http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 08:15:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mass Effect Impressions: Release Day Edition  (Read 22340 times)
Arclight
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 22, 2007, 01:26:56 AM »

Got it, thanks.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 22, 2007, 02:06:14 AM »

Quote from: kronovan on November 21, 2007, 06:59:37 AM

Something that's made me nervous right away is the minimal references to pre-service history and psychological profile.  My concern is that these 2 character aspects may have some bearing on the effectiveness of your class and specific talents.

I'm pretty sure they only affect dialogue.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 22, 2007, 02:15:56 AM »

I'm finally going to dive into this tonight wholeheartedly. So my plan is to delete the engineer I created last night to get familar with the game and to then create either an infiltrator or vanguard.

I can see where vanguard would be very interesting, but I can also see where they might be tough to play until their biotic talents are increased to a respectable level. In regards to the infiltrator, I can see where they'd be excellent for ranged combat at a distance, but they might have problems if the enemy rushes in for close combat. At least until their combat and tech talents get advanced enough. I do realize that you can use the other 2 members of your party to compensate for your own weaknesses, but if this is at all like KoTOR that may not always work in the thows of a battle with a boss.

So I'm stuck deciding between infiltrator or vanguard. Anyone care to make a recommendation?
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 22, 2007, 04:42:27 AM »

Quote from: kronovan on November 22, 2007, 02:15:56 AM

So I'm stuck deciding between infiltrator or vanguard. Anyone care to make a recommendation?

To be honest, I watched combat videos of all the classes and really there isn't a huge difference between any of them. If you go with the Infiltrator, you can use the sniper rifle which I imagine comes in very handy in some areas because the biggest issue with combat I'm having is taking down enemies that are A) Really far away and B) Hiding behind shit. At least with the sniper rifle you take care of problem A.

If you go with Vanguard, you'll be making more use of biotic talents like Throw and Warp which are better at short-to-mid range. I chose to go with Vanguard simply because I'd like to use more biotic talents in combat for the sake of making combat feel different from all the other shooters on the 360.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 22, 2007, 04:53:06 AM »

The game is growing on me rapidly, I can see why reviewers have been rating the game high despite the technical and gameplay shortcomings. ME is definately one of the most absorbing games I've ever played, I just hope it lasts the whole way through. I can deal with the combat, especially since I have it set to casual, my concern at this point is the routine of exploring planets. The first planet you land on, Eden Prime, was 100% on rails; There were no branching paths, it was basically a straight line from point A to point B. That doesn't count as exploration to me, so I'm hoping some of the planets are more open-ended.

Sean Lama
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 22, 2007, 05:56:40 AM »

I find myself nitpicking the game, and getting more and more annoyed with it as I play it.  There's too much on my plate/want to play to not love what I'm playing.

Beautifully presented game, but man, the really unbalanced combat, clunky, clumsy interface, and crazy graphical hiccups and technical glitches makes BioWare look somewhat amateurish.

Enjoy, guys!

TheMissingLink on PSN
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 22, 2007, 06:07:33 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on November 22, 2007, 04:53:06 AM

The game is growing on me rapidly, I can see why reviewers have been rating the game high despite the technical and gameplay shortcomings.

Just wait, those damn frame rate dips will piss you off and you will trade it.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 22, 2007, 07:15:05 AM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on November 22, 2007, 05:56:40 AM

I find myself nitpicking the game, and getting more and more annoyed with it as I play it.  There's too much on my plate/want to play to not love what I'm playing.

Beautifully presented game, but man, the really unbalanced combat, clunky, clumsy interface, and crazy graphical hiccups and technical glitches makes BioWare look somewhat amateurish.

Enjoy, guys!

Meh frown
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 22, 2007, 08:17:08 AM »

I might get through this one time, but I was thinking last night while playing, I could never played through it again.
That to me doesn't make it a typical Bioware game.

I've also been using casual as my difficulty setting...Combat is something to just get through, not enjoy. thumbsdown

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: November 22, 2007, 08:35:13 AM »

I agree with Arclight.

I wouldn't play through this again partly because the cutscenes aren't skippable, although I suspect that's because they use them to load the next scenes.

However, combat is just a complete pain.  As soon as there's cheat codes posted for this game, I'll just burn through combat using cheats.  My friend has this on his netflix queu because I don't want to rent it again.

Not that it's a completely bad game, but this basically confirms one of my biggest fears when I saw previews.  The story, dialog, and conversation system is great, but the combat sucks so much it brings down the rest of the game.  Bioware should seriously consider going back to its roots with a very strategy oriented combat, either turn based or real-time.  Heck, for this they should have gone with a Full Spectrum Warrior/SOCOM Tactical Strike style interface
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 22, 2007, 08:46:22 AM »

so just how much has Mass Effect sucked me in already?  i spent almost eight hours playing ME today and never once even considered stopping to open up the giant Rock Band box sitting on the floor next to me.  i'm hooked to the point that i couldn't even stop to try out another game that i spent $170 to buy.  oh well...maybe tomorrow...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 22, 2007, 09:07:55 AM »

Ok so I dont have time to post full impressions now, but I do have a question for those of you have a played a soldier past say...level 10? Basically, I am a little concerned that the soldier is going to make the combat a little too easy and a little too boring. While I agree with very little Turtle has said about the game, I think he is spot on with the soldier really making the combat feel sort of that much more like the other 360 3rd person shooters-you get heavy armor, can unlock first aid, and can use pretty much any weapon. You heal fast, you have lots of armor, etc. The only times I have died so far are a couple times to rocket soldiers and a couple times when enemies using cover snuck up on me. So yeah-what do you guys think? Too easy? I read in at least one review that by mid-game (maybe level 15?), the Soldier essentially breaks combat, as you can just sprint up to enemies and AR them to death or pump them full of shotgun. So I was hoping you all could give me some thoughts-I really do think it would be fun to play with some biotics and or tech, and I have no qualms whatsoever redoing what I have done-it has been fun, interesting, and I know where to go and can simply click through some of the dialog. Any thoughts? I would, however, wait until I unlock the 150 AR kill achievement so I can use it as a bonus on the character, however. I don't like the shotgun very much and if I go Adept, Vanguard, or Sentinel, I want to have a good combat option.

Quick responses earn much love smile
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: November 22, 2007, 09:58:45 AM »

Depends, how have you built your soldier, what level, and how far are you?  I assume you're at the point where you have the ship and several objectives after that?

If so:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Try doing the missions related to finding Liara, the hivemother's daughter.  The plot fights are really difficult in that sector.  I chose to look for her first.

It may be that the three possible missions here have different difficulty ratings.

I think I've gimped my characters by not specializing them enough.  I have points all over the place and I'm getting creamed in any serious fight, by serious fight I mean the bigger staged battles just before some plot point.  Admittedly, I did put a lot of points into charm so I could get the extra dialog.  Which is why I don't like the loss of finer squad control, if I'm weaker in combat, I need to use my teammates even more.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 22, 2007, 10:17:15 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on November 22, 2007, 09:58:45 AM

Depends, how have you built your soldier, what level, and how far are you?  I assume you're at the point where you have the ship and several objectives after that?

If so:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Try doing the missions related to finding Liara, the hivemother's daughter.  The plot fights are really difficult in that sector.  I chose to look for her first.

It may be that the three possible missions here have different difficulty ratings.

I think I've gimped my characters by not specializing them enough.  I have points all over the place and I'm getting creamed in any serious fight, by serious fight I mean the bigger staged battles just before some plot point.  Admittedly, I did put a lot of points into charm so I could get the extra dialog.  Which is why I don't like the loss of finer squad control, if I'm weaker in combat, I need to use my teammates even more.

Turtle what class did you go with-I know you mentioned earlier but I am fading fast and need to hit the hay. I am thinking that while its entirely possible I would enjoy the soldier as well, and that he might not be overpowered later on-I think the fact remains that it would still be more fun to get to play with biotics too-I do think, however, based on some comments about difficult early on (like what you are describing here) that it might behoove me to stick to my idea of unlocking the AR achievement first before I go back.

As for the solider build-AR pumped up (no points wasted on other targets), 1 point in charm, soldier skill and armor skill pumped up, first aid already unlocked-special powers
Spoiler for Hiden:
adrenaline boost, shield boost, and the overpower shot or whatever that is called
so far with those three abilities alone its been very, very easy to tear through anything the game has thrown at me so far-and don't get me wrong, it IS fun to me, I actually like the combat. I actually anticipate it will stay fun, until and unless it gets too easy as at least a couple reviews have mentioned with the soldier. I just know with so many games vying for attention right now I likely won't replay it for several months, so thats why I just put the controller down tonight as I was about to start my first playtime for the day and decided to think over if I wanted to go ahead and get a biotic/mix so I could see more of the powers that way-or at least feel like I was playing the combat less like a straight shooter-not sure if any of that makes sense, I am pretty tired smile

Either way, I want to decide tomorrow so when I get back from being dragged off for a whole day of Thanksgiving nonsense I can tell myself I have made a choice and go ahead and play more-I love this game!

By the way, unfortunately this is not rare for me in RPGs-I honestly spent at least a couple hours reading up on all the weapons in FF12 before deciding how to spec my party (seriously) and when I first started WoW I started 5 toons the first day because I couldn't decide what class to play-but once I get rolling I am off smile
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 22, 2007, 01:25:56 PM »

Ok I seem to be stuck on a planet. I've done everything the manual suggests to get back to the mothership.
Go into the menu area, chose map, hit X while in map mode...Nothing happens.

What am I doing wrong?

Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 22, 2007, 01:44:40 PM »

Should just need to hit x while in the mako, not in map mode or anything.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 22, 2007, 02:21:21 PM »

Yeah, try it all. Not working. My last save other than a quick save when I landed on the planet and another one by me half way through clearing it is over 2 hours back... disgust

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 22, 2007, 03:05:25 PM »

I started an Engineer character cause I wanted something different.  I don't think I'm far enough in (you just meet the girl) to see any special abilities yet...However, that said I'm looking forward to playing this at somepoint, but Rockband has my heart...and my axe.

If you had said I would not be playing ME in order to play RB a few months ago I'd have said you were a CK.  But here I sit...ignoring it to rock out.

The trouble began with Bioshock...but perhaps tonight I'll give it a whirl.

ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 22, 2007, 03:20:13 PM »

I still don't have the biotics figured out quite yet. I know how to engage them, but do I need to target something? I'm at the stage that was demonstrated (I think on the XBL video?) and I'm getting creamed. I guess bringing a high-tech person into the fight wasn't exactly brilliant either (hey, I wanted loot!).

I'm playing an infiltrator and the sniper rifle is a bitch to use: too unsteady. Wish I had the "hold breath" option from GRAW.

Also, anybody find a way to make some easy cash in the early game? I can buy hardly anything from the shopkeepers on the Citadel.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 22, 2007, 03:53:30 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on November 22, 2007, 08:35:13 AM

I wouldn't play through this again partly because the cutscenes aren't skippable, although I suspect that's because they use them to load the next scenes.

If you don't want to sit through conversations, hitting X will skip you ahead to the next chunk of dialog.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 22, 2007, 04:08:58 PM »

I am really not liking combat either.  I just don't get who thought this method of combat would be good for an RPG.  I also try and use Biotics during combat, but it seems like the enemy moves before it hits him and I'm just screwed because it's on cooldown.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 22, 2007, 04:29:38 PM »

Quote from: ChaoZ on November 22, 2007, 03:20:13 PM

I still don't have the biotics figured out quite yet. I know how to engage them, but do I need to target something? I'm at the stage that was demonstrated (I think on the XBL video?) and I'm getting creamed. I guess bringing a high-tech person into the fight wasn't exactly brilliant either (hey, I wanted loot!).

While you have the powers radial held down, rotate the viewpoint until you have the target selected and then press A to tell you or your squadmate to use that power on that enemy.  For your personal powers you can also map a power to the RB button and trigger it at any time just by tapping RB instead of holding down RB. 
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: November 22, 2007, 05:33:57 PM »

I'm playing an infiltrator and the sniper rifle is a bitch to use: too unsteady. Wish I had the "hold breath" option from GRAW.

Also, anybody find a way to make some easy cash in the early game? I can buy hardly anything from the shopkeepers on the Citadel.

Yeah, I'm kinda upset the sniper rifle doesn't work as well as it should. Maybe with a few more accuracy upgrades...

And as far as money goes - the shopkeepers are just sorta there to show what's available should you decide to buy it later on. I HIGHLY spending your money on any of the Licenses you find though. It makes your Quartermaster in the bowels of the ship get some really nice stuff.

And to easily get money - once you can explore the galaxy, visit every planet. The ones you can drive around on, make sure you explore every nook and cranny. I've found multiple mineral stockpiles that the Alliance pays quite a bit of cash for once you've jumped out of your ship and cataloged. I just blew 30K in two VERY nice armor upgrades from the Quartermaster and I didn't really blink I had so much cash.

Random thought - the game does a great job putting everything into scientific terms, and showing that the Normandy has a nice place in 'reality' if you will, however the ship still makes WHOOSH noises as it travels through space.  icon_twisted

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
depward

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 22, 2007, 05:42:20 PM »

Played for a bit... the framerate drops are ugly, character models look actually kinda crappy, the interface and inventory and selling and such is frustratingly clunky, I love how it takes five seconds for things to load when I get into a conversation, so far Mass Effect is REALLY "meh" for me.  I'll put some more time into it, but the sub 20 fps I seem to get all the time is taking its toll.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 22, 2007, 06:26:13 PM »

I put a few hours into this last night and, like depward, I'm really surprised by how clunky the game feels. The interface design is very awkward, the character animations aren't very good, and the voice acting for the main character is really bad. I restarted as a female character because the voice actor doesn't have as flat a delivery for her lines.

I'm also disappointed in how little the story takes into account differences in charcter design and dialog choices. In my first start I played as Earthbound Hero and in my second attempt I played as Ruthless Sole Survivor  and I selected completely different conversation options. Neither the story, nor in most cases, NPC responses changed. That was somewhat disappointing.

Grnated I'm early in the game and I'm sure all my concerns will evaporate once I begin playing the game and exploring the universe and more of the backstory is revealed. I absolutely love the dramatic vistas on Eden Prime when you drop to the planet for the first time. I love the music, too, and it fits the mood of the game perfectly.

So, I'm looking forward to playing more of this game, but I'm not nearly as blown away as I expected to be when I first put the disk in the tray. 
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 22, 2007, 07:06:37 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on November 22, 2007, 05:33:57 PM

Yeah, I'm kinda upset the sniper rifle doesn't work as well as it should. Maybe with a few more accuracy upgrades...

And as far as money goes - the shopkeepers are just sorta there to show what's available should you decide to buy it later on. I HIGHLY spending your money on any of the Licenses you find though. It makes your Quartermaster in the bowels of the ship get some really nice stuff.

And to easily get money - once you can explore the galaxy, visit every planet. The ones you can drive around on, make sure you explore every nook and cranny. I've found multiple mineral stockpiles that the Alliance pays quite a bit of cash for once you've jumped out of your ship and cataloged. I just blew 30K in two VERY nice armor upgrades from the Quartermaster and I didn't really blink I had so much cash.

Random thought - the game does a great job putting everything into scientific terms, and showing that the Normandy has a nice place in 'reality' if you will, however the ship still makes WHOOSH noises as it travels through space.  icon_twisted

Have been doing as you suggested but hadn't got a chance to return to the Citadel yet. I've already finished a couple of the side quests from the Citadel in my journeys.
Spoiler for Hiden:
The lost marines mission was tough with that huge sandworm thingy, but I figured out that the vehicle had a larger cannon instead of just the machine gun, which seemed to help.
I'm not a big fan of the vehicle controls, which are dependent on the camera and not the more logical steering controls of all the other games out there.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 22, 2007, 07:33:45 PM »

Quote from: Andrew Mallon on November 22, 2007, 06:26:13 PM

I'm also disappointed in how little the story takes into account differences in character design and dialog choices. In my first start I played as Earthbound Hero and in my second attempt I played as Ruthless Sole Survivor and I selected completely different conversation options. Neither the story, nor in most cases, NPC responses changed. That was somewhat disappointing.

You can't be correct about those combinations, since Ruthless and Sole Survivor are both psychological profiles. I posted a message on the Bioware forums and found out that all that the pre-service history and psych profile options do is effect your initial Paragon or Renegade scores. They also only effect the 1st 4 points, which isn't apparently much when taken into the entire context of the game. Here's how the initial scores breakdown:

Pre-service History
Earth Born: +2 Renegade
Colonist: +1 Renegade, +1 Paragon
Spacer: +2 Paragon

Psychological Profile
Ruthless: +2 Renegade
Sole Survivor: +1 Renegade, +1 Paragon
War Hero: +2 Paragaon

So based on these numbers it's possible to arrive at the same Renegade and Paragon scores even though you chose different combinations. It's actually the Renegade and Paragon scores that effect how the NPC's respond and relate to you, which in turn drives the dialog. Personally I chose Spacer + War Hero, only because I think I'm still stuck in the KoTOR universe and still trying to become the uberest Jedi. smile
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 07:43:51 PM by kronovan » Logged
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 22, 2007, 09:33:32 PM »

I'm a little surprised by the mixed reactions- at least from "vets" of prior Bioware console games.  I'm just not seeing any issues in Mass Effect that didn't exist in abundance in KOTOR and Jade Empire.  Or even other western RPGs like Oblivion which also suffered from framerate issues, texture popin, and long loading times.  It seems like the big RPG houses just aren't going to have the technical acumen of non-RPG developers.  I wish it was more like Square-Enix where the technology is equal to the scope of their games but while that hasn't happened yet, I think ME is closer to that than we've seen before. 

Yeah, I wish the technical aspects were smoother but the flip side is that that the graphics are so good that the clunkiness feels far more justified to me than it did in their Xbox 1 games.  Maybe it doesn't bother me as much because I've honestly been expecting a crap framerate since day one (think I said as much in the epic anticipation thread). 

Also, I have so say that even if the inventory is clunky, the radial menus work great. 
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 22, 2007, 09:40:37 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 22, 2007, 09:33:32 PM

I'm a little surprised by the mixed reactions- at least from "vets" of prior Bioware console games.  I'm just not seeing any issues in Mass Effect that didn't exist in abundance in KOTOR and Jade Empire.  Or even other western RPGs like Oblivion which also suffered from framerate issues, texture popin, and long loading times.  It seems like the big RPG houses just aren't going to have the technical acumen of non-RPG developers.  I wish it was more like Square-Enix where the technology is equal to the scope of their games but while that hasn't happened yet, I think ME is closer to that than we've seen before. 

Yeah, I wish the technical aspects were smoother but the flip side is that that the graphics are so good that the clunkiness feels far more justified to me than it did in their Xbox 1 games.  Maybe it doesn't bother me as much because I've honestly been expecting a crap framerate since day one (think I said as much in the epic anticipation thread). 

Also, I have so say that even if the inventory is clunky, the radial menus work great. 

that gives me some hope....i am sure i wont be turned off from the game,but from what i had heard about framerate/bugs..it was a little discouraging

anyway......let me just add...

WOOHOO!!!!...12 HRS TO GO AND I'LL HAVE LIMITED EDITION MASS EFFECT!!!

hmm...okay,continue

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 22, 2007, 10:05:28 PM »

Oh yeah, huge tip:  for some reason loading times are about 75% faster if you use fast travel instead of elevators (though you miss out on the neat squad conversations and news updates). 
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 22, 2007, 10:15:36 PM »

Kevin I definitely agree, although I am admittedly only a short ways in. That being the case, I've already passed some sections where I've read posts and noted that others encountered difficulties. If anything the menus in this game are better designed and easier to navigate than KoTOR's. I've also found the combat to not be that difficult at all, although I am only playing this on the normal difficulty setting. I've definitely found that there's issues with combat and other aspects of the game, but it's all seemed minor to me so far.

And after all that's said I'm loving this game. I love the visual style, the grandiose music and the great voice acting. Most important of all the story is just awesome so far, I feel like I'm playing in a great Sci Fi movie or novel!
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 23, 2007, 12:15:07 AM »

The game is very easy to get lost in, its cool how there is so much background information on everything. I'm only 4-5 hours in, as I've restarted a few times, but the framerate is fine for the most part. Does it get significantly worse later on?

Sean Lama
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 23, 2007, 12:22:59 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on November 23, 2007, 12:15:07 AM

The game is very easy to get lost in, its cool how there is so much background information on everything. I'm only 4-5 hours in, as I've restarted a few times, but the framerate is fine for the most part. Does it get significantly worse later on?

Seems to vary on the area.  I haven't got there yet, but I here the framerate is really bad on the snow lplanet. 

I'm almost ten hours in and I'm just now about to leave Citadel. 
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: November 23, 2007, 12:36:51 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 23, 2007, 12:22:59 AM

Quote from: Ridah on November 23, 2007, 12:15:07 AM

Seems to vary on the area.  I haven't got there yet, but I here the framerate is really bad on the snow lplanet. 

Yeah, there was one snow planet I landed on where the framerate was sitting at around 15-20fps at best the entire time. But it was also dark, and absolutely BLOWING snow (as in blizzard conditions). It was a bitch to navigate in, to say the least.

Beyond that, the framerate is fine by me. It gets a bit choppy at the load points, but normally only for a moment.

And yes, it's very easy to get lost in how many different things you can do in the game. I'm 14 hours in, and the only parts of the 'main' quest I've done is leave the Citadel and picked up my 6th teammate. I've spent the rest of my time wandering the universe, doing side quests.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 23, 2007, 03:45:49 AM »

I'm about 10 hours in and am enjoying it more. Combat was an issue for me at first, but once I got the hang of it (e.g. sniping) and got used to how you use the abilities with right trigger it became more managle and enjoyable. Plus, Unity is nice so you don't have to replay nearly as much if you hit a tough spot. I've only advanced the main quest a bit, been having fun with side quests in the Citadel and on other planets. But I'll get around to more of the main plot this weekend. Only did the one looking for the scientist/daughter of the starting quests. There are a lot of interesting quests that pop up in the Citadel that have kept me amused (although I could be easily amused...). As someone else said, I understand complaints about the combat and interface, but they don't seem any worse than in KOTOR or Jade Empire which didn't necessarily have killer combat... Overall it is keeping me playing longer than any game in a LONG time. Only Halo 3 has come close for me in the past year.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 23, 2007, 04:32:51 AM »

This is, almost to a T, exactly how I feel-I am not really surprised about any of the issues in the game, they are not really bothering me, we were expecting or knew about all of them beforehand, and the simple scope and scale of the game, the story, the simply revolutionary conversation dial-it's all so, so cool (not to mention the graphics, music, and character models-I don't know what dep is smoking) that I am not sure I understand why people aren't finding something to like, even if the combat isn't clicking (and so far I am actually enjoying it a lot.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 23, 2007, 04:39:09 AM »

Left the Citadel, landed on my first world (looking for the scientist chick), and discovered that I absolutely hate the vehicle controls.  Even after an hour of driving around, I'm honestly spending more time fighting the controls than I am fighting enemies in this damn thing.  How much vehicle combat is there, as it could really end up being a deal-breaker for me if it's a major part of the game.

I'm finding that when I'm heavily involved in the story bits, I really like ME.  When I'm heavily involved in the combat bits, I get really frustrated.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 23, 2007, 05:08:28 AM »

I actually don't mind the combat but I think that has to do with the difficulty being set to casual. Combat in the Mako sucks, but is far from intolerable. One thing that bugs me is the sheer amount of information the game pours into the codex, I like all the info but the rate at which you get the information is too quick, I wish it was spaced out more.

Sean Lama
warning

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 23, 2007, 05:59:21 AM »

I'm worried I screwed the pooch.

Citadel quest spoiler:
Spoiler for Hiden:
I was supposed to find someone named Garren I think but I ended up doing something else first, instead of going to talk to some guy in a bar.  It originally said to find Garren in the medical clinic but he's not there and now the quest says if I run into him I should talk to him.  Did I mess this up somehow or will I run into him along the way?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 23, 2007, 06:29:23 AM »

You should be fine.  I'm pretty sure you can run into him somewhere else. 

Spoiler for Hiden:
  He joins your party so he's pretty much essential.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: