http://gamingtrend.com
July 30, 2014, 11:57:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mass Effect Impressions: Release Day Edition  (Read 22240 times)
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 25, 2007, 01:33:29 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on November 25, 2007, 01:30:09 AM

I definitely liked the fact that the two meters weren't opposing, at least not most of the time.  This freed you to do things based on the situation, instead of trying to cling to that perfect light side bonus or whatever.

For all the problems I had with this game in the combat and UI, the story, world, and exploration really nails it.

Yeah, this game makes good on Jade Empire's promise of two paths that weren't necessarilly evil.  As I think someone else mentioned, Renegage is often the Jack Bauer option.  It makes for a much nicer degree of character customization- Bioware's prevoius games often mandated I be a bit more goody two shoes than I wanted.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: November 25, 2007, 06:11:42 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 25, 2007, 01:33:29 AM

Quote from: Turtle on November 25, 2007, 01:30:09 AM

I definitely liked the fact that the two meters weren't opposing, at least not most of the time.  This freed you to do things based on the situation, instead of trying to cling to that perfect light side bonus or whatever.

For all the problems I had with this game in the combat and UI, the story, world, and exploration really nails it.
Yeah, this game makes good on Jade Empire's promise of two paths that weren't necessarilly evil.  As I think someone else mentioned, Renegage is often the Jack Bauer option.  It makes for a much nicer degree of character customization- Bioware's prevoius games often mandated I be a bit more goody two shoes than I wanted.

Very true. Why I'm looking forward to find the time (some day) for a replay - I so wanna be that Renegade.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 25, 2007, 08:54:03 AM »

Has anyone else come across free roaming wild life yet?
 I was on a side quest on a planet and I stumbled upon a heard of animals that looked like kangaroos with strange limbs. I got out of the Mako and walked up to them and was surprised that the talk icon appeared. They didn't run away so I tried talking to them, but neither the critters or Sheppard said anything.
So does anyone think there might be talking animals on some planet?

I've really been blown away by this game, it's definitely now in my top 5 all time gameplay experiences. I can't even say how many hours I've played so far, but I can say hardly any of them have been on the main quest. I think I've become addicted to space exploration, I just want to survey every planet I possibly can in every system.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 25, 2007, 09:40:04 AM »

I ran into some of those.  Found one that had a different name than the others...

Spoiler for Hiden:
When I turned and walked away from it, it stole some credits from me!

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: November 25, 2007, 01:38:53 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on November 25, 2007, 08:54:03 AM

I've really been blown away by this game, it's definitely now in my top 5 all time gameplay experiences. I can't even say how many hours I've played so far, but I can say hardly any of them have been on the main quest. I think I've become addicted to space exploration, I just want to survey every planet I possibly can in every system.

Agreed. The main quest is interesting and involving, and all the side quests are fun. I'm nearly 30 hours in and I can't put it down.

And you know that the Load/Save screen tells you your hours played, right? biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: November 25, 2007, 04:09:25 PM »

I was on a side quest on a planet and I stumbled upon a heard of animals that looked like kangaroos with strange limbs. I got out of the Mako and walked up to them and was surprised that the talk icon appeared. They didn't run away so I tried talking to them, but neither the critters or Sheppard said anything.

as i have almost done all the side quests now,i have come across the animals you mention...i think they had four legs and then two arms...making them look like four legged kangaroos like you say...as for talking i tried as well and got nothing...
Spoiler for Hiden:
but,whether you have come across the side quest yet,there is another planet with monkey like animals who steal a module you are after,and you have to check each monkey you find over the planet(by'talking' to them)

26hrs in just arrived at that james bond island place... Virmire

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 25, 2007, 05:07:11 PM »

I found those same animals.  I figured they just didn't code them properly to take away the talk action.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 25, 2007, 05:24:44 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on November 25, 2007, 04:09:25 PM

26hrs in just arrived at that james bond island place... Virmire

Wow.. I'd love to see a planet like that. Is the planet Virmire part of the main quest or is it a side quest or random exploration?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 25, 2007, 05:26:18 PM »

Main quest.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 25, 2007, 07:37:20 PM »

That picture is from the game... ?  eek

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
warning

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 25, 2007, 07:49:34 PM »

Developers allowing non-skippable cutscenes should be a death-penalty eligible offense.  Especially right before a boss fight.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 25, 2007, 08:00:32 PM »

hmm,dont you press X......although thats while there is dialogue,cant say i have needed/wanted to skip the actual cutscenes yet

there are gonna be 3 side quests that i wont be able to do,i think...one can only be done when you are renegade 75%..i went the other way...if i went the renegade way i wouldnt be able to do the paragon 75% side quest

the other two is from a selection of 3...and it depends on your choice at the beginning of the game....i am earthborn,so i cant do the spacer background sidequest or the colonist background sidequest

EDIT:and yes,that is a picture from the game,you have to kill Thailanders,before they escape on their ..er..rafts Tongue
« Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 08:02:23 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

QP
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 25, 2007, 09:01:50 PM »

Man having a hard time getting going on this...is it worth it?

-QP
Currently Playing:
[PC]Oblivion Again (OOO this time)
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 25, 2007, 09:14:41 PM »

Quote from: QP on November 25, 2007, 09:01:50 PM

Man having a hard time getting going on this...is it worth it?

Absolutely.  I really disliked it for the first 2-3 hours, but it clicked with me once I figured out some of the screwy systems (combat, inventory, etc.).  With a couple exceptions (I still really dislike the vehicle combat), once I hit the Citadel and started in on the RPG elements, I've been having an absolute blast.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: November 25, 2007, 09:48:18 PM »

Just finished today and I was happy. The ending is a good way to handle a trilogy and shouldn't leave anyone pissed off. I enjoyed the game a lot more once I got really good at combat. Of course by the end that was getting a bit easy, as I played almost all of the optional quests and ended at level 47 or so (took me about 30 hours + one or two of deaths/replays). I'm definitely going to replay as a female badass (I was a male paragon), but I think I need a break before that. My wife let me get it as an early birthday present, and I finished it before my birthday (oops  icon_biggrin). Plot stays consistently solid throughout the game, although I wish a couple of the recurring secondary mission characters/relationships had gone a bit further.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: November 25, 2007, 10:58:07 PM »

Thanks guys, I'm now out another $52 thanks to the GT effect (and this only a few days after dropping $160 on Rock Band).  I hate you all.

Can't wait to try this....

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 25, 2007, 11:08:50 PM »

Quote from: warning on November 25, 2007, 07:49:34 PM

Developers allowing non-skippable cutscenes should be a death-penalty eligible offense.  Especially right before a boss fight.

I'm guessing it's there because they are using it for loading. I know that was the case with Heavenly Sword. 
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: November 25, 2007, 11:25:59 PM »

So I went back and watched the E3 06 video they have on marketplace and, holy crap, is this one of those games where the visuals have made a huge improvement since being announced.  The stuff in that vid is downright ugly compared to the final game. 
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: November 26, 2007, 03:30:37 AM »

Quote from: Dimmona on November 25, 2007, 10:58:07 PM

Thanks guys, I'm now out another $52 thanks to the GT effect (and this only a few days after dropping $160 on Rock Band).  I hate you all.

Can't wait to try this....

good luck balancing the two games. It's a pain. WTB [More hours in the Day]. although this game sucks hours up. Looked at the time last night thinking it was 5am. Nope quarter to 7. I still didn't finish what I wanted, but I had to sleep heh.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: November 26, 2007, 02:16:37 PM »

I encountered a nasty bug last night that cost me about 1 1/4 hours of gameplay. Shortly after reaching Peak 15 on Noveria my game would no longer save. I should have known better because it's my habit to save frequently and to not rely on autosave; just too into the game to stop and reload. Whenever I attempted to manually save the option wasn't available on the radial menu and when I highlighted it the message 'not available during combat' was displayed.

The bug I encountered is that the game stops detecting when combat has ceased and no longer saves. A few forum members on the Bioware forums have also posted this. Anyhow...the short or it is, save frequently or at least attempt to so you at least know autosave is working. If you're not in combat you should always be able to manually save. If you can't save then quit and reload; may even have to restart your X360.

Anyhow...I'm still enjoying the game and other than the save bug I haven't experienced any other hiccups after about 24 hours of play.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: November 26, 2007, 02:18:57 PM »

I'm just in the habit of manually saving all the time anyway (save count was north of 200 the last time I checked).
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 26, 2007, 02:36:59 PM »

I'm just curious if others are also frequently changing armour and ammo configs. I've found using the right protection and punch goes a long way in this game. I'd post some of my combos, but I'm concerned it might be a spoiler for new players.

What does everyone think, should we post our favorite combos?
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 26, 2007, 02:54:33 PM »

Specific combos? Really? I just get the best gun I can and match up the ammo to the enemy I'm likely to face. Armor piercing for synthetics, shredder or chemical for other. As for armor, I change that once in a while to upgrade. The names don't really mean all that much.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 26, 2007, 03:13:04 PM »

I'm pretty fond of incendiary rounds currently. 

I vary my armor mods a bit - I normally go for ones that provide add' shielding but if I'm hunkered down, low on health, and awaiting a med pack recharge then I'll swap in a Medical mod to get my HP regenerating faster. 
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 26, 2007, 03:45:30 PM »

I'd need to have the game fired up to give my exact combos. In terms of ammo I've found the following:

Incidiary; excellent against humans and aliens
Shredders; very good against beasts and other assorted critters.
Tungsten; good against electronic droids, bots, etc.

For the life of me I can't remember the names of my favorite armour boosts except that I've found shock absorbers to be effective against biotic foes. Med boost is good in a long drawn out boss battle.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 26, 2007, 03:54:10 PM »

Can you change upgrades in mid-combat?  I haven't tried that.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 26, 2007, 04:10:00 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 26, 2007, 03:54:10 PM

Can you change upgrades in mid-combat?  I haven't tried that.

Yep.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 26, 2007, 04:35:54 PM »

So, I'm about 30 hours in and at Lvl 38 (max is 50 on first playthrough) and doing my third post Citadel world.  I'm absolutely in love with the game and think it's by far Bioware's best since BG2.  The game does have issues but most of them are pretty minor as long as you understand some things that aren't well explained.  Really, the worst thing about the game is that the documentation, both manual and in-game, is pretty piss poor.  So, in that spirit, I think I'm going to offer tips that I've gather from others and learned myself in an effort to make the game more enjoyable to others who may be struggling in the opening portions:

The Mako:  Destructor's tip from earlier is huge- the Mako has two add'l levels of Zoom accessed by pressing the right thumbstick after you are in aim mode (left trigger).  These levels of zoom coupled with the cannon (Right Bumper) make the Mako a long range killing machine.  Mako cannon rounds are instantaneous- enemy weapons are not.  So target a distance enemy and fire.  When you see a shot coming your way, either activate your boosters to jump over the projectile or move slightly left or right. 

Also, the Mako can ram people and structures which can be a good option in a pinch.

Moving around the uncharted worlds in the Mako- the map is your friend.  The shortest route is often not a straight line.  The in game map is topographical so plot a route that uses relative flat plains to get your destination.  Most major points of interest are accessible that way so you shouldn't be spending your time climbing sheer canyon walls unless absolutely necessary. 

Also, you can go back to the Normandy at any time outside of Combat by going to map screen and pressing Y (I think).  I've read of people getting stuck on geometry on the uncharted worlds (only had something like that happen once personally) but you should be able to get back to the ship (avoiding losing any unsaved progress) by doing the above. 

Money:  Explore, explore, explore.   When the galaxy initially opens up, check out every planet in a system.  You will often get the option to survey a planet.  Not only does that net you XP but you get a lot of cash too.  It's absolutely the best way to get cash in the early to mid game.  Also be on the look out for any small "twinkles" on the system screen, often in asteroid belts, but sometimes not.  You can survey those points too. 

Sidequests:  There's more than you think.  While there are flags to be gained from talking to people or looking on computer terminals throughout the main quest, most sidequests can also be triggered just by entering the system they occur in or landing on the applicable planet.  This will let you access the corresponding sidequests much earlier than you could otherwise in the game.  I had finished three of my "companion quests" much earlier than would have happened if I had to wait for my followers opening up about them.  It doesn't break the game- it's been accounted for. 

Also, sidequests trigger off completing other sidequests leading to some fairly long and interesting chains. 

Anytime I see someone say "I finished in about 20 hours and I think I did most of the sidequests" it makes me think that they did most of the ones that the game jumped up and down and said "look at me!  I'm a sidequest" but there is a lot more to be out there for those who want to explore.

Loading Times- the "elevator transitions" are neat but they are also broken.  Taking fast travel in areas that allows it means loading times are probably three times as fast as taking the corresponding elevator.  This mainly refers to the Citadel.  Elevators are used more sparingly on plot planets and are generally much quicker than Citadel elevator rides.  The end result is that load times in this game aren't a big deal at all and are well within the norms for console loading.  You shouldn't be sitting at a load screen nearly as long as in KOTOR, Jade Empire, or Oblivion. 

However, some sidequests are triggered off of things your overhear in the elevator, though, again, I'm fairly certain you can bypass the triggers through exploration.  Also, there are some amusing character moments in the elevator (Citadel only).

Combat:  Tech, tech, tech, biotics, biotics, biotics.  Even if you are playing a pure solider, do not ignore having a balanced party.  When properly leveled and utilized tech and biotic attacks are absolutely devastating.  It makes dealing with large groups of enemies much more manageable. Once I learned that most of combat frustrations disappeared and I now think the combat system is fantastic.  I'm playing an Infiltrator (mixture of tech and combat) and Ashley (soldier) and Liara (biotics) are pretty much my permanent party members. 

Passive Abilities- things like first aid, electronics, and decrypting stack off of your total party level.  If you don't have anyone with strong first aid (or a decent combined level across all three squadmates) then you won't heal crap when pressing Y.  If you are combat or biotic oriented as a player character, ensure that you have someone with high tech skills in your squad so you can access there high electronics and decrypts (not to mention the corresponding power of Sabotage and Overload).  Also, I'm not 100% sure of this, but it seems like not only do high leves in these areas reduce any omni-gel costs, but you will require fewer button presses for the little minigame.  Even the hardest lock doesn't take me more than three presses to unlock now. 

Framerate frustrations- yeah the framerate sucks sometimes (especially on Noveria and The Citadel) but other times it's perfect.  Especially on the uncharted worlds- unless there is a raging blizzard, framerate is a locked 30 with zero slowdown in even the most hectic combat on the uncharted worlds.   

Inventory- yeah the inventory is a mess (and aside from poor documentation the game's biggest flaw IMO) but it can be very manageable.  The key is staying on top of it.  Every time you are back on the Normandy or run into a merchant in the gameworld, sell off all your excess gear.  The game will throw an unbelievable amount of loot at you so there is no reason to keep more than one weapon for each character.  The squad interface kind of sucks so keep a mental note of what each character has skills in.  Generally there is no need to worry about party members having more than one or two of a weapon and, if they aren't skilled in a type of weapon, just ignore it.  Before selling your gear to the the requisition offer, head over to the lockers and just check the primary (and maybe secondary weapons) on each party member and maybe their armor,  omni tools, and psy amps, if applicable.  Doesn't take more than a minute.

Don't bother changing out weapon or shield mods unless the person is in your party.  Also, you will get loads and loads of weapon and shield mods.  What you receive is based on your level.  I don't keep anything more than one level below
my highest rated mod (for example, if I'm getting level six mods, I ditch everything Level 4 and beow) and don't keep more than three at a time since that's all you need to outfit a squad anyway. 

Do those recommendations and inventory management doesn't take up much time and you'll never be up against the 150 item limit. 

Amass 1,000,000 credits- just trust me.  You WANT to do this icon_wink

Anyway, I hope some of that stuff help.  The game is rough around the edges in the way that all Bioware games are but I've got to say that I'm having a fantastic time and, at this stage in the game, it's pretty much my GOTY. 
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 26, 2007, 05:08:32 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 26, 2007, 04:35:54 PM

Yeah, I'm sitting at over 4mil credits now  at level 46 smile

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 26, 2007, 05:18:10 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on November 26, 2007, 05:08:32 PM

Yeah, I'm sitting at over 4mil credits now  at level 46 smile

yeah i think i am something like that now.

i have one more system to explore(hades)..and then i have done all the planets and side quests i can do,(before DLC comes out)...then i can go to llos and carry on with the main quest.because of work,i am thinking this time tomorrow should see me finishing the game

Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 26, 2007, 05:29:46 PM »

Thanks for the tips Kevin!  You guys are right about the crappy documentation - I'm still not quite sure whether or not I'm equipping my guys properly.  Just made it to the citadel and I'm loving it.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
warning

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 26, 2007, 05:53:26 PM »

I just did my first optional planet last night.  I don't even remember what it was called but I had fun with it.  I was climbing incredibly tall mountains with the Mako, raiding mineral deposits and fighting a surprise sandworm-type creature.  That was certainly an "Oh shit!" moment!
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #192 on: November 26, 2007, 07:24:18 PM »

*all the useful stuff he said*

Nice writeup there of great things to keep in mind!

An interesting thing I found out about the Mako and its zoomable weapon - once you go into zoom via the right analog, it 'breaks' the game as in how it TOTALLY ignores the angle of your cannon. Normally, if you're on a perfectly flat surface, you can't aim the cannon more than about 5 degrees below your horizontal plane. However, once you hold the LT and hit the right thumbstick, you can shoot at anything you can focus upon.

Basically, this is very useful in shooting at things you wouldn't be able to hit otherwise due to you being on a cliff or something where you just can't get your cannon pointed the right way.

And level 50 is the max the first time through? I gotta make sure I spend the last few points I'll be getting then (I'm level 41 and 33ish hours in with only the first 3 post-Citadel missions done).

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 26, 2007, 07:43:41 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on November 26, 2007, 07:24:18 PM

And level 50 is the max the first time through? I gotta make sure I spend the last few points I'll be getting then (I'm level 41 and 33ish hours in with only the first 3 post-Citadel missions done).

Yeah, I think it's Lvl 50 the first time through and Lvl 60 for New Game+
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 26, 2007, 08:09:44 PM »

Absolutely loving this game.  I haven't enjoyed a console game this much since the original KOTOR.  I am about 20 hours in, am lvl 26 and am just now starting the first post citadel story planet. (Oh and I also have Liara in my party so I guess I am on the second planet).

So who has everyone been romancing?  I am really torn, I think my character truly would be in love with Ashley, but her being a fellow soldier, I think my character would frown upon fraternization, so he will likely be pursuing Liara instead, he is so torn...
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: November 26, 2007, 08:13:51 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on November 26, 2007, 08:09:44 PM

So who has everyone been romancing?  I am really torn, I think my character truly would be in love with Ashley, but her being a fellow soldier, I think my character would frown upon fraternization, so he will likely be pursuing Liara instead, he is so torn...

I thought it would be a much harder decision but it turns out that Ashley is kind of a xenophobic, narrow-minded bitch.  So Liara for me.  I just had to "choose" when I finished up the second planet. 
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: November 26, 2007, 08:17:04 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on November 26, 2007, 08:09:44 PM

Ashley lost me with the whole God bit.  Liara it is, blue head and all.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: November 26, 2007, 09:11:04 PM »

Spoiler below for Virmere planet

Spoiler for Hiden:
Wow, I never saw the decision to choose between Kaiden or Ashley.  I had to sit there and think for a second on whom I would miss more.  In the end I chose Ashley.  Kaiden died a true warriors death.  If I could I would have nominated him for a medal

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: November 26, 2007, 09:15:08 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on November 26, 2007, 09:11:04 PM

Spoiler below for Virmere planet

Spoiler for Hiden:
Wow, I never saw the decision to choose between Kaiden or Ashley.  I had to sit there and think for a second on whom I would miss more.  In the end I chose Ashley.  Kaiden died a true warriors death.  If I could I would have nominated him for a medal

Spoiler for Hiden:
ditto

okay i lied,and finished the game tonight,because there are no optional side missions on the last two levels,it took me a lot less than usual to finish the levels....great cutscenes...you guys are gonna love them

kathode

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: November 26, 2007, 09:30:01 PM »

I'm surprised how much I enjoy this game given how many areas I feel could be improved.  Here are my negative thoughts, but keep in mind I actually like the game quite a bit, despite Bioware being my Sworn Enemy from the North smile 

Framerate - Really rough.  Sometimes it seems to drop in the middle of a cutscene when I'm looking at my own head.  Weird.  I don't begrudge the texture loading stuff - obviously they erred on the side of reduced loading times - but some of the framerate drops get jarring.  I imagine its their background streaming stuff slowing things down, because my Xbox sounds like it's actually chewing on the disc.

Inventory - Complete spaghetti.  Even now after around 12 hours I have to make myself stop and think before I look at upgrades, because I'm always hitting the wrong button and then having to choose whether to keep my upgrades when switching to the weapon I didn't want.  Or I'm exiting the galaxy map when all I wanted to do was zoom out.  That one makes me crazy.  I'm pretty sure this will come back to bite me since I doubt there has been or will be a console RPG menu system that's been universally liked, but I find inventory management here difficult.

Combat - The cover mechanic, for me, is a clear case of 'do something right or don't do it at all.'  I still have trouble getting locked onto cover, disengaging from it when I just want to lean out and shoot, or getting tangled up with my teammates and becoming exposed.  I end up not even bothering on probably half my fights.  The biggest problem with combat for me is the near-complete lack of feedback for when you get hit.  Usually when I die I have no idea what happened - couldn't tell you who hit me from where and I probably didn't even realize that I was close to death.  Makes boss fights very frustrating.  "Hey this encounter is going grea... oh shit, I'm dead." There are indicators but they are very faint as are most enemy tracers.

Planets - I was excited for the planetary exploration because of fond memories of Star Control, roving around collecting little blobs of minerals.  But in implementation I think Mass Effect might owe a little too much to Star Control.  You rove around barren lifeless worlds using frustrating vehicle controls to find an obscene number of Totally Arbitrary Collectible Objects.  It seems as though until the end of the game, the top of my quest log assignments will be jammed with these superfluous tasks, until I'm done surveying pluboidinibidimum deposits, or popping open derelict probes like so many tin cans, or pulling Wamalamadingdongian insignias out of he butts of alien corpses.  And it's all done through a minigame courtesy of Fisher-Price.  Even the sidequests on these planets feel thrown-together, as the dungeons off the beaten path are usually empty square rooms with some enemies.

Dialog/Choices - I enjoy the conversation mechanic in practice, but I sometimes find myself dissatisfied with the disconnect between what's listed on the wheel and what my character actually says.  Generally the intents match up, but every once in a while my character acts in a manner different than I thought I was directing him. I was talking to Garrus on the ship and wanted to give him a gentle rebuke, but ended up whipping out a classic "collar-grab" maneuver and shouting at him.  It's easy to create a bizarre manic-depressive Shepherd that by bouncing back and forth between options. I also tried out some of the "renegade" choices and find myself hitting up against the walls of the simulation - i.e., I pick the choices that indicate "maximum jackass" but my actual dialog sounds like "watery douchebag" instead.  Speaking of which, I do find that most of the choices boil down to "Yes", "No", and "Maybe (But really just yes minus the paragon points)."  Having two bars instead of one seems to end up being the same as having one bar, except now you don't sum them together.  Progress?  I'm curious to see how much this ends up influencing conversations in games going forward, even their own like Dragon Age.

So despite that, I'm yearning for the day to end so I can go play some more.  I think despite failing for me a bit in the details, it exceeds on the larger levels of good plotting, a solid believable world and back story, and an expansive-feeling universe.  Also, it's regularly gorgeous, and the characters look great even if some of the armor looks REALLY goofy.  I think default Shepherd is a bit too GQ looking, so I made my own "Badass Eskimo" guy, and he's awesome.  And now I've wasted my lunch break writing this novella, so back to work! smile
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 09:32:01 PM by kathode » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: