http://gamingtrend.com
September 30, 2014, 10:18:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mass effect 2 Launch and impressions (the REAL One)  (Read 40499 times)
Teggy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1080 on: September 07, 2010, 04:46:55 PM »

20+ completions of the game?

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: September 07, 2010, 05:01:27 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on September 07, 2010, 04:46:55 PM

20+ completions of the game?

Open the blast doors!  Open the blast doors!
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: September 07, 2010, 08:49:50 PM »

I'm starting my second play-through, I didn't get a chance to boink anyone on my first so spill it (in spoilers). Who is wearing candy pants in ME2?

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: September 16, 2010, 01:21:01 PM »

Anybody give the latest DLC, Lair of the Shadow Broker, a go? I thought it was pretty well done, as was the previous Overlord episode. In it, you assist Liara in tracking and confronting the Shadow Broker. There's a cool, albeit super short, sky chase section which brought back memories of The Fifth Element, but other than that it's a lot of shooting action through and through. The design of the Shadow Broker ship level was really cool, even though the final battle was anti-climactic and much much easier than a previous boss battle in the episode.

All in all, it took me about 2.5 hours to complete, and in the end it's nice to see Liara in a position to play a much larger role, hopefully, into ME3's narrative.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 08:01:33 PM by spigot » Logged

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: September 16, 2010, 02:18:56 PM »

Having read the comic book miniseries about Liara I'm definitely interested in the new DLC, I'm just busy with so much other stuff I haven't had a chance to grab it yet.  heck, other than the free DLC I haven't gotten around to any of the premium ME2 DLC yet.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1085 on: September 16, 2010, 07:50:01 PM »

A very good DLC, worth the money to me and it also makes me very interested to see what they do in ME3. Just the jump from ME2's disc missions to the latest DLC missions shows considerable improvement in how they make them, which bodes well for ME3.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1086 on: November 04, 2010, 05:08:38 PM »

Okay, two playthroughs down, the last one with all the DLC.    I lack three achievements (complete game on insanity, complete Shadow Broker on hard or insanity, Invite Liara back to the ship.)  I developed some thoughts on the game.

Mass Effect was a huge cinematic movie, an adventure about stopping Saren and learning more about the Protheans. It had its ups and downs, its plot twists and finishing it felt like a big finale in a movie.   ME2 felt more like it was an hour long weekly television show.  It played at a different pace and had different breaks in the pacing.  This had some advantages by making the game a little easier to play on a busy schedule, and made the DLC easier to integrate, but in some respects it lost some of the epic feel.  The fact that I'm willing to play three times through the games to try and complete achievements says something for it. I wasn't willing to play a fourth time to get the partner achievements in ME1.

So, which would be the best to play through on insanity, my soldier or my sentinel? And do people have armor combination recommendations?

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: November 04, 2010, 05:16:14 PM »

Mass Effect was a huge cinematic movie, an adventure about stopping Saren and learning more about the Protheans. It had its ups and downs, its plot twists and finishing it felt like a big finale in a movie.   ME2 felt more like it was an hour long weekly television show.  It played at a different pace and had different breaks in the pacing.  This had some advantages by making the game a little easier to play on a busy schedule, and made the DLC easier to integrate, but in some respects it lost some of the epic feel.  The fact that I'm willing to play three times through the games to try and complete achievements says something for it. I wasn't willing to play a fourth time to get the partner achievements in ME1.

That's a good way to put it.  I miss the epic feel of ME1; heck I played through it at least 4 times (2 of those back to back with me finishing as a renegade and immediately starting the next game as a paragon) whereas ME2 has gotten one playthrough and is sitting on my HD like a neglected stepchild.  I figure once they come out with the Ultimate Edition I'll give it another playthrough.

Because I can,
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: November 04, 2010, 05:26:32 PM »

I liked the Mission Impossible, Dirty Dozen feel to the finale of ME2, that was fun.  ME1 did have a more cinematic feel for me too, but it was a mixed bag of ups and downs in pacing and fun.  Some parts of ME1 were boring, some were awesome.  I liked ME2's contained stories that could be completed in one sit down.  Now if they could do the same in ME3, while also creating a stronger cinematic feel throughout, that would be perfection for me.

Btw, if anyone has ME2 just sitting around unplayed, the Shadow Broker DLC is awesome, and well worth cleaning off the dust.  For around $10 it's a steal.   
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1089 on: November 04, 2010, 05:52:26 PM »

Only play insanity with the Soldier class. The higher the difficulty, the more armor and shields enemies get, meaning those special abilities the other classes get don't work most of the time and do trivial damage.

The soldier, meanwhile, has ammo types to deal with any threat, and can use the time dilation ability to give himself time to attach enemies since your shields tend to get show down very, very quickly.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: November 06, 2010, 07:49:08 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on November 04, 2010, 05:52:26 PM

Only play insanity with the Soldier class. The higher the difficulty, the more armor and shields enemies get, meaning those special abilities the other classes get don't work most of the time and do trivial damage.

The soldier, meanwhile, has ammo types to deal with any threat, and can use the time dilation ability to give himself time to attach enemies since your shields tend to get show down very, very quickly.

of course you could want a challenge, then the Engineer or Infiltrator might be a fun choice.

Because I can,
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: November 06, 2010, 08:33:14 AM »

Is the Shadow Broker DLC meant to be played after you've finished the game?  I've heard that it bridges the gap between ME2 and ME3, but I wasn't sure what that meant.  I'm not finished with ME2 yet, so no spoilers please smile

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: November 06, 2010, 08:36:53 AM »

Quote from: EddieA on November 06, 2010, 08:33:14 AM

Is the Shadow Broker DLC meant to be played after you've finished the game?  I've heard that it bridges the gap between ME2 and ME3, but I wasn't sure what that meant.  I'm not finished with ME2 yet, so no spoilers please smile

I've think it more bridges the gap between ME1 and ME2 since it is supposed to involve what Liara did during your time 'away'.  I haven't played it yet though (I did read the comic book miniseries involving her and the Shadow Broker though, which is the basis for my guess), so I could be totally wrong.

Because I can,
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1093 on: November 06, 2010, 10:35:17 AM »

Quote from: EddieA on November 06, 2010, 08:33:14 AM

You can play it any time you want. It has nothing to do with the main plot, but it can offer you certain... advantages throughout the game if you do it early.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: February 21, 2011, 07:21:30 PM »

Final DLC revealed via a patch?

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/103/index/6128586/1

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1095 on: February 21, 2011, 09:22:08 PM »

Yeah, lots of interesting stuff there.

Here's where I think it'll head knowing what we know:
Spoiler for Hiden:
They'll actually have the Reapers showing up on Earth in the DLC. The mass relay to earth is loacked down by the reapers, isolating Earth from the rest of the galaxy while the reapers, only a handful of them, assault the earth to try and turn people into more reapers to bolster their numbers for a full out assault on the citadel. They'll get here using some kind of trick involving that star that was collapsing from the dark energy inside it that the Quarians were looking into. From there they'll hop relays until they reach Earth.

Shepard, on the SR2, still has the Reaper IFF onboard, allowing him to pass through the mass relay to Earth, he goes back to rescue key personnel and gets caught up in the fighting. Eventually, he'll complete his goals but then has to flee from the Reapers and get help from the rest of the galaxy and bring them through the mass relay at Arcturus. Leads to a sort of Empire Strikes Back moment where Shepard has to leave friends behind, probably getting isolated from his original crew (people from ME1 and ME2). This leads into ME3, where Shepard, alone with just the flight crew of the SR2 travels to call in all those favors he's got coming from ME1-2.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 09:25:10 PM by Turtle » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: February 21, 2011, 10:09:08 PM »

Haven't delved into that thread I linked to at all, but I'm wondering what if:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Shepard isn't in the DLC at all?  The did 2 Dragon Age DLC without your main character, and instead it could be like ME Galaxy where the focus on a new character from ME3. it'll probably be earth based, and deal with a character that either escapes to find Shepard at the beginning of ME3 or needs to be found.

Because I can,
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: March 16, 2011, 03:48:35 PM »

Despite being fairly hooked on MLB2K11 and while I am really enjoying AC:Brotherhood, I decided to finally take the shrink wrap off of Mass Effect 2, I read through the manual, and I loaded it up.  I had intended to play for about an hour or so.

I had forgotten about Martin Sheen's voicework in the game, so right from the start I had a frozen  icon_eek expression on my face.  And it remained that way throughout the initial sequence, getting my first assignment, and running into an old friend. 

When I finally turned off the Xbox for the night I had put in two more hours than I had intended and only one succinct impression kept repeating in my head.

Holy.  Shit. 

This game is unbelievable.  And to think it has taken me this long to start it up.   icon_redface

The graphics are amazing, the voicework is fantastic, the gameplay is more immersive, I feel as if I have much more control over firing and hitting enemies, and the story so far has been  icon_eek.

Loving, loving, loving it so far.   icon_biggrin

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: March 16, 2011, 03:54:30 PM »

Enjoy the best ride I've ever had on the Xbox! Simply an awesome game!

A new one
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: March 16, 2011, 03:56:07 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on March 16, 2011, 03:54:30 PM

I had thought that of the first Mass Effect.  If ME2 is even better, then it'll be tough for anything to ever top it. 

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: March 16, 2011, 04:13:32 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on March 16, 2011, 03:56:07 PM

I had thought that of the first Mass Effect.  If ME2 is even better, then it'll be tough for anything to ever top it. 

ME2 is leaps and bounds better than ME1.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: March 16, 2011, 04:37:13 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on March 16, 2011, 04:13:32 PM

I think I peed a little.  Fabulous

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: March 16, 2011, 04:43:36 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on March 16, 2011, 04:37:13 PM

Quote from: rickfc on March 16, 2011, 04:13:32 PM

I think I peed a little.  Fabulous

I just finished playing through a 3rd time a few weeks ago, and I enjoyed myself as much, if not more, than the first time.

Also, make sure you pick up at least the Shadow Broker and Stolen Memories DLC. Especially the Shadow Broker. Best DLC. Ever.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 04:49:20 PM by rickfc » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: March 16, 2011, 05:06:00 PM »

Just wait until you get to the resource gathering portion!  The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you.

Because I can,
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: March 16, 2011, 05:09:07 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 16, 2011, 05:06:00 PM

Just wait until you get to the resource gathering portion!  The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you.

Yeah, that's about the only  thumbsdown for the game.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: March 16, 2011, 07:33:10 PM »

Arrival DLC screens

CVG

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: March 16, 2011, 07:59:50 PM »

I can't believe they still haven't announced a "Game of the Year" (or whatever) Edition yet.  That kind of announcement would get me to slog through the rest of the first one so I can play ME2.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: March 16, 2011, 08:01:04 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on March 16, 2011, 07:59:50 PM

I can't believe they still haven't announced a "Game of the Year" (or whatever) Edition yet.  That kind of announcement would get me to slog through the rest of the first one so I can play ME2.

I imagine that will come after Arrival is released.

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: March 16, 2011, 08:03:58 PM »

yeah i am hoping for an GOTY edition as well,maybe it will be out a month or so before ME3..i know there are plans for a GOTY edition of Red Dead Redemption and to me those two games were the GOTY,so Mass Effect 2 one had better come

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: March 16, 2011, 09:16:49 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on March 16, 2011, 08:03:58 PM

yeah i am hoping for an GOTY edition as well,maybe it will be out a month or so before ME3

Same here.  I want to play it on PC, but am not in a huge hurry to do so.  I can wait a while for the uber-pack.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #1110 on: March 16, 2011, 09:47:43 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on March 16, 2011, 04:43:36 PM

Especially the Shadow Broker. Best DLC. Ever.

I don't get this.  I thought it was OK, but best ever?  Why?
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: March 16, 2011, 10:05:25 PM »

Quote from: Greggy_D on March 16, 2011, 09:47:43 PM

IMO, it covered everything the game had to offer better than any of the other missions in the game, DLC or otherwise. Plus, it wrapped up a relationship from ME1 pretty nicely.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1112 on: March 16, 2011, 10:29:26 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on March 16, 2011, 10:05:25 PM

IMO, it covered everything the game had to offer better than any of the other missions in the game, DLC or otherwise. Plus, it wrapped up a relationship from ME1 pretty nicely.

And a major storyline from both the games as well.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: March 16, 2011, 10:55:27 PM »

Perhaps I should have waited a bit longer to play ME2.  Not because of no GOTY version, but I just recently picked up MLB2K11 and also started AC:Brotherhood.  And yet all I've thought about all day is ME2 (well, that and a much-needed cold beer after detailing the car, hitting the gym, and helping a friend move).  I'm hoping tonight after I finish cleaning up around the house in preparation for the arrival of my mother-in-law and brother-in-law tomorrow morning for my wife's upcoming birthday extravaganza this weekend I'll have time to get back to ME2.  I've got to get as far as I can in the next few days before the semester starts back up again on Monday.   disgust 

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: March 17, 2011, 12:55:46 AM »

I thought Shadow Broker was good, but Overlord was quite a bit better.  Other than the beginning and ending of the main game, Overlord was my favorite part.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1115 on: March 17, 2011, 05:41:06 AM »

I think Shadow Broker was a lot of payoff of things from ME1, as well as you got to spend some real quality time with an old teammate, in a more intense way than even the others who end up in your roster. Along with some great set pieces and new locales.

Overlord, I have to admit, can be pretty striking too, though. It probably has the best use of the Hammerhead out of the little you get to use it, and it goes back to classic style of raiding Cerberus bases.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: March 17, 2011, 09:51:11 PM »

another image shows up,notice the countdown and the one on the other screenshot,so my guess is we will get new screens until the countdown expires and then maybe all the info we need on the DLC(price,date etc)

i haven't played any of the DLC for Mass Effect 2 so i could be wrong,but is that the Ships Doc with Shepherd?

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: March 17, 2011, 09:54:51 PM »

Looks like it. Maybe that means Shepard and the good doctor get it on...

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: March 17, 2011, 11:09:00 PM »

according to leak that EG have the date for the DLC is 29th March

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-03-17-mass-effect-2-arrival-dlc-date-outed

Mass Effect 2's Arrival DLC releases on 29th March, if a new leak is to be believed.

Play.tm claims it was handed the release date by "retail sources".

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: March 17, 2011, 11:47:01 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on March 17, 2011, 11:09:00 PM

according to leak that EG have the date for the DLC is 29th March

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-03-17-mass-effect-2-arrival-dlc-date-outed

Mass Effect 2's Arrival DLC releases on 29th March, if a new leak is to be believed.

Play.tm claims it was handed the release date by "retail sources".

well the Cerberus News Network is supposed to start updating again a week before the next DLC, and then be dark until 2 weeks before ME3, so we should know on the 22nd (if they haven't said anything official that is).

Because I can,
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: