http://gamingtrend.com
August 22, 2014, 10:06:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mass Effect 3 - Spoilers/Ending (Now with Spoiler Tags)  (Read 4503 times)
Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 09, 2012, 08:51:16 PM »

And so, my journey has come to an end.  A story which began in 2007(?) has finally finished being told, and I have to say I am unsure of what to think.  Over the course of three games, I developed an emotional attachment/connection with quite a few of the characters in the Mass Effect world.  The story had me absorbed, constantly pushing forward so that I could see the conclusion...just as any good book has ever done for me...but now it is all over...and it feels so empty for lack of a better term.

I have played out two of the endings, neither of which seemed all that different to me, because it was as though Bioware forgot that they were telling us a story.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I played a bit of multiplayer to get the "multiplier" to 58% for War Readiness, however I had done enough of the side quests that even at 58% efficiency, the meter was full.  For the final assault, I took along Liara and Garrus, two of the three characters I had become most attached to over the course of the series.  We push through the waves of reaper forces, manage to fire off the missiles and take out the Reaper who was guarding the beam that would teleport us up on to the Citadel.  We begin making the final run, but I look around and neither are with me anymore.  Nearly dead, I make it on to the Citadel with Anderson also making it somehow.  In the end I was presented with three choices.

• Use the catalyst to destroy all synthetics including the Geth, (And myself included I assume since the boy makes mention I am now part synthetic.  No promises this will ever bring peace because another generation will just invent synthetics again.
  • Take control of the Reapers, and then I would have control to make them retreat back to wherever they came from.
  • Add myself to the catalyst to invoke the ultimate and final evolution of all races...by combining organics and synthetics.

In the end I choose to add myself to the catalyst and bring about the final evolution,"Synthesis", by fusing organic and synthetics.  This triggers a minor cinematic where the normandy is brought down by the shockwave fired out, and out climbs Joker, EDI and Liara...really?  First...ignoring how horrible of an ending this was...how in the hell did Liara get on to the Normandy, which was no where near the battlefield.  I can see "circuitry" to know that all life is now "evolved" but there is no closure.  No telling of what happened to any of the other squad mates...what happens with the Krogan, what happens with the Geth or Quarians....all I get is a few frames of Joker, EDI and Liara looking up to the skies on a foreign planet.

So I went back and replayed the ending, which is brutally slow, and this time I choose to control the reapers...the difference?  Instead of the Catalyst firing off a green shockwave of energy, it is now blue lightning looking.  Same cutscene as before, except this time it is Joker, Garrus and Liara climbing out of the crashed Normandy.  No closure to what ends up happening.

I really felt like the ending ended up being a punch in the gut, for having the audacity to care about the characters and what happens in the game world.  They don't bother telling us what happens to any of the people we came to love and care for.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 07:11:53 PM by Arkon » Logged
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 07:11:22 PM »

Since it seems this thread was getting no discussion, despite folks finishing the game, I figure it was due to my decision to not use spoilers, so that has been amended.  Discuss away!
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 07:14:09 PM »

soo

Spoiler for Hiden:
the reapers were created so humans wouldn't make machines that kill them? checks out.

a+ writing by bioware.
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 07:38:03 PM »

Ok, I played it all the way through, continuing my "Perfect Paragon" from ME1 > ME2 and now ME3.  The overall game was great, but the ending is a different story.  It's probably the worst ending since FO3 and a contender for top-10 sucky endings of all time.  The suckiness of the endings exists of a number of different levels (of hell).

1.  There are additional endings, Arkon.  Some are supposedly better than the ones that you mentioned.  But the really "good" endings are entirely out of reach unless you play multiplayer.  Needless to say, I'm rather displeased by that fact.  In fact, I'm outright incensed.  It's fucking inexcusable that I am cut off from single-player endings because I don't want to play some shitty co-op version of Mass Effect.

2.  The ending doesn't make much sense, no matter what you choose.  Some weird conversation with SpookyBoy, which results in overblown shitty solutions to a problem.  After 3 games of choice, it seems that you don't have a choice of actually discussing this with SpookyBoy and helping him to see how fucked up his shitty solutions are?  Talk about pulling the rug out from under the player!  Listen you little twit, send the Reapers home and beam me back to Earth!  I couldn't even shoot the little fucker.  

3.  Yeah, they all end pretty much the same way...with some of the Normandy crew staring at some strange planet.  Even those who were on the ground fighting with you.  Uh, how?

4.  It's fucking absurd that there's no endings save game and that you're forced to replay the entire (unskippable) confrontation with the Invisible Man.  I went through that misery twice - the second time I ALT-TABBED out and manually copied the autosave file so I could restore from the SpookyBoy discussion.

5.  Didn't Bioware think that players would want to be rewarded after 3 games and perhaps 150 hours invested in a character?  Is that so hard?  Let my FemShep and Liara settle down somewhere and live out their lives in peace.  They deserve it.  But no, Liara is doomed to starve on some god-forsaken world while FemShep dies?  Fuck you, Bioware.

I've played ME2 3 times.  ME1 twice.  I have pretty much all the ME2 DLC.  But I have no desire to replay ME3 because I know that shitty, horrible ending sequence is waiting for me.  

6.  What really sucks is that I'm going to end up paying $15 to get the "real" ending to this saga in a DLC.  I'll pay it because I'm emotionally invested in the ME universe and my character.  But it pisses me off to no end and any goodwill built from this series goes right out the window.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 12:16:41 AM »

Very disappointed by the endings. Not what the ME games were building up to.

I absolutely hate games that have meaningless and arbitrary choices at the end that invalidate everything else done in the game. Oh and the usual arbitrary and cliche heroic sacrifice, despite the technology represented in the game being more than capable. Yeah, I said it, it's pointlessly and arbitrarily cliche now that so many games throw in the main character dying at the end.

Not to mention an ending that all the plot elements that were never built up or hinted at.

It's like they couldn't write themselves out of the Reaper sized hole and just rubbed crap against the wall until something looked half-decent.

What sucks is that, right up until the very end, where you make that choice between the 3 solutions.

What's way way worse, and I have to restate this, was that the technology and fantasy science presented in Mass Effect 3 so far pretty much invalidates the need for those crappy 3 choices. There's no need to have a galaxy-wide beam that blows up reapers if you choose that, when the crucible AI clearly states he controls them. Just issue the shut down command. Likewise, you just don't need to sacrifice yourself because to gain synthesis, just take a tissue sample, clone the sample for the biological component, and do a brain scan. The geth had scanners that could put someone in a virtual world, for instance, if they needed Shepard's mind.

Oh and way to reuse otherwise great themes like making Saren commit suicide, but with the Illusive Man. That never seemed like the IM's way of doing things, it would have been way more awesome if he had at least gone down fighting in a different way. They also never made IM sympathetic in previous games.

As others have posted, the rest of the game was great, amazing in fact.

My favorite moments were just all the big and little things they did to reward long time fans, and choices. Lots of hints at a positive future for the Krogan, but only if you have Wrex and the Female alive. Likewise she could die if certain things didn't happen, leaving the aggressive males without someone to keep him in check.

I spent a whole lot of time at the choice screen at the end of the Geth and Quarrian mission. In the end, I chose to let Legion upload, which was nerve racking since my Shepard's partner was Tali. But thankfully they let you talk them down from annihilation. I honestly thought it would be either one like on Virmire. But rather going so far to help the Geth, I couldn't back down.

All that awesomeness, destroyed by one dumbass writer at the end.
Barrakketh
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 01:03:30 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on March 13, 2012, 12:16:41 AM

Oh and way to reuse otherwise great themes like making Saren commit suicide, but with the Illusive Man. That never seemed like the IM's way of doing things, it would have been way more awesome if he had at least gone down fighting in a different way. They also never made IM sympathetic in previous games.

As others have posted, the rest of the game was great, amazing in fact.

I couldn't select the final dialogue option for TIM, so I shot him instead. Far more satisfying in my opinion.

Chose the "red" Destroy all Reapers/synthetics option, which was the only option I even considered. Stay on mission. I imagine, as Shepard squared her shoulders, and lost the limp in those final few steps as she emptied her pistol into the device, she may have said a final "I'm sorry, EDI".

I knew going into the last run at the beam that things were grim. Every squad member I talked to once in London seemed resigned to failure. Kaidan pretty much says we're all dead. Garrus takes a crack at some bravado but you know he knows the odds are stacked the wrong way. Even EDI with her 'a slim chance is better than none'  line is admitting reality is about to catch up. So, I wasn't all that crushed by the ending, except - I would have liked get a more coherent epilogue on who survived and where, and how.

Before the ending I'd rate the game 9.5 out of 10, due to a few buggy side missions and the mission waypoints not always updating on the maps. Everything else was just about perfect - the writing, the music, the visuals. If Bioware somehow releases a revised ending that fixes the last 5 minutes, the 9.5 will stand. As it is now, I'd knock a point or two off.

Now to start over with an engineer this time instead of an adept.
Asharak
Gaming Trend Reader

Elitist Ash-hole

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 02:36:12 AM »

I'm not sure why we need spoiler tags in here, but I'll use them anyway. This is just cross-posting my initial comments about the ending from the general impression thread, since I figure most people over there won't dare click on them. Thoughts about other aspects of the ending(s) tomorrow, probably:

Spoiler for Hiden:
So the ultimate explanation for the cycle of extinction is that this being, whatever it represents, believes that all organic life ultimately creates synthetic life, that synthetic life inevitably rebels against its creators and the resulting conflict would be so horrific that using the Reapers to "clear the deck" of advanced organic life just before this armageddon occurs in each cycle is justified.

Now, to be fair, this theme doesn't come out of nowhere. ME1 and ME2 both dealt significantly with dangers of artificial intelligence: the VI on Luna, the AI behind the Presidium Emporium, the question of using even a shackled EDI (then even more so the unshackled one) and, of course, the Quarian-Geth conflict (which would seem to be the ultimate proof positive of this concept).

Except: the first 98% of ME3 turns this on its head. EDI, now completely unshackled and supposedly incredibly dangerous, demonstrates herself to be completely loyal and devoted to Shepard (and possibly more importantly Joker's) cause. She doesn't betray you to Cerberus, her creator, or to the Geth, her kin. Shepard's conversations can even guide her to, in Shepard's words, discovering a little humanity. Likewise, the Quarian-Geth conflict has backstory added that shows the Geth capable of compassion / mercy (they allowed the original Quarians to flee Rannoch, rather than annihilating them) and it is possible to resolve that plot with both races returning to Rannoch and beginning to live in harmony again.

Up to this point, we have a pretty great story: the first two games establish a galaxy full of fear and suspicion for AIs -- but then two powerful examples in ME3 demonstrate how myopic this belief is and introduce the possibility of a conclusion where artificial life (possibly even including the Reapers?) can be redeemed. And then the ending completely ignores BOTH of these plots from ME3, forces you to make a decision based on the now-demonstrably-false assumption that organic and synthetic life are incompatible and doesn't even give you the chance to argue your experiences to the being that was behind it all. Where were the "You're wrong! I just fought my way to you with an AI at my side!" or "Look at Rannoch, where centuries of bitter hatred have been replaced by co-existence and co-operation!" dialogues? Where was the ending that allowed you to pacify / talk down / reprogram the Reapers and lead the two forms of life, while still separate, to exist symbiotically?

I'm not saying you should have to take that ending. A "you annihilated half the galaxy, you must BURN" ending still makes a lot of sense as well. But to not even present the option, to not even acknowledge the possibility, to in fact force you to choose from three outcomes that are all based on the diametrically opposite premise is an incomprehensible travesty. Whoever wrote that final scene simply didn't. Play. The. Game.
Or am I totally off base here?

- Ash
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 02:55:29 AM »

Playing the game I was ready to call it the best gaming series ever. Then I hit the ending. It makes me not want to play it again.

What an utter failure on BioWare's part.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 08:44:40 AM »

Quote from: Asharak on March 13, 2012, 02:36:12 AM

I'm not sure why we need spoiler tags in here, but I'll use them anyway. This is just cross-posting my initial comments about the ending from the general impression thread, since I figure most people over there won't dare click on them. Thoughts about other aspects of the ending(s) tomorrow, probably:

Spoiler for Hiden:
So the ultimate explanation for the cycle of extinction is that this being, whatever it represents, believes that all organic life ultimately creates synthetic life, that synthetic life inevitably rebels against its creators and the resulting conflict would be so horrific that using the Reapers to "clear the deck" of advanced organic life just before this armageddon occurs in each cycle is justified.

Now, to be fair, this theme doesn't come out of nowhere. ME1 and ME2 both dealt significantly with dangers of artificial intelligence: the VI on Luna, the AI behind the Presidium Emporium, the question of using even a shackled EDI (then even more so the unshackled one) and, of course, the Quarian-Geth conflict (which would seem to be the ultimate proof positive of this concept).

Except: the first 98% of ME3 turns this on its head. EDI, now completely unshackled and supposedly incredibly dangerous, demonstrates herself to be completely loyal and devoted to Shepard (and possibly more importantly Joker's) cause. She doesn't betray you to Cerberus, her creator, or to the Geth, her kin. Shepard's conversations can even guide her to, in Shepard's words, discovering a little humanity. Likewise, the Quarian-Geth conflict has backstory added that shows the Geth capable of compassion / mercy (they allowed the original Quarians to flee Rannoch, rather than annihilating them) and it is possible to resolve that plot with both races returning to Rannoch and beginning to live in harmony again.

Up to this point, we have a pretty great story: the first two games establish a galaxy full of fear and suspicion for AIs -- but then two powerful examples in ME3 demonstrate how myopic this belief is and introduce the possibility of a conclusion where artificial life (possibly even including the Reapers?) can be redeemed. And then the ending completely ignores BOTH of these plots from ME3, forces you to make a decision based on the now-demonstrably-false assumption that organic and synthetic life are incompatible and doesn't even give you the chance to argue your experiences to the being that was behind it all. Where were the "You're wrong! I just fought my way to you with an AI at my side!" or "Look at Rannoch, where centuries of bitter hatred have been replaced by co-existence and co-operation!" dialogues? Where was the ending that allowed you to pacify / talk down / reprogram the Reapers and lead the two forms of life, while still separate, to exist symbiotically?

I'm not saying you should have to take that ending. A "you annihilated half the galaxy, you must BURN" ending still makes a lot of sense as well. But to not even present the option, to not even acknowledge the possibility, to in fact force you to choose from three outcomes that are all based on the diametrically opposite premise is an incomprehensible travesty. Whoever wrote that final scene simply didn't. Play. The. Game.

- Ash

No, that's pretty much the entire problem here.

I spent lots of time carefully choosing stuff this game because I thought it really matters and I need everyone on board. Past squabbles be damned. I bent over backwards for the krogan, despite my better judgement.
Then bioware goes and says lol, doesn't matter, choose your color.

They created one of the most interesting universes in recent gaming wit well thought out backstory and truly interesting characters and then just spit on us with the stupidest cop out ever. After 3 damn games and 100 some hours we get a god damn 2 minute bullshit ending? I expected an epic battle of shit going down, captains sacrificing ships to buy time for the crucible. but who cares right? some unknown dude just randomly shows up says, lol i created machines to kill you so you don't create machines that kill you.

I think for our investment in the games and characters we deserved a bit better, yeah?
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 11:46:42 AM »

As to why the spoiler tag, I had originally posted this without spoiler tags, and no one was responding, so thought it might be due to not using the tags.

One of the biggest issues I had, and the reason I didn't pick the destroy the reapers option was that it meant I was also destroying the Geth, which made no sense to me.  I worked my ass off to broker peace between the Quarians and the Geth, and with Legion uploading his code I felt safe in leaving the Geth around...but now for some dumb ass reason, to kill the reapers I have to kill the Geth...WTF that makes no sense.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 12:12:11 PM »

Saw this linked on Quarter to Three, and I must agree...this would have been a way better ending:

http://social.bioware.com/forum/Mass-Effect-3/Mass-Effect-3-Story-and-Campaign-Discussion-Spoilers-Allowed/This-guy-got-the-ending-right--9833130-1.html
Asharak
Gaming Trend Reader

Elitist Ash-hole

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 12:51:31 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on March 13, 2012, 12:12:11 PM

Agreed. It's not the only ending that could have worked but it would certainly have been a damn sight better than what BioWare wrote. It contains the two key elements that the official ending completely missed:

1) Showing you the impact that your decisions throughout ME3 had -- hell, having them make any impact at all would have been an improvement.

2) The ability to tell the Child and his these-are-your-only-three-choices to go f*ck himself.

- Ash
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2012, 01:53:46 PM »

So by now BioWare has to know this was a gigantic fuck up. What they do to fix it will be interesting. Will they fix it? Will they come out with a new ending that is actually decent? Or will they cop out and say "this is how we feel creatively so this is what you get"?

If they offer paid DLC with a decent ending I think I'll just watch it on YouTube and not buy it. Ideally, to me, they'll realize their fuck up and take steps to make things right. Unfortunately I don't think they will because it would likely require new voice-over and a good bit of money.
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2012, 02:30:58 PM »

Quote from: Asharak on March 13, 2012, 02:36:12 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:

- Ash

This right here pretty much sums up how pissed I am at the ending. Besides the fact that for some weird reason I got neither the Paragon or Renegade options with TIM. When my reputation bar thing was 99 percent paragon. That I am left with 3 horrible choices that go against the whole rest of the game that I just played. The only other thing is that really, those 3 choices had nothing to do with my past decisions, nothing I did would effect the 3 outcomes. Whether I was renegade or paragon, I don't see anything I've done to effect the outcome.

I am...angry at a fucking video game.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2012, 03:38:18 PM »

I guess I get you guys complaints about the ending, however, when I first encountered it, I thought it was pretty brave on Bioware's part. Shepard dying, that seemed pretty justified given how many times he/she pushed the limit. Now he/she is a real legend. I really sat for a while thinking about which choice I wanted. I ended up going middle.

Thinking a little more about it, yeah, I don't understand how Liara and EDI got on the Normandy, and there are a few more questions, but overall, I don't think that this story should have a happy ever after ending.

So that said, what is the "good" ending?  I had 97-98% readiness when I went to the end and got the achievement for having most of the war assets and got the same exact ending as Arkon? What more could I have done?

Oh, wait, is the good ending the after-credits bit with "Dr. Shepard"?  I didn't even understand what that was about. My romance was Liara and she couldn't have had a male child with Shepard. Oh, he says "THE Shepard".

EDIT: OK, now I am reading that there is a way to see Shepard at the end. I also see references to saving Anderson. But how?

EDIT: OK, I looked it up - I wasn't allowed to interrupt the Illusive Man because my rating was over 6000? WTF?

Anyway though, I don't really want to dwell on the ending, because I think the game overall was pretty fantastic. From the attack on Cerberus on, the game was non-stop intense and cinematic, on par with Uncharted 2, and the rest of the game was great as well. I had a great time with game as a whole, including MP.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 08:40:12 PM by Teggy » Logged

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Asharak
Gaming Trend Reader

Elitist Ash-hole

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2012, 04:53:12 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on March 13, 2012, 03:38:18 PM

I don't really want to dwell on the ending

Oh boy, are you ever in the wrong thread. slywink

Shepard dying, that seemed pretty justified given how many times he/she pushed the limit.

I could deal with Shepard dying. Sure, I wanted a happily-ever-after with my love interest (and, in a perfect world, that would still be attainable for an "optimal" playthrough) but this isn't a fairy tale and I could accept some heroic self-sacrifice if they'd gotten the rest of the ending right.

But the rest of the ending is so very far from right that I have no reason to forgive them that detail as artistic license.

- Ash
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2012, 05:56:32 PM »

You all might enjoy the comments thread on this Penny Arcade Report column about the ending (the Ben guy basically defends Bioware's decisions, but the comments thread seems to be running 99-1 against him  icon_razz)

Why the ending of Mass Effect 3 was satisfying, and worthy of the series (Massive spoilers)
http://penny-arcade.com/report/editorial-article/why-the-ending-of-mass-effect-3-was-satifying-and-worthy-of-the-series-mass
*I found the comments in the thread more interesting than the column itself, fwiw.

So my big question (as the ME noob) is:
Spoiler for Hiden:
If Shephard died at the beginning of ME2 and got resurrected somehow (I didn't play ME2), what's to keep them from just rezzing him again for an ME4? Does he get obliterated into tiny unresurrectable pieces? Other than the fact this is supposedly the last title in a trilogy.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 06:02:03 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
Asharak
Gaming Trend Reader

Elitist Ash-hole

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2012, 06:08:00 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on March 13, 2012, 05:56:32 PM

So my big question (as the ME noob) is:
Spoiler for Hiden:
If Shephard died at the beginning of ME2 and got resurrected somehow (I didn't play ME2), what's to keep them from just rezzing him again for an ME4? Does he get obliterated into tiny unresurrectable pieces? Other than the fact this is supposedly the last title in a trilogy.

Technically, nothing, from the writers-can-justify-anything point of view. But one of the major plot points of this game involves you obliterating the organization that arranged (and paid billions of dollars for and put years of effort into) your resurrection, so there's that... plus, as you mention, the fact that this was written and intended as the end of "Shepard's story", so I very much doubt that they'll go to that well again.

- Ash
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2012, 07:18:56 PM »

That penny arcade writer is pretty much an idiot. Writing for the controversey, rather than writing a decent argument.

As someone with creative writing training and experience, and having read probably way more than him, the ending was as though some first year student's blatant copy of 2010 a space odyssey.

People have gotten to used to stuff like television shows giving nonsensical endings just because those TV shows are just frantically trying to cap off something they never planned for.
Asharak
Gaming Trend Reader

Elitist Ash-hole

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2012, 08:24:39 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on March 13, 2012, 07:18:56 PM

That penny arcade writer is pretty much an idiot. Writing for the controversey, rather than writing a decent argument.

Agreed. And many of the "common complaints" he cites, while they may be common, were far from being the problem with the endings. For instance, that the final options were "magical": WTF? The near-magical power of the Crucible, aside from being a clichéd deus ex machina, was not the problem with those choices; it was the fact that you were compelled to pick one of those -- and ONLY one of those -- crappy outcomes without so much as a peep of protest.

- Ash
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2012, 08:36:44 PM »

Just finished... didn't have a huge problem with the choices in theory.... but the endings are all essentially the same regardless! Couple different colors or people at the end, otherwise... That is what tweaked me, they couldn't even make real endings that differentiate meaningfully? That's bull****. I want to replay with my female renegade, but at the same time I don't since none of it matters. Maybe I'll play FFXIII-2 and come back to this in a bit.

I'd have liked a fallout style ending tacked on... what happened to the Krogan with my choices? To the Geth/Quarians? Etc.

Again, liked the game, liked the leadup to the ending, but I thought ME2 did a much better job making your decisions impact the ending than ME3 did. Really decreases the replayability. Overall 8/10 due to it.

Oh, and I completely agree with Asharok and Skylander on the whole VI thread
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 08:42:48 PM by Azhag » Logged
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2012, 09:01:15 PM »

Yeah, I definitely get that. And in fact, the "good" ending that people think they are being deprived of is like 2 seconds long.

Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2012, 09:13:13 PM »

I'm not sure how Bioware can say with a straight face that there are 17 endings (or whatever). Changing 2 seconds or a color does not equal a new ending  saywhat
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2012, 01:45:06 AM »

I did think that this is pretty cool:

http://retakemasseffect.chipin.com/retake-mass-effect-childs-play

Over 10k raised in protest to the ending.

Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2012, 02:42:29 AM »

It's tough. I feel bad for the guys at Bioware that are respondsible... but then again I don't  icon_razz
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2012, 03:40:58 AM »

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2012, 03:53:24 AM »

Actually, this whole article is quite good - some of the impact of the ending, particularly the fact that there are no more Mass Relays, I didn't even think about.

http://www.gamefront.com/mass-effect-3-ending-hatred-5-reasons-the-fans-are-right/

Of course there is another theory being presented by fans that the whole segment after getting hit in London is Shepard fighting indoctrination in his mind, which is why you see him wake up in rubble if you do things a certain way. But if Bioware actually did that, it would be kind of pathetic.

SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2012, 04:49:20 AM »

What that person says scarily kind of fits with a lot of the ending. But if that is true that must be the biggest "Fuck you!" twist ever. And if Bioware really does go "Haha! Fooled you, now give us 20 dollars for the rest of the ending" I would be even more pissed than I am now.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2012, 05:26:21 AM »

Tali is a stock photo...

http://i.imgur.com/qhEJn.jpg

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2012, 06:55:12 AM »

Fuck you, Bioware. Fuck you.

That is all.

Also, if you want to see a text descriptions of the 'many endings' you have (bullshit), go here:
http://uk.ign.com/wikis/mass-effect-3/Endings
Videos are available for some of them (and odds are the others are on Youtube by now). Yeah, I guess there's '16' endings, but they're all extremely minor differences (either Earth kabooms, or not, and...well bullshit beyond that).

Fuck you, Bioware.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2012, 03:10:51 PM »

Destructor tells everyone to go F themselves, so consider that. It's just his way of saying "I love you, Bioware!  The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you.  finger

That Gamefront item mentioned earlier by Teggy went on ad nauseam about it:
http://www.gamefront.com/mass-effect-3-ending-hatred-5-reasons-the-fans-are-right/5/
Even today, the official Mass Effect Site bears this message along the top of the page:

“EXPERIENCE THE BEGINNING, MIDDLE, AND END OF AN EMOTIONAL STORY UNLIKE ANY OTHER, WHERE THE DECISIONS YOU MAKE COMPLETELY SHAPE YOUR EXPERIENCE AND OUTCOME.”

As good as Mass Effect 3 is — and it really is an exceptional game in many important ways — the product BioWare ultimately delivered literally broke that promise, and that, more than anything else, is why fans are so angry.
I likely won't bother finishing the campaign since I love the co-op, and the campaign seems to evoke nothing but misery and rage. Who needs that?

Sound like it's more:
“EXPERIENCE THE BEGINNING, MIDDLE, AND END OF AN EMOTIONAL STORY UNLIKE ANY OTHER, WHERE THE DECISIONS YOU MAKE COMPLETELY SHAPE YOUR EXPERIENCE AND OUTCOME ULTIMATELY MAKE NO DAMN DIFFERENCE AT ALL!”
icon_razz
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 04:46:46 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2012, 04:25:40 PM »

Hm, that URL looks familiar slywink

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2012, 04:45:46 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on March 14, 2012, 04:25:40 PM

Hm, that URL looks familiar slywink
Duly noted  icon_redface, though you didn't obnoxiously quote it and then correct it as I did.  smirk

Playing
PC
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2012, 08:33:52 PM »

Okay, here's the latest word on the street:

Someone downloaded the upcoming DLC pack on XBL developer network. It contains a lot of multiplayer additions like Batarians and the ability to get your DLC guns as guns in MP if you own them. This isn't surprising since we all knew that MP DLC was coming. The DLC also included indicators that it was free.

However, what was also included in the DLC was the originally planned ending, modified a bit to take into account the choice at the end. This new DLC is called, "The Truth" that picks up right from after the choice you make, and what choice you made affects the outcome. There is also talk of a DLC mission called, "The Rescue" where the Alliance is coming to get Shepard trapped on that jungle world at the end and some new alien enemies and mysteries to uncover. However, with the relays gone they have to use slow FTL. "The Truth" sounds like it's just a hoax, if not for kind of matching up with the second rumor a bit.

Statements from both Mike Gamble, the associate producer, and the MassEffect official twitter have all but outright said that something is coming to continue the ending. However, it's likely that most of these rumors are false, but something is coming regardless of whether these specific rumors are real.

Here's the twitter from @masseffect:
https://twitter.com/#!/masseffect/status/179686320568926209

Here's the unsubstantiated rumors, but interesting ideas nonetheless:
http://i.imgur.com/xjXdX.png

http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/876/ohboyherewego.jpg

To be honest, it sounds like they both ran out of time, and had issues with the leaked script, so they wrote something new that they could quickly be thrown together to release as a crappy stopgap while they finished up the game proper afterwards.

Either way, a terrible move on their part. Something is coming, but I'm not paying for it, I'll just youtube it if they make me pay for a proper ending to the game. But, there's rumors it will be free, and honestly the fanbase will revolt worse than they are now if they make us pay for it.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2012, 08:38:08 PM »

Man, the Internet is all in on this indoctrination theory. Pages and pages and pages.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2012, 08:41:16 PM »

Eh, honestly, the indoctrination theory is a bit silly. If it turns out true, it won't be due to the developers originally planning it that way, most likely they just threw that aspect in to allow for the new ending.

This whole mess of an ending was just botched.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2012, 08:49:10 PM »

The evidence is quite persuasive - one of the oddest things is that if you have a high enough rating, the ghost kid says "wake up!" when he meets you. If not, he says "why are you here?"

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2012, 08:56:16 PM »

Weird, has anyone broken down what you get at various levels of effective military strength?
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2012, 09:00:19 PM »

Well, my copy's selling on ebay in three minutes while I can get the most value. If they add something significant i'll get another used copy down the line, or just watch the cutscenes on youtube :-P. Don't really feel like supporting the ending by buying dlc.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2012, 09:13:12 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on March 14, 2012, 08:56:16 PM

Weird, has anyone broken down what you get at various levels of effective military strength?

Yeah, IGN did a giant breakdown:

http://www.ign.com/wikis/mass-effect-3/Endings

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: