http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 06:54:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mass Effect 3 - Impressions Incoming! Leviathan DLC released!  (Read 34531 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: January 27, 2012, 08:46:30 PM »

special forces MP trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=nyy5fAFw6UM

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: January 27, 2012, 11:17:05 PM »

M:tG style random booster packs for dlc?  blech
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: February 04, 2012, 11:42:38 PM »

BiowarEA is saying you might want to hold onto your saves.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: February 07, 2012, 10:10:53 PM »

and the iOS tie-ins start trickling out:  Mass Effect Infiltrator and Mass Effect Datapad for the iPad.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: February 13, 2012, 03:32:24 AM »

in case you cannot wait, here's the first 20 minutes of the demo: http://www.eurogamer.net/videos/mass-effect-3-demo-the-first-20-minutes

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: February 13, 2012, 07:12:41 PM »

GOLD!  https://twitter.com/#!/CaseyDHudson/statuses/168934352154136576

Because I can,
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: February 13, 2012, 07:34:14 PM »

So I've read all of the other ME novels - they're not great but have improved over time. I forgot that the 4th was coming out at the start of February, but now I've read that they are going to have to reprint the book due to all sorts of canon/lore issues people pointed out. Guess I'll wait.

I was going to replay ME1 and 2 so I would have a character that didn't romance during the second game - I read there would be a reward of sorts for doing so. I was going to go with male Shepard w/ Ashley. However, I've been too into other things and now I'm figuring it would just burn me out. In addition, then I wouldn't be playing my badass Femshep who is a sniper. So now I think I will just make sure to go back and play Lair of the Shadow Broker and that bridge DLC (neither of which I have played yet) and buy the game when it comes out.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: February 13, 2012, 10:04:27 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on February 13, 2012, 07:34:14 PM

So I've read all of the other ME novels - they're not great but have improved over time. I forgot that the 4th was coming out at the start of February, but now I've read that they are going to have to reprint the book due to all sorts of canon/lore issues people pointed out. Guess I'll wait.

The strange thing is that *all* the Mass Effect novels have read like poorly researched fan fiction.  Why are people suddenly up in arms over the fourth one?  I've read their list of complaints and I don't see anything nearly as bad as the first book's declaration that human biotics don't exist. 

Or that humanity went from discovering the existence of mass effect technology to having a prestigious seat on an interstellar council of aliens in a mere forty years.  Think about that.  David Anderson was twenty years old before humans even knew intelligent extraterrestrial life existed.  He's about fifty at the end of the first game.  From an asari point of view, that's like us electing cats to congress because, a couple months ago, they suddenly learned to talk.

-Autistic Angel
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #248 on: February 13, 2012, 10:37:36 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on February 13, 2012, 10:04:27 PM

The strange thing is that *all* the Mass Effect novels have read like poorly researched fan fiction.  Why are people suddenly up in arms over the fourth one?  I've read their list of complaints and I don't see anything nearly as bad as the first book's declaration that human biotics don't exist. 

Or that humanity went from discovering the existence of mass effect technology to having a prestigious seat on an interstellar council of aliens in a mere forty years.  Think about that.  David Anderson was twenty years old before humans even knew intelligent extraterrestrial life existed.  He's about fifty at the end of the first game.  From an asari point of view, that's like us electing cats to congress because, a couple months ago, they suddenly learned to talk.

-Autistic Angel

The first books were written by the lead writer for the games. That's why it's not fan fiction. This new book is not written by that guy.

Also, I felt that particular plot point you're talking about was explained well enough. Humanity was more or less handed a gift package that allowed them to skip generations of technological research and jump straight into intergalactic politics, where the traits of the human race allowed them to make a mark for themselves. It wasn't humanity that propelled itself to that stage. It was all arranged, though I can't remember by who (if it was ever even revealed).
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: February 14, 2012, 01:36:32 PM »

Pre-order in!

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: February 14, 2012, 01:46:04 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on February 13, 2012, 10:37:36 PM

Quote from: Autistic Angel on February 13, 2012, 10:04:27 PM

-Autistic Angel

The first books were written by the lead writer for the games. That's why it's not fan fiction. This new book is not written by that guy.

Also, I felt that particular plot point you're talking about was explained well enough. Humanity was more or less handed a gift package that allowed them to skip generations of technological research and jump straight into intergalactic politics, where the traits of the human race allowed them to make a mark for themselves. It wasn't humanity that propelled itself to that stage. It was all arranged, though I can't remember by who (if it was ever even revealed).

Besides all the inconsistensies, from what I'm reading it's just plain not a very good book, so it might not be worth reading anyway. It also apparently doesn't tie into the upcoming game at all (not that the second or third did either, outside of giving some background to the Illusive Man).

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
namatoki
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: February 14, 2012, 06:47:30 PM »

The ME3 demo is available on Origin right now.  Downloading as I am typing this!  nod
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: February 14, 2012, 06:48:42 PM »

Quote from: namatoki on February 14, 2012, 06:47:30 PM

The ME3 demo is available on Origin right now.  Downloading as I am typing this!  nod

same here.  not sure if I want to spoil it though-  I may just wait until closer to the release date and just play to get the Amalur stuff.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: February 14, 2012, 08:58:07 PM »

well broke down and played the first bit, not sure I'm going to continue since the first part is the opening of the game but the part after that jumps further into the game (plus it features someone who could not possibly be there in my Shep-verse). 

random thoughts:

graphics looks nice, and movement feels aerodynamicized. 

it looks like they finally figured out how to climb ladders and jump in the ME world.

something seems off with the default FemShep look.

at character generation it gives you a choice to pick a death-  Ashley, Kaidan or 'Numerous'.

character face customization seems to be more thorough, although I didn't bother with it for ME2 since I imported so it may just be me remembering ME1's options.

not sure when the Amalur stuff unlocks, I'm guessing it's at the end as I haven't had any pop-ups about it.

[edit]  OK, fired up Amalur and got notice I had a special delivery, which were the Omniblades.  they suck compared to what I already have but look pretty- they're a set of daggers with 21 damage.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 09:02:10 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: February 14, 2012, 10:14:56 PM »

fired up the MP missions to see how well they solo.  haven't found any real defensive positions in the two levels so they're pretty tough once you start getting surrounded.

Because I can,
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #255 on: February 15, 2012, 12:18:03 AM »

My impressionsÖ

Environments and character models look great but animations are weird.  Itís possible Iím not remembering ME2 properly but lip synching seems worse. Also, Femshep runs funny, kinda like she just got off a horse.
Story elements seem very strong and well done again.
Nice branching level up system.
Was nice to see Wrex in action again.

Origin breaks my internet and prevents any other devices from working while itís runningÖ
namatoki
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: February 15, 2012, 01:08:29 AM »

Hardcore combat difficulty was pretty tough.  Then again, I probably gimped myself playing as Vanguard and not pumping up shield strength.

Combat is really fast-paced and fun (when you aren't dying).  I want to try again as engineer and adept.  The engineer sentry turret looks like a lot of fun.

I agree that the running animations were a little weird.  I thought Anderson's running animation looked worse than fem Shep's.

The opening level was really epic with all the Reapers destroying everything!
Spoiler for Hiden:
It was really sad to see the little boy get into the shuttle and then watch it explode when the Reaper shot it. frown
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #257 on: February 15, 2012, 03:30:21 AM »

Only played through the first bit and was disappointed.  I hope this demo was from an early build.  I just finished replaying ME2 and it seems they took some steps back.

The lip syncing doesn't look good at all.  Anderson's face looks very strange and the animation while he was running down an incline was terrible, his feet were floating above the ground.
Some of the textures were poor and when they showed the city it looked bare and not hi-def at all.  The sound of the guns especially the assault rifle sounded like it came out of a 70's movie.
They ask upfront what type of game you want.  Action - dialog is cutscenes, RPG - just like the other games, or Story which has easy combat.  Seems like they are trying to please too many types of gamers. 

They did shore up the combat and it does feel fluid and moving in and out of cover seemed easier.  They added jumping and rolling animations so there may be some platforming elements and you do run a lot faster. 

I am still excited for the game and will purchase on Day 1, but I don't think it was a good demo.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: February 15, 2012, 03:44:46 AM »

dammit, just replayed and realized they did one of the unforgivable sins:  unskippable cutscenes.  they also play fast and loose with your ammo count in the beginning-  when I found the radio I had 105 pistol shots, and after that I had 50.  thankfully I was trying out an Adept so I kept on fighting off the attackers with biotics until the game finally decided to send in the Normandy.

Because I can,
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: February 15, 2012, 11:39:20 AM »

I quit the demo during the second mission as I didn't want to be spoiled any further, but do you get an achievement or unlocks for completing the demo?

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: February 15, 2012, 12:05:28 PM »

Pretty sure MSFT wouldn't allow achievements for demos...
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: February 15, 2012, 01:20:50 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on February 15, 2012, 11:39:20 AM

I quit the demo during the second mission as I didn't want to be spoiled any further, but do you get an achievement or unlocks for completing the demo?

I know you get Omniblade daggers for use in Kingdoms of Amalur : Reckoning, but I can't find any information on what else, if anything, you can get.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #262 on: February 16, 2012, 08:49:42 AM »

The reason why they alter your ammo count in that segment is that you're supposed to run out of ammo for everything before the next scene triggers.

Also, the animations are clunky for the unarmored segments is that there's only so much memory for animations, and everyone uses the same animations, so they usually make the animations for armored people. That's why the arms and legs seem to jut out farther than necessary. This is extremely common in any game where they're having more than 1 person on screen. Did you know the Krogans use the same skeleton and animations? slywink

Playing the demo on PC, i was struck by how much more smoother the game is now, not just technical improvements like framerate and such, but stuff like mouse input feeling right, to movement inertia and more.

I definitely like how quick it is to use powers and reload now, it should make powers only builds. much more doable. Targeting with powers is also easier too. Haven't experimented with arcing powers onto stuff in cover though.

Also, shielded and armored enemies are now still affected by powers in various ways, usually a debuff when the power can't outright take effect.

Edit: I did some testing, and arcing powers around or over cover is definitely much easier now. Unlike in ME2, I've been able to hit enemies fully ducking behind cover in situations where normally they couldn't be hit. For example an enemy against a chest high wall that's in front of me and slightly higher. In ME2 even with the highest possible arc I could put on a power, it would still hit the cover he was behind if he wasn't standing up to shoot. Now, the AI on the powers seems to go in a slow arc until it gets close enough to arc over or around he target's cover.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 08:56:30 AM by Turtle » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: February 16, 2012, 09:09:08 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on February 16, 2012, 08:49:42 AM

Also, the animations are clunky for the unarmored segments is that there's only so much memory for animations, and everyone uses the same animations, so they usually make the animations for armored people. That's why the arms and legs seem to jut out farther than necessary. This is extremely common in any game where they're having more than 1 person on screen. Did you know the Krogans use the same skeleton and animations? slywink

meant to comment on this-  replaying through ME2 right now and the animations seem to be the same. as they are in ME3, so it's not like they got worse.  it's kind of funny watching FemShep run around the Normandy in the dress you get from the Kasumi DLC  icon_lol

I agree with the powers being easier to target; I may actually use more of them this time around.

I dug up a save game generator/modifier off of the social site, so if I decide I want to play beyond my paragon and renegade characters I have I won't have to replay ME1, and I'm figuring the same people will come up with one for the ME2 stuff that transfers over too.

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #264 on: February 16, 2012, 09:35:05 AM »

For saves, go to:
masseffectsaves.com
masseffect2saves.com

It has most situations covered, and you can use a save editor to edit the name your one of your choosing if needed. That's what I did when I lost my ME2 save. They also link to a proper community made save editor that, so less shady than random programs you might find online.

Just got done trying a sentinel on hardcore in the demo. Wow, pretty intense. The new version of Tech Armor is pretty interesting. If you have it on, it gives you a pretty good damage reduction and some other bonuses you can stack on it, but makes your power cooldowns 80% longer. However, it no longer goes away and detonates when you lose your shields, instead it stays active until you choose to detonate your armor, causing a big blast wave around you. So as a sentinel, you can get in closer, fight in melee, and use close range weapons like the shotgun or less accurate SMGs. Then if you get too surrounded, blow the tech armor to knock over enemies and kill them while they're down or run away for cover.

Shotguns are much, much more useful now, even on hardcore. The spread is much narrower, where in ME2 you couldn't put a full cluster of pellets on a target over 5 meters away, in ME3, that same shotgun will drop all pellets on a guy at 10 meters away and do it with twice the damage. It was my go to weapon when playing a sentinel in the demo on hardcore. Two shots square to the chest would drop a guy, meanwhile all the other weapons tended to take quite a few hits.

What they don't show in the demo is that you can customize your weapons to suit your play style, and they also haven't revealed the way weapons level up overall. And if you really want to specialize in a weapon, the less weight in weapons that you carry, the faster your abilities recharge. So a sentinel running around with just a shotgun and maxed out on tech armor and fitness is going to be a beast of a close in build. Like a walking juggernaut as opposed to the vanguard class's more speed and finesse style of close combat.

Combat overall is way more interesting now, especially on hardcore. More types of enemies that do new things. They can be more aggressive, or attack in new ways. I can see why they put in the 3 different modes of play now because some of the additions to make the game a better and more interesting shooter could alienate the role playing crowd that wants to experience the story.

Oh and I really like how they handle Medigel now, it's hybrid of ME1 and ME2. Basically, you have 5 health boxes, if you lose enough health to empty a box, it stays empty. If a box is only partially gone, you will regenerate that box of health. You can use medigel to refill all your boxes. However, medigel is also used to revive any downed teammates. But, you can also revive a downed teammate like in other games by moving to them and holding the action button. There's still shields, which recharge much more quickly. So you have this new dynamic with medigel where you can risk going without healing yourself, waiting for a teammate to drop before using it, or if you lose teammates to early in a fight, you can revive them, but lose out on heals later.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 12:06:08 PM by Turtle » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: February 16, 2012, 09:40:11 PM »

want a copy early?

Because I can,
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: February 16, 2012, 11:40:19 PM »

No gamepad support  icon_confused

Guess I won't be playing the game until that is inevitably patched in.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
greeneggsnham
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: February 17, 2012, 01:26:12 AM »

Anyone playing multi? By myself, it's pretty much unplayable.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: February 17, 2012, 01:48:51 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on February 16, 2012, 11:40:19 PM

No gamepad support  icon_confused

Guess I won't be playing the game until that is inevitably patched in.

they may or may not work right out of the box: http://social.bioware.com/forums/forum/1/topic/323/index/9118270/1#9124650

Because I can,
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: February 17, 2012, 10:07:52 AM »

wow, so the MP is actually pretty fun. I hope they patch in scaling though. was playing with 2 others and the waves are clearly designed for a full group.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: February 18, 2012, 01:50:51 AM »

DRM details:

Mass Effect 3's campaign will require a one time, single authorisation, with no limit to the number of installs.

oh, and Origin too.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: February 18, 2012, 05:07:19 AM »

Quote from: jersoc on February 17, 2012, 10:07:52 AM

wow, so the MP is actually pretty fun. I hope they patch in scaling though. was playing with 2 others and the waves are clearly designed for a full group.

yeah, they need scaling.  I fired up a couple of matches where there were only 3 of us in game and by the final wave we were clearly getting hammered because we were down a guy. 

I can see MP getting old quickly, as the enemies always seemed to come in from the same approaches in each wave.  it actually got to the point where I was 'OK, they're going to come from there, so I'll kill them, and right about....now... yep, they're coming from that way now'.  do missions at least change things up as to what occurs during a wave, or is the set-up for the waves static, like wave x is always kill 4 high priority targets in Firebase?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 05:09:40 AM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
namatoki
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: February 18, 2012, 07:41:38 AM »

I'm pretty sure it is random, because I've seen the final wave being kill the 4 high value targets or download data in my last two playthroughs.

Don't forget that this is only the demo and there is a lot more stuff in the final release of the game's multiplayer.  I'm sure they can add more levels as DLC too.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: February 18, 2012, 08:48:17 AM »

I kinda like this poster:

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #274 on: February 18, 2012, 12:14:50 PM »

By the way, the whole random crate of goodies thing some were worried about isn't a problem. You earn the credit to buy them through play, although EA will most likely allow you to buy credits for real money, you get enough through play that you really won't need to.

And multiplayer is really fun. It's just co-op, and plays pretty close to the single player experience. It might get repetitive, but we'll see how much stuff is added in the full game.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 12:49:42 PM by Turtle » Logged
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: February 18, 2012, 05:49:14 PM »

The first ME never quite grabbed me for some reason. Just got done playing some ME3 demo in the "Action-focused" mode and I feel grabbed, even if I'm not a real big fan of the GoW-style "cram your third person view right behind your skull" viewpoint. Given my FPS motion sickness infamy, I can deal with it. Fun, and more importantly for me, totally motion sickness-free. icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: February 18, 2012, 10:43:20 PM »

That poster pic reminds me of Tom Cruise running from the aliens in War of the Worlds...Careful creepy little space dudes, Tom will jump all over your furniture.. icon_wink

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: February 19, 2012, 02:13:43 PM »

My European bud Topper and I played quite a few co-op games just now. Once we got the hang of things (esp. just remembering to tap numbers keys for the special attacks), was a helluva lot of fun, even with just 2 players.

I just like that it's not strictly a 'survival' game of sit in place and wait for stuff. It's just go after targets or hack devices etc. but I like that it periodically motivates you to move around the map.

In the demo, does text chat not work? It is listed in key bindings as 't' key but it did nothing as far as we could see. Voice chat worked fine, and the Origin text chat works fine in-game.

While the keyboard controls are fine, I do find myself struggling to get square with close-quarters targets, and I do often go in to cover when I don't want to. Sometimes just getting through a room that's full of cover is a struggle cause it feels like I'm going into cover against my will as I try to get through the room. I figure I'll just get better at that with time.

If anyone wants to look me up for a game later (assuming anyone would want to team with a clod like me icon_razz), i'm "corporalgeo" on Origin (you might have to drag me out of Kingdoms of Amalur later), albeit most of my characters are Blackjackian in some way.

After an hour or so I did just get a wee bit woozy. Not so much FPS style motion sickness, I think the cramped quarters of one map was pushing my claustrophobia buttons.  icon_smile
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 02:25:36 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Barrakketh
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: February 19, 2012, 02:34:11 PM »

I almost never play multiplayer in shooter-type games, but I was intrigued, so I gave this one a whirl. It's an absolute blast. Got a little lucky with my booster packs and scored a Quarian Engineer and a Salarian Infiltrator to go with the various humans. No Krogan, Asari  or Turian yet though.

I must have played 20 matches yesterday and aside from one disconnect during a match (on wave 10, Noooo!), and one that bugged early when I used Throw on a guy off a ledge that the game seemed to lose track of, resulting in a wave never completing so we had to bail,  it's been very stable. I'm of mixed feelings about the booster pack method of getting upgrades and unlocks, since, to read some of the posts in the forums and on FB, people played all day and never unlocked another race, while just getting more medigel and mods for weapons they never use. I've had better results, but their RNG may need some work.

Looking forward to more maps in the retail version, and more enemies than just Cerberus.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: February 20, 2012, 04:42:10 AM »

Take Back the Earth: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Vs7kix6_8Ks

extended cut is coming Tuesday.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 04:44:00 AM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: