http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 10:48:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 20   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mass Effect 2 teaser and stuff! Now coming to the PS3!  (Read 28971 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #400 on: January 11, 2010, 04:49:33 AM »

OMG, this is hilarious!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #401 on: January 11, 2010, 01:18:06 PM »

OXM gave it 9.5

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=231156

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #402 on: January 11, 2010, 03:42:58 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on January 11, 2010, 01:18:06 PM

I don't get it, it says they criticize the story for being disappointing but then they quote:

it's ultimately the way it moves us that make it some memorable,
(typo is theirs)

anyways.. 2 WEEKS!

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: January 11, 2010, 04:06:22 PM »

let the Mass Effect talk commence!

Because I can,
Nonnahob

View Profile
« Reply #404 on: January 11, 2010, 04:35:00 PM »

"We are already at work on Mass Effect 3," he said, adding, "Building the first bits of the story, putting that together."

paranoid Holy crap.

X360 - Nonnahob

A few nights ago I played a while with Hardon and we had a good time. - PhillyPeteRock
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: January 11, 2010, 04:44:23 PM »

Quote from: Nonnahob on January 11, 2010, 04:35:00 PM

"We are already at work on Mass Effect 3," he said, adding, "Building the first bits of the story, putting that together."

paranoid Holy crap.

it's not surprising.  I think I've said it before, but I'm betting that ME2 ends in a cliffhanger.  maybe if this current engine is as great as it sounds like it's going to be we'll see a quicker turnaround on ME3.

Because I can,
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #406 on: January 11, 2010, 05:12:37 PM »

The second part of a trilogy usually ends with only a minor victory for the good guys, while the very real possibility of total defeat looms close on the horizon. It's a common literary technique. smile
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #407 on: January 11, 2010, 06:28:16 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on January 11, 2010, 05:12:37 PM

The second part of a trilogy usually ends with only a minor victory for the good guys, while the very real possibility of total defeat looms close on the horizon. It's a common literary technique. smile

Empire being the prime suspect(Luke unable to masterbate for awhile,Han cold and captured)...or maybe Matrix(i actually can't remember much of Matrix 2 and 3,i think i wiped them from my memory bank as soon as i stepped out of the movie theatre)
In Mass Effect 2 i was fully expecting those death rumours for Shepherd to be from the end of the second game,but that doesn't seem to be the case now

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #408 on: January 11, 2010, 06:43:01 PM »

Actually, it's up to you as to whether your team, some or all, and Shepard survive the end of ME2. slywink
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: January 11, 2010, 08:05:30 PM »

Yep, they've said it's possible for Sheppard to die at the end. Hopefully it's one of those decisions that is made on the spot and not by something done early in the game.

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #410 on: January 12, 2010, 01:34:06 AM »

It's not made just on the spot, but I suspect there will be some choice.

Here's the deal:  Everything you do over the course of the game feeds into the final mission and story.  That includes side missions, major assignments, resource gathering, gaining/losing allies, even upgrades to gear and your ship.

Best buy is having a developer chat right now, I'm watching the feed and will post new info as I get it.  Here's the info I got so far:

Thane and Jacob are both romance options for female Shepards, but it's not limited to that.

Overall, there are a lot more, and more interesting romance options for players than in ME1.

Those scars on Shepard?  They get better or worse depending on your Paragon or Renegade actions.  There is a story reason for this, and it works.  More in depth info in this spoiler:
Spoiler for Hiden:
This can make you look like pristine good looking ME1 Shepard, or like the terminator.  The technology they used to reconstruct you wasn't complete when you were woken up in the attack.  The technology requires you to remain calm and keep your body from being overactive, otherwise the healing won't "take".  Paragon choices tend to be calm and collected allowing the healing to progress normally, Renegades tend to be hot headed choices, leading to your healing flesh decaying.  However, there is a side mission where if you pay money, do some research, and complete it, you can remove all scars regardless.

For you completionists:  It's possible to get all teammates loyal at the same time, but there will be difficulties.  Much like DA:O.

Information about the new combat vehicle in ME2 comes next week.  Info about what day 1 DLC you can get, and what's free to Cerberus Network card holders will be this week.

For those of you who played ME Galaxy (the iphone game) there's some kind of reward that you have to talk to Jacob (Galaxy's main character) to get.

I mentioned this in a previous post, but the devs have reiterated that the side missions will be much more interesting and unique this time around, and as above, will feed into the story, and the final mission.  This is because they changed the way they thought of side missions, instead of repetitive side missions using a lot of reused light content, they've hand crafted each side mission to be fitting for someone who is as important as a spectre.

In regards to Tali romance options, and other past ME1 teammates in general:
"In ME1 Tali was kind of a young character, on her "pilgrimage", so she wasn't a love interest option. One cool thing ME1 players will notice is that the characters they know and love from the first game have grown up and moved on a bit. Tali is more mature now. We were surprised to see how many people were interested in her as a love interest, given that she wore a mask, was an alien, and as one of our team members said, she had "chicken feet". Will she take things further with you? There's a great story there, but I won't spoil it for you!"

"Some of the ME1 characters are back, and recruitable (more than you might think)"

No Earth visit in ME2.  However, they've outright stated that they really want to do it if they can find a good story reason to do so.

There will be worlds with different gravity, which will of course affect in-game physics, especially when throwing around biotic powers.

Even though there's parallels to Dragon Age's loyalty system, the ME2 loyalty system is based more on actions than stats and gifts.  You, of course, do missions to get people loyal to you, and if your actions cause them to leave (and they can leave) the designers also put in ways to get them back.

Despite me saying who is a potential love interest in ME2, there are a lot of surprises in this regard.

You can change the personalities and outlooks of teammates through conversation, loyalty, and more.  Miranda was used as an example.  She's cold hearted, but you can soften her up.  Yeah, that sounded cheesy, but that was the example. Tongue

You can choose to not recruit most characters.  You can even dump them after doing the mission where you recruit them.  Some can even die in the course of a mission.

There is no longer a skill for lockpicking and hacking.  You just play through the mini games.  Yes, this means any class can do hacking and lockpicking, no need to take a teammate you don't like just for those skills.

You will be surprised at the "countless" examples of how small decisions on ME1 carry through into ME2.  Even slightly bigger stuff like how you talk to Garrus.

CaseyH-ME2
There's some confusion about how the game sets your "canon" for the backstory. One report said that you just answer some questions to set what has happened - not true...

CaseyH-ME2
The way it works is that if you import an ME1 character, that sets all the backstory details of what has happened so far. If you start from scratch, there is a set of default events that work better for new players to the ME universe....

CaseyH-ME2
Then, when you get through the intro, you have a conversation where you are asked a few questions - if you are in an imported character, they're just testing your memory and will tell you if your answer is wrong. But if you have a new character, you are able to set some last details through the answers to your questions.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 02:02:25 AM by Turtle » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: January 12, 2010, 01:54:44 AM »

I said it before Turtle, you rock!   thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #412 on: January 12, 2010, 03:57:57 PM »

CaseyH-ME2
There's some confusion about how the game sets your "canon" for the backstory. One report said that you just answer some questions to set what has happened - not true...

damn, was hoping that one would turn out to be true.

There is no longer a skill for lockpicking and hacking.  You just play through the mini games.  Yes, this means any class can do hacking and lockpicking, no need to take a teammate you don't like just for those skills.

woohoo!

In regards to Tali romance options, and other past ME1 teammates in general:
"In ME1 Tali was kind of a young character, on her "pilgrimage", so she wasn't a love interest option. One cool thing ME1 players will notice is that the characters they know and love from the first game have grown up and moved on a bit. Tali is more mature now. We were surprised to see how many people were interested in her as a love interest, given that she wore a mask, was an alien, and as one of our team members said, she had "chicken feet". Will she take things further with you? There's a great story there, but I won't spoil it for you!"

mmmm... chicken feet.... icon_lol

Because I can,
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #413 on: January 12, 2010, 06:41:15 PM »

I was perfectly fine with the chicken feet...that wasn't an obstacle.  It was her age.  But now that she's a Quarian woman, I will be the first on my friends list to unlock the Quarian Pervert achievement.  I won't shy away from the challenge, even if she has talons for toes.  Now if we find out that she's actually a humanoid bug, forget it.  Insects larger than a quarter must all die, it's part of our hardcoded dna programming.           
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #414 on: January 12, 2010, 07:49:44 PM »

wonder if Tali is bi..... If not her conquest might have to wait.

Because I can,
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #415 on: January 12, 2010, 09:55:22 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on January 12, 2010, 06:41:15 PM

I was perfectly fine with the chicken feet...that wasn't an obstacle.  It was her age.  But now that she's a Quarian woman, I will be the first on my friends list to unlock the Quarian Pervert achievement.  I won't shy away from the challenge, even if she has talons for toes.  Now if we find out that she's actually a humanoid bug, forget it.  Insects larger than a quarter must all die, it's part of our hardcoded dna programming.           

not to mention that ever-present threat of having your head bitten off when you're done...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #416 on: January 12, 2010, 10:33:55 PM »

That's why you practice safe sex and wear a helmet.

Because I can,
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #417 on: January 12, 2010, 11:17:37 PM »

ok heres my problem.  I have ME1 on xbox but I lost my saves due to a RROD issue.  Also I am interested in getting the PC version.  I have a newer computer with very nice graphics. So, should I replay ME1 for the saves transfer or is it really not that important or am I better off just getting the PC version of ME2 and going from scratch? Will I miss alot doing that?

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #418 on: January 13, 2010, 12:43:44 AM »

I tried to play the PC version of ME and the controls are just as bad. The load times are awful and mako is still shit. I don't have much hope for ME2 PC. So i'm just sticking with the 360 version. So i guess if you are starting from scratch just go with the version you have now imo.

If you start from scratch the game defaults some options, but that's about it.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #419 on: January 13, 2010, 02:19:45 AM »

Quote from: jersoc on January 13, 2010, 12:43:44 AM

I tried to play the PC version of ME and the controls are just as bad. The load times are awful and mako is still shit. I don't have much hope for ME2 PC. So i'm just sticking with the 360 version. So i guess if you are starting from scratch just go with the version you have now imo.

I think Bioware is handling the PC version directly this time, unlike ME1 PC which was ported over by another company called Demiurge Studios, so the PC version may be better this time around.

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #420 on: January 13, 2010, 04:22:10 AM »

Actual loading screen time for me was much less than on the 360 with my PC.  If you're thinking about the elevators and such in ME1, then those were actually programmed to take a set amount of time, artificially extending the load times on elevators.

This is no longer the case with ME2, where everything uses animated load screens, even elevators which will load as fast as your PC can handle.

The Mako is gone and the devs keep saying it's replacement is better in every way.  But on top of that, planetary exploration is just drastically different and done from a mini-game, so the only time you'll be using this new vehicle is on important, hand crafted missions.

As for replaying ME1, you might actually want to do it, just for a complete experience in ME2 since they keep reiterating that a lot of stuff, bit and small, will be touched on from ME1.  These range from changes to codex entries, in-game messages, meeting old characters, to full blown new missions.  They mention a few cases where small decisions in ME1 have huge impacts.

However, to get it all it's likely you'd have to do a complete play through, which is long and tedious.  On the plus side, if you play on the PC, you can turn on cheats to quickly burn through the game and even get your character to level 60, with no repercussions.

Also, there's a new video up highlighting the Soldier class:
http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/14235013/mass-effect-2/videos/masseffect2_trl_soldier_11210.html

I'm watching it now, supposedly it hints at how both the new weapon upgrade system works, and what Advanced Weapon Training is.

edit: Watched it and picked through the interview and forum posts.

Since general combat gameplay has improved, the soldier class benefits the most from this.  The soldier also carries around all 5 weapon types at the same time, whereas now a class only carries the weapons its proficient with.

Soldiers start with the most health of all the classes, and is the only class to start with Assault Rifle training.

Other classes can learn assault rifles, among other advanced weapon training.  No details on how it's handled,but there are limits, and the developer has hinted at things that the soldier gets in advanced training that make up for assault rifles being usable by other classes.

The Revenent Light Machine Gun is only usable by Soldiers, period.

Soldiers get all 3 ammo type powers.  What's more, if you max out an ammo type power, you can choose to make it a more powerful version of that ammo type, or to apply that ammo type to all teammates regardless of whether they have the ability.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 04:54:29 AM by Turtle » Logged
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #421 on: January 13, 2010, 04:44:44 AM »

How could you be with Tali? You'd have to get completely disinfected and go into a clean room every time you want to be "with" her.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #422 on: January 13, 2010, 04:54:45 AM »

Meet the Soldier:

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/52396/Mass-Effect-2-Soldier-Class-Trailer
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #423 on: January 13, 2010, 05:26:15 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on January 13, 2010, 04:44:44 AM

How could you be with Tali? You'd have to get completely disinfected and go into a clean room every time you want to be "with" her.

are you ashley?
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #424 on: January 14, 2010, 09:26:13 PM »

Reviews are starting to roll out, here's more info from the forums about the final systems from the PC Gamer review.  It's very different from ME1, but it does streamline a lot of the traditional RPG annoyances.  Keep in mind, these reviewers often have to rush through parts.

"you no longer have an inventory. its been replaced by a more abstract system, similar to a pure action game. Instead of loot drops abd containers full of equipable gear, you find technology pickups that can be researched on your ship to unlock new weapons."

"Also gone are equipment mods, replaced by castable abilities.... The miserably clunky inventory system of ME1 is no longer a problem, although the new weapon load-out and research interfaces aren't great either."

"character development(skills) has also been culled down to six or seven upgradeable skills for shepard and just four for companions. Has ME2 been dumbed down? Yeah abit, but these changes don't make it a worse game than its predecessor; it just haas some different priorities this time around,"

"Where Mass Effect 2 completely won me over was in the amazing climacitc mission, easily one of the best game endings i've played in recent years."

Also from digging through other posts, it looks like you can't directly customize teammate armors.  Instead, you research upgrades for them but they retain the looks you see in previews.  Depending on how well you get along with your teammates, and what missions you do for them, you can get different looks for them.  While this does remove the ability to fine tune teammate armors, you have 10 teammates now and you're really only going to use 2-3 of them.  You can still fine tune what weapons they use as well.

*cough*

"Unless you're really rushing through, the majority of time is spent chatting and calling the shots, helping shepard talk his way out of a lot of dangerous situations and into a several pairs of sexy, form-fitting pants. this is where bioware really excel. (the pants? - prod ed.) the writing is sharp, fleshing-out the universe established in the first game by letting us explore the complex web of tense inter-species relations"

" The charm and intimidation skills that unlocked special conversation options in the first game have been melded into the Paragon/Renegade system, which now unlocks options based on how much of a swell guy or jerk you've been. "

" The way Paragon and Renegade points are handed out could have been better, however. Often you're dealing with an issue so ambiguous that either path could be seen as good or bad, and when I'm trying to be a good guy it awards me Renegade points without telling me what it was that I did to earn them. "

" The levels are attractive, but a bit blocky and workman like. Some have inexplicable waist-high barriers that pop out of the ground when combat begins to provide cover. It's so contrived it feels like an in-joke for cover-based shooter players. "

About teammates: "its almost too many, given the way the game all but forces you to swap them in and out, and it comes dangerously close to making them feel disposable. but each has two character specific missions: one to recruit them and one optional personal mission that exposes their backstory and unlocks a special skill and new outfit. their characterisation makes you feel attached to at least some of them."

I like the changes.  Some might say it's been dumbed down, but to be frank, it removes a lot of tedium.  The real role playing in ME2 has always been the interesting decisions you make in the story, and those are back and better than ever.

Oh and they gave it a 90%.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 09:32:58 PM by Turtle » Logged
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #425 on: January 14, 2010, 09:50:20 PM »

Has this even gone gold yet to be reviewed?
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #426 on: January 14, 2010, 10:06:02 PM »

Went gold around the 22nd of December. slywink
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #427 on: January 14, 2010, 10:15:37 PM »

I haven't read through much of the thread, but I wonder if there will be ripple effects in Mass Effect 2 from the way I handled the DLC for the first game.  I finished Bring Down the Sky last night before heading into the final act of the main story, and it seemed like they left the door open for those events to come back around....

-Autistic Angel
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #428 on: January 14, 2010, 10:20:43 PM »

Sadly, the developers have been silent on this matter.

It's likely it will be touched on in some small way, like a news report, message, or codex entry.  On the other hand, ME2 takes place quite a bit in the Terminus systems, home to the Batarians.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #429 on: January 14, 2010, 10:27:14 PM »

Interesting, thanks!

In my first playthrough, I finished every single side mission, including all those random collection missions.  In my second, however, I'm missing *one* damn Salarian insignia thing to polish off the last quest.  It's probably stuffed away in some hidden asteroid I missed, but now I don't want to skip it because it might have a cool reward in the sequel.  I'll Google up a guide later tonight and see if I can figure out what I missed....

-Autistic Angel
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #430 on: January 15, 2010, 06:56:48 AM »

Man, I dont like what I 'm hearing/reading about this... Yeah, it seems a LOT dumped down. ME1 was already pretty low on RPG stuff to do other than conversations - and it seems like we're approaching FPS style game now with dialogue options?

Its hopefully one of those things that you have to play to appriciate, but right now, I'm a bit disappointed to be honest.

A new one
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #431 on: January 15, 2010, 07:05:00 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on January 15, 2010, 06:56:48 AM

Yeah, it seems a LOT dumped down.

Dumbed down, raz. Dumbedicon_biggrin
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #432 on: January 15, 2010, 08:25:36 AM »

Man, I dont like what I 'm hearing/reading about this... Yeah, it seems a LOT dumped down. ME1 was already pretty low on RPG stuff to do other than conversations - and it seems like we're approaching FPS style game now with dialogue options?

Its hopefully one of those things that you have to play to appriciate, but right now, I'm a bit disappointed to be honest.

I was worried about that too, but then I was playing ME1 tonight and looked at the skills.  I have to say I have probably picked the exact same skills every time I've played (which are pretty close to 6-7 skills for my main), and since they're phasing out the weapons, hacking/decrypt and charm/intimidate skills all that is left pretty much boils down to 6-7 skills anyways.  I also have to say I'm kinda glad to hear the inventory is being streamlined; most of what I get gets sold anyways, and going through each character and optimizing their equipment gets kinda tedious.  I am curious as to what they mean when they say the game forces you to swap in and out party members though.

Quote from: Autistic Angel on January 14, 2010, 10:15:37 PM

I haven't read through much of the thread, but I wonder if there will be ripple effects in Mass Effect 2 from the way I handled the DLC for the first game.  I finished Bring Down the Sky last night before heading into the final act of the main story, and it seemed like they left the door open for those events to come back around....

not the way I ended that scenario  icon_twisted

oh, and I have a small request:  I know they are supposed to be revealing the ground vehicles at some point before release; any chance those reveals could be spoiler tagged?  as much as I want to know what they are I'm kinda looking forward to the reveal in game.

Because I can,
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #433 on: January 15, 2010, 02:04:39 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 15, 2010, 08:25:36 AM

I was worried about that too, but then I was playing ME1 tonight and looked at the skills.  I have to say I have probably picked the exact same skills every time I've played (which are pretty close to 6-7 skills for my main), and since they're phasing out the weapons, hacking/decrypt and charm/intimidate skills all that is left pretty much boils down to 6-7 skills anyways.  I also have to say I'm kinda glad to hear the inventory is being streamlined; most of what I get gets sold anyways, and going through each character and optimizing their equipment gets kinda tedious.  I am curious as to what they mean when they say the game forces you to swap in and out party members though.

Pretty much this.  Most of the skills, etc in Mass Effect weren't useful enough in isolation.  I have zero problems with streamlining that stuff. 

Really the only thing I've read that didn't seem appealing was the removal of Charm/Intimidate.  One of the reasons I loved ME was because those stats mattered in a very concrete way that had major repercussions for the character.  But I guess I'm not surprised that they removed them because a lot of people assumed they wouldn't be useful, didn't put points in them, and then got pissed that they couldn't alter certain outcomes. 
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #434 on: January 15, 2010, 02:09:23 PM »

To me that sounds like an improvement.  I've said many times how much I disliked ME1. The main reasons were the clunky combat, terrible inventory system, and generic side missions.  It sounds like all of these things have been improved in ME2.  But I am going to wait for some impressions before I buy this time. 

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #435 on: January 15, 2010, 02:24:13 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on January 15, 2010, 02:04:39 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on January 15, 2010, 08:25:36 AM

Pretty much this.  Most of the skills, etc in Mass Effect weren't useful enough in isolation.  I have zero problems with streamlining that stuff. 

Really the only thing I've read that didn't seem appealing was the removal of Charm/Intimidate.  One of the reasons I loved ME was because those stats mattered in a very concrete way that had major repercussions for the character.  But I guess I'm not surprised that they removed them because a lot of people assumed they wouldn't be useful, didn't put points in them, and then got pissed that they couldn't alter certain outcomes. 

yeah, its too bad but gamers with a brain or older than a 12 year usually gets screwed in deals like this, since mass appeal games have to appeal to lowest common denominator.

As I said, it *may* be better, but I'll reserve judgement for now, since I dont like dumbing (THANKS TILT! :-D ) down of games at all...I like them to hold some appeal to those who enjoy using their brains instead of just motor-reflexes

Generic side missions I didnt like of course, and yes, the inventory was horrible - but I'd MUCH much prefer an inventory like in DA then instead of..well, NO items to be gained. I LIKE my loot!

A new one
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #436 on: January 15, 2010, 02:29:29 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on January 15, 2010, 02:24:13 PM

yeah, its too bad but gamers with a brain or older than a 12 year usually gets screwed in deals like this, since mass appeal games have to appeal to lowest common denominator.

But you didn't really need to use your brain on those aspects in Mass Effect 1.  There really wasn't any interesting tradeoffs on the skill tree (basically just pick the skills your character class uses and keep upping them).   Hell on subsequent playthroughs I just let the computer level up my companions since it doesn't matter anyway.   Same with weapons and armor, especially once you reach the point in the game where money is meaningless.  Removing that stuff doesn't make the game worse (or dumber), it means spending less time futzing in the inventory and more time with the stuff that did really work in Mass Effect lilke character interaction and world exploration. 
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #437 on: January 15, 2010, 02:31:20 PM »

What about what you said about the removal of charm/intimidate? Thats what I refered to specifically there. I just like stats...and that things were the same way as always as well ;-)

A new one
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #438 on: January 15, 2010, 02:38:13 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on January 15, 2010, 02:31:20 PM

What about what you said about the removal of charm/intimidate? Thats what I refered to specifically there. I just like stats...and that things were the same way as always as well ;-)

Oh, yeah, but I don't think that was an indictment of gamer intelligence or anything because I saw some of the loudest complaints over their implementation from very, very hardcore gamers.  It's more of an issue with the genre as a whole- RPG gamers are conditioned that while those skills are nice and maybe will allow them to avoid a combat encounter or maybe grab some extra XP, they aren't essential and won't have serious repercussions on the game so they can be safely avoided.  So when ME1 does use them in a signicant manner it was jarring because gamers hadn't planned on it.

I think it highlights a broader issue with RPGs.  Players will say they want interesting decisions with serious repercussions but the instant a game does that and it effects the player's ability to use a specific character, get certain equipment, go down certain quest paths, etc then they cry fowl.  Really what RPG players want is the illusion that they can make serious decisions while the game still allows them access to 100% of the content.  
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #439 on: January 15, 2010, 03:11:35 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on January 15, 2010, 02:38:13 PM

Oh, yeah, but I don't think that was an indictment of gamer intelligence or anything because I saw some of the loudest complaints over their implementation from very, very hardcore gamers.  It's more of an issue with the genre as a whole- RPG gamers are conditioned that while those skills are nice and maybe will allow them to avoid a combat encounter or maybe grab some extra XP, they aren't essential and won't have serious repercussions on the game so they can be safely avoided.  So when ME1 does use them in a signicant manner it was jarring because gamers hadn't planned on it.

I think it highlights a broader issue with RPGs.  Players will say they want interesting decisions with serious repercussions but the instant a game does that and it effects the player's ability to use a specific character, get certain equipment, go down certain quest paths, etc then they cry fowl.  Really what RPG players want is the illusion that they can make serious decisions while the game still allows them access to 100% of the content.  

This is an interesting (and spot on) observation about RPG's.  Well said Kevin. smile

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 20   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: