http://gamingtrend.com
October 24, 2014, 03:40:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mass Effect 3 - Impressions Incoming! Leviathan DLC released!  (Read 26122 times)
Andrew Wonser
Gaming Trend Senior Member

A porcupine quilt made of porcupine quills.

View Profile
« Reply #520 on: March 21, 2012, 06:24:47 PM »

For only $10 per character you can see what happens to each member of your team(s).

Honestly it's a good thing I decided to hold off on this one. As someone who values story and storytelling above all else everything I've read indicates that the level of excellence wasn't carried over from the first two.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #521 on: March 21, 2012, 06:35:46 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 21, 2012, 06:07:23 PM

more info on Mass Effect 3 plans in April. 

"Casey Hudson and the team are hard at work on a number of game content initiatives that will help answer the questions," he said, "providing more clarity for those seeking further closure to their journey. You'll hear more on this in April." Muzyka stressed that BioWare is actively working to maintain the story's artistic integrity, and that these new "content initiatives" are separate from the company's pre-existing plans to continue the Mass Effect universe's expansion. "Rest assured that your journey in the Mass Effect universe can, and will, continue."

'content initiatives'?  is that a new fancy way of saying DLC?

I'm thinking something like the motion comics used to make choices in ME3 and ME2 for those that didn't play the games but instead to be used as epilogues to various characters and species fates.  Maybe some post ending-codex updates as well. 

Quote from: Andrew Wonser on March 21, 2012, 06:24:47 PM

Honestly it's a good thing I decided to hold off on this one. As someone who values story and storytelling above all else everything I've read indicates that the level of excellence wasn't carried over from the first two.

Honestly, until the last five minutes of the game I would say that ME3 is the best game in the series.  But those last five minutes....
Andrew Wonser

A porcupine quilt made of porcupine quills.

View Profile
« Reply #522 on: March 22, 2012, 02:37:37 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on March 21, 2012, 06:35:46 PM

Honestly, until the last five minutes of the game I would say that ME3 is the best game in the series.  But those last five minutes....
There in lies the problem though, with those final moments. It's like having the greatest piece of pie ever and then someone comes up and craps on the last bite. No matter how great the experience was, up to that point, you can't help but dwell on that final piece and your opinion for the whole is tainted because of it.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #523 on: March 22, 2012, 09:36:49 AM »

Only if you let it :-)

A new one
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #524 on: March 22, 2012, 03:07:54 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on March 22, 2012, 09:36:49 AM

How?

Spoiler for Hiden:
The ending basically invalidates all of the previous choices in the game. Nothing you did mattered.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #525 on: March 22, 2012, 03:42:23 PM »

Quote from: Andrew Wonser on March 22, 2012, 02:37:37 AM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on March 21, 2012, 06:35:46 PM

There in lies the problem though, with those final moments. It's like having the greatest piece of pie ever and then someone comes up and craps on the last bite. No matter how great the experience was, up to that point, you can't help but dwell on that final piece and your opinion for the whole is tainted because of it.

This is a perfect analogy. ME3 is awesome. Just do yourself a favor and play the entire game up until you have to make the mad dash for the transporter beam. Then turn the game off, never restart it and make up your own ending. It WILL BE better than the one in the game, even if you have the imagination of a hamster, it will still be better.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #526 on: March 23, 2012, 07:41:51 PM »

Ah, new co-op event for this weekend. 25% experience bonus. OK, it's really more of a Perk than an event. smirk

Operation: Fortress details
*Another event is promised for next weekend, so I suspect maybe it'll involve another specific race.
===========
You can do what Scraper suggests with movies that have sucky endings too.

If you ever see The Last Exorcism, for example, for the love of you know who, pop the DVD out when The Ending begins. Basically, stop watching the movie at the point that seems like the "natural" ending.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 07:53:01 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #527 on: March 24, 2012, 09:41:12 AM »

Quote from: SkyLander on March 22, 2012, 03:07:54 PM

Quote from: Razgon on March 22, 2012, 09:36:49 AM

How?

Spoiler for Hiden:
The ending basically invalidates all of the previous choices in the game. Nothing you did mattered.

I mean reading the ending is bad, and wallowing in it on the internet isn't going to help. Just enjoy the game, and let the ending pass over you like a cool breeze on a summersday, and you still have a great game to play.

A new one
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #528 on: March 24, 2012, 12:43:47 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on March 23, 2012, 07:41:51 PM

Ah, new co-op event for this weekend. 25% experience bonus. OK, it's really more of a Perk than an event. smirk

Operation: Fortress details
*Another event is promised for next weekend, so I suspect maybe it'll involve another specific race.
===========
You can do what Scraper suggests with movies that have sucky endings too.

If you ever see The Last Exorcism, for example, for the love of you know who, pop the DVD out when The Ending begins. Basically, stop watching the movie at the point that seems like the "natural" ending.

So true about The Last Exorcism, only the movie wasn't that good before the sucky ending.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #529 on: March 24, 2012, 02:16:34 PM »

in case anyone has been waiting to play because of the face importing bug:

Ok, I have what I hope is some good news.

We have fixed the issue of faces not correctly importing into Mass Effect 3. It will be included as part of the next Mass Effect 3 patch.

The not completely good news is that I do not yet have a confirmed date for when the patch will be available. A new patch gets heavily tested by BioWare, EA, Microsoft and Sony before it can be released to the public. We all want to be sure that it fixes the issues it is supposed to fix and doesn't start any new issues (this is called testing or certification testing ). If a patch fails during testing, it is sent back, fixed again and retested until it passes. Then it is released to gamers. Until we know that the patch has passed certification testing, I don't want to give even a rough idea of the date, to prevent disappointment should it need further testing.

So I'm sorry I don't have the full answer you all want and are waiting for yet. When I can give you the date when the patch will be available I will.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/323/index/9661093

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #530 on: March 25, 2012, 07:48:47 PM »

I finally started ME3 last night after finshing all of ME2's side quests and DLC.  I have about 2 hours in and am back on the Normandy after leaving the Citadel.

I am SO bored.  There is nothing in this story that is driving me forward yet and I feel like I'm just watching a movie.  Please tell me it gets better.

Oh....and I did tell Chobot to get on to the Normandy.  Now I just gotta find the vendor that sells the PSPs and the licking can commence.  icon_twisted
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #531 on: March 26, 2012, 01:06:53 AM »

It does get better (though expect some annoyance with side quests), much better in fact. Then in the last 5 minutes it gets much, much worse. Try to enjoy the journey more than the destination.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #532 on: March 26, 2012, 03:25:59 AM »

i've been playing some mp lately. messed up my salarian eng so i just promoted him. almost to 20 again thanks to the xp boost.

pretty surprised that most people are fairly smart about it too. the one thing that annoys me is when someone runs too far away and you can't possibly res them in time. unless you're a ridiculous vanguard stay reasonably close imo. no way we can res you fighting 10 enemies.
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #533 on: March 26, 2012, 01:19:51 PM »

Quote from: Greggy_D on March 25, 2012, 07:48:47 PM

I finally started ME3 last night after finshing all of ME2's side quests and DLC.  I have about 2 hours in and am back on the Normandy after leaving the Citadel.

I am SO bored.  There is nothing in this story that is driving me forward yet and I feel like I'm just watching a movie.  Please tell me it gets better.

Oh....and I did tell Chobot to get on to the Normandy.  Now I just gotta find the vendor that sells the PSPs and the licking can commence.  icon_twisted

For what it's worth, I thought the first couple of hours were very slow and I also felt that I was watching a movie.  It picks up about 4 hours in, when you really start to determine your own course.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #534 on: March 26, 2012, 07:28:22 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on March 26, 2012, 01:19:51 PM

Quote from: Greggy_D on March 25, 2012, 07:48:47 PM

For what it's worth, I thought the first couple of hours were very slow and I also felt that I was watching a movie.  It picks up about 4 hours in, when you really start to determine your own course.

there will be a point where your quest log is overflowing.  granted, it's mainly due to the fact that you can get side missions listed long before you can actually access the area you need to go to but you'll soon find yourself running all over the place trying to find assets and stuff.

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #535 on: March 27, 2012, 07:55:57 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on March 26, 2012, 03:25:59 AM

i've been playing some mp lately. messed up my salarian eng so i just promoted him. almost to 20 again thanks to the xp boost.

pretty surprised that most people are fairly smart about it too. the one thing that annoys me is when someone runs too far away and you can't possibly res them in time. unless you're a ridiculous vanguard stay reasonably close imo. no way we can res you fighting 10 enemies.
Then what good are you to me? Harumph!  retard icon_lol

Had this surreal moment in a game last night where I was convinced the brown demo map had changed. I think part of it were these Cerebus troops refusing to jet down from their 3-4 floors up cargo containers. So we were shooting towards the sky and I was tossing lift grenades up into the containers to try to "lift" them out.

Also saw a couple buildings where a wall seemed to be missing, and my Krogan's melee attack simply didn't seem to work (it usually lets me head-butt but nothing would happen). I'm thinking just a buggy server or something.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #536 on: April 04, 2012, 05:17:48 AM »

a few days left, but Commander Shepard's Birth Certificate Questioned biggrin

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #537 on: April 05, 2012, 03:27:18 PM »

BioWare Announces Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut [FREE, through April 12]
REDWOOD CITY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--BioWare, a Label of Electronic Arts Inc. announced Mass Effect™ 3: Extended Cut, a downloadable content pack that will expand upon the events at the end of the critically acclaimed Action RPG. Through additional cinematic sequences and epilogue scenes, the Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut will give fans seeking further clarity to the ending of Mass Effect 3 deeper insights into how their personal journey concludes. Coming this summer, the Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut will be available for download on the Xbox 360® videogame and entertainment system, PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and PC for no extra charge*.

“We are all incredibly proud of Mass Effect 3 and the work done by Casey Hudson and team,” said Dr. Ray Muzyka, Co-Founder of BioWare and General Manager of EA’s BioWare Label. “Since launch, we have had time to listen to the feedback from our most passionate fans and we are responding. With the Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut we think we have struck a good balance in delivering the answers players are looking for while maintaining the team’s artistic vision for the end of this story arc in the Mass Effect universe.”

Casey Hudson, Executive Producer of the Mass Effect series added, “We have reprioritized our post-launch development efforts to provide the fans who want more closure with even more context and clarity to the ending of the game, in a way that will feel more personalized for each player.”
The fine print:
* OFFER EXPIRES APRIL 12, 2014. INTERNET CONNECTION AND ORIGIN (EA), XBOX LIVE, OR PLAYSTATION NETWORK ACCOUNT REQUIRED. VALID ONLY AT THE ORIGIN CLIENT SOFTWARE (WWW.ORIGIN.COM/ABOUT), XBOX LIVE MARKETPLACE OR PLAYSTATION STORE.

VALID WHEREVER MASS EFFECT 3 IS SOLD. MASS EFFECT 3 FULL GAME AND ORIGIN ACCOUNT (EA) REQUIRED TO USE/PLAY DOWNLOAD.

OFFER MAY NOT BE SUBSTITUTED, EXCHANGED, SOLD OR REDEEMED FOR CASH OR OTHER GOODS OR SERVICES. MAY NOT BE COMBINED WITH ANY OTHER OFFER, GIFT CARD, REBATE OR DISCOUNT COUPON. PRODUCT SUBJECT TO AVAILABILITY. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED, TAXED OR RESTRICTED BY LAW. LIMIT ONE OFFER PER PERSON. YOU MUST MEET THE MINIMUM AGE REQUIREMENTS, WHICH VARY BY COUNTRY, TO REGISTER FOR AN ORIGIN ACCOUNT (EA). EA MAY RETIRE ONLINE FEATURES AFTER 30 DAYS NOTICE POSTED ON WWW.EA.COM/2/SERVICE-UPDATES.

And here as usual is the translation by former newspaper business editor Blackjack (it's a work in progress, refresh for translations  smirk):
REDWOOD CITY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--BioWare, a Label of Electronic Arts Inc.'s bitch, announced Mass Effect™ 3: Extended Cut PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF F***NG ALMIGHTY, FORGIVE US ALREADY!, a downloadable content pack that will expand upon attempt to fix the FUBARed events at the so-called end of the critically acclaimed Action RPG with the ending that provoked a billion rants.

Through additional cinematic sequences and epilogue scenes to give our voice actors and animators something to do, the Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut will give fans seeking further clarity to the a less FUBARed ending to Mass Effect 3 deeper insights into how their personal journey concludes. Coming this summer, the Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut will be available for download on the Xbox 360® videogame and entertainment system, PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and PC for no extra charge* (after April 12 we are gonna ream you all for as much DLC bucks as possible!).

“We are all incredibly proud of Mass Effect 3 and the work done by Casey Hudson and team,” despite the historic level of fan-hatred and agony their ending has caused us, said Dr. Ray Muzyka, Co-Founder of BioWare and General Manager of EA’s BioWare Label. “Since launch, we have had time to listen to the  feedback rants, pleas, screams, threats and diatribes from our most passionate fans and we are responding desperately trying to cover our asses. With the Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut we think we have struck a good balance in delivering the less F'd up ending answers players are looking for while maintaining the team’s artistic nearsighted vision for the despised and hated end of this story arc in the Mass Effect universe.”

Casey Hudson, Executive Producer of the Mass Effect series added, “We have reprioritized our post-launch development efforts to provide the fans who want more closure with even more context and clarity to to be less pissed off by the ending of the game, in a way that will feel more personalized and less F'd up for each player.”
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 03:43:13 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Jaymeson
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #538 on: April 05, 2012, 04:17:57 PM »

So it's free until April 2014.......not sure there will be a huge addressable market for paying for the DLC 2 years from now.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #539 on: April 05, 2012, 05:53:29 PM »

One would think they will have a GOTY version that will include the DLC on disc (and a GH version after that).

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #540 on: April 05, 2012, 05:54:44 PM »

and to think I just uninstalled the game.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #541 on: April 06, 2012, 02:16:20 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on April 05, 2012, 05:53:29 PM

One would think they will have a GOTY version that will include the DLC on disc (and a GH version after that).

EA claims that there are no plans to charge for the DLC after the listed date.

Because I can,
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #542 on: April 06, 2012, 03:12:30 AM »

EA claims that there are no plans to charge for the DLC after the listed date.

so its up until 2014, but ea has no plans to charge after that date - they made a terrible mistake and leaked the shutdown date for ME3 servers! slywink
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #543 on: April 06, 2012, 11:51:14 AM »

It's likely that in 2 years there will be a new edition with dlc included.
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #544 on: April 06, 2012, 12:38:06 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on April 06, 2012, 11:51:14 AM

It's likely that in 2 years there will be a new edition with dlc included.

I would not count on that.  ME2 is over two years old and there is not a version with all the dlc.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #545 on: April 06, 2012, 04:04:20 PM »

Well, let me rephrase that. In 2 years there will be a new generation of consoles and a new PSN store. Tongue
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #546 on: April 06, 2012, 06:32:17 PM »

new bit of DLC, albeit it for the MP side of the game.  at least it's free.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #547 on: April 09, 2012, 04:58:14 PM »

Patch!

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #548 on: April 11, 2012, 09:10:30 PM »

little non-spoilerific blog post on the BBB website about the complaints filed:

• “Experience the beginning, middle, and end of an emotional story unlike any other, where the decisions you make completely shape your experience and outcome”.
  • “Along the way, your choices drive powerful outcomes, including relationships with key characters, the fate of entire civilizations, and even radically different ending scenarios.”

One gamer, in particular, who goes by El_Spiko was so upset by all of this that he filed a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) and posted his action online, which created quite a frenzy in the media and the online world.

The issue at stake here is, did Bio Ware falsely advertise?  Technically, yes, they did.  In the first bullet point, where it states “the decisions you make completely shape your experience”, there is no indecision in that statement.  It is an absolute.  The next statement is not so absolute.  It states “your choices drive powerful outcomes”.  A consumer would have to very carefully analyze this statement to come to a conclusion that the game’s outcome is not “wholly” determined by one’s choices.  This statement, really though, is very subject to interpretation.  Also this is just a small example of their advertising and does not take into account anything that might have been said, as far as their public relations and other advertising campaigns.

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #549 on: April 12, 2012, 07:55:57 AM »

Eh, I'm not sure a BBB filing was anything more than way too much gamer rage. I think that and the FTC filing has some more to hurt the cause than to help.

Then again, there are exact interview quotes that show that they pretty much lied straight to our faces.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #550 on: April 12, 2012, 08:29:27 PM »

speaking of faces: whoops.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #551 on: April 13, 2012, 10:05:25 PM »

1.3 millions sold in the first month, not counting digital sales. 

that's a lot of hearts broken  icon_twisted

Because I can,
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #552 on: April 13, 2012, 10:28:27 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 13, 2012, 10:05:25 PM

1.3 millions sold in the first month, not counting digital sales. 

that's a lot of hearts broken  icon_twisted
A lot of people I know managed to return it.  I think it was Amazon that was accepting returns no questions asked.
Dunamis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #553 on: April 16, 2012, 02:12:31 AM »

I tried the multiplayer and actually really like it.  Pick up games are pretty fun.

Question - It seems that everyone can run but I haven't been able to figure out how.  I'm the slowest person on the battlefield.  Any suggestions?

I only do two things; kick ass and chew bubblegum.  Right now, I'm all out of bubblegum...
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #554 on: April 16, 2012, 11:48:46 AM »

Hold down the spacebar while moving forward. That's the default for running.

Yes, that means you have a lot of functions on that one button.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #555 on: April 16, 2012, 03:06:01 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on April 16, 2012, 11:48:46 AM

it gets quite maddening when you want to run but instead find yourself ducking into cover instead  icon_lol

Because I can,
Dunamis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #556 on: April 16, 2012, 06:01:01 PM »

Thanks for the replies.  I'll try it out tonight.

I only do two things; kick ass and chew bubblegum.  Right now, I'm all out of bubblegum...
Asharak
Gaming Trend Reader

Elitist Ash-hole

View Profile
« Reply #557 on: April 18, 2012, 02:38:50 AM »

Past is prologue: for completely unrelated reasons, I was browsing Babylon 5 Youtube clips tonight and, as the top two comments already point out, JMS long ago wrote a scene that could almost have been grafted into the ending of ME3 without changing a word and been nearly perfect: what Sheridan would have said to the Catalyst (obvious spoiler warning: if you haven't seen Babylon 5, that video will spoil one it's most pivotal and impactful scenes).

- Ash
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #558 on: April 18, 2012, 07:24:56 PM »

Quote from: Asharak on April 18, 2012, 02:38:50 AM

Past is prologue: for completely unrelated reasons, I was browsing Babylon 5 Youtube clips tonight and, as the top two comments already point out, JMS long ago wrote a scene that could almost have been grafted into the ending of ME3 without changing a word and been nearly perfect: what Sheridan would have said to the Catalyst (obvious spoiler warning: if you haven't seen Babylon 5, that video will spoil one it's most pivotal and impactful scenes).

- Ash

That scene is the biggest reason that I find B5 to be overrated. I hated that resolution to the war.

Having said that, it's a hell of a lot better than the ME3 ending!

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #559 on: April 19, 2012, 05:44:58 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on April 16, 2012, 11:48:46 AM

We're all a broken record on the latter, but it still annoys me. Most of us simply wanted one extra key either for rolling, or for taking cover. That's really all it would take to avoid some of the comical goofs that happen.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: