http://gamingtrend.com
April 21, 2014, 03:27:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 20   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mass Effect 2 teaser and stuff! Now coming to the PS3!  (Read 28738 times)
Barrakketh
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #600 on: January 23, 2010, 04:24:13 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 23, 2010, 03:32:22 AM

9.6 from IGn.  I'm not reading it, so be warned there may be spoilers.

The text review is pretty spoiler-free. However, do NOT watch the video review, as it has plenty of spoilery stuff, including most of the scenes from the launch trailer (but shown out of order).

On the same page is a somewhat humorous 5 minute video summary of the first Mass Effect for those who never played the game.

Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #601 on: January 23, 2010, 09:51:25 AM »

I'm avoiding any more media and forums since even though I love ME2 hype, there's a few things I want to keep as surprises and the forums are filled with malicious spoiler posts.

Just found out a gamestop near me has a midnight sale, and I have a ton of extra credit back from 2008 that I never used, so I got a gift card with of it.

Some answers:
You can only change your look and class when you import a character, not gender.

The Cerberus Network is basically a free DLC, news, and more service tied to Bioware's social site (social.bioware.com).  If you have Dragon Age, or an account on the bioware social site, then it's pretty much the same thing.  Each new copy of ME2 comes with a Cerberus Network card, which just has a registration code on it giving you access to all the free DLC entitled to new buyers of ME2.  This includes the new character Zaeed, cerberus gear, and some new missions.

This is why the Cerberus network access costs $15 if you buy it used and want access to the Cerberus network DLC.

Contrary to what I posted earlier, it's still unknown whether the Hammerhead will be free.  However, what I can still confirm is that there well be plenty more free DLC after the initial pack, ranging from new items, to new missions big and small.  After that, you'll see paid DLC using the hammerhead with missions ranging from single side missions, Bring Down the Sky length missions, to full on mini-campaigns going across several sectors and many hours of gameplay.

A lot of signs point to the hammerhead being free, but that later missions using it might not be.  It sounds like the hammerhead is basically a feature DLC, something that later missions use, and thus needs to be free to people so that they can have it for later paid DLC.

Supposedly, the cerberus network access also gives you stuff within the base ME2 itself, mainly small messages dealing with Cerberus itself.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 10:09:33 AM by Turtle » Logged
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #602 on: January 23, 2010, 11:03:17 AM »

Figured this was worth a new post since so many were concerned.  Free DLC confirmed:

Quote from: Michael Gamble, Bioware
Zaeed, Hammerhead and an additional planet will be free.

The only caveat is that Hammerhead will not be released Day1 (but it shouldnt be too long after release).

If i have a chance later, i will address a number of the issues brought up on this forum, and hopefully set the record straight.

For now, I just want to reiterate that we care about our customers. The people (most of you, in fact) who are buying the game new deserve additional content. This Cerberus content is *additional* and it was not cut from the main game and given away. For a game like ME2, Casey and the production staff would never allow that. We have spent thousands of developer hours on this free content and know that it compliments the main ME2 storyline.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #603 on: January 23, 2010, 05:33:23 PM »

Quote from: Barrakketh on January 23, 2010, 04:24:13 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on January 23, 2010, 03:32:22 AM

9.6 from IGn.  I'm not reading it, so be warned there may be spoilers.

The text review is pretty spoiler-free. However, do NOT watch the video review, as it has plenty of spoilery stuff, including most of the scenes from the launch trailer (but shown out of order).

On the same page is a somewhat humorous 5 minute video summary of the first Mass Effect for those who never played the game.

yeah, you should be ok reading it if you are on the fence at all.  nothing that i would consider spoilerish.  in essence, all he says is things relate to ME1 and may be either revelations or plot twists involved.  if you played ME, you can probably think of several aspects of its plot that fit that description.

this is going to be good.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #604 on: January 23, 2010, 06:40:20 PM »

9.6?? I'm disappointed, I was expecting a 10  Tongue

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #605 on: January 23, 2010, 06:56:16 PM »

did GT get a review copy?  do I get to hate someone for getting to play it early?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #606 on: January 23, 2010, 07:11:12 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 23, 2010, 06:56:16 PM

did GT get a review copy?  do I get to hate someone for getting to play it early?

someone on my friends list, who also posts at OO, was already playing last night icon_mad

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #607 on: January 23, 2010, 08:16:01 PM »

Quote from: disarm on January 23, 2010, 07:11:12 PM

someone on my friends list, who also posts at OO, was already playing last night icon_mad

you should out him!  I'll get the torches and pitchforks ready!

Because I can,
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #608 on: January 23, 2010, 08:30:05 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 23, 2010, 08:16:01 PM

Quote from: disarm on January 23, 2010, 07:11:12 PM

did GT get a review copy?  do I get to hate someone for getting to play it early?

you should out him!  I'll get the torches and pitchforks ready!

unfortunately, this lucky bastard isn't someone who posts here...unless he does so under a different name...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #609 on: January 23, 2010, 08:35:21 PM »

Sadly, both the 360 and PC versions have been leaked and showed up what on looks to be Friday.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Barrakketh
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #610 on: January 23, 2010, 08:49:44 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on January 23, 2010, 08:35:21 PM

Sadly, both the 360 and PC versions have been leaked and showed up what on looks to be Friday.

I know when I was in a local EBGames store last thursday to pre-order, the guy said the stock had already arrived and was just waiting for release day. You KNOW staff at various stores are playing it this weekend. And I think one of the guys streaming his play at justintv said he got it at a Walmart that broke street date.

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #611 on: January 23, 2010, 09:50:52 PM »

I doubt a walmart broke a street date. a big warning comes up on the computer, unless it's not timed. which I can't imagine it not being.

Leaked thursday night on the nets.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #612 on: January 23, 2010, 10:52:00 PM »

I won't lie, I didn't want to wait since this week will be busy for me, so I got the leaked version.

Don't worry though, I actually have both the 360 and PC version fully paid up, it just needs to reach me.  I know it doesn't make up for what I've done, but I make no justifications for it.  Nothing entitles me to playing something early, or for free, I just didn't want to wait.

That said, I can answer non-spoiler questions for those who are interested.  Otherwise, it's worth the wait, and it'll be worth the money.  I plan to reinstall with the proper version and get all the DLC on release day.

And yes, it's actually very surprising how much stuff they tracked from ME1 that you find, even in passing, in ME2.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 10:55:36 PM by Turtle » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #613 on: January 23, 2010, 10:54:57 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on January 23, 2010, 10:52:00 PM

I won't lie, I couldn't wait since this week will be busy for me, so I got the leaked version.

Don't worry, I actually have both the 360 and PC version fully paid up, it just needs to reach me.  I know it doesn't make up for what I've done, but I make no justifications for it.

That said, anyone want non-spoiler info while you wait?

PIRATE!!! BURN THE TOSSER!!!

(yes, those are tiki torches.  it's hard to find torches at a moments notice  icon_biggrin)

Because I can,
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #614 on: January 23, 2010, 11:10:45 PM »

What is that, a hungarian dwarven lynch mob??

A new one
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #615 on: January 23, 2010, 11:35:55 PM »

I won't lie, I didn't want to wait since this week will be busy for me, so I got the leaked version.

Don't worry though, I actually have both the 360 and PC version fully paid up, it just needs to reach me.  I know it doesn't make up for what I've done, but I make no justifications for it.  Nothing entitles me to playing something early, or for free, I just didn't want to wait.

That said, I can answer non-spoiler questions for those who are interested.  Otherwise, it's worth the wait, and it'll be worth the money.  I plan to reinstall with the proper version and get all the DLC on release day.

And yes, it's actually very surprising how much stuff they tracked from ME1 that you find, even in passing, in ME2.

I assume this is the leaked PC version?

I would have some questions for you on the 360 version, but not the PC version.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #616 on: January 24, 2010, 12:05:48 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on January 23, 2010, 11:10:45 PM

What is that, a hungarian dwarven lynch mob??

it's Kazakhstanian.

Because I can,
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #617 on: January 24, 2010, 02:47:12 AM »

You can do whatever you want; but you are contributing to the piracy problem by doing this.   thumbsdown

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #618 on: January 24, 2010, 03:06:11 AM »

We have a great 16 page thread going, lets not let it become about something besides Mass Effect 2.  I know it is a touchy subject and I also know that some people find it hard to let go once the subject is brought up but lets try.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #619 on: January 24, 2010, 04:20:21 AM »

Moving on:

The new normandy is way, way more interesting.  Lots more talkative people, not abundant, but it's noticeably better than in ME1.  It only gets better as it fills up with crew.

The same goes for just moving around the world.  Much more interesting stuff, for example, there's PA/radios in most places that broadcast news or location specific info, or just fluff.  More people randomly chatter about stuff, and the sound design is better in these spaces so they feel more lived in.  Don't be surprised to hear a about a lot of familiar things from ME1 over the speakers.

Also, every character has more going on to them.  More dialog, more story, way better.

Some will grow tired of the mineral scanning though.  There are only a few major deposits of minerals on a planet and a lot more smaller deposits, to scan anything, you must send down a probe, but you only have a limited number of probes.  A single normal planet can have many of these smaller deposits, meaning you use up your initial 30 probes. quickly if you're trying to be complete.  Thankfully the scanner gives you some idea how much resources is left, and large deposits are easily found.  I did get an upgrade to

Overall, still better than rolling around in the mako.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #620 on: January 24, 2010, 04:24:45 AM »

can you level up your party members without putting them in a squad and going out of the Normandy this time around?  that was one of my gripes with ME1, you could equip your party members but couldn't level them up on the Normandy.  it also made outfitting them that way a pain as some equipment could only be used when a skill got high enough.

Because I can,
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #621 on: January 24, 2010, 04:54:48 AM »

I'm really looking forward to this next week!!! 
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #622 on: January 24, 2010, 05:01:01 AM »

Havnen't found a way to level up squad members on the normandy, but you get a chance to do so every time you disembark, or even just start a mission.

Oh, and he got the return from the Turian merchant.  slywink
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #623 on: January 24, 2010, 10:56:27 AM »

IGN has the details on disc swapping.  
"Players will start with Disc 1 for the introduction and early level choices, then go through a funnel level of sorts, where they will need to switch to Disc 2," Houston said. "From there they will play the middle portion of the game, which is mostly on Disc 2. Then after another funnel point in the story they'll go back to Disc 1."
You have to change discs twice?  - time to cancel my preorder slywink

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #624 on: January 24, 2010, 11:20:36 AM »

Quote from: EddieA on January 24, 2010, 10:56:27 AM

IGN has the details on disc swapping.  
"Players will start with Disc 1 for the introduction and early level choices, then go through a funnel level of sorts, where they will need to switch to Disc 2," Houston said. "From there they will play the middle portion of the game, which is mostly on Disc 2. Then after another funnel point in the story they'll go back to Disc 1."
You have to change discs twice?  - time to cancel my preorder slywink

What!  we have to use discs?!?!?!?  I'm not sure my 360 has a place to put discs; it sure does have a handy cup holder though!

Because I can,
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #625 on: January 24, 2010, 03:33:36 PM »

I'm curious if any of the unlockables from Mass Effect carry over into the sequel in any way.  For example, if you earned "Singularity Mastery" in the first game, does the ability to start a new character with Singularity as a special bonus skill carry over into ME2?

-Autistic Angel

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #626 on: January 24, 2010, 05:09:24 PM »

i have just unlocked a pretty snazzy red and black suit from 'bring down the sky' DLC in the first game,i hope you can bring that across..but then again those who bought Dragon Age,don't forget we will have that blood dragon armour or whatever it was called(although i don't know the stats)...even if it does make us look like a mix between a Knight and a Cylon

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #627 on: January 24, 2010, 05:37:14 PM »

How do I do an install if there's two discs?
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #628 on: January 24, 2010, 05:43:55 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on January 24, 2010, 05:37:14 PM

You have a fifty-fifty chance of getting it right  slywink

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #629 on: January 24, 2010, 06:06:18 PM »

i will be installing both(12 gig at the most,right?),i had all 3 discs installed for Blue Dragon and Star Ocean,i guess you just wont be able to install one disc at a time like i did with Lost Odyssey

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #630 on: January 24, 2010, 06:06:56 PM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on January 24, 2010, 05:43:55 PM

You have a fifty-fifty chance of getting it right  slywink

Hehe  nod
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #631 on: January 24, 2010, 06:08:07 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on January 24, 2010, 06:06:18 PM

i will be installing both(12 gig at the most,right?),i had all 3 discs installed for Blue Dragon and Star Ocean,i guess you just wont be able to install one disc at a time like i did with Lost Odyssey

During the install does it prompt you and you just put in the next disc, like PC games?  I've just never had a 360 game where there were 2 discs (aside from ODST where it was different components).   My PS3 just does Blu-Ray games......zing!
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #632 on: January 24, 2010, 07:05:59 PM »

To install both discs, all you'll need to do is put in both discs before you start playing and install them like normal. Then put the first disc back in the drive and play.

Note: You'll still have to swap discs when prompted. All you're doing is speeding up load times.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #633 on: January 24, 2010, 07:06:49 PM »

Coolio, thanks.  I bought my Avatar an N7 shirt last night to get prepped for the coming week!  icon_smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #634 on: January 24, 2010, 07:22:05 PM »

1 day and 10ish hours!

Because I can,
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #635 on: January 24, 2010, 08:04:28 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 24, 2010, 07:22:05 PM

1 day and 10ish hours!

3 days and 4 hours here. It feels so pointless having a digital download unlock at different days according to your region. Still, I've got plenty of other things to do to keep me busy while waiting.
Vidiot

View Profile
« Reply #636 on: January 24, 2010, 08:51:02 PM »

One day and.. whenever I get home for work.  I love Amazon release date shipping (free with a prime account).  No need to stop off at EB on my way home, and I support a company I like a lot more.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #637 on: January 24, 2010, 08:57:34 PM »

Quote from: Vidiot on January 24, 2010, 08:51:02 PM

One day and.. whenever I get home for work.  I love Amazon release date shipping (free with a prime account).  No need to stop off at EB on my way home, and I support a company I like a lot more.

+1  It's all Amazon all the time for me now.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #638 on: January 24, 2010, 09:01:04 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on January 24, 2010, 08:57:34 PM

meh, I like my Gamestop so I'm going there for the midnight release.  I also have Tuesday off (had a vacation day I needed to burn).

Because I can,
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #639 on: January 24, 2010, 09:02:42 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 24, 2010, 09:01:04 PM

Quote from: leo8877 on January 24, 2010, 08:57:34 PM

meh, I like my Gamestop so I'm going there for the midnight release.  I also have Tuesday off (had a vacation day I needed to burn).

You're part of the problem!

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 20   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: