http://gamingtrend.com
November 22, 2014, 05:10:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 20   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mass Effect 2 teaser and stuff! Now coming to the PS3!  (Read 29469 times)
jersoc
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #640 on: January 24, 2010, 09:04:59 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on January 24, 2010, 08:57:34 PM

Quote from: Vidiot on January 24, 2010, 08:51:02 PM

One day and.. whenever I get home for work.  I love Amazon release date shipping (free with a prime account).  No need to stop off at EB on my way home, and I support a company I like a lot more.

+1  It's all Amazon all the time for me now.
truf. plus i work til 1am on monday and can't make a mid night launch. it's also going to be 20 degrees outside. no thanks.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #641 on: January 24, 2010, 09:09:24 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on January 24, 2010, 09:02:42 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on January 24, 2010, 09:01:04 PM

One day and.. whenever I get home for work.  I love Amazon release date shipping (free with a prime account).  No need to stop off at EB on my way home, and I support a company I like a lot more.

meh, I like my Gamestop so I'm going there for the midnight release.  I also have Tuesday off (had a vacation day I needed to burn).

You're part of the problem!

mine know me so well they don't ask me that anymore unless a) it's a n00b or b) someone from corporate is in the store.  heck, yesterday I was trading in AssCreed 2 and the guy pointed out I'd get more in credit putting it towards Bioshock 2 instead of ME2 thanks to some promotion they have, so instead of getting 25 bucks I got 35 towards BS2  thumbsup

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #642 on: January 24, 2010, 09:11:36 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on January 24, 2010, 09:04:59 PM

truf. plus i work til 1am on monday and can't make a mid night launch. it's also going to be 20 degrees outside. no thanks.

you need to find a Gamestop with a bar across the street from it so you can watch the plebs suffer in the cold and then swoop in once the end of the line is in the store.

Because I can,
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #643 on: January 24, 2010, 09:35:03 PM »

i'm in wi. i'm fairly certain there's a law that states there must be a bar on every block.

amazon is such the better deal though. they are giving a 10$ coupon. So once I get that I can order FF13 and get another, win! Paying full price for games is for suckers.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #644 on: January 24, 2010, 10:21:58 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on January 24, 2010, 09:35:03 PM

amazon is such the better deal though. they are giving a 10$ coupon. So once I get that I can order FF13 and get another, win! So once I get that I can order FF13 and get another, win! Paying full price for games is for suckers.

mine is paid off from some trade in credits from the fall deluge plus holiday offers.  beyond the 10 bucks I initially put down I'm not out of pocket anything.

Because I can,
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #645 on: January 24, 2010, 10:23:56 PM »

Monday midnight launch (as I have Tuesday off) here I come! biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #646 on: January 24, 2010, 10:25:24 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on January 24, 2010, 10:23:56 PM

Monday midnight launch (as I have Tuesday off) here I come! biggrin

too bad you're not East Coast, you'd have it sooner  Tongue

Because I can,
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #647 on: January 25, 2010, 05:59:20 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 24, 2010, 10:21:58 PM

amazon is such the better deal though. they are giving a 10$ coupon. So once I get that I can order FF13 and get another, win! So once I get that I can order FF13 and get another, win! Paying full price for games is for suckers.

mine is paid off from some trade in credits from the fall deluge plus holiday offers.  beyond the 10 bucks I initially put down I'm not out of pocket anything.

Well, except for the games that you had to give them for the trade in credit.  slywink

I'm Amazon all the way unless I were to actually have the day off following a midnight release (which I never do).  Game is on my doorstep when I get home + frequently at least $5 off retail with no tax + frequently a bonus $10 gift certificate = loyal customer.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #648 on: January 25, 2010, 06:15:03 AM »

Quote from: Chaz on January 25, 2010, 05:59:20 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on January 24, 2010, 10:21:58 PM

Well, except for the games that you had to give them for the trade in credit.  slywink

sure, you may not get a lot back, but what's better, 20 bucks towards another game or having nothing but a dust collector?

Because I can,
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #649 on: January 25, 2010, 07:29:38 AM »

I'm pretty sure amazon has saved me more money than gamestop could ever hope for. I didn't pay full price for one game during the fall rush and I didn't have to trade my soul in.

I don't buy shitty games, well ok, some games turn out shit, but I tend to keep them. I rather they collect dust than get me 5 bucks and be turn around and sold for 35. Fuck you very much gamestop! Same reason I rarely sold my books back in college. Such a god damn ripoff the entire system is for us.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #650 on: January 25, 2010, 07:31:05 AM »

Yeah, everyone wins when the books and games are collecting dust on your bookshelf...or was that no-one? ;-)

A new one
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #651 on: January 25, 2010, 09:01:12 AM »

I win by being able to play them again. 5 dollars is chump change. wtf can i buy with that? jack and shit, that's what. if a game isn't good enough to keep, a game isn't good enough to buy. that's just me though. i don't see the point is turning around and getting fucked up the ass for a measly amount of cash.

to each their own. if you're going to do that why not use goozex or ebay? you will get by far a billion times better deal and let the dinosaur store go out of business already.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #652 on: January 25, 2010, 11:04:45 AM »

Speaking of release dates why is that stores can hold these midnite openings, which gets the game to people about 12 hours prior to companies like D2D and Steam who are held fast to "official" release time?  Not that its a big deal to me,  I would be sleeping and working during that time window and wouldnt have time to play it anyways,  Im just curious as to why.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #653 on: January 25, 2010, 01:30:20 PM »

If you have an edge card and take advantage of special deals you can do pretty well on Trade-Ins at Gamestop. 

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #654 on: January 25, 2010, 01:38:49 PM »

I've probably got a fairly unique setup where I can post things for sale on my internal office newsgroups and generally have it sold within the hour.  It's very common for copies of new games to pop up on there for $40-45 a few weeks after release.  It's better than Craig's List.  If there's a game that I finish and don't like enough to keep (which is kind of unusual), I just sell it at work.  But I do tend to keep a lot of games.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #655 on: January 25, 2010, 01:59:58 PM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on January 25, 2010, 11:04:45 AM

Speaking of release dates why is that stores can hold these midnite openings, which gets the game to people about 12 hours prior to companies like D2D and Steam who are held fast to "official" release time?  Not that its a big deal to me,  I would be sleeping and working during that time window and wouldnt have time to play it anyways,  Im just curious as to why.

Retailers are frightened about Digital Distribution so I think delays with the Steam/D2D/Impulse versions of games usually have to do with making retailers happy that their digital competition isn't getting a jump on them.

After all, in theory, these games could be released on Steam, etc the moment they go gold but retailers would be pissed. 
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #656 on: January 25, 2010, 02:36:50 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on January 25, 2010, 01:59:58 PM

Quote from: rshetts2 on January 25, 2010, 11:04:45 AM

Retailers are frightened about Digital Distribution so I think delays with the Steam/D2D/Impulse versions of games usually have to do with making retailers happy that their digital competition isn't getting a jump on them.

After all, in theory, these games could be released on Steam, etc the moment they go gold but retailers would be pissed. 

That's exactly it. Sad, and yes, quite annoying, but it's true.

Plus, not everybody goes to a midnight opening, so they generally put the unlock time at a point where it's fully available in that country (due to timezones and such).

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Pharaoh

View Profile
« Reply #657 on: January 25, 2010, 03:45:03 PM »

Hopefully that snore fest about other peoples buying habits is over, we can go back to talking about Mass Effect 2.

Oh Ceekay should change the thread title to Mass Effect 2 - Launch Impressions or something.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #658 on: January 25, 2010, 03:52:56 PM »

Quote from: Pharaoh on January 25, 2010, 03:45:03 PM

Hopefully that snore fest about other peoples buying habits is over, we can go back to talking about Mass Effect 2.

Oh Ceekay should change the thread title to Mass Effect 2 - Launch Impressions or something.

well if you're going to twist me arm  Tongue

Because I can,
Pharaoh

View Profile
« Reply #659 on: January 25, 2010, 03:56:55 PM »

I'm a thug, what can I say?

Turtle, I imagine you've been playing all weekend, any validity to Tom Chick's comments on Fidget where he says ME2 is more fan service than game? That's not bad exactly (as we are all hardcore fans), but to someone who just wants a solid RPG...opinion?
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #660 on: January 25, 2010, 03:57:27 PM »

This is one of those cases where I'd REALLY like to see a new thread. 17 pages or pre-release babbling needs to be let go!

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #661 on: January 25, 2010, 04:03:27 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on January 25, 2010, 03:57:27 PM

This is one of those cases where I'd REALLY like to see a new thread. 17 pages or pre-release babbling needs to be let go!

Second!

godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #662 on: January 25, 2010, 04:07:33 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on January 25, 2010, 04:03:27 PM

Quote from: coopasonic on January 25, 2010, 03:57:27 PM

Second!

Yep.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #663 on: January 25, 2010, 04:25:40 PM »

apparently they had a little oops with the DLC this morning  icon_lol

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #664 on: January 25, 2010, 04:55:13 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on January 25, 2010, 04:49:06 PM

Quote from: Pharaoh on January 25, 2010, 03:56:55 PM

Turtle, I imagine you've been playing all weekend, any validity to Tom Chick's comments on Fidget where he says ME2 is more fan service than game? That's not bad exactly (as we are all hardcore fans), but to someone who just wants a solid RPG...opinion?

I saw that in a short blurb, is there somewhere with more detail. I don't really get the distinction of fan service vs game. I need someone to spell it out for me. Doesn't matter much, my pre-order is in and paid, but I'm curious what the hell that means.

fan service to me means the game was made only for fans, kinda like Jay and Silent Bob Strikes Back was pretty much fan service.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #665 on: January 25, 2010, 05:12:17 PM »

since this is still pre-release babble:

12 HOURS!!!!!!!!!!

eek

Because I can,
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #666 on: January 25, 2010, 05:13:21 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 25, 2010, 05:12:17 PM

since this is still pre-release babble:

12 HOURS!!!!!!!!!!

eek

lol
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #667 on: January 25, 2010, 05:50:18 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 25, 2010, 04:55:13 PM

Quote from: coopasonic on January 25, 2010, 04:49:06 PM

Quote from: Pharaoh on January 25, 2010, 03:56:55 PM

I saw that in a short blurb, is there somewhere with more detail. I don't really get the distinction of fan service vs game. I need someone to spell it out for me. Doesn't matter much, my pre-order is in and paid, but I'm curious what the hell that means.

fan service to me means the game was made only for fans, kinda like Jay and Silent Bob Strikes Back was pretty much fan service.

Yeah, here's that quote from Fidget:

"As far as shooters go, MAG is a lot more satisfying than the other shooter out this week, Mass Effect 2, which picks up where Bioware's sci-fi space opera RPG left off. It's long on fan service and short on gameplay, so the threat to your wallet is a matter of how much you were invested in Mass Effect 1."

This loses credibility for me when he calls Mass Effect 2 "the other shooter out this week", then calls it a "sci-fi space opera RPG".

Fan Service for me means only people who truly love and understand a director's / actor's / writer's style and content will enjoy the creation. 

There is no reason to think Mass Effect 2 is like this.  It was written as a trilogy, it's going to have the same gameplay as the first one, with additions and enhancements, and it's going to be an RPG.  Yes, the combat does have more of a shooter feel, but it's far from getting classified as such.  I'm happy with the "Shooter / RPG" hybrid classification I mentioned when I wrote up Borderlands.

Borderlands is more shooter than RPG, and I'd say Mass Effect 2 is more RPG than shooter.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #668 on: January 25, 2010, 05:55:06 PM »

Quote from: MaxSteele on January 25, 2010, 05:50:18 PM

and I'd say Mass Effect 2 is more RPG than shooter.

That's not what I have been lead to believe from the previews.  From what I have read Bioware has maximized the shooter aspects and minimized the RPG aspects compared to ME1.

At least that's what I'm hoping...

KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #669 on: January 25, 2010, 06:02:49 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on January 25, 2010, 05:55:06 PM

Quote from: MaxSteele on January 25, 2010, 05:50:18 PM

and I'd say Mass Effect 2 is more RPG than shooter.

That's not what I have been lead to believe from the previews.  From what I have read Bioware has maximized the shooter aspects and minimized the RPG aspects compared to ME1.

At least that's what I'm hoping...

Haha, you're tricky =P.
Pharaoh

View Profile
« Reply #670 on: January 25, 2010, 06:16:10 PM »

Tom has a habit of throwing out hand grenade comments to try to drum up interest in his articles, so I took it with a grain of salt. However, with so many reviews commenting on how simplified the entire game has become, I feared he was correctly summarizing that so much is thrown out, the game accidentally went with it.
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #671 on: January 25, 2010, 06:20:50 PM »

Wow....  I hope that isn't the case.

I was watching a stream of gameplay on Justin.tv and it still looked like gameplay from Mass Effect 1, with enhanced combat.  There was still journal entries getting open after conversation trees, something about research unlocked, and I saw some inventory management as well.

I will be surprised if Bioware messed with the formula.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #672 on: January 25, 2010, 06:29:12 PM »

I love Tom's writing but my taste and his differ dramatically.  I was actually shocked that he like Dragon Age as much as he did and I can't say that I'm surprised that he didn't enjoy Mass Effect 2. 
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #673 on: January 25, 2010, 06:31:33 PM »

KG I was wondering if you were watching the MIN-NO game yesterday when the ME2 launch trailer was shown in it's entirety??? 
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #674 on: January 25, 2010, 06:33:38 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on January 25, 2010, 06:31:33 PM

KG I was wondering if you were watching the MIN-NO game yesterday when the ME2 launch trailer was shown in it's entirety??? 

I was watching the game on and off (family obligations) and I never saw the trailer. 
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #675 on: January 25, 2010, 06:34:32 PM »

I have the game pre-ordered from Amazon but I kind of want to stand in line at a GameStop for the midnight launch  retard

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #676 on: January 25, 2010, 06:36:28 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on January 25, 2010, 06:34:32 PM

I have the game pre-ordered from Amazon but I kind of want to stand in line at a GameStop for the midnight launch  retard

You're kidding.  Right?

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #677 on: January 25, 2010, 06:38:14 PM »

I thought about going to pick it up at midnight, but remembered I have to wait until tomorrow to start because I need my old hard drive which a friend is bringing tomorrow to take advantage of the final save. I just wish I could find time to finish AC2 first. Maybe if I stay up all night tonight. slywink

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #678 on: January 25, 2010, 06:38:59 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on January 25, 2010, 06:36:28 PM

You're kidding.  Right?

I've done it before. Sometimes you get to excited to wait! Though now with Release Day delivery, maybe not so much. slywink

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #679 on: January 25, 2010, 07:12:57 PM »

Quote from: MaxSteele on January 25, 2010, 06:20:50 PM

I was watching a stream of gameplay on Justin.tv and it still looked like gameplay from Mass Effect 1, with enhanced combat.  There was still journal entries getting open after conversation trees, something about research unlocked, and I saw some inventory management as well.

I will be surprised if Bioware messed with the formula.

From what I've seen of the game so far (don't ask), yes, the RPG elements have been simplified slightly. You don't have as many powers to choose from as you level (most classes seem to give you only 6ish powers/abilities to choose from total). But the conversation trees? Exactly how they worked in the first game, and the universe is just as talky as it was before. Same with the Paragon/Renegade thing.

Inventory...inventory...wait, there's an inventory? Unless something changes from what I've seen of the beginning of the game, there is NO inventory. That's a bonus in my mind, as the inventory, well, sucked in ME1. With that said - yes, you will be getting more weapons/armor/shields as the game goes on, so don't worry.

Combat is really cool. Still the same as before, but with more.

Do I need any sleep tonight or not...

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 20   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: