Crisp, clean, detailed, and I continue to be impressed with all I see.  The facial textures and details are unbelievable.  There have been times when I'd just wander up to a railing just to look around at the surrounding scenery.   

Up until last night I had been at the Citadel doing every sidequest and mission I could find.  But, as time wore on I started to long for a chance to leave the Citadel and explore new locales.  And after about 9 hours I completed the Citadel, earned my ship, and left for my first planet, Noveria.  The game is very cinematic, and being a movie junkie, this appeals to me.  I like how the dialogue plays out and I enjoy tempering my responses based on the situation.  One of my favorite moments so far was giving my speech to the crew of my ship.  It almost game me chills.  I am also psyched about my new status with the council. 

I've really been into the story so far.  I also really like the graphics, sound (ambient sounds are really cool with a surround sound system), and music.  But one of my main complaints is the inventory system.  It is really difficult to navigate and fairly unclear.  I'm starting to get a better handle on the rest of the menu system, but equipment has been a struggle to manage.  I also don't like the lack of clarity of objectives.  When I start a quest I get a brief statement of where I'm supposed to go, but then I have to find it by wandering around, and if I'm not in the correct area or on the right level my objective doesn't show up on my map.  The map system of Oblivion was a little more managable as I could at least get an idea for where I had to go.  But Mass Effect doesn't seem to have a big-area map, just an area map for your immediate surroundings.  Sometimes objectives or contacts are difficult to find.

I've already had some memorable moments, such as landing on Noveria and pulling our guns on the customs officials.  They attempted to take our weapons and in response we drew our weapons and stood at the ready.  Sheppard said not to start any trouble, and one of my teammates said, "Why not?" in a tone that just oozed with confidence and a cool interest in fighting for fun.  I couldn't help but laugh.  Yeah, bitch.  He's with me.  I also felt a sense of pride during the council ceremony when I became the first human to be granted Spectre status.  The storyline has been pretty F-ing cool so far.  And I find myself thinking about the storyline while at work, and I even don't want to shoot pool too late tonight if there is a chance that I could have some time when I get home to play Mass Effect for a few more hours.  I'll certainly watch a movie with my wife if she wants to, but if not then I can certainly see myself loading up Mass Effect.  Great stuff so far. 

Overall I'm loving the game, and while I started to have some fun with Force Unleashed, Mass Effect has just really grabbed me with its imagery, story, gameplay, etc.  I'm glad that I finally loaded it up and I hope to finish it before Fallout 3 comes out and takes up all of my gaming time.  Yeah, I still have Bioshock, GTAIV, and a number of other games to finish, but there's just something about Mass Effect that grabbed me from the start and it's keeping my interest more than some of my other titles.  And I thought I'd be playing GTAIV obsessively until I finished it, but Mass Effect has been surprisingly good so far.         

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #445 on: October 17, 2008, 04:47:48 PM »

Saw you playing that last night.  It's definitely a good game but not as good as it could have been.

When the story starts to pick up it gets really good.  Definitely worth seeing through to the end.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #446 on: October 17, 2008, 04:54:03 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on October 17, 2008, 04:47:48 PM

Saw you playing that last night.  It's definitely a good game but not as good as it could have been.

When the story starts to pick up it gets really good.  Definitely worth seeing through to the end.

Fortunately because I'm getting around to it so late I'm completely oblivious to the hype that initially surrounded the game.  It has been so long since the game was released that I have no expectations.  There were many complaints surrounding Oblivion and yet I managed to put over 135 hours into it and still have the Dark Brotherhood to finish.  While Mass Effect may not live up to the high expectations originally surrounding the game, so far I've been rather pleased.  Outside of hearing how others have really enjoyed it, I'm just looking for a fun, memorable experience, and so far I've been really enjoying it. 

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #447 on: October 17, 2008, 04:58:12 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on October 17, 2008, 04:54:03 PM

Outside of hearing how others have really enjoyed it, I'm just looking for a fun, memorable experience, and so far I've been really enjoying it. 

It only gets better as it goes along so if you're enjoying it now you'll be golden all the way through. 
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #448 on: October 17, 2008, 04:58:48 PM »

I wish somebody could patch in the combat and loot system from Too Human into Mass Effect. 

I loved the story, setting, and exploration mechanics of Mass Effect, but the combat and horrible inventory system made me stop playing it.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #449 on: October 17, 2008, 05:04:28 PM »

I played all the way through, but there were way too many moments I was taken out of the immersion due to framerate hiccups and even random momentary freezes during cutscenes. If Bioware could what Square does in it's RPGs with CGI cutscenes, it would have been awesome.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #450 on: October 17, 2008, 05:24:17 PM »

Pete, did you grab the DLC for ME?  it adds on a new asteroid/mission line.

Because I can,
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #451 on: October 17, 2008, 05:27:30 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 17, 2008, 05:24:17 PM

Pete, did you grab the DLC for ME?  it adds on a new asteroid/mission line.

Not yet.  I never picked up Shivering Isles for Oblivion as it took me so damn long to finish the disc content and I never thought I'd get around to the DLC, and since I only started Mass Effect recently I didn't even consider adding the DLC as I haven't even played the regular game yet.  And usually by the time I complete a game I rarely have much interest in extending the experience with "more of the same."  I usually play the everloving hell out of a game that DLC rarely interests me.  Unless it's a must-have addition.

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #452 on: October 17, 2008, 06:28:06 PM »

The DLC becomes obselete once you pass a certain point...so be aware of that.

I'd recommend it as it's cheap, only adds about an extra hour or so, and features the biggest firefight of the game.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #453 on: October 17, 2008, 06:32:56 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on October 17, 2008, 06:28:06 PM

The DLC becomes obselete once you pass a certain point...so be aware of that.

I didn't even realize that.

I'd recommend it as it's cheap, only adds about an extra hour or so, and features the biggest firefight of the game.

The firefight sounds intriguing.

Can someone refresh my memory on something?  I remember people complaining that one of the worlds early in the game was horribly difficult and many suggested that you wait to visit it later once you've leveled up a bit more.  But, for the life of me I can't remember where.  Right now I'm on Noveria and it's the first world I've visited since the Citadel.

Does anyone else remember certain locations being too difficult to tackle early-on until you've leveled up your character a bit more?  I'm trying to avoid having another Kvatch incident from Oblivion. 

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #454 on: October 17, 2008, 06:45:35 PM »

I don't recall any planets being that tough. I think some of the reocmmendations were to go to a certain planet first to round out the crew.

I could be wrong.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #455 on: October 17, 2008, 11:49:21 PM »

There are difficult fights at the end of both Noveria and Artemis Tau, so I would assume it's one of those.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #456 on: October 18, 2008, 01:50:53 AM »

Quote from: EddieA on October 17, 2008, 11:49:21 PM

There are difficult fights at the end of both Noveria and Artemis Tau, so I would assume it's one of those.

i went to Noveria as my first major planet, and the final fight there was one of my biggest challenges during the game.  i did figure out a good strategy after a couple attempts that allowed me to move past that point though.  i guess going to one of the other planets first could be helpful, but it's by no means impossible or excessively difficult to complete that planet early in the game.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #457 on: October 18, 2008, 06:15:17 AM »

Sadly, I have no idea what occured on what planet. That's how unimpressed I was overall with the game (and I mean that as in it left little to no lasting impression on me, not that I didn't like it).

I still remember moments from both KOTORs that are burned into my brain.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #458 on: October 18, 2008, 02:53:23 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on October 17, 2008, 11:49:21 PM

if those two are the ones that involve two different alien women (once you're out of the citadel you've already got quests for them so being vague isn't giving much away) I have to agree those were tough on my first playthrough.  On my second one I did all the sidequests available before doing the main storyline worlds and those fights were far easier.

Because I can,
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #459 on: October 18, 2008, 03:33:50 PM »

I'll tell you which planet to hit first and why.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Artemis Tau has a party member, so go there first.  I used this party member for the entire rest of the game.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #460 on: January 02, 2009, 04:27:25 PM »

To kick of the new year right I finally finished Mass Effect yesterday as my first completed game of 2009.  As I am a completion whore I went to each and every planet and completed every single side quest.  The planets not directly related to the storyline certainly became repetitive after a while, especially near the end of the game (land, visit three important locations, stumble upon random mineral outcrops, lather, rinse, repeat ad nauseum).  But, I did encounter the occasional interesting storyline in my travels, so while the cookie cutter layout grew a little tiresome late in the game, I still don't feel any regret for having done every side quest.  Perhaps less planets would have helped with the repetitive feel, but then the game would have been far shorter.  I'd be okay with that as the side planets got to be a little boring after a while, but it was still cool to see some amazing planet systems.  The galaxy map on the Normandy was visually stunning and gorgeous to navigate.  When the credits rolled I had logged right around 38 hours of game time. 

I absolutely loved the dialogue interface.  It felt seamless and very cinematic, and the character facial animations were absolutely stunning.  And there is something to be said about a game that causes you to actually care about the characters.  I first experienced this in Call of Duty 4, and Mass Effect actually took it one step further as I really felt like I had a vested interest in my entire crew (as the game went on I actually started to feel like they were my crew).  Each character had such a distinct personality and dialogue was delivered so well that animated characters were brought to life with real emotion and conviction in their voices.  I really enjoyed the side conversations I had with the crew following important missions, and the game's overall storyline was well written and it really came together to form a coherent, interesting, exciting sci-fi story.  While some story elements were a bit cliché, overall the action was exciting, the suspense was palpable, success never felt guaranteed, and when the game came to a close I felt like I had experienced an epic science fiction adventure that spanned an entire galaxy.

I am very pleased with my experience and feel a great sense of accomplishment having finally completed the game.  While there are plenty of achievement points still for the taking, I doubt I'll play through the game again as part of the adventure was not knowing what was going to happen next (I rarely play story-driven games more than once), but the journey was well worth the 40-hours of effort and dedication.  As I was never really a fan of RPGs prior to experiencing Oblivion, so far my experiences with action RPGs like Oblivion and Mass Effect have been some of the most memorable gaming experiences I've ever had.  It is certainly saying something that I felt compelled to play Mass Effect all the way through to completion.  While many (i.e. Starshifter) would urge me to go back to finish KOTOR because of the interesting story, I need to actually feel compelled to go on.  I didn't enjoy playing KOTOR, as the story was fun, but I despised the gameplay.  Oblivion and Mass Effect not only had great storylines, but I really enjoyed the gameplay far more than RPG games like KOTOR.

And now that I've finished two epic RPGs (Oblivion in 2008, and now Mass Effect in 2009), I can now invest more time into Fallout 3 as I no longer feel like I have older RPGs hanging in the background waiting to be completed.  It feels good to have finally finished Mass Effect, and I definitely enjoyed the ride.  I now will be looking forward to the sequel.   icon_biggrin   

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #461 on: January 02, 2009, 04:35:53 PM »

I just started this again after not finishing it the first time.  I picked a different gender this time and it is really distracting how the facial animations are exactly the same - the same head tilt, the same arm gesture, the same lip movement, etc.  It really shows how all that could be slapped on any character.

I am enjoying it a lot more this time though.  Perhaps I am just more ready for the story after Fallout 3's sparse landscape.  I like having a team, interactions, etc.  I still wish I could bring up VATS but I certainly like the rich world.

Quote from: PeteRock on January 02, 2009, 04:27:25 PM

I absolutely loved the dialogue interface.  It felt seamless and very cinematic, and the character facial animations were absolutely stunning.  And there is something to be said about a game that causes you to actually care about the characters. 

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #462 on: January 02, 2009, 04:39:16 PM »

absolutely loved the dialogue interface.  It felt seamless and very cinematic, and the character facial animations were absolutely stunning.

Totally agree with all your assessments.  Still in my top 5 games on the 360.  And I agree about the dialogue and facial animations.  Best in any game in any genre to date.  Period.

I sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo wish Bethesda would hire those people or learn to do it as well since their games have sooooo much dialogue in them and their animations are pathetic in comparison.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 04:40:52 PM by mikeg » Logged

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #463 on: January 02, 2009, 04:44:23 PM »

Yeah, the dialogue, animation, and dynamic camera was IMO pretty revolutionary for the genre.  It's the first time that an RPG has managed to imbue a conversation system with the same dramatic feeling you get from a well shot dialogue scene in a film or movie.  Frankly, I'm worried that it will be hard to go back to the silent protagonist that Dragon Age utilizes. 
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #464 on: January 02, 2009, 04:53:04 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on January 02, 2009, 04:35:53 PM

I just started this again after not finishing it the first time.  I picked a different gender this time and it is really distracting how the facial animations are exactly the same - the same head tilt, the same arm gesture, the same lip movement, etc.  It really shows how all that could be slapped on any character.

I am enjoying it a lot more this time though.  Perhaps I am just more ready for the story after Fallout 3's sparse landscape.  I like having a team, interactions, etc.  I still wish I could bring up VATS but I certainly like the rich world.

Quote from: PeteRock on January 02, 2009, 04:27:25 PM

I absolutely loved the dialogue interface.  It felt seamless and very cinematic, and the character facial animations were absolutely stunning.  And there is something to be said about a game that causes you to actually care about the characters. 

Just make sure to tour the Normandy and speak with all of your crew following important missions as you really start to develop virtual relationships because of those conversations.  If you tear through the storyline I think you'll miss what really makes the game shine.  Character interactions take the story to another level as relationships are forged and you start to care more about story developments as they impact the lives of your own crew.

Quote from: mikeg on January 02, 2009, 04:39:16 PM

Totally agree with all your assessments.  Still in my top 5 games on the 360.  And I agree about the dialogue and facial animations.  Best in any game in any genre to date.  Period.

I enjoyed Mass Effect more than Oblivion and I would agree that it was one of the best games I've played in quite some time.  It really took role-playing to another level.  Unfortunatley the dialogue system was done so well that now I find myself preferring it when playing other games, namely Fallout 3.  The dialogue system in Fallout 3 seems so archaic now that I've played through Mass Effect.  As many would love to use the VATS system in other RPG games, I'd love to have the dialogue system of Mass Effect in other RPGs.

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #465 on: January 02, 2009, 05:14:36 PM »

Did you end up getting the expansion content, Pete?
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #466 on: January 02, 2009, 05:18:49 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on January 02, 2009, 05:14:36 PM

"Bring Down the Sky"?

Yep.  Although I didn't find it to be all that compelling or interesting.  It kind of felt like all of the other cookie-cutter planets with a bit more story thrown in.  I really liked the main story, but most of the extra content felt repetitive and uninspired.  Unfortunately "Bring Down the Sky" kind of felt thrown-together as well.  I enjoyed it, but I was a bit disappointed that I had to pay for it.

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #467 on: January 02, 2009, 08:41:50 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on January 02, 2009, 05:18:49 PM

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on January 02, 2009, 05:14:36 PM

"Bring Down the Sky"?

Yep.  Although I didn't find it to be all that compelling or interesting.  It kind of felt like all of the other cookie-cutter planets with a bit more story thrown in.  I really liked the main story, but most of the extra content felt repetitive and uninspired.  Unfortunately "Bring Down the Sky" kind of felt thrown-together as well.  I enjoyed it, but I was a bit disappointed that I had to pay for it.

Agreed. Wish the main game had had larger firefights like those in BDtS, tho.
Windows95
Gaming Trend Reader

Uses only Genuine Microsoft Software!

View Profile
« Reply #468 on: January 02, 2009, 10:42:16 PM »

I just picked up Mass Effect on Steam and I’m loving it.  Getting very close to the end after having spent a somewhat frightening but fun 28 hours with the game.  I borrowed a friend’s copy for the 360 shortly after launch, but I never got interested in it.  I think because the game does such a piss poor job of explaining how it works that it seemed both overwhelming and dull.  On my second attempt though I got past the initial learning curve and easily feel this is one of the best games, let alone RPGs, that I’ve played.

Only annoyance is that the BDtS content is currently borked with the Steam version, but Bioware says it should be fixed shortly.  Oh well, give me an excuse to go through the game again.

16-bit and loving it!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #469 on: January 03, 2009, 01:24:41 AM »

congratulations!

now you can join the rest of us in waiting for any morsel of information about Mass Effect 2.

I doubt it will be this year since they are releasing Dragon Age: Origins for the consoles this fall, and with no real info out yet a spring 2009 release seems to be pretty unlikely.

Because I can,
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #470 on: January 05, 2009, 04:52:46 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 03, 2009, 01:24:41 AM

congratulations!

now you can join the rest of us in waiting for any morsel of information about Mass Effect 2.

I doubt it will be this year since they are releasing Dragon Age: Origins for the consoles this fall, and with no real info out yet a spring 2009 release seems to be pretty unlikely.

I won't be on that bandwagon this time. Mass Effect was probably my most anticipated game of all time (Doom2 is probably a close second) and it really let me down.  It was a solid solid game that I'm happy I played, but it was a B game at the most.  It wasn't what I was hoping it would be and it never sucked me in like the KOTOR games.

I'll definitely play 2....but I won't be drooling over it.
somoflange
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #471 on: January 06, 2009, 08:27:02 PM »

I'm pretty late to the party with Mass Effect, but I have to admit I'm not seeing where the love comes from. I like it, but it is one of the glitchiest games I've seen. The framerate slowdowns and screen tearing is the worst I've seen this generation, and sadly copying to hard drive doesn't help much.

That said, the gameplay is great, and the dialogue is great. I like the speech system with a very abbreviated version of what you'll say, with ranking by intent. It works well, and is fun to watch unfold.

I love the fact that you have to make life or death choices with real consequences, the RPG aspect is nearly flawless.

I just wish they would have tuned down the visuals a few notches so it can run smoothly. Nothing breaks a shooter like massive frame loss while moving from one cover object to the next.

PSN: plantatreeforlee
Live: blastdsamoflanj
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #472 on: January 06, 2009, 09:18:08 PM »

Quote from: somoflange on January 06, 2009, 08:27:02 PM

I'm pretty late to the party with Mass Effect, but I have to admit I'm not seeing where the love comes from.

I love the fact that you have to make life or death choices with real consequences, the RPG aspect is nearly flawless.

I think that many can look past the visual issues and love the RPG aspects.

Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #473 on: January 07, 2009, 06:24:15 PM »

I'm in my January "I've gotten bored with the games that came out October/November" mood. I had gotten Mass Effect when it first came out for the 360, but I was playing so many other games then (especially COD4) that I never was able to develop an interest in it. I traded it in after a month (got a good deal on the trade in  icon_biggrin). Now I think I'm ready to go give it a try again.

I've looked through the comments above, especially Pete's comments about talking to all the crew after missions, something I never bothered with. Any other suggestions about how to "get into" the game?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 06:26:10 PM by Roscoe » Logged

XBL gamertag: jztemple
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #474 on: January 07, 2009, 06:46:38 PM »

Quote from: Roscoe on January 07, 2009, 06:24:15 PM

I've looked through the comments above, especially Pete's comments about talking to all the crew after missions, something I never bothered with. Any other suggestions about how to "get into" the game?

I think what really helped me with the immersion was speaking with each and every character who offered some level of interaction.  And once in the dialogue tree I would always select "investigate" to open up even more options of conversation.  While the additional information rarely added much to mission objectives or the main storyline, it really helped to make the game feel more "alive."  I think interaction with the various characters you encounter through the game is what really facilitates immersion into the game.

But I would say that it is most important to interact with your crew following each mission.  You really start to form virtual relationships with them and it adds a much stronger personal element to missions and story arcs.  For example, there is one particular mission that involves Garrus's past, and when I first went through the mission I inadvertantly left him on board the Normandy.  When I interacted with him following the mission he was pretty upset that I left him out.  I actually felt guilty enough about my oversight that I reloaded the mission and made sure he was invited to come along.  Every character has a detailed past.  And every story is quite interesting and worth discovering.  Having learned more about Urdnot Wrex and also going through his associated missions really made earning his respect that much more meaningful.  And developing relationships with the rest of the crew as well really adds to the weight of decisions you must make later.

The combat really isn't all that advanced (if you level up everyone's shotguns and use special rounds like incendiary bullets or chemical rounds you can wreak havoc on enemies - and the effects are pretty effing cool), but it's entertaining enough to not get too tedious.  I think the true meat of the game is character interaction (like Oblivion - I can't say like Fallout 3 because VATS really adds to the combat in that game).  But I still found firefights to be fun and worth experiencing, especially when I saw the effects of incendiary rounds or chemical rounds, and unlike others I really didn't mind operating the vehicle, but planet exploration gets a little repetitive late in the game.  But, unlike Oblivion, the main storyline in Mass Effect is well worth experiencing right to the very end.  I felt that the side quests in Oblivion were more compelling than the main storyline, but in Mass Effect the main story is rather good and it really comes together well in the end. 

But that isn't to say that side quests in Mass Effect aren't worth doing.  I did every last thing in the game and each and every experience was worth the diversion.  I'd say that it really isn't all that important to explore every planet you can land on, but I'd strongly recommend doing any side quests you encounter and definitely speak with the crew following important missions (I don't think dialogue options changed after side quests, but crew members had a fair bit to say following main storyline missions, and every interaction is worth experiencing).   

Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #475 on: January 07, 2009, 06:50:11 PM »

Thanks Pete. You definitely sold me on getting the game again!

XBL gamertag: jztemple
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #476 on: January 07, 2009, 06:58:39 PM »

Push to get out of the Citadel ASAP.  That portion of the game seems to be the sticking point for most. 
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #477 on: January 07, 2009, 07:06:36 PM »

Quote from: Roscoe on January 07, 2009, 06:50:11 PM

Thanks Pete. You definitely sold me on getting the game again!

Keep in mind that the combat will develop slowly.  In the beginning you'll be stuck with a pistol.  But, over time you will find new weapons and associated upgrades that really improve upon the combat system.  You might even want to dial back the combat difficulty in the beginning as some firefights can be pretty frustrating.  But once you have better armor and more effective weapons you can go back to the normal difficulty setting.  

Unfortunately one problem I had with the game is the unclear menu system.  Over time I learned how to set up upgrades on my weapons, how to buy or sell items, and how to outfit my team, but it took a bit of time as the system is far from intuitive.  But give it a chance, because once you understand how the menu system works you can then focus on the many other fantastic attributes of the game.  And while you'll find so much unnecessary information, the developers really put a lot of story and information into the game.  

I'll be honest.  I didn't use squad commands at all.  I just made sure to level up my weapons and I always took the lead in a firefight and I rarely came out with any major damage.  The top-end shotgun with incendiary rounds was my weapon of choice, and I never grew tired of watching enemies vaporize into a shower of glowing ashes.  I outfitted my other two team members with shotguns as well, but one had chemical rounds and one had freezing rounds.  They also offered fun death effects as well.   icon_twisted

If you blow through the storyline you really miss what makes this game shine, and that is interaction with your crew.  As their commander you should have a vested interest in those serving your cause, and Mass Effect really facilitates developing relationships with these people who have sworn to serve you in your quest to track down Saren.  The more you get to know them, the more you actually care about saving the galaxy and keeping your crew alive.  In games like Halo the soldiers fighting alongside you are nameless meatshields uttering amusing one-liners before littering the battlefield with organic fertillizer.  Mass Effect is designed in such a way that your crew actually matters to you, not just in terms of playing the role of Shepherd, but they start to matter to you as a person.  These characters have emotional scars, religious beliefs, inner struggles, reputations, and thoughts on your actions as their commander.  They react to you, they have opinions about you, and rather than simply being their leader out of rank, you become their leader out of action and you feel as if you actually earn their support rather than simply demand it.

The dialogue system is quite cinematic as well.  It feels almost as if you are experiencing a movie in which you are a key character rather than simply running from room to room blowing up enemies.  Mass Effect has personality (actually, it has a number of personalities), and it is more an experience than just a game you play for fun.  I think you'll enjoy it.  If you enjoyed the COD4 SP campaign and felt like you had just started to develop relationships with some of the main characters, then imagine that experience ramped up ten-fold.      

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #478 on: January 07, 2009, 07:11:18 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on January 07, 2009, 06:58:39 PM

Push to get out of the Citadel ASAP.  That portion of the game seems to be the sticking point for most. 

I actually played through every last mission in the Citadel before venturing out into the galaxy.  While I am a completion whore, I still felt compelled to really understand the galactic government and learn all I could before traveling out into space.  And when I finally did leave the Citadel, all I could think was  icon_eek.

But I can see how others quickly lost interest in the Citadel portion of the game, and if you start to feel as if things are getting repetitive, hop on the Normandy and you'll soon learn just how much more is out there.  It can almost be overwhelming at first.

Oh, one other suggestion.  This was the first game that I actually took notes on.  While it sounds a little silly, there are so many star clusters to visit that you quickly forget about where you've already been, and due to loading times it really sucks to visit places you've already completed.  I would write down every star cluster as a heading in my notes and then list the planet groupings within each star cluster once I completed all associated missions in those areas.  Later in the game if I wasn't sure if I visited a place already I'd check my notes and I'd quickly know the answer without having to revisit places I had already been to.  This alone will save you a lot of wasted time.

Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #479 on: January 07, 2009, 07:17:43 PM »

I would wager a guess that most people do not play games like Mass Effect the way I do.  My approach is slow and methodical.  Epic in style.  I talk to everyone.  I take my time and see everything and do all this from a role playing perspective (that's the important point).  For example, I'm leading my party through the Citadel and we cross the bridge over the lake and I will stop there and admire the scenery and then talk to my party members.  I imagine the main character as myself and it is what I would do if I were there.  This is how I get so much enjoyment and memorable moments out of a game like Mass Effect.  I live it.  I don't play it.  Heck, I spent countless hours of real time just wandering around the Citadel before I ever decided to leave it.  I loved it.

Most people don't approach games this way.  They want to get off the Citadel quickly.  They don't want to enjoy listening to their party members conversations during the elevator rides.  They want to skip cutscenes.  They won't take the time to stop and talk to an NPC passerby at Citadel Station or on a planet.  They won't pause briefly to observe those strange gas bag creatures and wonder about their origin.  They won't ponder what the life of that long dead mummified Saurian they found on some uncharted world was like.  I will do all this.  It's what makes the game come alive to me.  It's almost as if I'm really there when playing an epic game like this.

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: