http://gamingtrend.com
November 23, 2014, 05:16:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mass effect 2 Launch and impressions (the REAL One)  (Read 41021 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: March 18, 2011, 03:39:28 PM »

29th confirmed.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1121 on: March 18, 2011, 03:52:38 PM »

I love the way Bioware has handled DLC for this game. It's almost like episodic content, and it keeps me coming back for "just one more adventure" with Shepard, keeping things reasonably fresh in my mind for when ME3 is released. Most of it feels important too. It's not like we're just playing through the content that wasn't good enough for the main game. We're doing important stuff here that may have repercussions leading into the sequel.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1122 on: March 18, 2011, 04:01:00 PM »

Yeah, and considering that the base game itself is packed with so much content already, I find myself very willing to stomach paying 7-10 for a single mission, especially when they're all on average better than the ones on the disc.

The quality has been so good that I actually went and bought the firepower pack just for new weapons to have fun with in these new missions.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: March 18, 2011, 04:31:16 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 18, 2011, 03:39:28 PM

Admiral Hackett is back(Lance Henrikson)...should be cool stuff,oh and i am liking the new 560 point DLC like the Fable DLC...800 always seems a bit of a stretch(even though its not really that much more)

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: March 24, 2011, 08:02:14 PM »

preview of Arrival.  they should change it to The Arrival and get Charlie Sheen on board.

Because I can,
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #1125 on: March 25, 2011, 07:36:59 PM »

Here's a gameplay video for Arrival.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: March 29, 2011, 09:54:28 PM »

Unfortunately, Arrival is not getting many favorable impressions.  Most of the comments I've seen and this review call it the worst of the DLC missions frown

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
lex
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: March 29, 2011, 11:10:43 PM »

It's not as fun as LotSB, but I thought it's about the same as Overlord, but a lot shorter (took me about 1 hr on Normal, I'm replaying it again on my Hard level Adept and it's taking me a little bit longer.)

I'll agree with the Joystiq review in that you're getting the DLC mainly for the story, but I enjoyed the overall mission.  Some of the fights were fun because you're on your own and you have to figure out how to deal with that and there are some variety. 

I get the feeling that they made this a solo mission because Bioware/EA didn't want to pay the voice actors again.

However, it is a pretty straightforward go from A to B to C mission with very little choice in between.

I do wish that (the very end of the DLC)
Spoiler for Hiden:
That I could decide to destroy the relay or not

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1128 on: March 30, 2011, 02:22:15 AM »

That actually mirrors my own thoughts. About as good as Overlord, but much shorter. It's not some nice action and moments, and helps progress the ME main overarching plot.

I could have used more explanation and such of certain aspects, but that's what ME3 is for.

To be honest though, even if they wanted to save money on voice actors, they could have just done what they did in Shadow Broker and Overlord for the most part, just have your teammates silent through the whole thing. It's a little odd, but it works and they've done it before. Sure, in those DLCs the teammates did say one or two small lines, but overall were silent. While I'm sure voice acting was a factor, there's other things like extra animations and more. Heck, they even reused several of Shepard's lines.

I think it was more that they're full bore into ME3's development, and wanted to put this out for minimal cost.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 02:50:30 PM by Turtle » Logged
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: March 30, 2011, 04:21:35 AM »

I really enjoyed it.  Not as good as LotSB but I liked it more than Overlord.  I like that it was only Shepherd- that changed my tactics up a lot and made it more difficult than I would have expected. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: May 17, 2011, 06:33:27 PM »

the motion comic done for the PS3 is now on XBL.

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: May 17, 2011, 06:43:09 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 17, 2011, 06:33:27 PM

the motion comic done for the PS3 is now on XBL.

yeah 320 points for what i heard 15 minutes,glad i have the first game

i am wondering if this is the last piece of DLC now,then in a month or two Bioware will announce Mass Effect 2 GOTY package

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: June 29, 2011, 09:13:57 AM »

Just started the second game. My only impressions so far is how pleased I am at how much better it looks than the original Mass Effect and yet runs like butter on my system-which chugged with the original!
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: August 08, 2011, 08:35:45 PM »

I am replaying this game again and i was looking about on its wiki page(the big database one,not the one page thing),and it said that the orb you find on Eletania in Mass Effect 1 that described you waking up millions of years ago as a Neanderthal and shaking your fists at the flying saucer etc etc,the details are supposed to be some of those that were transferred to Mass Effect 2 but not used,they say that it may have an effect then when you transfer your ME1,and 2 character over to ME3

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Eletania
Finding and unlocking the ruin is flagged as an event when imported into a Mass Effect 2 character, though it is currently not known whether there is any effect in the game. It is possible the import was meant to carry over to Mass Effect 3 through Mass Effect 2.

so that got me wondering i wonder what else we will see in ME3 over decisions in ME1

Rachni Queen release at Noveria?

or maybe there will be more with Helena Blake or other side quests

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: August 09, 2011, 12:31:11 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on August 08, 2011, 08:35:45 PM

Rachni Queen release at Noveria?

I always figured the results of this wouldn't show up until ME3.  I do make sure I find the said orb in every replay of ME1 though, so it will be nice to see some kind of payoff.

Because I can,
Blackhawk
Gaming Trend Reader

?

View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: January 02, 2012, 06:28:14 PM »

I picked up Mass Effect 2 with a gift card I got this Christmas.  I can't afford all the DLC (which would run about $50 - on a game that cost me $20), so I could use some help narrowing down what to get and what to skip.  Reviews on the DLC are all over the place.

I don't feel much need for the appearance packs or weapon packs.  I'm buying new, so I don't need the Cerberus Network, and I played ME1, so I'll skip the motion comic dealy.

That leaves the actual content packs.

Arrival
Lair of the Shadow Broker
Overlord
Kasumi - Stolen Memory

All of that would still be $30 worth of points, which is more than I can spend right now.  I need to skip one of these.  If I assume that Shadow Broker is a given.  Which of the others should I pass on?
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: January 02, 2012, 06:48:24 PM »

I actually played through the entire game without any DLC and completely enjoyed the ride.  As I can't personally vouch for the level of quality of the various DLC offerings, as you only paid $20 for the game I don't see spending more than that on supplementary content to be worthwhile.  There's more than enough in the game to justify and far exceed the value of the $20 entrance fee, but I don't see doubling that cost to be worth it for minor DLC additions.  The missions may be neat, but not more-than-the-price-of-the-game neat.  I certainly don't feel as if I missed out on anything exemplary, especially since I also only paid $20 for my own copy.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: January 02, 2012, 07:00:29 PM »

Look online for the DLC reviews. Most only really provide 2-3 hours of gameplay, so up to you if it's worth it.

As for me, I just finished ME 1 with my new renegade female. So plan is to do ME2 with her before release and I'll have a male Paragon and my female Renegade ready. The male saved all the races... the female is going to kill them all  drool
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: January 02, 2012, 08:45:13 PM »

Most people say that Lair of The Shadow Broker is the best, and while it is very good, I thought Overlord was the best of the lot, and on par with the best of the main game's missions.  However, it's a stand-alone story, whereas Shadow Broker has a bearing on ME3 with Liara's return to team member status.  Since it will take awhile to play through ME2 anyway, you might want to wait until closer to the release of ME3 and see if the DLC gets put on sale.

Blackhawk
Gaming Trend Reader

?

View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: January 02, 2012, 09:33:48 PM »

Quote from: Azhag on January 02, 2012, 07:00:29 PM

Look online for the DLC reviews. Most only really provide 2-3 hours of gameplay, so up to you if it's worth it.

I did that, and other than Shadow Broker, got reviews that were all over the place.  One says to avoid Arrival like the plague, the next says it is the best of the lot.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1140 on: January 02, 2012, 09:38:28 PM »

Quote from: Blackhawk on January 02, 2012, 09:33:48 PM

Quote from: Azhag on January 02, 2012, 07:00:29 PM

I did that, and other than Shadow Broker, got reviews that were all over the place.  One says to avoid Arrival like the plague, the next says it is the best of the lot.

I think that as long as you mix them in with the rest of the missions as a first-time player, they'll all be good. It's when they're more or less stand-alone (for those of us who played them after finishing everything else) that the weaknesses come to the forefront.

In any case, play Shadow Broker if nothing else. It's good, and it can have a large impact on the ME2-campaign.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1141 on: January 03, 2012, 05:03:27 AM »

Arrival really isn't worth it. It's an interesting mission but too short and doesn't really add any new elements to the fiction beyond how far Shepard will go to fight the Reapers, and in that there's no player choice. I'm a big Mass Effect fan, but I thought it was only Mediocre.

Shadow Broker is by far the best, and ties back into ME1. If you get anything, get this as it's a major story point for the series, and you get a better glimpse of how much time has passed for your original party. Incredible set pieces, adds more interesting elements to the overall setting, and some very useful perks once you complete it.

Kasumi is a great character to have, has an interesting, fun, and unique--but also short--mission. But they also has a unique ability, and her mission also gives you one of the best SMGs in the game. Her little bits of dialog between missions are fun as well, but she doesn't have a full conversation and arc.

Overlord is mostly its own story that basically hearkens back to ME1's missions where you're going through another stupidly dangerous Cerberus experiment that goes wrong. But, it does have great production values and set pieces. It's of a decent length. But you get nothing out of it besides the story, which doesn't tie into anything else.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 05:06:03 AM by Turtle » Logged
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: January 03, 2012, 11:25:26 AM »

If you have the 360 version, the Arrival DLC is on sale starting Tuesday for 280 points.

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: January 05, 2012, 05:03:47 PM »

Quote from: Blackhawk on January 02, 2012, 06:28:14 PM

I picked up Mass Effect 2 with a gift card I got this Christmas.  I can't afford all the DLC (which would run about $50 - on a game that cost me $20), so I could use some help narrowing down what to get and what to skip.  Reviews on the DLC are all over the place.

I don't feel much need for the appearance packs or weapon packs.  I'm buying new, so I don't need the Cerberus Network, and I played ME1, so I'll skip the motion comic dealy.

That leaves the actual content packs.

Arrival
Lair of the Shadow Broker
Overlord
Kasumi - Stolen Memory

All of that would still be $30 worth of points, which is more than I can spend right now.  I need to skip one of these.  If I assume that Shadow Broker is a given.  Which of the others should I pass on?

I played Shadow Broker and Kasumi. If I had to choose between the two, I'd definitely get Shadow Broker.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: March 05, 2012, 02:48:52 PM »

what a bastard!!,I just finished the main quest,but because i didn't go through the Omega 4 relay quick enough(i messed about with that fake ID side mission on the Citadel),i lost Kelly,Gabby and the damn Cook,I saved my game while on the Collectors base and my save before that was a few hours,so didn't bother reloading...still pissed though,i thought i had done all i could to let everyone survive,i didn't know i was on a time limit so to speak

just have Shadow Broker and Arrival to do now..i have until Friday icon_biggrin

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: March 05, 2012, 02:52:32 PM »

Yeah, once you go do the mission where you meet
Spoiler for Hiden:
Legion
you are on a timer. Kind of annoying. I got kind of lucky when I did it and happened to have done enough stuff to save everyone.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: March 05, 2012, 10:45:35 PM »

Spoiler for Hiden:
actually its a bit crazy that you can walk about on the Citadel and other worlds with him...no one says anything,there are even points of interest where you can get his opinion
funnily enough as said i was doing the Fake ID side mission and the Asari were complaining that the C-Sec officer were preventing them from travelling incase of being Geth Insurgents,and there's me with one as my companion

I have just done Arrival(the 5 waves of soldiers achievement was easier than i thought it was going to be),and at the end of that i get a mission report from the Illusive Man...who i am pretty sure is not on speaking terms with me anymore after the end of the main story,LOL

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: March 06, 2012, 04:39:01 PM »

Ha,at the end of the Shadow Broker DLC you can access the private files of your crew and it makes for some interesting reading(took another 30 minutes to read it all,LOL)

I think Legions is the funniest
he even has a Gamer Profile
http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Shadow_Broker_Dossiers/Legion

N7 Code of Honor: Medal of Duty:

Player Score: 15,999,999,999 (max)

Most Preferred Class: Sniper

Least Preferred Class: Melee

Sniper Rifle Kills: 200,917 since last server reset

Shotgun Kills: 3

his 'Galaxy of Fantasy'(Mass Effect universe in game MMO) profile is pretty funny as well

here are all the profiles if you don't have the DLC or played it and can't remember it all
http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Shadow_Broker_Dossiers

There is another terminal you can use to watch security footage of the various worlds,they only last a few seconds each and have no sound

one shows Anderson talking to a Cerberus guy in the Citadel which i am not sure what that means(and i am pretty sure it isn't me)

another,which had me laughing for quite awhile saw a Krogen being interviewed by that Obnoxious news reporter(not Emily Wong),before the Krogen punches her and she goes flying
I wish i had a gif for that icon_lol

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: