http://gamingtrend.com
November 27, 2014, 10:11:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mass Effect 3 - Impressions Incoming! Leviathan DLC released!  (Read 29856 times)
Blackadar
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #360 on: March 06, 2012, 02:51:48 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on March 06, 2012, 01:56:16 PM

Good review, though is Razgon right?  Is multiplayer required for a good ending?  Or can you get there single-player?

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: March 06, 2012, 02:52:42 PM »

Quote from: Asharak on March 06, 2012, 02:42:43 PM

Quote from: Scraper on March 06, 2012, 02:37:27 PM

Any more impressions on whether the DLC is worth $10? Does it provide an actual mission that is interesting or is it just a new character with a brief 30 minute intro mission? (cough Kasumi).

I don't have it yet (didn't buy the Collectors edition and don't see it listed separately for purchase, although I assume that will happen later today) but this page on EA's site describes the new mission as "about 35 minutes long".

No idea whether they're interesting minutes or not.

- Ash

PS> Hey, I liked Kasumi. Shadow Strike was awesome.

I like Kasumi too, but her mission was pretty short. Also I think Kasumi was just 560 points instead of 800, so that's a little bit easier to swallow.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: March 06, 2012, 02:54:50 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on March 06, 2012, 02:51:48 PM

Good review, though is Razgon right?  Is multiplayer required for a good ending?  Or can you get there single-player?

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/03/06/mass-effect-3-war-assets-and-readiness-how-multiplayer-affects-your-ending/

its apparently quite hard to get the good ending without MP

A new one
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #363 on: March 06, 2012, 02:59:18 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on March 06, 2012, 02:54:50 PM

Quote from: Blackadar on March 06, 2012, 02:51:48 PM

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/03/06/mass-effect-3-war-assets-and-readiness-how-multiplayer-affects-your-ending/

its apparently quite hard to get the good ending without MP

I wonder if that's starting a player from scratch in ME3 or with an imported save.  It *shouldn't* make a difference, but in my particular case it very well may as I'm starting with a "perfect paragon" ME1-ME2 import.

Still, yeah, if that's the case Bioware should be slammed for that decision.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #364 on: March 06, 2012, 03:09:45 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on March 06, 2012, 02:59:18 PM

Still, yeah, if that's the case Bioware should be slammed for that decision.

They should be slammed for allowing multiplayer to influence singleplayer in the first place. I hope this is the first and last time anyone ever does that kind of crap.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #365 on: March 06, 2012, 03:31:49 PM »

Well, I'm gonna kill a few more reapers just to pay them back for Emily. But who knows, I still haven't beaten the game, might find her still on Earth miraculously, but I doubt it.

So yeah, Bioware is doing a good job of making us hate the Reapers more than usual.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #366 on: March 06, 2012, 03:40:12 PM »

I don't begrudge anyone complaining about co-op bonuses/rewards, I just hope some folks add me to their Origin friends list so we can do some co-op later on.  icon_smile Even if you're 100% convinced you won't like it, you should try it imho, preferably with some clown like me who won't mouth-breathe in his headset.  icon_smile

Eurogamer's take today: (10/10 rating) [Xbox360, don't think they have a PC review yet]
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-06-mass-effect-3-review
The game's non-shooter roots do poke through occasionally, though. The cover system is a little too sticky, and sometimes runs into trouble by mapping too many context sensitive movements commands to one button. The addition of melee moves, via the new Omniblade weapon, makes face-to-face encounters more survivable, even if the camera doesn't always want to play along in close quarters.

Any frustration that might arise from these wobbles is eradicated by an excellent autosaving checkpoint system that never leaves you retracing more than a minute or so of gameplay. Across over fifty hours of gameplay, I made less than ten manual saves. It's that efficient.
From my PC demo experience, as much as I love the co-op, I do often find myself struggling to get the camera in the correct direction for melee. And while I love the cover system mostly, if there's a path through two cover points, I often find myself bouncing between the two cover points, unable to just... walk. I usually just back up in that case and then walk. A little nutty in the heat of action though.

As with any game that dares to be ambitious, deconstruct Mass Effect 3 into its constituent parts and of course there are flaws, but taken as a whole this is arguably the first truly modern blockbuster, a game that transcends the genre boundaries of old and takes what it needs from across the gaming spectrum in order to finish its story in the most compelling, thrilling, heartbreaking way possible. Few gaming sagas come to a definitive close, but this one signs off in breathtaking style.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 03:43:04 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Asharak
Gaming Trend Reader

Elitist Ash-hole

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: March 06, 2012, 03:42:48 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on March 06, 2012, 03:40:12 PM

I just hope some folks add me to their Origin friends list so we can do some co-op later on.

Will do when I get home. smile

- Ash
Asharak
Gaming Trend Reader

Elitist Ash-hole

View Profile
« Reply #368 on: March 06, 2012, 03:47:56 PM »

Minor question: is there any way to turn off the voice-reading of the Codex entries? I can read far faster than that guy can talk and it's very distracting to have to keep tuning him out.

- Ash
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #369 on: March 06, 2012, 06:51:41 PM »

I just received my two pre-order weapons. I went through the steps on origin. Will they be in the game when I get to my locker? Or do I have to do more installing?

I also copied my last save from ME-2 and pasted it into ME-3 saves folder. But nothing is showing up in game.

Great to be back on the Normandy/

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #370 on: March 06, 2012, 07:02:43 PM »

I didn't have to move my save files, it picked them up from where ME2 had them stored.

I am arkon262 on Origin, if anyone wants to try out some multiplayer sometime in the evenings this week.
namatoki
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #371 on: March 06, 2012, 07:06:01 PM »

I pre-ordered on Origin, but I don't think I got my pre-order weapons.  What did you do to get them?

Any bonus equipment (i.e. pre-order, from the Kingdom of Amalur demo, etc.) that has been installed will show up in your weapon and armor outfiting interface.  The Amalur armor looks kinda neat.

I imported my ME2 saves into ME3 by just leaving the save games where they were.  The path was (your PC username)/Documents/Bioware/Mass Effect 2/Save.  ME3 found my save games and I imported my characters with no problem.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #372 on: March 06, 2012, 07:09:51 PM »

ME3 imports my saves just fine, but for some bizarre reason it can't recognize my character's facial data, which means I had to reconstruct his looks.

First impression is that it feels a bit clunky initially, but so did the other two games. The graphics are underwhelming so far, and the story begins very linearly. I'm sure it'll pick up the pace soon enough though. smile
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: March 06, 2012, 07:27:04 PM »

Quote from: namatoki on March 06, 2012, 07:06:01 PM

I pre-ordered on Origin, but I don't think I got my pre-order weapons.  What did you do to get them?

Any bonus equipment (i.e. pre-order, from the Kingdom of Amalur demo, etc.) that has been installed will show up in your weapon and armor outfiting interface.  The Amalur armor looks kinda neat.

I imported my ME2 saves into ME3 by just leaving the save games where they were.  The path was (your PC username)/Documents/Bioware/Mass Effect 2/Save.  ME3 found my save games and I imported my characters with no problem.

Origin sent me the codes for the two weapons via e-mail with a link to get them...

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #374 on: March 06, 2012, 07:27:45 PM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on March 06, 2012, 12:21:34 PM

Alienware is giving out free keys for a special Sniper Rifle that is the only one that fires high powered electrified rounds.  Theres a limited number of keys  ( about 2000 left )  get them here:  http://www.alienwarearena.com/giveaway/mass-effect-3-giveaway

This is for the PC version only btw.

just grabbed one, and now they have 4124 left.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: March 06, 2012, 08:22:33 PM »

figured out why my saves won't showing up. somehow my end game save is gone. just used an editor to set the flag and it worked fine then. pretty strange the save file would vanish but maybe something happened while i was backing the saves up before building my pc a few weeks ago.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #376 on: March 06, 2012, 10:02:46 PM »

I'll say one good thing about Origin (which is a bad thing from EA's perspective, but who cares what they think anyway). It's easy to circumvent their release day check with a proxy. For some reason the store I ordered the game from sent it out three days early (they usually send two days early), and it took one day to reach me. Instead of waiting two whole days with the game already installed, I set up a proxy to the US, started ME3, and it all worked flawlessly at that point. Now that the game has been unlocked, it doesn't check to see if I'm in the US any more. Steam is much, much better at stopping these kinds of shenanigans.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: March 06, 2012, 10:45:08 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on March 06, 2012, 10:02:46 PM

I'll say one good thing about Origin (which is a bad thing from EA's perspective, but who cares what they think anyway). It's easy to circumvent their release day check with a proxy. For some reason the store I ordered the game from sent it out three days early (they usually send two days early), and it took one day to reach me. Instead of waiting two whole days with the game already installed, I set up a proxy to the US, started ME3, and it all worked flawlessly at that point. Now that the game has been unlocked, it doesn't check to see if I'm in the US any more. Steam is much, much better at stopping these kinds of shenanigans.

Not really, I used the same trick to play Skyrim early via Steam.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: March 07, 2012, 12:22:08 AM »

I'll be buying this in 3-4 weeks like I do all PC games, after it's been patched for performance optimization (and cheaper).

Let us know how the game runs in your impressions.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #379 on: March 07, 2012, 12:47:15 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on March 07, 2012, 12:22:08 AM

I'll be buying this in 3-4 weeks like I do all PC games, after it's been patched for performance optimization (and cheaper).

it seems to be running pretty smooth.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: March 07, 2012, 01:56:01 AM »

Yeah, runs smooth for the most part. Graphically so far nothing really wows me. It's nice looking enough for a story driven game.
I'm hoping I'm a late bloomer in this game. I'm still in the very early goings and the story hasn't grabbed me yet.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #381 on: March 07, 2012, 02:12:53 AM »

It's built for 5 year old consoles now, so everything looks good and it runs silky smooth, but nothing really looks amazing technically. But damn if they haven't improved their artistic design.

I finally got some co-op in today with the retail game and thankfully, it has the same progression pace as the demo.

The equipment packs you can buy with in-game credits, one game should get you enough in-game credits for the lowest level pack. Two games gets you 1.5x enough for the second tier equipment pack.

They've also toned down Silver difficulty, it's still difficult, but not mind bogglingly so. Playing at higher difficulties nets you much more credits and XP, even if you fail.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 02:23:29 AM by Turtle » Logged
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #382 on: March 07, 2012, 03:26:08 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 06, 2012, 07:27:45 PM

Quote from: rshetts2 on March 06, 2012, 12:21:34 PM

Alienware is giving out free keys for a special Sniper Rifle that is the only one that fires high powered electrified rounds.  Theres a limited number of keys  ( about 2000 left )  get them here:  http://www.alienwarearena.com/giveaway/mass-effect-3-giveaway

This is for the PC version only btw.

just grabbed one, and now they have 4124 left.

They now have over 8k available. If they keep giving more keys out, they'll end up with millions available!

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #383 on: March 07, 2012, 06:10:38 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on March 07, 2012, 12:22:08 AM

It ran beautifully tonight on my aging (2008 quad-core) system and mediocre, aging video card, even with antiliasing and the shadow stuff enabled. Stuff like this and Amalur (along with my bowing out of FPSs due to motion sickness issues, and not having to worry about running the latest system hog FPSs anymore) give me hope I can stick with my old HP PC a couple more years.  icon_cool I wouldn't wait for "optimizing." The game is clearly already optimized.  icon_smile

I never much got into ME1 and most of this back story is lost on me; however, I've still had a blast in single player tonight, and I did go ahead and go with the RPG mode (I was doing Action in the demo).

I've enjoyed playing as Adept in co-op, so I stuck with that for the SP.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #384 on: March 07, 2012, 06:30:43 AM »

I'm your Adept Man,
That's what I am,
And I'm here to do,
Whatever I can...

*I think this is when you use "push" on a weakened target and he dissolves in a spray.  icon_twisted

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
namatoki
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: March 07, 2012, 06:40:08 AM »

Quote from: Arclight on March 06, 2012, 07:27:04 PM

Quote from: namatoki on March 06, 2012, 07:06:01 PM

Origin sent me the codes for the two weapons via e-mail with a link to get them...

I checked my emails, and the only ones I got from Origin from my pre-order said that my order was complete, but there were no codes for my pre-order bonus items.  That sucks.  Not sure what to do now. frown
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #386 on: March 07, 2012, 01:53:20 PM »

Ha, there's so many more maps in retail co-op than the demo, can't wait  icon_smile I tried to do a co-op game solo just to test things out (I've not hosted before, so wasn't aware of the various options), didn't do so well....

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: March 07, 2012, 02:03:26 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on March 07, 2012, 01:53:20 PM

Ha, there's so many more maps in retail co-op than the demo, can't wait  icon_smile I tried to do a co-op game solo just to test things out (I've not hosted before, so wasn't aware of the various options), didn't do so well....

Sorry I missed you last night Blackjack, I am usually in bed by 10:30 PM, gamine time is usually 9:00 - 10:30 PM.
Asharak
Gaming Trend Reader

Elitist Ash-hole

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: March 07, 2012, 02:07:26 PM »

Impressions from yesterday's play:

I spent a good part of yesterday still feeling surprisingly overwhelmed by the game. With the expansion of gear options / the return of weapon upgrades, the array of fetch quests that have replaced scanning for minerals, and the large number of side missions, there's a lot to do here. That's a good thing -- but what isn't a good thing is that the UI isn't up to the task in some areas and was a large part of why I felt overwhelmed. Most of those fetch quests aren't marked on the galaxy map, so you have to keep switching back and forth between your journal (which you can't access with a direct keyboard shortcut but have to go through the main game menu?!) and the map to figure out which systems you need to visit. A related complaint is that your squad status screen still doesn't let you level up / spend squad-mate skill points while on the Normandy.

I'm also not terribly impressed with the variety of enemies so far. Aside from the Reapers, for whom Husks never seem to go out of style, I've spent a lot of time fighting (very minor spoiler here that was in press videos anyway, so really isn't much of a spoiler...) Cerberus forces, which seem to be almost exclusively Assault Troopers or Centurions (AKA Assault Troopers with shields). But maybe I'm being unfair there: compared to ME2, there are some noticeable improvements in combat. Some of the Cerberus forces carry riot shields, grenade use is much more common (well, than base ME2; it's probably on par with what we saw in Shadow Broker, etc.), there seem to be shield / barrier "generators" that apply defenses to enemy troops if you don't take them out quickly, and enemies deploy stationary turrets (which do a LOT of damage) occasionally. So maybe the fact that most of the Cerberus troops seem like they could have come out of the Clone Wars isn't that much of an issue...I just remember the variety you encountered in the three mercenary bands on Omega alone (Krogan, Vorcha, Varren, FENRIS mechs, Eclipse biotics, Blue Suns engineers, etc.) and feel underwhelmed by missions that contain nothing but Reaper-forces-with-or-without-armour or Cerberus-with-or-without-shields.

Sticking with Cerberus, the whole story of the organization across all three games still seems like a completely unplanned clusterfuck. In ME1, they are a barely mentioned, evil-but-trivial terrorist organization; in ME2, suddenly they are a massively funded, extremist-but-nobly-intentioned organization trying to save the galaxy while everyone else buries their heads in the sand; and in ME3, they're just as suddenly thrown back to being an antagonist and Public Enemy #2? I really hope ME3 reveals something about their agenda that makes all of this make sense... but I'm not optimistic about it.

That said, I continue to be impressed by the character-based writing. Practically every mission features either a major or minor appearance by someone you've met before, even missions that seem like they would otherwise be pretty minor side-quests (in the cases where you meet old ME2 companions, I'm curious if those missions even occur if the companion is dead). I had another almost-got-someone-killed moment last night -- complete with musical psych-out -- but they pulled through in awesome and hilarious fashion.

Even the scanning-based fetch quests are a positive, since you get most of them by listening to conversations around the Citadel, etc., and they all seem to tie into the war effort in at least a minor way (e.g., finding the lost holy book for a race the Reapers have nearly crushed, which improves their morale) and confer a tangible and tracked benefit to your Galactic Readiness. Even some of the "exploration bonuses" (my term for the extra stuff you can get by poking your nose into every corner of a mission map) can have an effect, such as finding intel that helps a local resistance movement and thus preserves more of them for the fight ahead.

Bottom line after two days: still having fun, still wish I was at home playing rather at work posting working, and still terrified that the game is going to start killing off my favourite characters any mission now...

- Ash
Asharak
Gaming Trend Reader

Elitist Ash-hole

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: March 07, 2012, 02:17:43 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on March 06, 2012, 02:37:27 PM

Any more impressions on whether the DLC is worth $10? Does it provide an actual mission that is interesting or is it just a new character with a brief 30 minute intro mission? (cough Kasumi).

Getting back to you on this, now that I've played From Ashes: of the two choices you gave, I'd go with "a new character with a brief 30 minute intro mission". The mission itself is entirely straightforward. You can get some Galactic Readiness out of it but, mechanically, it's interchangeable with any other 30 minute stretch in the game.

The new companion seems interesting and...motivated, although I haven't used him yet since my Adept doesn't have much need for another biotic squadmate. He does come with a gun (that you can also use) that's a nice throwback to ME1: an assault rifle that doesn't use thermal clips but requires a cooldown period if you overheat it.

Quote from: Blackjack
I'm your Adept Man,
That's what I am,
And I'm here to do,
Whatever I can...

My Adept continues to be entirely awesome as well. Even carrying a heavier pistol, I still have sub-three-second cooldowns on Lift, Throw and Warp (the attack animations take nearly that long to run anyway), so I'm hurling people about constantly. Unless something goes wrong (i.e., we pick bad cover locations), I get through most fights without ever firing my gun.

- Ash
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #390 on: March 07, 2012, 02:29:56 PM »

Quote from: Asharak on March 07, 2012, 02:17:43 PM

My Adept continues to be entirely awesome as well. Even carrying a heavier pistol, I still have sub-three-second cooldowns on Lift, Throw and Warp (the attack animations take nearly that long to run anyway), so I'm hurling people about constantly. Unless something goes wrong (i.e., we pick bad cover locations), I get through most fights without ever firing my gun

Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good sniper rifle at your side, kid. I'm still early in the game, but every unshielded enemy I've met has died from one headshot with my rifle, as an Infiltrator.
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: March 07, 2012, 02:44:40 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on March 07, 2012, 02:29:56 PM

Quote from: Asharak on March 07, 2012, 02:17:43 PM

My Adept continues to be entirely awesome as well. Even carrying a heavier pistol, I still have sub-three-second cooldowns on Lift, Throw and Warp (the attack animations take nearly that long to run anyway), so I'm hurling people about constantly. Unless something goes wrong (i.e., we pick bad cover locations), I get through most fights without ever firing my gun

Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good sniper rifle at your side, kid. I'm still early in the game, but every unshielded enemy I've met has died from one headshot with my rifle, as an Infiltrator.

Hehe...then you're not too far into the game, because soon you won't be able to see the heads of some of your foes!  smile

(I'm a headshot artist too)

Asharak
Gaming Trend Reader

Elitist Ash-hole

View Profile
« Reply #392 on: March 07, 2012, 02:50:57 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on March 07, 2012, 02:29:56 PM

Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good sniper rifle at your side, kid.

There's nothing hokey or ancient about my biotics, bitch. slywink

Which reminds me, I meant to mention: they seem to have toned up the biotic combos (or maybe I just don't remember/never used them much in ME2), similar to how they made skill combos very powerful in Dragon Age 2. Lift/Throw and Singularity/Warp insta-kill anything. If it has shields, I just have to toss an Overload from a squadmate in front of the combo. It's also possible that my perspective is skewed about this because I started at Level 30, with those skills maxed or near-maxed from the very beginning. I've never done the replay-with-the-same-character thing in either of the previous games, so this is my first time playing up the "second half" of the level list.

- Ash
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #393 on: March 07, 2012, 02:59:16 PM »

Speaking of skills and starting at level 30... I may be mistaken, but I think the skill points spent automatically at the start of the game were the exact same ones I had spent in ME2. The game didn't make any choices for me. On the other hand, late in ME2 I bought skills I never used simply because I had surplus points. With the two additional levels every skill has in this game I would have made different choices. It's a good thing we can respec.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #394 on: March 07, 2012, 11:10:09 PM »

Quote from: Asharak on March 07, 2012, 02:07:26 PM

I

Sticking with Cerberus, the whole story of the organization across all three games still seems like a completely unplanned clusterfuck. In ME1, they are a barely mentioned, evil-but-trivial terrorist organization; in ME2, suddenly they are a massively funded, extremist-but-nobly-intentioned organization trying to save the galaxy while everyone else buries their heads in the sand; and in ME3, they're just as suddenly thrown back to being an antagonist and Public Enemy #2? I really hope ME3 reveals something about their agenda that makes all of this make sense... but I'm not optimistic about it.

My take after ME2 is that Cerberus adapts its different cells depending on its needs.  The Illusive Man isn't going to give up anything that could be an advantage so he designs some cells to be a little more legitimate and palatable for people who have more of a moral base (pretty much the entire crew of the Normandy 2).  Having that crew headed up by someone like Shepherd is great PR for them and may make people doubt the harsher rumors about their other activities.   Other cells handle the dirty work with at least a tiny bit of plausible deniability.  I mean no one really believed TIS in ME2 when he said the Cerberus facility that experimented on Jack was "rogue" did they? 
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #395 on: March 08, 2012, 03:55:14 AM »

We did some 4-player co-op tonight and it was just plain old gleeful fun.  icon_smile Definitely seems to ramp up for 4 players even at the lowest challenge level (bronze).

About the only time I could capture all of us during a gameplay movie.

Hanton goes for the melee kill. Not sure what race enemies these were, but they were tough.

Arkon devastates a mech. And we thought we were "awesome" (i.e., we didn't realize someone was Cobra missle-ing mechs)  icon_smile

Blackjack Charges without thinking.  icon_razz I switched to Vanguard so we'd have 4 diff classes on the team and was digging it; however, charging was often getting me into trouble. Haven't quite gotten the hang of using it more selectively.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 01:09:26 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #396 on: March 08, 2012, 06:25:22 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on March 07, 2012, 02:59:16 PM

Speaking of skills and starting at level 30... I may be mistaken, but I think the skill points spent automatically at the start of the game were the exact same ones I had spent in ME2. The game didn't make any choices for me. On the other hand, late in ME2 I bought skills I never used simply because I had surplus points. With the two additional levels every skill has in this game I would have made different choices. It's a good thing we can respec.

That's correct.  It imports all of those decisions for you.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #397 on: March 08, 2012, 01:26:17 PM »

Our group from last night also agrees: Keep away from Banshees.  paranoid Reminds me a bit of those screaming witches in L4D2. The below all happened so fast I hardly had time to comprehend what was happening.

Butt shot!  icon_lol I don't know what the banshee's doing to me here, but no pleasure was involved.  icon_razz

Great sound in this. You can tell in 2 seconds if there's a mech or banshee somewhere on the map, just by the sound.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #398 on: March 08, 2012, 02:32:31 PM »

yeah I hate those banshees. In case you couldn't tell from all my stabbing kills, I like to fight up close, and you can't get near the banshees. Still have yet to actually beat a map. Wave 10 is as far as I've gotten.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: March 08, 2012, 03:22:23 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on March 08, 2012, 02:32:31 PM

yeah I hate those banshees. In case you couldn't tell from all my stabbing kills, I like to fight up close, and you can't get near the banshees. Still have yet to actually beat a map. Wave 10 is as far as I've gotten.
I couldn't much dent the banshee with Adept powers or plain old shooting either.  icon_smile

[sort of repeating my co-op thread post on this, w/ a bit more detail]
I was on a pick-up group that completed a map late last night. It's an extraction point thing, a wee bit like L4D2 map endings. In this case though, it seems like these forcefield barriers go up around the extraction point (I guess to keep it clear for the transport) and you have to sort of defend against a final incoming wave until the transport docks (the forcefields drop shortly before it arrives). Then everyone hops on and poof, you're done.  icon_smile At least, that's how it was handled in this expansive interior lab map. Not sure if maybe other maps handle the extraction finale a bit differently.

Not that the game should steal from L4D, but I kinda wish like there and some other games, you could maybe at least fire your secondary weapon a bit while your life is draining away. I feel so helpless when I've fallen, like a "I can't get up" commercial.  icon_razz

I'm too much of a care bear, so when I see a teammate fallen I tend to just run head-first into a pile of monsters to try to raise them, usually just making the situation worse. I think I was a WWII combat medic in a previous life.  drillsergeant
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 03:28:32 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: