http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 05:13:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mass Effect Impressions: Release Day Edition  (Read 22406 times)
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: November 26, 2007, 09:37:54 PM »

Quote from: kathode on November 26, 2007, 09:30:01 PM

Framerate - Really rough.  Sometimes it seems to drop in the middle of a cutscene when I'm looking at my own head.  Weird. 

I actually think I saw a frame drop while reading the Codex....

I was talking to Garrus on the ship and wanted to give him a gentle rebuke, but ended up whipping out a classic "collar-grab" maneuver and shouting at him. 

Did you select a dialogue option on the lower part of the screen? 

Good writeup though I can't help but say that four out of five of those were issues I had with a high profile 360 RPG released last year (and replace planets with dungeons and you're five for five).... Kidding! icon_wink  (well, not competely they were serious issues that bothered me in Oblivion but I loved it anyway). 
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: November 26, 2007, 09:50:08 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 26, 2007, 04:35:54 PM

So, I'm about 30 hours in and at Lvl 38 (max is 50 on first playthrough) and doing my third post Citadel world.  I'm absolutely in love with the game and think it's by far Bioware's best since BG2.

Thanks for the awesome tips Kevin, I didn't know some of that stuff and I will keep it in mind-thanks for taking the time to write it up.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: November 26, 2007, 09:51:45 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on November 26, 2007, 08:17:04 PM

Quote from: Arkon on November 26, 2007, 08:09:44 PM

So who has everyone been romancing?  I am really torn, I think my character truly would be in love with Ashley, but her being a fellow soldier, I think my character would frown upon fraternization, so he will likely be pursuing Liara instead, he is so torn...

Ashley lost me with the whole God bit.  Liara it is, blue head and all.

I wouldn't discriminate against blue head...  icon_cool

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: November 26, 2007, 10:10:33 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 26, 2007, 09:37:54 PM

Nah IIRC it was the "good" option.  Shepherd basically said "This is my ship and my rules so you're going to be good to people!  Do the job right, not fast."  Something along those lines.  Every once in a while I get one like that that surprises me.

Good writeup though I can't help but say that four out of five of those were issues I had with a high profile 360 RPG released last year (and replace planets with dungeons and you're five for five).... Kidding! icon_wink  (well, not competely they were serious issues that bothered me in Oblivion but I loved it anyway).

smile  I knew that was coming, but I didn't want to try to compare them directly.  I still think that Mass Effect is not a true "open world" game.  I think it is a game where you can choose which mission (from a large number of choices, admittedly) to tackle next, which while laudable, is not the same as a game where you can really wander aimlessly.  This game doesn't have a day/night cycle, doesn't have NPCs on schedules running in the background, and they don't have to worry about seamlessly loading two completely seperate huge chunks of the world depending on whether the player goes left or right at any point.  90%+ of the areas in this game are strictly linear levels.  And I would put an Oblivion random dungeon up against a ME random planet any day of the week.  I'd even submit to a minigame standoff at high noon slywink

...aaand out comes the chip on my shoulder slywink  I'm sure they had their own very frustrating technical and design issues that they masterfully dealt with in genius ways I would never think of.  I fully expect to have anything negative I throw out come full circle and then some once Fallout ships icon_lol
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: November 26, 2007, 10:22:51 PM »

Quote from: kathode on November 26, 2007, 10:10:33 PM

...aaand out comes the chip on my shoulder slywink  I'm sure they had their own very frustrating technical and design issues that they masterfully dealt with in genius ways I would never think of.  I fully expect to have anything negative I throw out come full circle and then some once Fallout ships icon_lol

Yeah, I certainly didn't mean anything by it but while I hope that Fallout resolves the technical issues that Oblivion had, I expect the same to be true for ME2.  Amazingly, ME2 will be the first Bioware internally developed sequel they have done since 2000 (barring Jade Empire 2 hopping on the scene next year).  Hopefully they'll raid Ubiosoft's GRAW and R6 teams and maybe fly some Epic guys up to look at the engine (too bad EA doesn't have any really good tactical shooters that I can think of).

But I do think it speaks to a larger point that is making me frustrated with ME's reception- since when are Western RPGs known for technical proficiency and and polish?  Every major Western RPG I can think of in the past five or so years (NWN 1&2, KOTOR 1&2, Morrowind, Oblivion, Dungeon Siege, Vampire Bloodlines, ToEE, Gothic 2&3, The Witcher) has all of these issues in droves, especially in any console incarnations (The Witcher may actually be the smoothest experience of any of these but it still has it's issues).  In that pantheon, I think ME is actually one of the smoother experiences. So I think it's a weird sort of double standard to expect these to be absent in Mass Effect.  I'd like to see it improved across the board but I don't see any reason to single out this game for the sins of a genre. 
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: November 26, 2007, 10:37:09 PM »

Quote from: kathode on November 26, 2007, 09:30:01 PM

Framerate - Really rough.  Sometimes it seems to drop in the middle of a cutscene when I'm looking at my own head.  Weird. 

I actually think I saw a frame drop while reading the Codex....

believe it or not,i saw frame rate drop while the end credits were going up(blue writing on a black background)!!

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Kratz
« Reply #206 on: November 26, 2007, 10:42:09 PM »

I haven't really had much in the way of framerate complaints... a few times where I saw some pop-in of textures... maybe a quick stutter when a scene loads... other than that, it's been pretty stable for me.  Maybe I have lower standards (but I don't think I do!)

I'm really, really enjoying the game.  I'm getting my ass kicked fairly regularly... right now I have to fight some Krodan Battlemasters, and they charge me and I'm insta-f'd... but I'll get through it.

I agree with the 'best since BG2' assessment.  I might like it better.
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: November 27, 2007, 01:54:15 AM »

This game doesn't have a day/night cycle, doesn't have NPCs on schedules running in the background talking about mudcrabs incessantly

icon_biggrin

And I would put an Oblivion random dungeon up against a ME random planet any day of the week.  I'd even submit to a minigame standoff at high noon slywink

Sadly, the button pushing minigame with ME I prefer to the pie wedge dialogue chart for one simple reason; it's much, much faster.  If you're going to throw a stupid minigame like that in, make it go fast...

It's not open world like Oblivion, but the story & dialogue are light years beyond Oblivions.  I'm enjoying ME quite a lot, and I enjoyed Oblivion quite a lot.  Much as I liked Oblivion, it had it's own inherent limitations; for example, the sterile NPCs were one of them, as was the lack of event consequence.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: November 27, 2007, 03:48:09 AM »

Though I'm happy that a game I worked on that was released over 18 months ago can still be compared well with a release from last week, I think attacking it amounts to an ad hominem strategy in the context of this thread smile  I had a big rant typed out but I'll save it for another time.  You know I love you Eightball baby The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you.

Quote from: Kevin Grey
since when are Western RPGs known for technical proficiency and and polish?  Every major Western RPG I can think of in the past five or so years (NWN 1&2, KOTOR 1&2, Morrowind, Oblivion, Dungeon Siege, Vampire Bloodlines, ToEE, Gothic 2&3, The Witcher) has all of these issues in droves, especially in any console incarnations (The Witcher may actually be the smoothest experience of any of these but it still has it's issues).  In that pantheon, I think ME is actually one of the smoother experiences. So I think it's a weird sort of double standard to expect these to be absent in Mass Effect.  I'd like to see it improved across the board but I don't see any reason to single out this game for the sins of a genre.

Hey if free passes are being handed out, I'll be the first in line smile Big giant games are fucking bears to optimize properly, it's true, but that's no excuse to turn a blind eye and lower the bar.  I just got done with one room - the tram room at Peak 15 - where I guarantee the framerate topped out at 20 looking in any direction.  The screen tearing when you turn makes even small framerate drops stand out more.  If you notice it, I don't think it's a sin to mention it.  I don't think anyone gave any of those other games you listed a pass on technical issues.   

Annoyance #342 - Boss battle checkpoints that drop you back before the big-arse dialog section.  I guess it's punishment for getting my ass kicked?  Why oh why can't you save in combat??
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: November 27, 2007, 04:27:44 AM »

Mass Effect And Mario Galaxy are tied for my GotY at the moment, they compliment eachother perfectly when you think about it. One game is pretty much perfect in story and character development and delivery, though a bit lacking with it's actual gameplay. The other is practically perfect in the gameplay department, but almost entirely devoid of a storyline.

Who gives two thumbs up to a Bioware/Nintendo RPG collaboration!?   slywink thumbsup
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 04:31:44 AM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: November 27, 2007, 05:09:28 AM »

Quote from: kathode on November 27, 2007, 03:48:09 AM

Hey if free passes are being handed out, I'll be the first in line smile Big giant games are fucking bears to optimize properly, it's true, but that's no excuse to turn a blind eye and lower the bar.  I just got done with one room - the tram room at Peak 15 - where I guarantee the framerate topped out at 20 looking in any direction.  The screen tearing when you turn makes even small framerate drops stand out more.  If you notice it, I don't think it's a sin to mention it.  I don't think anyone gave any of those other games you listed a pass on technical issues.   

Annoyance #342 - Boss battle checkpoints that drop you back before the big-arse dialog section.  I guess it's punishment for getting my ass kicked?  Why oh why can't you save in combat??

ME has in no way lowered the bar.  It's been a far smoother technical experience for me than KOTOR, KOTOR 2, Jade Empire, and Oblivion.  My experience with Western RPGs is a bit better on the PC (KOTOR 2 was vastly improved there and I suspect Jade Empire and Oblivion would as well) but that seems to be just a matter of the PC running the games better.  I would submit that anyone complaining about framerates in ME either didn't play Bioware's previous games on consoles or the years have whitewashed their memories.  I don't think free passes are being handed out but I do think ME is being criticized for it more heavily than any of the aforementioned games with the exception of KOTOR 2. 
Vidiot

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: November 27, 2007, 06:45:25 AM »

I am about 17 hours into it (in less than a week, while competing with rock band no less!  Something I don't think has happened for a while!) and it has been a blast so far. 

There were a couple of head smacking problems though.

Where did the tutorial go?  A few popups in the middle of getting killed in combat does not a tutorial make!  Extending the intro and giving some clue how the game works would have been nice, but this was a transient problem..you figure the game out relatively quickly and move on.

The inventory system.  I don't think I have ever played a game where your look was such a pain to manage.  I can give them the tutorial, sometimes it is hard to see the complexities in something you work on every day, but this one just jumps out at you.  I don't know if they ran out of time or what happened.  But it is really a mess.  They could have probably gotten 80% of the way there by just stacking items and sorting the sell chart by item type.  Then I could at least quickly rank all of my items and sell the low tier stuff.

As far as combat goes, now that I have a good group mix I am really liking it.  I think a lot of the complaints come from people approaching it from a Rainbow6 perspective (which is fair because it does present itself in that way).  If you do that it is pretty lame, the cover system is glitchy and your team is dumb as rocks and hard to command.  If you look at it as an RPG (which it really is) it is really good, the best real time combat system Bioware has ever done.  I think a little polish here could have gone a long way, but it stands up on its own.

There are a lot of little things they could have done, but there always are in almost any game.  Overall it is one hell of a ride and with luck will help set a new bar for western RPGs in a couple categories.  It isn't every day that a game comes along that can do that.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: November 27, 2007, 07:03:10 AM »

Admittedly I'm not very far, but I'm just not getting into this one. 

I must be completely missing something about combat, because every fight I've been in was a royal clusterfuck where I struggle to find cover (then struggle WITH the cover) and then just shoot shoot shoot until the enemy or I die.  Is there more to it than that?

I'm really liking the dialog sections, but I'm finding the actual game in between to be nothing but tedious.

gellar
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #213 on: November 27, 2007, 03:35:01 PM »

Quote from: Vidiot on November 27, 2007, 06:45:25 AM

As far as combat goes, now that I have a good group mix I am really liking it.  I think a lot of the complaints come from people approaching it from a Rainbow6 perspective (which is fair because it does present itself in that way).  If you do that it is pretty lame, the cover system is glitchy and your team is dumb as rocks and hard to command.  If you look at it as an RPG (which it really is) it is really good, the best real time combat system Bioware has ever done.  I think a little polish here could have gone a long way, but it stands up on its own.

Frankly, I spent 98% of the combat with my teammates doing their own 'thing'. Yeah, I'd have them fire off powers (I had total control over that aspect of it), but beyond that they took cover and tended to keep themselves alive without too many issues.

As for cover for yourself - you're just better off killing faster than they can kill you. Once you get better armors/shielding/powers you'll just be charging into combat and killing left and right.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: November 27, 2007, 03:57:31 PM »

Nah IIRC it was the "good" option.  Shepherd basically said "This is my ship and my rules so you're going to be good to people!  Do the job right, not fast."  Something along those lines.  Every once in a while I get one like that that surprises me.

smile  I knew that was coming, but I didn't want to try to compare them directly.  I still think that Mass Effect is not a true "open world" game.  I think it is a game where you can choose which mission (from a large number of choices, admittedly) to tackle next, which while laudable, is not the same as a game where you can really wander aimlessly.  This game doesn't have a day/night cycle, doesn't have NPCs on schedules running in the background, and they don't have to worry about seamlessly loading two completely seperate huge chunks of the world depending on whether the player goes left or right at any point.  90%+ of the areas in this game are strictly linear levels.  And I would put an Oblivion random dungeon up against a ME random planet any day of the week.  I'd even submit to a minigame standoff at high noon slywink

They did build that into the storyline though. They explained why the NPCs are typically available all the time. It still makes the game not seem as open, but I honestly don't want a completely open world. I think games need some level of direction. Sure people say they want open worlds, but how many people out there finished those games?

As a society we want to feel the sense of accomplishment, but we also need to feel some resistance to getting that done. It is a tricky balance to please the masses.

My biggest complaint is the NPC pathing, but I love the immersion and wealth of information.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: November 27, 2007, 04:37:05 PM »

Quote from: kathode on November 27, 2007, 03:48:09 AM

Though I'm happy that a game I worked on that was released over 18 months ago can still be compared well with a release from last week, I think attacking it amounts to an ad hominem strategy in the context of this thread smile  I had a big rant typed out but I'll save it for another time.  You know I love you Eightball baby The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you.

Well, you did say you'd put up Oblivion's minigame and dungeons against ME's any day...so it really wasn't an attack on Oblivion by me.  Just a refutation of your own statement.  In any case, you can only really compare ME to Oblivion because there's only one 360 RPG that's near equivalent, year and a half old or not.

I also don't think I was attacking Oblivion; I loved that game when it came out, played it a ton.  But it had warts, and so does ME.  Thank god there's no level scaling  icon_biggrin

Hell if you think this is bad, just remember that your next project is being compared to a 12 year old game that's reached iconic status.  Somehow all of those fans forget that Fallout on release was buggy as hell, and only remember it as perfect.  Good luck with that one! 

And no reason to rant or pat me reassuringly on the back; we're all big boys here.   icon_wink

The Witcher does this.  And yes, it's annoying as hell.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: November 27, 2007, 04:44:11 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on November 27, 2007, 03:35:01 PM

Quote from: Vidiot on November 27, 2007, 06:45:25 AM

Frankly, I spent 98% of the combat with my teammates doing their own 'thing'. Yeah, I'd have them fire off powers (I had total control over that aspect of it), but beyond that they took cover and tended to keep themselves alive without too many issues.

As for cover for yourself - you're just better off killing faster than they can kill you. Once you get better armors/shielding/powers you'll just be charging into combat and killing left and right.

Leaving your team mates on their own can work a majority of the time, but there are some situations where it doesn't. A lot of that also depends on your class and skills; i.e. if you don't have decent 1st aid skills you had better make sure your healer maintains their shields or barriers. If you're a soldier your class skills will have you self-healing quickly evey fairly early in the game, other classes aren't so fortunate.

I think it's always worth while to active you and your team mates shields / barriers at the start of combat. Wading in and shooting without taking cover can be effective as long as your shields hold, after they're down it can be game over quickly if you're a class that can't wear decent armour. Also if you're an infiltrator and sniping at anything but long range, you don't want to be doing so without some cover or at a bare minimum from a crouching stance.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #217 on: November 27, 2007, 04:59:06 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on November 27, 2007, 04:44:11 PM

I think it's always worth while to active you and your team mates shields / barriers at the start of combat. Wading in and shooting without taking cover can be effective as long as your shields hold, after they're down it can be game over quickly if you're a class that can't wear decent armour. Also if you're an infiltrator and sniping at anything but long range, you don't want to be doing so without some cover or at a bare minimum from a crouching stance.

Towards the latter part of the game, the armor on my group (Medium on me, Heavy on Wrex, and Light on Liara) was so strong that I waited until their shields dropped before doing anything. At that point, I'd have them either Shield Recharge or throw up Barrier depending on the battle situation. Little short of rocket attacks could outright kill us anyway.

And short of crouching (to increase my accuracy with all weapons), I never used the cover system except to use a wall to block line of sight. My teammates tended to 'use' the wall I wanted to use anyway.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: November 27, 2007, 05:26:09 PM »

Quote from: Eightball on November 27, 2007, 04:37:05 PM

Well, you did say you'd put up Oblivion's minigame and dungeons against ME's any day...so it really wasn't an attack on Oblivion by me.  Just a refutation of your own statement.  In any case, you can only really compare ME to Oblivion because there's only one 360 RPG that's near equivalent, year and a half old or not.

I also don't think I was attacking Oblivion; I loved that game when it came out, played it a ton.  But it had warts, and so does ME.  Thank god there's no level scaling  icon_biggrin

Hell if you think this is bad, just remember that your next project is being compared to a 12 year old game that's reached iconic status.  Somehow all of those fans forget that Fallout on release was buggy as hell, and only remember it as perfect.  Good luck with that one! 

And no reason to rant or pat me reassuringly on the back; we're all big boys here.   icon_wink
Yeah, sorry for getting my back up.  My rant was more a "spirited defense" I would say, but I didn't want to turn it into an Oblivion vs. ME thread.  Of course I realize now I was the one who invited it smile  Anyway, yup, trust me, I gird my loins each time some new piece of Fallout news comes out. 

I still like the game but I was SUPER pissed off with that particular boss fight on Noveria last night.  Either the boss would send me flying through the air with biotic powers and then kill me while I was helpless, or I kept getting shot in the back and I was dying in the time between pressing Y and actually completing the omni-tool animation for using medi-gel.  Finally realized an easy way to beat it.
Spoiler for Hiden:
Turns out using Damping pretty much rendered Benezia helpless.  She was no stronger than an average Geth troop.  She actually ran up to me and started pistol whipping me for a second before she died smile  I thought I had used it before and it had no effect.  Not sure if it's a random chance thing or not, but it worked great.

Question, is there friendly fire damage in this game?  I have noticed that I do get shot in the back time to time and I have definitely lit up a teammate or two by mistake, but I didn't notice if it was hurting them or myself.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: November 27, 2007, 05:57:50 PM »

I'm pretty sure there is friendly fire (though grenades defiitely don't allow it but I think guns do). 

Kathode, the other way to beat that fight:

Spoiler for Hiden:

As soon as the battle starts run to the opposite corner so that you have the Raichi tank between you and Benezia.  It will act as a shield and she can't get you there.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #220 on: November 27, 2007, 06:37:12 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 27, 2007, 05:57:50 PM

I'm pretty sure there is friendly fire (though grenades defiitely don't allow it but I think guns do). 

I've been shot in the back by my own teammates, as well as have shot them before - it did NOT hurt either me or them.

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 27, 2007, 07:07:37 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 27, 2007, 05:57:50 PM

Kathode, the other way to beat that fight:

Spoiler for Hiden:

As soon as the battle starts run to the opposite corner so that you have the Raichi tank between you and Benezia.  It will act as a shield and she can't get you there.

That's exactly what I did to beat that fight. As for Benezia, after the last stage of the battle I 1-shot her in the head with my sniper rifle and it was game over for her in a second; and hell yes did it feel good!  icon_twisted
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: November 27, 2007, 07:19:30 PM »

I'm a little over 12 hours in and still love it, warts and all.  I've run into a couple bugs that have made me reload, but not a big deal since I save often.

What happens when your health bar turns green?  I assume I've been poisoned or something similar, but I can still heal.  Does it give me combat penalties?

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #223 on: November 27, 2007, 08:12:10 PM »

Quote from: Nth Power on November 27, 2007, 07:19:30 PM

What happens when your health bar turns green?  I assume I've been poisoned or something similar, but I can still heal.  Does it give me combat penalties?

Just reduces your regeneration rate.

If it turns white, that means that you've fired up Immunity. Also, your targets get the same color codes, so look out for those enemies charging your way with a white health bar.

Scott

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: November 27, 2007, 09:00:18 PM »

I started playing last night, and so far I think its 'craptacular'.  Framerate issues galore, 360 thrashing, average graphics, and what sounds like 70s music playing during battles.  Still, it looks fun, but what a letdown from what I thought it'd be after all the hype.  The framerate issues are ridiculous for a game of this to have, especially considering the average graphics. 

I'm also playing Assasin's Creed which may be influencing my decision, but AC has incredibly beautiful environments w/ a lot more going on, great animations, no XBox thrashing, or even frame rate problems.  Bioware really needs to hire some better programmers.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: November 27, 2007, 11:59:00 PM »

My issue with the framerate isn't necessarily that it's too choppy or anything, my issue is with the random stuttering as if the game is trying to load new environments while your running. The game is always hitting split second freezes when I'm running at full speed. The screen tearing shit is annoying too.

Sean Lama
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #226 on: November 28, 2007, 12:43:52 AM »

Quote from: Scott on November 27, 2007, 09:00:18 PM

I started playing last night, and so far I think its 'craptacular'.  Framerate issues galore, 360 thrashing, average graphics, and what sounds like 70s music playing during battles.  Still, it looks fun, but what a letdown from what I thought it'd be after all the hype.  The framerate issues are ridiculous for a game of this to have, especially considering the average graphics. 

I'm also playing Assasin's Creed which may be influencing my decision, but AC has incredibly beautiful environments w/ a lot more going on, great animations, no XBox thrashing, or even frame rate problems.  Bioware really needs to hire some better programmers.

I have to agree with ya on your primary point.  In this day and age with such a high profile game made by such a high profile company, there really is no excuse.  But I have to say I really like the space operish old timey music.  Seems fitting to me, but that  is surely a personal preference kind of thing.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: November 28, 2007, 12:47:08 AM »

Average graphics?  Boy, I feel like I'm playing a different game.  I think they are stunning for the  most part.  If the framerate was more stable then I would put it on par with AC and Uncharted at the top of the graphics heap.  With the stuttering I would put it a tier below but that's still well above where Bioware has been before. 
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: November 28, 2007, 03:53:40 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 28, 2007, 12:47:08 AM

Average graphics?  Boy, I feel like I'm playing a different game.  I think they are stunning for the  most part.  If the framerate was more stable then I would put it on par with AC and Uncharted at the top of the graphics heap.  With the stuttering I would put it a tier below but that's still well above where Bioware has been before. 

Yeah Depward was telling me the same thing and I just don't get it. Sure, the models aren't as nice as AC, nor are the animations as good as Uncharted, but overall the graphics are simply fantastic.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: November 28, 2007, 04:06:52 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on November 27, 2007, 08:12:10 PM

Quote from: Nth Power on November 27, 2007, 07:19:30 PM

Just reduces your regeneration rate.

If it turns white, that means that you've fired up Immunity. Also, your targets get the same color codes, so look out for those enemies charging your way with a white health bar.
Thanks.  I haven't seen white yet, so I'll watch out for that.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: November 28, 2007, 05:52:06 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on November 28, 2007, 03:53:40 AM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 28, 2007, 12:47:08 AM

Yeah Depward was telling me the same thing and I just don't get it. Sure, the models aren't as nice as AC, nor are the animations as good as Uncharted, but overall the graphics are simply fantastic.

Yeah, I can see someone thinking graphics are average on Eden Prime, but Good Lord, the open areas of the Citadel look amazing, not to mention the later planets you visit. 

Just finished the game at about 37 hours.  Really good ending that is very self contained.  When I heard this would be the first of a trilogy I was worried about an unsatisfying cliffhanger but thanfully that is not the case.

Also, I hope for ME2 they either load an ME1 save or ask the player a series of questions about his choices- I want to see some of this stuff reflected in the sequel. 
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: November 28, 2007, 05:55:21 AM »

Close to giving up.  Just hit the vehicle portion of the game.  I did not know I would find a level of suck greater than the inventory management and a tedium greater than the combat.  Imagine my surprise when I found that suck and tedium IN THE SAME GAME.

I really am interested in the story.  The game sucks though.

gellar
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: November 28, 2007, 06:18:09 AM »

Ah so talking to Calvin yields that there is apparently a 2nd gun on the Retardtruck that is you know... actually useful relative to the shit gun mapped to RT.  Way to tell me, Bioware.  You stupid fucks.

I'll try again next time with the better gun and see if I hate it less.

gellar
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: November 28, 2007, 04:02:00 PM »

Quote from: gellar on November 28, 2007, 06:18:09 AM

Ah so talking to Calvin yields that there is apparently a 2nd gun on the Retardtruck that is you know... actually useful relative to the shit gun mapped to RT.  Way to tell me, Bioware.  You stupid fucks.

I'll try again next time with the better gun and see if I hate it less.

gellar

There's a second gun?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: November 28, 2007, 04:07:17 PM »

Right bumper fires the cannon- I'm baffled why Bioware didn't do a proper tutorial for the Mako. 
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: November 28, 2007, 04:23:48 PM »

There's a few things I've learned that make Mako combat much more easy:

- Only attack enemies from long range.

- When you're engaging the enemy turn the left or right side of the Mako to face them.

- When you turn the side of the Mako towards the enemy, try do this in an area where you can move backwards and forwards. As energy or rocket shells approach you, move the Mako backwards or forwards to avoid them; can also move behind obstacles. The enemies shells approach very slowly, whereas the Mako's cannon hits almost instantaneously. With a little practice you'll be surprised how easy it is to avoid their fire and how quickly your cannon obliterates them.

- Always stay in the 2nd zoomed in view when in combat.

- Never use the machine gun unless you're in really close; it's quite useless at any distance.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: November 28, 2007, 04:34:26 PM »

I find the Mako's jump jets to be really useful for avoiding enemy projectiles.  If you just sit stationary and jump when you see a rocket coming your way it's pretty easy to avoid them.  The jump jets seem pretty close to useless other than that, unless later levels have some sort of vehicle jumping puzzle element to them.

I had to *gasp* read the manual to find out about the cannon smile  Seems like they should've at least thrown up a single screen showing all the controls.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 04:38:40 PM by kathode » Logged
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: November 28, 2007, 04:41:12 PM »

Here's a good read I found through Kotaku regarding how ME ended up like it did.  It's not negative, just a little light shed on the game development process:

http://www.magicalwasteland.com/2007/11/how_to_tell_a_hard_landing_wit.htm
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: November 28, 2007, 04:42:31 PM »

Quote from: kathode on November 28, 2007, 04:34:26 PM

I find the Mako's jump jets to be really useful for avoiding enemy projectiles.  If you just sit stationary and jump when you see a rocket coming your way it's pretty easy to avoid them.  The jump jets seem pretty close to useless other than that, unless later levels have some sort of vehicle jumping puzzle element to them.

Nah, that's pretty much all the jump jets are useful for throughout the game- jumping over projectiles.

I found out about the cannon by pressing every damn button on the controller, convinced that there had to be more to the Mako than the jump jets.   
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: November 28, 2007, 04:43:43 PM »

The Mako being difficult to control and whatnot is most definitely only an issue very early on in the game, after a few runs with it and learning about the second zoom, I have no trouble whatsoever maneuvering and taking out enemies. The Mako actually controls quite nicely once you grow accustomed to it.

Sean Lama
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: