http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 06:53:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mass Effect 3 - Impressions Incoming! Leviathan DLC released!  (Read 23710 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #480 on: March 14, 2012, 07:27:36 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on March 14, 2012, 06:51:29 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on March 14, 2012, 06:41:13 PM

Quote from: Teggy on March 14, 2012, 04:42:09 PM

It decays at about 1% per day, so unless you are planning on taking a month to finish, you're fine. 6000 effective strength seems to be the top you can possibly need, but you can get just as good endings at over 5000.

when I went to bed at 5am this morning I was at 100%, less than 12 hours later I'm at 98%.

Maybe you should try harder.

damn me and my need for sleep!

my game has started acting wonkier than usual last night-  for example last night it started playing Mass Relay cutscenes whenever I traveled to a different cluster within a system, and when I did MP earlier it just dumped me directly into a game without going to the lobby.  I guess the Reapers are getting desperate to stop me! icon_lol

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #481 on: March 14, 2012, 08:51:55 PM »

Ok, maybe I'm slow...

But those levels Destructor listed are WITH multiplayer, or without?  E.g. you need [the highest number he listed] in SP, or that needs to be your number once you apply the MP multiplier?

You get your final score multiplied by whatever percentage your MP is at?  So if you have 1000, and your MP is at 62%, you get 620?
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #482 on: March 14, 2012, 08:54:57 PM »

Quote from: kratz on March 14, 2012, 08:51:55 PM

Ok, maybe I'm slow...

But those levels Destructor listed are WITH multiplayer, or without?  E.g. you need [the highest number he listed] in SP, or that needs to be your number once you apply the MP multiplier?

You get your final score multiplied by whatever percentage your MP is at?  So if you have 1000, and your MP is at 62%, you get 620?

It's the effective (modified) strength you need to be concerned with, not the raw strength. The computer on the CIC deck shows it all.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #483 on: March 14, 2012, 09:38:02 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on March 14, 2012, 08:54:57 PM

Quote from: kratz on March 14, 2012, 08:51:55 PM

Ok, maybe I'm slow...

But those levels Destructor listed are WITH multiplayer, or without?  E.g. you need [the highest number he listed] in SP, or that needs to be your number once you apply the MP multiplier?

You get your final score multiplied by whatever percentage your MP is at?  So if you have 1000, and your MP is at 62%, you get 620?

It's the effective (modified) strength you need to be concerned with, not the raw strength. The computer on the CIC deck shows it all.

yep, it's Military strength x Galactic Readiness = Effective Military Strength.  I'm towards the end and unless there are a bunch of systems that are going to be unlocked I may just hit 8000 MS, which, with a GR of 50% would give me 4000 EMS.

on another note, I'm guessing Galactic Readiness decay is 1% every 6 hours, because since my post almost 3 hours ago it's gone down another percent.  too bad they don't let you bank excess percentage points, because I got 3% maybe 2 hours ago which would have put me at 101%

Because I can,
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #484 on: March 14, 2012, 09:46:24 PM »

Sooo....

The blue part of the bar is Effective Military Strength, and Military Strength is the grey part as well?  Trying to remember what this screen looks like... does it actually give you a number there as well, i guess?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #485 on: March 14, 2012, 09:50:25 PM »

yep, it looks that way.  It looks like the blue is what you got, and the grey is the maximum of what you could have if the Readiness Rating was at 100%.

Because I can,
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #486 on: March 14, 2012, 10:15:51 PM »

Ok, that makes much more sense.

Thanks for not mentioning anything about it, Bioware.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #487 on: March 15, 2012, 12:06:10 AM »

Quote from: kratz on March 14, 2012, 10:15:51 PM

Ok, that makes much more sense.

Thanks for not mentioning anything about it, Bioware.

But randomly tossed in multiplayer just to see the 'best' possible ending in an otherwise single player game is a FANTASTIC idea! Right? Who's with me? slywink

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #488 on: March 15, 2012, 02:32:30 AM »

I haven't beaten it, but those numbers are straight from the guide.  there are more details on what each level gets you and it hinges on the collector base.

and there is a secret ending with a 2nd playthrough, but nothing more is said. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #489 on: March 15, 2012, 03:22:01 AM »

I can't remember the collector base from ME2... no idea what I did.

So when I went to play MP tonight, I was still at the 63% I got last night... so who knows.

I finally got to play another map... which was the very first map I played.  Are there only two good maps or something?  Why is nobody playing the other ones? Just bad luck?
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #490 on: March 15, 2012, 03:53:50 AM »

that's the last thing you do in the game after the end boss.  decide what to do with it.  I haven't read to see if it was better to keep it or destroy it, so I hope it doesn't bite me in the ass.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #491 on: March 15, 2012, 04:06:03 AM »

I think ME3 tells you what you did with the Collector base when you load your save for the first time. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #492 on: March 15, 2012, 08:42:32 AM »

just finished.  had 7365 Effective Military Effectiveness.

Spoiler for Hiden:
WTF just happened?

more thoughts on it here later.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #493 on: March 15, 2012, 08:58:48 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on March 12, 2012, 06:23:25 PM

Finished the game

Spoiler for Hiden:
Very disappointed by the endings. Not what the ME games were building up to.

I absolutely hate games that have meaningless and arbitrary choices at the end that invalidate everything else done in the game. Oh and the usual arbitrary and cliche heroic sacrifice, despite the technology represented in the game being more than capable.

Not to mention an ending, character, and plot elements that were never built up or hinted at.

It's like they couldn't write themselves out of the Reaper sized hole and just rubbed crap against the wall until something looked half-decent.

Will discuss more once others have finished.

that's kind of how I feel.  it's almost like:

Spoiler for Hiden:
the people who wrote the ending didn't play the first 2 and a 3/4's of Mass Effect.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #494 on: March 15, 2012, 10:06:56 PM »

First DLC?

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #495 on: March 16, 2012, 02:49:55 AM »

debating whether or not to start up my Renegade playthrough right away.  I figure I could save myself the trouble and declare myself done when I get ready to take back Earth.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #496 on: March 16, 2012, 07:55:06 AM »

character deaths and how to avoid them.  needless to say 'spoilers'.  I paged through it and saw that:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Mordin can be saved if you're renegade enough.  his death was a bummer, I was hoping he'd be back as a squad member.

also, I didn't think to keep on talking to the Shepard VI.  looks like it keeps on going: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwWStWfXeTs&feature=player_embedded
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 07:58:05 AM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #497 on: March 16, 2012, 08:19:15 AM »

hmmm.. Mp was originally going to be a stand alone game.   maybe it'll still see the light of day.

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #498 on: March 16, 2012, 11:58:55 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 16, 2012, 08:19:15 AM

hmmm.. Mp was originally going to be a stand alone game.   maybe it'll still see the light of day.
I'm glad it didn't. Death to the FPS!  icon_twisted aka, since I've retired from FPSs due to chronic motion sickness.  High five!

A couple guys at another forum were kvetching about the ME series not being first person and I was like, you've got 5,000 first person shooters last I looked. Just how many do you need? I have exactly one good co-op third person shooter (not including mmorpgs in the count), last I looked. This one.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 12:01:02 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #499 on: March 16, 2012, 03:50:36 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on March 16, 2012, 11:58:55 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on March 16, 2012, 08:19:15 AM

hmmm.. Mp was originally going to be a stand alone game.   maybe it'll still see the light of day.
I'm glad it didn't. Death to the FPS!  icon_twisted aka, since I've retired from FPSs due to chronic motion sickness.  High five!

A couple guys at another forum were kvetching about the ME series not being first person and I was like, you've got 5,000 first person shooters last I looked. Just how many do you need? I have exactly one good co-op third person shooter (not including mmorpgs in the count), last I looked. This one.

maybe someone could just make a BF3 mod.

Because I can,
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #500 on: March 16, 2012, 04:18:18 PM »

you've got 5,000 first person shooters last I looked. Just how many do you need? I have exactly one good co-op third person shooter (not including mmorpgs in the count), last I looked. This one.
Exactly.  We don't need more first person shooters, the market is full of good FPS choices already.  Isn't the running joke right now that every franchise will be turned into a FPS if the big publishers have their way?  Sid Meir's Pirates 2?  FPS with kinect dancing.  Civilization VI?  FPS with build options that can be gestured with Kinect.  The possibilities are endless.
namatoki
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #501 on: March 16, 2012, 05:43:47 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 14, 2012, 09:38:02 PM

too bad they don't let you bank excess percentage points, because I got 3% maybe 2 hours ago which would have put me at 101%

If your Galactic Readiness is at 100%, every map you do after gives you bonus xp for your multiplayer character.  You get a 5% xp bonus.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #502 on: March 17, 2012, 02:05:38 AM »

Quote from: Roguetad on March 16, 2012, 04:18:18 PM

you've got 5,000 first person shooters last I looked. Just how many do you need? I have exactly one good co-op third person shooter (not including mmorpgs in the count), last I looked. This one.
Exactly.  We don't need more first person shooters, the market is full of good FPS choices already.  Isn't the running joke right now that every franchise will be turned into a FPS if the big publishers have their way?  Sid Meir's Pirates 2?  FPS with kinect dancing.  Civilization VI?  FPS with build options that can be gestured with Kinect.  The possibilities are endless.

actually, some of those might be kinda cool.  controlling Civ 6 with hand gestures?  IN!

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #503 on: March 17, 2012, 05:15:23 AM »

another bonus code that you can get:

If the art book isn't catching you're eye, Dark Horse is giving Mass Effect fans another way to unlock these bonus items. The Mass Effect: Invasion mini-series available from the Dark Horse Digital store will also grant you the Reinforcement Pack's redemption code.

Sadly, this offer isn't going to stand much longer. While you still have plenty of time to redeem the code, the book(s) have to be purchased by March 21st. If you want a new assault rifle to show off to your co-op buddies you should probably act fast. Head over to Digital.Darkhorse.com for all the info and keep in mind the purchase has to be made through the website on your PC or Mac, not through the Dark Horse Digital app on iOS or Android.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #504 on: March 17, 2012, 04:47:28 PM »

Gibbed has released a save game editor.  it's a bit complicated for the war assets bit but at least you won't need to do MP if you don't want to for a readiness boost.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #505 on: March 18, 2012, 05:31:38 AM »

this made me LOL:

Spoiler for ending spoilers (not really):

« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 05:33:54 AM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #506 on: March 18, 2012, 07:47:44 AM »

wow... just wow....  filing a complaint to the FTC about the ending?

(no spoilers in the article)

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #507 on: March 18, 2012, 09:18:46 AM »

Now that's just stupidity.

And honestly, stupid stuff like this gets done all the time. It's just that no one reports on it until something else happens to coincide.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #508 on: March 18, 2012, 05:04:48 PM »

I finished the game yesterday, having completed every single mission and task that was ever assigned to me during the game. In other words, when I started the final mission that was the only active entry in my mission journal, and I had no failed missions. Playing as a paragon who did things pretty damn well, I had an effective strength of exactly 3500 in the end. I won't touch the MP even if I get paid for it. To know that even with all the time I spent maximizing my military strength (total playtime was about 45 hours) I still had two possible ending permutations completely out of my reach infuriates me. It also further shows that my decision to boycott Bioware from now on is the right one. Under EA they have become way, way too focused on the money, doing everything in their might to squeeze just a few more dollars out of us and making sure we're continually told in the SP game that we haven't bought into their agenda enough yet (through the readiness stat).

On the other hand, I actually sort of like the ending. I can see why others might not, but for me it worked. This may be because I've read quite a bit of classic sci-fi, and stuff like what happened in the end of ME3 is very typical of that genre. It was surprising, but it also made sense, was alluded to in all three games (even though that was probably accidental for the first two), and tied everything together without revealing too much about the fate of the galaxy (trying not to go into spoiler territory here).

What probably caught people off guard is that Mass Effect's story (all three games) is honestly quite weak and clichéd, whereas the ending suddenly turns everything on its head and goes into the realm of philosophy. What works so well with this series is the character development and the characters themselves. Remove them and you're left with a story that is paper-thin. Games like Freespace have a very similar story that is told much, much better (again, apart from the characters).

I can honestly say that if the ending to the game was what everyone probably expected, in other words:
Spoiler for Hiden:
the Reapers being destroyed by the MacGuffin and Shepard probably dying,
most of us would have been left bitterly disappointed (or at least I hope so). An ending you can see coming even before a game begins is not a good ending.
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #509 on: March 18, 2012, 05:53:30 PM »

Ah, but I could live with the ending options if they were then built into if nothing else more fulfilling cutscenes or updates ala Fallout
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #510 on: March 18, 2012, 05:59:58 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on March 18, 2012, 05:04:48 PM

I won't touch the MP even if I get paid for it. To know that even with all the time I spent maximizing my military strength (total playtime was about 45 hours) I still had two possible ending permutations completely out of my reach infuriates me.

This really bugs me as well.  Especially since I'm playing on 360, so playing MP would require me to additionally pay for an XBL Gold membership which I have absolutely no need for.  A really awful choice by EA.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #511 on: March 19, 2012, 07:41:30 AM »

funny how a little bleep can change things: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=5fp1H-FYPmY#!

no real spoilers that I can think of, just a bunch of conversations, but watch at your own risk.

Because I can,
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #512 on: March 19, 2012, 02:01:12 PM »

It's ending stuff just so people know.

Spoiler for Hiden:

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #513 on: March 19, 2012, 03:35:19 PM »

Quote from: SkyLander on March 19, 2012, 02:01:12 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
OK, but I remember in Return of the King rolling my eyes when Gandalf the White suddenly could conjure giant Eagles (?!) to help Frodo and Samwise escape Mount Doom. Really?

I think that would be a better optional ME3 Ending: Shepard is magically endowed with the ability to summon millions of Giant Flying Eagles out of his ass, thus turning the tide of the batttle, only to see the remnants of earth die from avian flu from all the giant bird shit!  icon_eek

And I tell you, even THAT would be better received than the current ME3 ending...
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 03:36:50 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #514 on: March 20, 2012, 08:08:43 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on March 19, 2012, 03:35:19 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
OK, but I remember in Return of the King rolling my eyes when Gandalf the White suddenly could conjure giant Eagles (?!) to help Frodo and Samwise escape Mount Doom. Really?

I think that would be a better optional ME3 Ending: Shepard is magically endowed with the ability to summon millions of Giant Flying Eagles out of his ass, thus turning the tide of the batttle, only to see the remnants of earth die from avian flu from all the giant bird shit!  icon_eek

And I tell you, even THAT would be better received than the current ME3 ending...

what color would the eagles be?

Because I can,
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #515 on: March 20, 2012, 10:42:53 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on March 19, 2012, 03:35:19 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

I think that would be a better optional ME3 Ending: Shepard is magically endowed with the ability to summon millions of Giant Flying Eagles out of his ass, thus turning the tide of the batttle, only to see the remnants of earth die from avian flu from all the giant bird shit!  icon_eek

I take it you didn't read the hobbit, or pay attention to how he escaped Orthanc. Gandolf has a history with giant eagles.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #516 on: March 20, 2012, 11:48:19 PM »

I think his point was why didn't Gandalf have the eagles fly the ring to the Crack of Doom in the first place.

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #517 on: March 21, 2012, 12:15:24 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 20, 2012, 11:48:19 PM

I think his point was why didn't Gandalf have the eagles fly the ring to the Crack of Doom in the first place.

I think JRR Tolkien answered that himself(if you listen to the commentary on one of the LOTR films-maybe Fran Walsh or Phillipa Boyans,it was a woman saying it anyway)and they say that the Eagles are not the 'Taxi service'(and therefore not a delivery service either) to Humans and related folk.
Even in The Hobbit they did not come off as though they were particularly fond of us,LOL..Gandalf had used up all his airmiles anyway Tongue

ANYWAY....

Ken Levine chips in on the ME3 ending,saying that fans would end up disappointed if fans got their way,i can see what he means on some of the stuff he says,but overall i think he has missed the point on actual Mass Effect 3
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-20-mass-effect-3-ending-controversy-saddens-bioshock-creator
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 12:17:46 AM by metallicorphan » Logged

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #518 on: March 21, 2012, 03:58:30 AM »

now this looks freaking awesome:  a replica of the Omni Tool which a rotating piece for the blade.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #519 on: March 21, 2012, 06:07:23 PM »

more info on Mass Effect 3 plans in April. 

"Casey Hudson and the team are hard at work on a number of game content initiatives that will help answer the questions," he said, "providing more clarity for those seeking further closure to their journey. You'll hear more on this in April." Muzyka stressed that BioWare is actively working to maintain the story's artistic integrity, and that these new "content initiatives" are separate from the company's pre-existing plans to continue the Mass Effect universe's expansion. "Rest assured that your journey in the Mass Effect universe can, and will, continue."

'content initiatives'?  is that a new fancy way of saying DLC?

Because I can,
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: