http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 03:07:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mass Effect 3 - Spoilers/Ending (Now with Spoiler Tags)  (Read 4468 times)
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2012, 09:20:23 PM »

Okay, so despite me poo pooing the ending so much. Every damn thing right up to it is awesome.

What I consider the final moment in the ME series for me is Anderson and Shepard just sitting there, mission accomplished, and Anderson saying he's proud of what me before dying.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2012, 12:02:19 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on March 14, 2012, 08:33:52 PM

Either way, a terrible move on their part. Something is coming, but I'm not paying for it, I'll just youtube it if they make me pay for a proper ending to the game. But, there's rumors it will be free, and honestly the fanbase will revolt worse than they are now if they make us pay for it.

Likewise. I refuse to buy any DLC after the shit that was the ending for ME3 (and the series as a whole), so it sure as hell better be free.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2012, 02:11:09 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on March 14, 2012, 09:20:23 PM

Okay, so despite me poo pooing the ending so much. Every damn thing right up to it is awesome.

What I consider the final moment in the ME series for me is Anderson and Shepard just sitting there, mission accomplished, and Anderson saying he's proud of what me before dying.

THIS!!

everything after that,is shit

I mean i hate multiple choices at the end of a game anyway,but when all choices are garbage it makes things even worse

I chose to Destroy the Reapers(and Geths,Mass Relays),and it blew up in my face,some people are saying you see Shepherd breathing underneath rubble at the end,but i must of missed that if true,doesn't matter anyway,he is stranded there

Joker,Liara(who was in my team) and Javik exited the Normandy at the end....yay,my 800 microsoft points were not wasted on the 30 minute mission and i get to see Javik again Roll Eyes

apparently there is a secret ending,get this....if you Import a save over from mass Effect 2 and you purchased the Prejeck Paddle Fish and it survives all through Mass Effect 3 and Mass Effect 3 New Game + you get a "very special Intel Bonus" in Liara's quarters on the Normandy

so,not sure if you get to go on the Normandy again,after somehow or it appears when you replay the game yet again

anyway,the ending sucked all 4 Krogen Balls,i suppose i will try Multiplayer,only played one match so far and its not really my thing,but gonna try and get more than 53% Galactic readiness
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 02:13:21 AM by metallicorphan » Logged

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2012, 02:43:16 AM »

I thought this was a fucking masterstroke:

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2012, 03:02:14 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on March 15, 2012, 02:11:09 AM

I chose to Destroy the Reapers(and Geths,Mass Relays),and it blew up in my face,some people are saying you see Shepherd breathing underneath rubble at the end,but i must of missed that if true,doesn't matter anyway,he is stranded there

That requires you to get at least 4000 Effectiveness Level, which requires you to play multiplayer quite a bit (despite what the devs said).

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2012, 07:00:02 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on March 15, 2012, 03:02:14 AM

Quote from: metallicorphan on March 15, 2012, 02:11:09 AM

That requires you to get at least 4000 Effectiveness Level, which requires you to play multiplayer quite a bit (despite what the devs said).

hmm,that's a bit annoying because i did all the side missions(even the 40 Citadel Hub missions),and ended up with 3773 effectiveness,that was with 53% readiness(i played 1 game online)

However,i have just been playing Multiplayer for the last few hours,and i am now 90% readiness....i may as well continue on until 100% later on today,because it isn't that difficult to get 100%,and then reload my main game save,and get those extra few seconds  finger

Posted on Kotaku
PwndYooSucka
Thu 15 Mar 2012 1:58 AM

-KID- Tell me another story about the shepard

-MAN- Did you download the DLC?

-KID- No...

-MAN- Then go to bed.

icon_lol icon_lol
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 07:13:15 AM by metallicorphan » Logged

SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2012, 07:50:52 PM »

So there is an ipad app that was released called Final Hours, some awesome stuff in there:

Mac Walters on the Star Child/Reapers
"Originally, with the catalyst, the star child at the end of the game, I had written that much more in the guise of a investigative style conversation, where there is something he tells you but then, you get to ask a bunch of questions and you get your questions answered. But then me and Casey talked and decided, lets keep the conversation "High level". Give you the details that you need to know, but don't get into the stuff that you don't need to know. Like "How long have they been reaping?" You don't need to know the answers to the mass effect universe. So we intentionally left those out"

Casey on after Mass Effect 3
"Whatever we do would likely happen before or during the events of Mass Effect 3, not after"

On delaying the game 
In march 2011, he also faced a roomful of Mass Effect developers who expressed concern about hitting the promised holiday release date... New release date set for March 2012. After much deliberation, the CAT mission (or rather, the Prothean mission) had to be removed from the set of tasks. The missions would later be completed as post-release content"

Casey on the End Boss
We had the final fight with the Illusive man in the game, but it just felt very Video Gamey. It didnt fit in with the themes. And really, is there a point of the end boss if only for the sake of an end boss?

On Tali's Face
We eventually decided that she gives you a memento of her pictures, but the team was throwing around a lot of pictures and designs until we decided on something and said "Yup, that's her".

On Deciding the End of the Game
The illusive man boss fight had been scrapped... but there was still much debate. On night walters scribbled down some thought on various ways the game could end with the line "Lots of speculation for Everyone!" at the bottom of the page.

And even in November the gameplay team was still experimenting with an endgame sequence where players would suddenly lose control of Shepard's movement and fall under full reaper control. (This sequence was dropped because the gaemplay mechanic proved too troublesome to implement alongside dialogue choices).

And now:

LOTS OF SPECULATION FROM EVERYONE!

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2012, 08:02:46 PM »

Rumour that the DLC that was shown last week,will also feature more single player content entitled The Truth and you will be able to carry on after the end,no matter what decision you made,the end was cut because of a script leak so they did the 'real' ending as DLC...and contain the 'last collector ship'

It would be a nice rumour,except they say that it will be free....and that's not like EA

the rumour was meant to of come from the same source on who leaked the Shadow Broker DLC

http://www.gamefront.com/rumor-mass-effect-3-dlc-the-truth-due-in-april

This is a decent read as well

http://www.thevine.com.au/life/tech/mass-effect-3-and-the-ending-debacle20120314.aspx

The Bioware forums are on fire with thousands of pages worth of dense theorycrafting regarding the ambiguous nature of the ending, namely the idea that everything from the pass-out is Shepard battling indoctrination and being tested; three endings are provided, one letting you to control the Reapers, one letting you force a new stage of evolution upon organics and non-organics, and one, highlighted as being evil by the star baby thing, letting you destroy all reapers and, apparently, all non-organics. All three apparently destroy or disable the Mass Relays, and all three leave the Normandy stranded on a lush planet with your crew intact. There are many, many musical cues, visual cues and narrative hints that help back this idea up. This theory is further bolstered by the fact that if you have a high enough preparation rating and choose the 'bad' destruction option, you see Shepard wake up in rubble, hinting that he succeeded in dishing out a huge fuck you to the Reapers indoctrination attempt, and then woke up in the rubble where he fell in the streets of London.

cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2012, 08:03:53 PM »

Looks to me like BioWare didn't even really know wtf they were doing.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2012, 08:16:50 PM »

Quote from: cheeba on March 15, 2012, 08:03:53 PM

Looks to me like BioWare didn't even really know wtf they were doing.

Yeah, I'm going to agree with this.

What the hell ever happened with, you know, putting your ENTIRE STORY out at launch!? Or is this all Bioware desperately trying to change around a really, really shitty ending after major complaints?

And what about the people who don't happen to have any kind of high-speed internet to hook their 360/PS3 up to? They do still exist you know. Are they forever doomed to be screwed with having this incomplete shit of a game?

SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2012, 09:56:00 PM »

And with the release of the app Bioware locked there forums. It is getting to hilarious levels.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2012, 11:13:12 PM »

Hey, I found a way to get new endings in ME3!

biggrin

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2012, 12:16:54 AM »

LOL,Destructor  icon_lol

Of course the most hard done by gamer in the world also has his say

That's Right,it's another Hitler Video!!!

and talking about Tali...

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2012, 01:54:30 AM »

A few more random things I've found on the 'net to show just how silly ME3 is (especially the ending):

The 'end boss' of ME3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=467pmIX-oZo

Posts about the flaws of ME3's final bit:

ME3, up until the ending, was a culmination of all your decisions. Everything came to fruition. Then, right at the end, the game devolves into an absurdly binary selection of three colour themed endings, all of which are near identical and weighted minimally by your decisions made throughout the series. These decisions are weighted by background lore that doesn't make a whole lot of sense, and is forced upon the player through a surprise god-like AI entity that shows up at the last minute. The ending sequence then follows through with absurd, unexplainable scenarios, and leaves the player with no real closure to trilogy. You're left with more questions than you started with, and few answers to the ones you already had.

People wouldn't mind Shepard dying (though some wish there was an option to have him/her live). People, I think, would also deal quite alright with the relays exploding if it were integrated well into the climax. It's everything surrounding these two plot points that is absurd and reasonless, coupled with a whole bunch of new, unexplainable shit that pisses people off.

When you think about it, the ending of ME3 gets WORSE the better off you do getting the galaxy together:

"Yes, your decisions and building your fleet do matter...they make the ending WORSE.

I was originally upset -- like so many -- about my decisions not affecting the outcome of the game. But after thinking about it, I realized that the higher your EMS score is, the worse state the the galaxy is left in.

If I hadn't gone to Dekuuna and got the Code of the Ancients, then all of the elcor would still be in their home system. If I hadn't gone to the systems surrounding Thessia and picked up those science vessels and additional medical personel, they could be back home helping their people. If I never recruited the volus or the hanar, their fleets would still be home. None of these people would be starving to death on Earth.

The best -- THE BEST POSSIBLE ENDING TO THIS GAME -- can be achieved by doing zero side missions, ensuring an absolute minimum number of resourses are available, and keeping your EMS score is low as possible. You then get your Galactic Readiness to 100% by playing multiplayer. This gives you just enough to ensure that the color of the explosion you pick does not destroy Earth. (This is assuming that blowing up a relay doesn't kill everyone in the system...although even in that case this still applies because many of the people you can recruit are from systems without mass relays.)

You've made no effort to get anybody to work together, but that's fine since they won't have access to each other anyway, and a MAXIMUM number of people survived.

So there you have it. Bioware made a game where the more work you do, the fewer people survive. That's certainly a new concept. Horrible concept, but a new one."

And apparently reviewers got a little piece of paper in their review copy. Not uncommon at all, but it said this:

If you listen to Jeff Gertsman's critique of the game in this week's Giantbombcast, he makes it seem clear that there are a lot of just bad design choices in the game, the Prothean DLC for example, that make it very obvious that profit and pantering to a wider audience was a big deal to Bioware/EA. He said that the documentation that came with all the review copies, specifically asked reviewers to frame their reviews from the perspective of a player new to the entire series. They even mentioned that the save import feature was just a "bonus", but not something that was important to the game.

Bioware/EA's priorities in this game was to sell it to a very wide audience. Why's why James was introduced, that's why a lot of the story elements weren't as deep as they should've been. The 18 month development time didn't help either. It also explains why multiplayer was added. No one of serie's fans would've mind at all if multiplayer wasn't included, but when you're trying to sell to a wider audience, you have to include that feature to get more of them to buy in. That time and budget spent on multiplayer development could've helped improved more of the singleplayer game. It probably wouldn't have garnered more total profit, but it would've made it a better game.

ME3 gets worse and worse the more you think about it. And makes me wonder just how many of the near-100% review scores actually beat the game and thought about what the ending showed.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 16, 2012, 02:26:06 AM »

Wintersun-Starchild
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rm82gjZDIDU

« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 02:33:11 AM by metallicorphan » Logged

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: March 16, 2012, 07:23:54 AM »

To be honest, I'm okay with Tali's picture. That's not a big deal and it's a decent photoshop. I'm even a fan of Tali and my Shepard pursued that romance.

90% of the people complaining couldn't do a photoshop that well.

And, at least we know that Tali looks pretty damn good, and isn't a tentacle monster.

When you're on as tight a schedule as the Bioware team was on, modeling an entire relatively human face, rigging it for animation, and more just for 1-2 scenes that only applies to a small percentage of your user base, it's not the best way to use limited resources.

Then again, considering they twiddled their thumbs for this ending, well one wonders where the time went.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 16, 2012, 08:19:00 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on March 16, 2012, 07:23:54 AM

To be honest, I'm okay with Tali's picture. That's not a big deal and it's a decent photoshop. I'm even a fan of Tali and my Shepard pursued that romance.

90% of the people complaining couldn't do a photoshop that well.

And, at least we know that Tali looks pretty damn good, and isn't a tentacle monster.

When you're on as tight a schedule as the Bioware team was on, modeling an entire relatively human face, rigging it for animation, and more just for 1-2 scenes that only applies to a small percentage of your user base, it's not the best way to use limited resources.

Then again, considering they twiddled their thumbs for this ending, well one wonders where the time went.

you think that's a decent photoshop?,sure i can't do stuff like that(never tried),but all they have done have put marks on her neck and face,made her bosseyed and cut off two of her fingers  Tongue

This was a main character who has been with the series since the very start,and this is the outcome?

for me it was more looking at Tali's posture,especially her legs below the knee's and thinking what a weird and wonderful being she could be under there and then seeing that picture of her unmasked,where's the mystery gone?,it's just another typical red hot girl Roll Eyes ...like the Asari's are not enough for that

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 16, 2012, 09:32:50 AM »

oh yeah,what the hell was with all the Red Telephone Boxes?,was it to keep on reminding you that you were in London?,the thing is those Phone Boxes are hard to find nowadays,let alone 200 years in the future..I haven't actually seen one since perhaps the last Century in Manchester,we have the BT glass booths now,and even they are disappearing quick because of Mobile Phones

I think the only Red Phone Box they have now in London is to get into the Ministry of Magic Tongue

Bioware promise to discuss the ending when more people have finished the game

Eurogamer

"We appreciate everyone's feedback about Mass Effect 3 and want you to know that we are listening," Chris Priestly, BioWare's community coordinator, wrote on the official forum.

"Active discussions about the ending are more than welcome here, and the team will be reviewing it for feedback and responding when we can. Please note, we want to give people time to experience the game so while we can't get into specifics right now, we will be able to address some of your questions once more people have had time to complete the game. In the meantime, we'd like to ask that you keep the non-spoiler areas of our forums and our social media channels spoiler free.

"We understand there is a lot of debate on the Mass Effect 3 ending and we will be more than happy to engage in healthy discussions once more people get to experience the game. We are listening to all of your feedback."

the article goes on to say:
Priestly's comments follow those made earlier this week by Mass Effect director and executive producer Casey Hudson, who explained that Mass Effect 3's "polarising" finale was necessary to get fans talking about the game.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 09:41:06 AM by metallicorphan » Logged

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: March 16, 2012, 02:56:19 PM »

Except that you DO NOT end a series on a ton of questions like they did! Did Bioware not take Writing 101? The way to get people to talk about an ending is to actually HAVE an ending that's worth talking about!

The only thing people are talking about as far as how the ending goes is what an utter piece of shit the ending is. THAT'S IT.

And yes, the phone booth thing is a little odd. I guess it's because London is known for its red phonebooths or something, but still...who will use them?

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 16, 2012, 03:52:01 PM »

Because in the future London is a theme park about the 1970s. Sort of like the Moon in Futurama. Duh.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 16, 2012, 04:38:18 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on March 16, 2012, 01:54:30 AM

And apparently reviewers got a little piece of paper in their review copy. Not uncommon at all, but it said this:

If you listen to Jeff Gertsman's critique of the game in this week's Giantbombcast, he makes it seem clear that there are a lot of just bad design choices in the game, the Prothean DLC for example, that make it very obvious that profit and pantering to a wider audience was a big deal to Bioware/EA. He said that the documentation that came with all the review copies, specifically asked reviewers to frame their reviews from the perspective of a player new to the entire series. They even mentioned that the save import feature was just a "bonus", but not something that was important to the game.

Bioware/EA's priorities in this game was to sell it to a very wide audience. Why's why James was introduced, that's why a lot of the story elements weren't as deep as they should've been. The 18 month development time didn't help either. It also explains why multiplayer was added. No one of serie's fans would've mind at all if multiplayer wasn't included, but when you're trying to sell to a wider audience, you have to include that feature to get more of them to buy in. That time and budget spent on multiplayer development could've helped improved more of the singleplayer game. It probably wouldn't have garnered more total profit, but it would've made it a better game.

ME3 gets worse and worse the more you think about it. And makes me wonder just how many of the near-100% review scores actually beat the game and thought about what the ending showed.

While I don't like the ending any more than anyone else, these specific criticisms are unfair.  ME3 had just as long a development time as ME2 did and it was two years, not 18 months.  While they may have wanted reviewers to approach the game from a newcomer perspective, the game itself actually plays far better with an import and does a really good job at blending everything from the series together. 

Outside of the ending, I think ME3 is the best game in the series. 
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 16, 2012, 05:49:35 PM »

This is an apparent deleted scene(no joke)

if this had happened as well i think i would of lost it(More so)...but then again if it did happen,i would of liked Turtle's idea even more of the ending with it ending after Anderson dies with them looking out at what the crucible was doing(and it working)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3PQT4c_r7Q&feature=player_embedded

It's only 18 seconds long

EDIT:another deleted scene here,with the stand in voices(nothing to do with the end)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrekghBHU5o&feature=watch_response

47 seconds long
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 05:52:02 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 17, 2012, 02:01:04 AM »

There has been an update to that 'discussion on the endings'

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/03/16/bioware-to-discuss-mass-effect-3-endings.aspx

[Update] Mass Effect 3 executive producer Casey Hudson has issued the following statement on Mass Effect 3's endings:

There’s been a lot of discussion and debate about the conclusion of Mass Effect 3, so I thought I’d share my perspective with you here. I’ll avoid outright spoilers, but I’d still recommend finishing the game and experiencing it for yourself before reading this.

For the last eight years, Mass Effect has been a labor of love for our team; love for the characters we’ve created, for the medium of video games, and for the fans that have supported us. For us and for you, Mass Effect 3 had to live up to a lot of expectations, not only for a great gaming experience, but for a resolution to the countless storylines and decisions you’ve made as a player since the journey began in 2007. So we designed Mass Effect 3 to be a series of endings to key plots and storylines, each culminating in scenes that show you the consequences of your actions. You then carry the knowledge of these consequences with you as you complete the final moments of your journey.

We always intended that the scale of the conflict and the underlying theme of sacrifice would lead to a bittersweet ending—to do otherwise would betray the agonizing decisions Shepard had to make along the way. Still, we wanted to give players the chance to experience an inspiring and uplifting ending; in a story where you face a hopeless struggle for basic survival, we see the final moments and imagery as offering victory and hope in the context of sacrifice and reflection.

We've had some incredibly positive reactions to Mass Effect 3, from the New York Times declaring it “a gripping, coherent triumph”, to Penny Arcade calling it “an amazing accomplishment”, to emails and tweets from players who have given us the most profound words of appreciation we've ever received.

But we also recognize that some of our most passionate fans needed more closure, more answers, and more time to say goodbye to their stories—and these comments are equally valid. Player feedback such as this has always been an essential ingredient in the development of the series.

I am extremely proud of what this team has accomplished, from the first art concepts for the Mass Effect universe to the final moments of Mass Effect 3. But we didn't do it on our own. Over the course of the series, Mass Effect has been a shared experience between the development team and our fans—not just a shared experience in playing the games, but in designing and developing them. An outpouring of love for Garrus and Tali led to their inclusion as love interests in Mass Effect 2. A request for deeper RPG systems led to key design changes in Mass Effect 3. Your feedback has always mattered. Mass Effect is a collaboration between developers and players, and we continue to listen.

So where do we go from here? Throughout the next year, we will support Mass Effect 3 by working on new content. And we’ll keep listening, because your insights and constructive feedback will help determine what that content should be. This is not the last you’ll hear of Commander Shepard.

We look forward to your continued support and involvement as we work together to shape the remaining experiences in the story of the Mass Effect trilogy.

Thanks for taking this journey with us.

Casey Hudson

so,if this was planned(the highlighted part)...was it really planned to let everyone know so soon?,or has the criticism got that much?

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 17, 2012, 02:30:35 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on March 17, 2012, 02:01:04 AM

so,if this was planned(the highlighted part)...was it really planned to let everyone know so soon?,or has the criticism got that much?

DLC has always been planned.  However previous comments by Hudson quoted in the final days app, seemed to indicate that any future content would be set before or during ME3, not after.  So if there is indeed a DLC that comes out that addresses the ending I would guess that it's probably being created to salvage the ending. 
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: March 17, 2012, 04:58:14 AM »

No, this is outright PR lies to cover up cuts to the game length to make the release date.

What they've given us isn't bittersweet or controversial within the story itself, it's bitter and controversial because it's just plain bad. If say, there's a ton of fallout that I'm not happy with from actual actions in game leading up to the end of the series, I'd be okay with that, and many fans would be as well. In a game about choices, you're expected to be punished or rewarded for making the hard choices.

The PR bobble heads are trying to spin this so that the fans are the ones to blame, a classic PR move overall. But, I know the score, as do most people who have an inkling of understanding about how stories work.

And I'd also be fine with ME3 being the last we heard of Commander Shepard.

A lot of media out there are quick to jump on the idea that fans are feeling way too entitled to demand changes to the ending, before even seeing the ending themselves. But let's be frank, there really wasn't much artistic integrity or nuance put into this ending. It's a mash of cliches from across a glut of TV shows and movies. It's funny to hear them reverse their stances on it afterwards.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 05:01:29 AM by Turtle » Logged
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 17, 2012, 07:17:00 AM »

found these as well

https://twitter.com/#!/masseffect/status/179686320568926209

These are actually from a few days ago

Jake Finn ‏ @JakeFinn94
@masseffect Are you holding something back, that could quell the large amount of frustration from the community, a tiny hint would be enough

Mass Effect ‏ @masseffect
@jakefinn94 Mike Gamble already said on his twitter, if the fans knew what was in store, the reaction would be different.

cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 17, 2012, 07:06:49 PM »

What was in store should have been a completed, finished game. What they gave us was the 2nd coming of KotoR2.

Given BioWare's massive fuck up here with Mass Effect 3 and their massive fuck up with Dragon Age 2 where they only used about 6 zones for the entire game, and given how much of a mess they've made SWTOR where they decided to not even come anywhere close to innovation, I believe BioWare just might be the laziest developer out there right now.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 07:08:54 PM by cheeba » Logged
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: March 18, 2012, 03:04:26 AM »

Dragon Age 2 ended way better than ME3 at least.
greeneggsnham
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 18, 2012, 05:25:55 AM »

I'm with everyone else here. The ending SUCKS. My thanks for supporting Bioware and this franchise for it's run is this ending?

The Hitler youtube and the '5 reason the ending to Mass 3 sucks' article linked prior pretty much sum it up perfectly.

The ironic thing is, up until the ending, your character/story has HUGE attachment with what you've done and 'your' story up to that point. Decisions, friendships, Geth/Quarian, Krogan etc. Probably the most emotional attachement I've ever seen in gaming up until this point (I'm 37. I've been gaming since 14 or so). And the ending just goes and disregards everything.

Honestly? I hope Bioware can salvage this clusterfuck, but as a fan of the series, at this point, I just feel screwed. And if they do manage to add a decent ending, and it's actually one worth having, I'll have to pay for it when I already paid for the game.

SCREWED.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 20, 2012, 07:53:17 PM »

All the colors in one youtube video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPelM2hwhJA

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: March 20, 2012, 09:08:40 PM »

Can we just have someone mod these endings in?

Tali Romance Ending
Liara Romance Ending
You failed and Reapers win ending

Basically a good example of the bittersweet ending Bioware claims the game has as opposed to just a bitter one.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 21, 2012, 02:27:46 AM »

well,i don't know what to say...if these videos are correct,then I have to applaud Bioware for being ballsy enough to stick with it,although,the way they went about it,wasn't what i would call ideal

yes,it's the indoctrination theory

the first video is to give you an idea,(3minutes),the second video(20minutes) goes into more detail taking evidence from the first 2 games as well

even if these turn out not to be true,they are my endings now Tongue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ7bsIpEKIg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ythY_GkEBck

oh yeah check out around 7minutes 40ish on that second video,i didn't notice that when i played
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 02:34:10 AM by metallicorphan » Logged

Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 21, 2012, 02:58:56 AM »

Even if indoctrination were true, it's a dumb ending to end as it did
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 21, 2012, 03:01:31 AM »

Quote from: Azhag on March 21, 2012, 02:58:56 AM

Even if indoctrination were true, it's a dumb ending to end as it did

yeah i definitely still agree with that

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: March 21, 2012, 05:55:04 AM »

Did you really think that the people responsible for the stupidity of the red, green, or blue, endings could really come up with something as interesting as indoctrination ending?

Let's be realistic here. The people who are harping on the whole thing being an indoctrination fugue are reading way too much more into it, and are basically clinging to hope.

And don't forget that indoctrination, for the entire series, has been a slow process from constant exposure.

Even if Bioware retcons the current endings to be indoctrination shenanigans, it's pretty clear that if the fan reaction hadn't been as bad, they probably would have left it as is. Any changes will be reactionary, rather than planned.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 21, 2012, 03:56:22 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on March 21, 2012, 05:55:04 AM

Did you really think that the people responsible for the stupidity of the red, green, or blue, endings could really come up with something as interesting as indoctrination ending?

Let's be realistic here. The people who are harping on the whole thing being an indoctrination fugue are reading way too much more into it, and are basically clinging to hope.

And don't forget that indoctrination, for the entire series, has been a slow process from constant exposure.

Even if Bioware retcons the current endings to be indoctrination shenanigans, it's pretty clear that if the fan reaction hadn't been as bad, they probably would have left it as is. Any changes will be reactionary, rather than planned.

the second video goes into that,and Arrival DLC is a big part of it...i remember thinking the same thing about it when playing Arrival,but admittedly forgot all about it,or that it didn't effect him like i thought it would do

It even goes into the first game as well,and things make a lot of sense(maybe I AM being Indoctrinated  paranoid)

However,it's still the 7minutes 40 part on the second video that hit me like a ton of bricks,as i didn't turn around when i was walking towards the light after the red beam hit me,so i didn't see it

I doubt the part where Harbringer is trying to trick him into Paragon/Renegade at the end is right,with the colours reversed..that sounded a bit too much,but i did like that the kid was being used against him(i just thought it was some lame AI/VI that they took an image from his mind so he could relate to it) and the kids voice was actually the Male and Female Shepards both at the same time,to concrete that theory that its all in his head

If Bioware don't do something for the end,then these videos are the all the explanation i need from now on...screw Bioware,but i doubt i could play the series again still,i have even stopped reading the book

these videos have at least made my game better  icon_biggrin

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 21, 2012, 03:58:48 PM »

I beat the game last night and the end was definately a let down.

Did anyone else have a hard time figuring out how to actually make the end choice that they wanted? It could have at least said in game which path was which.

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 21, 2012, 04:55:37 PM »

http://blog.bioware.com/2012/03/21/4108/

As co-founder and GM of BioWare, I’m very proud of the ME3 team; I personally believe Mass Effect 3 is the best work we’ve yet created. So, it’s incredibly painful to receive feedback from our core fans that the game’s endings were not up to their expectations. Our first instinct is to defend our work and point to the high ratings offered by critics – but out of respect to our fans, we need to accept the criticism and feedback with humility.

I believe passionately that games are an art form, and that the power of our medium flows from our audience, who are deeply involved in how the story unfolds, and who have the uncontested right to provide constructive criticism. At the same time, I also believe in and support the artistic choices made by the development team.  The team and I have been thinking hard about how to best address the comments on ME3’s endings from players, while still maintaining the artistic integrity of the game.

Mass Effect 3 concludes a trilogy with so much player control and ownership of the story that it was hard for us to predict the range of emotions players would feel when they finished playing through it.  The journey you undertake in Mass Effect provokes an intense range of highly personal emotions in the player; even so, the passionate reaction of some of our most loyal players to the current endings in Mass Effect 3 is something that has genuinely surprised us. This is an issue we care about deeply, and we will respond to it in a fair and timely way. We’re already working hard to do that.

To that end, since the game launched, the team has been poring over everything they can find about reactions to the game – industry press, forums, Facebook, and Twitter, just to name a few. The Mass Effect team, like other teams across the BioWare Label within EA, consists of passionate people who work hard for the love of creating experiences that excite and delight our fans.  I’m honored to work with them because they have the courage and strength to respond to constructive feedback.

Building on their research, Exec Producer Casey Hudson and the team are hard at work on a number of game content initiatives that will help answer the questions, providing more clarity for those seeking further closure to their journey. You’ll hear more on this in April.  We’re working hard to maintain the right balance between the artistic integrity of the original story while addressing the fan feedback we’ve received.  This is in addition to our existing plan to continue providing new Mass Effect content and new full games, so rest assured that your journey in the Mass Effect universe can, and will, continue.

The reaction to the release of Mass Effect 3 has been unprecedented. On one hand, some of our loyal fans are passionately expressing their displeasure about how their game concluded; we care about this feedback, and we’re planning to directly address it. However, most folks appear to agree that the game as a whole is exceptional, with more than 75 critics giving it a perfect review score and a review average in the mid-90s. Net, I’m proud of the team, but we can and must always strive to do better.

Some of the criticism that has been delivered in the heat of passion by our most ardent fans, even if founded on valid principles, such as seeking more clarity to questions or looking for more closure, for example – has unfortunately become destructive rather than constructive. We listen and will respond to constructive criticism, but much as we will not tolerate individual attacks on our team members, we will not support or respond to destructive commentary.

If you are a Mass Effect fan and have input for the team – we respect your opinion and want to hear it. We’re committed to address your constructive feedback as best we can. In return, I’d ask that you help us do that by supporting what I truly believe is the best game BioWare has yet crafted. I urge you to do your own research: play the game, finish it and tell us what you think. Tell your friends if you feel it’s a good game as a whole. Trust that we are doing our damndest, as always, to address your feedback.  As artists, we care about our fans deeply and we appreciate your support.

Thank you for your feedback – we are listening.

Ray

see,the thing i want most right now,before any DLC,or any different endings,is THEIR explanation on the ending,seeing things from their point of view may explain some of the seemingly dumb things we have witnessed in that end and what they were thinking off as a whole etc

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: March 21, 2012, 05:47:34 PM »

I saw the indoctrination theory video and immediately dismissed it. It's grasping at straws ("you can see the boy smirk" - No you can't!), doesn't have a single piece of evidence in it beyond absurd speculation, and is jumping at a conclusion that goes against the evidence we've seen since Mass Effect 1. Indoctrination has been subtle (for the person suffering from it) in every single case we've seen. In every case the indoctrinated person has believed himself in full control of the situation. In fact, I can't find anything about Shepard's situation that reminds me of other characters' indoctrinations.

What the heck was Shepard indoctrinated for anyway? If he was actually given the power he had at the end, that wouldn't really make sense for the Reapers to allow him to defeat their entire purpose like that. If he was indoctrinated they wouldn't have let him.

If he didn't have the power to do anything about the Reapers and it all took place in his mind, that's even worse. No other indoctrinated character experienced anything like that in any of the sources I've seen.

No, indoctrination is a poor theory and should be dismissed.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: March 21, 2012, 05:49:37 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on March 21, 2012, 04:55:37 PM

see,the thing i want most right now,before any DLC,or any different endings,is THEIR explanation on the ending,seeing things from their point of view may explain some of the seemingly dumb things we have witnessed in that end and what they were thinking off as a whole etc

Let me translate that press release:

"Coming in April: New paid DLC that expands and explains the ending to Mass Effect 3."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: