http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 03:41:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 29   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mass effect 2 Launch and impressions (the REAL One)  (Read 39728 times)
TiLT
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #440 on: February 03, 2010, 08:09:22 PM »

Quote from: cheeba on February 03, 2010, 08:05:44 PM

Quote from: TiLT on February 03, 2010, 08:00:47 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
I see from other people's comments that they tended to choose people like Grunt or Garrus for leading the squads. Keep in mind that you aren't looking for the toughest and meanest of your people. You're looking for someone who can lead. Grunt is obviously not a leadership candidate, at least not for non-Krogans. You can't expect him to keep your squad alive. Garrus is a good soldier, but too used to working alone. He can't be relied on to keep control over a squad under pressure.
Spoiler for Hiden:
I had Garrus leading on the 2nd mission I think it was. He did just fine. He's had leadership experience, considering he was the head of that task force on Omega. Plus he's like Shepard's brother from a Turian mother smile.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Okay, consider me surprised. My point was that I wouldn't have taken the chance on giving him command on such an important mission. You obviously did and it worked out well. You never know until you've tried, but I didn't want to gamble away the lives of characters who I want to see again in ME3. smile
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #441 on: February 03, 2010, 08:19:17 PM »

re: end game choices:

Quote from: TiLT on February 03, 2010, 08:09:22 PM

Quote from: cheeba on February 03, 2010, 08:05:44 PM

Quote from: TiLT on February 03, 2010, 08:00:47 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
I see from other people's comments that they tended to choose people like Grunt or Garrus for leading the squads. Keep in mind that you aren't looking for the toughest and meanest of your people. You're looking for someone who can lead. Grunt is obviously not a leadership candidate, at least not for non-Krogans. You can't expect him to keep your squad alive. Garrus is a good soldier, but too used to working alone. He can't be relied on to keep control over a squad under pressure.
Spoiler for Hiden:
I had Garrus leading on the 2nd mission I think it was. He did just fine. He's had leadership experience, considering he was the head of that task force on Omega. Plus he's like Shepard's brother from a Turian mother smile.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Okay, consider me surprised. My point was that I wouldn't have taken the chance on giving him command on such an important mission. You obviously did and it worked out well. You never know until you've tried, but I didn't want to gamble away the lives of characters who I want to see again in ME3. smile

Spoiler for Hiden:
Read the descriptions given when you are choosing the leaders. Garrus is a pretty natural choice. I'd think Jacob the risky choice myself. What has he led?

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #442 on: February 03, 2010, 08:21:15 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on February 03, 2010, 08:19:17 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
Read the descriptions given when you are choosing the leaders. Garrus is a pretty natural choice. I'd think Jacob the risky choice myself. What has he led?

Spoiler for Hiden:
He's been trained for years as an elite soldier with Cerberus, and has lots of experience to boot. Any professional soldier at that level will fit naturally into the role of leading a squad, though maybe not anything larger than that. He was slightly riskier than using Miranda, but I felt he was a safe bet anyway.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #443 on: February 03, 2010, 08:21:56 PM »

Get a room!  icon_evil

A new one
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #444 on: February 03, 2010, 08:26:37 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on February 03, 2010, 08:21:56 PM

Get a room!  icon_evil

Do we need a spoiler thread for post-game discussion?

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #445 on: February 03, 2010, 09:11:54 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on February 03, 2010, 08:26:37 PM

Quote from: Razgon on February 03, 2010, 08:21:56 PM

Get a room!  icon_evil

Do we need a spoiler thread for post-game discussion?

Sorry, was a poorly worded joke - Guess I shoudl work on my smileys :-) So no, not on my account. Just thought it funny with half a page of pure hidden text

A new one
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #446 on: February 03, 2010, 09:33:51 PM »

I got the joke, though the question was serious. All the spoiler tags do get annoying.

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #447 on: February 03, 2010, 09:40:09 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on February 03, 2010, 09:33:51 PM

I got the joke, though the question was serious. All the spoiler tags do get annoying.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I agree.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Nonnahob

View Profile
« Reply #448 on: February 03, 2010, 09:41:30 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on February 03, 2010, 09:40:09 PM

Quote from: coopasonic on February 03, 2010, 09:33:51 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
I agree.

Lol. Jackass.

X360 - Nonnahob

A few nights ago I played a while with Hardon and we had a good time. - PhillyPeteRock
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #449 on: February 03, 2010, 11:33:07 PM »

Had a conversation with Mordin on ship and he broke out into Gilbert and Sullivan's H.M.S. Pinafore (ala like Data from Star Trek). It was hilarious.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #450 on: February 03, 2010, 11:55:30 PM »

On choosing leaders:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Garrus, if you talked to him about what he's been doing, led a crack team of 12 in missions all across omega, and he took no losses until it was betrayal that took them down.  I'd say that there's no one more qualified to lead the team than Garrus.  I always chose him to lead the fireteams.

Zaeed would make a good second choice because you hear him talk about leading mercenary teams across the galaxy as well, although he's a merc so he puts his survival first.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #451 on: February 04, 2010, 12:01:06 AM »

Quote from: DamageInc on February 03, 2010, 11:33:07 PM

Had a conversation with Mordin on ship and he broke out into Gilbert and Sullivan's H.M.S. Pinafore (ala like Data from Star Trek). It was hilarious.

heh, just wait till he thinks you'r hitting on him :-D

A new one
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #452 on: February 04, 2010, 12:54:17 AM »

OH GOD NOOOOOOOO

heading into the last mission. frown

Will probably start a new game though with a whole new class and bump the difficulty up. normal is WAY, WAAAAAYYY too easy. I don't know if I have the patience for insanity though.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #453 on: February 04, 2010, 02:24:25 AM »

Quote from: jersoc on February 04, 2010, 12:54:17 AM

OH GOD NOOOOOOOO

heading into the last mission. frown

Will probably start a new game though with a whole new class and bump the difficulty up. normal is WAY, WAAAAAYYY too easy. I don't know if I have the patience for insanity though.

Veteran was not hard, I can't image how Normal was.  I started a new game as Hardcore and the enemies are way harder to kill and my squad dies during every battle.  Sounds like insanity would be insanely not fun.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #454 on: February 04, 2010, 03:01:59 AM »

oh, there's one higher than hard? I'll probably try that then.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #455 on: February 04, 2010, 04:40:27 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on February 03, 2010, 01:06:31 PM

Strange, I only looked in your spoiler for Zaeed - I had the exact same thing happen during the mission, but I got his power. Never use him, so I dont know about the outfit. One thing though - I think the new outfit only shows up during missions - at least it does for Mordin..

I used the same end choices with Zaeed, but no power and no costume.

rofl at Shepard pimping his status to get discounts.  How thrifty!

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #456 on: February 04, 2010, 05:02:44 AM »

Quote from: Nth Power on February 04, 2010, 04:40:27 AM

Quote from: Razgon on February 03, 2010, 01:06:31 PM

Strange, I only looked in your spoiler for Zaeed - I had the exact same thing happen during the mission, but I got his power. Never use him, so I dont know about the outfit. One thing though - I think the new outfit only shows up during missions - at least it does for Mordin..

I used the same end choices with Zaeed, but no power and no costume.

rofl at Shepard pimping his status to get discounts.  How thrifty!

Interesting, I chose the same stuff with Zaeed and I got his costume and power.  I wonder if being Paragon or Renegade has an effect on what works with each member?
Vidiot

View Profile
« Reply #457 on: February 04, 2010, 07:38:57 AM »

I'm not a big fan of paragon/renegade in general.  Same with a lot of the bioware good and evil, if you mix max at all you are forced to take a linear path.

I would remove all meters on it, let players make the choice they think is best.  Don't punish a player for trying to make the best choice at a given moment with the info they have to work with because it isn't perfectly good or bad.  Sometimes it can be about helping yourself vs others, or the good of the many vs the good of the few.  Every once in a while it should mix it up 24 style, the only way to not get anyone hurt/killed is to threaten/injure the guy you are interrogating.  If you don't do that you uphold your principles but you are punished by not having the cleanest victory, one of the hostages gets killed or hurt.  If you do torture the bad guy you manage to save everyone, maybe you even get info that lets you talk down the rest of the bad guys without a fire fight.  Force the players to question their own moral choices a bit.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #458 on: February 04, 2010, 08:15:50 AM »

I agree. Of all the RPGs I've ever played, the "good vs evil" concept is the least necessary here, mostly because your actions carry real consequences not only in the current game, but also in the games following it. It would be much more interesting if the paragon/renegade bars were removed altogether and the results of your actions would come through reactions from the game world. The game already has this, but the alignment bars steer most people towards min-maxing as high scores make it easier to get out of complex problems.
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #459 on: February 04, 2010, 02:04:33 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on February 04, 2010, 02:24:25 AM

Veteran was not hard, I can't image how Normal was.  

You didn't have any problem with the big security robots on Veteran? Or the Collector flying things that shield up after you damage them? Those usually killed my squad a couple times before I could figure good positioning.  Especially one of the side quests with 3 sec bots.  What class did you play? (Adept for me)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 02:06:56 PM by Bob » Logged
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #460 on: February 04, 2010, 02:58:52 PM »

I think I am nearing the end and I will be genuinely sorry to see the game end.  I may even replay it sometime at a later date and I almost never do that.  Ive been playing on normal and I agree with the above comments that the game is very easy on that level.  I may bump up the difficulty if I do play again just to keep it interesting.  What I like the best about the game is there are no generic "filler" quests required to finish the game.  All of the quests I have done except for the Normandy Crash site DLC have felt meaningful and have been well written.  The planet scanning is annoying but I only do it when I need a mineral for something specific. It generally hasn't taken too long to get what I need, especially once I got the ship scanner upgrade.  

« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 03:01:13 PM by denoginizer » Logged

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #461 on: February 04, 2010, 03:00:40 PM »

I dunno, I really liked the Normandy crash site mission. It gave me a sense of closure with a ship that was such an important part of ME1, and it was a nice change of pace.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #462 on: February 04, 2010, 03:02:11 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on February 04, 2010, 03:00:40 PM

I dunno, I really liked the Normandy crash site mission. It gave me a sense of closure with a ship that was such an important part of ME1, and it was a nice change of pace.

I can understand your point.

I think it would have had more impact if I had played through ME1. 

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #463 on: February 04, 2010, 03:26:42 PM »

No idea how some of you spent 37 hours in the game. I finished up last night at 25.5 hours, could you really have spent 12 hours scanning planets for random missions? I did enough to get the 5 random mission achievement and that was about it. Very happy with the experience, restarted immediately on hardcore and got through the opening sequences before I fell asleep. Maybe this time I'll spend more time on random missions (and less mining YAY!).

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #464 on: February 04, 2010, 03:30:57 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on February 04, 2010, 03:26:42 PM

No idea how some of you spent 37 hours in the game. I finished up last night at 25.5 hours, could you really have spent 12 hours scanning planets for random missions? I did enough to get the 5 random mission achievement and that was about it. Very happy with the experience, restarted immediately on hardcore and got through the opening sequences before I fell asleep. Maybe this time I'll spend more time on random missions (and less mining YAY!).

TBH there isn't a massive amount of side missions(when compared to ME1),i was disappointed after Bioware said some of the side missions could take as long as some of the main missions,and i was thinking Fallout 3...but they all turned out to be 30 minute run arounds,prolly my only bad point of ME2
hopefully some DLC can fix that problem

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Pharaoh

View Profile
« Reply #465 on: February 04, 2010, 03:36:32 PM »

I'm waiting for the best "build" for Insanity to come out. I tried Hardcore with my lvl 30 adept, and I got absolutely smoked during the middle of the game. The first parts were beatable with solid use of cover and partner abilities, but when you go to save Tali, those god damn drones just work you.

Are Sentinels the best because of tech armor? How the heck would you survive at the higher tiers of difficulty?
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #466 on: February 04, 2010, 03:39:28 PM »

I have no interest in the side missions.  All of the crew based missions and the main story stuff have been enough for me.  I'm currently at 18 hours played and I think I am about to embark on the "main quest" endgame portion.

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #467 on: February 04, 2010, 03:40:49 PM »

Quote from: Pharaoh on February 04, 2010, 03:36:32 PM

How the heck would you survive at the higher tiers of difficulty?

Headshots.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 05:09:34 PM by denoginizer » Logged

Pharaoh

View Profile
« Reply #468 on: February 04, 2010, 03:44:40 PM »

Sentinel with Sniper Rifles...figured. Crap, I picked up shotguns at midpoint.

Reroll again!
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #469 on: February 04, 2010, 03:56:04 PM »

When you do the new game+ thing, can you change your class? (I'm assuming not.)
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #470 on: February 04, 2010, 03:58:06 PM »

Quote from: Pharaoh on February 04, 2010, 03:44:40 PM

Reroll again!

You don't need a sniper rifle to get headshots.  icon_biggrin

I have found that the heavy pistols work just as well.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #471 on: February 04, 2010, 04:00:16 PM »

Quote from: Bob on February 04, 2010, 02:04:33 PM

Quote from: leo8877 on February 04, 2010, 02:24:25 AM

Veteran was not hard, I can't image how Normal was.  

You didn't have any problem with the big security robots on Veteran? Or the Collector flying things that shield up after you damage them? Those usually killed my squad a couple times before I could figure good positioning.  Especially one of the side quests with 3 sec bots.  What class did you play? (Adept for me)

I played as Engineer.  That drone that they can spawn is a life-saver.  There were times when I died, but for the most part I was able to cruise through levels without much trouble.  I upgraded a ton of stuff too, through the tech lab.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #472 on: February 04, 2010, 04:00:53 PM »

Quote from: Bob on February 04, 2010, 03:56:04 PM

You can change your appearance, but not your class.  I was hoping to do that too.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #473 on: February 04, 2010, 04:05:20 PM »

more free DLC on its way in a few weeks

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/more-free-mass-effect-2-dlc-very-soon

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #474 on: February 04, 2010, 04:51:45 PM »

Quote from: Pharaoh on February 04, 2010, 03:44:40 PM

Reroll again!

A Soldier with Geth Shield Boost, Barrier, or Fortress (Grunt's bonus power) might be a better choice because of their inherently higher health.  I was a little disappointed to learn that all of those defensive bonus powers are pretty much the same as Tech Shield (I'm playing a Sentinel), minus the aoe blast when Tech Shield goes down.  TS also stays up until it's shredded, so little recast time.  I'm on my 2nd playthrough (hardcore) with my sentinel, and anything that rips through shields quickly can mess him up.  I spend most of my time ripping off shields and armor for my group, using warp and overload.  I also throw things back if they charge my team.

A Soldier might be better if you enjoy spending more time wasting stuff with weapons.  Everything seems to get shredded quickly in hardcore though, especially if you're flanked.    
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 04:53:53 PM by Roguetad » Logged
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #475 on: February 04, 2010, 05:14:31 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on February 04, 2010, 04:00:53 PM

You can change your appearance, but not your class.  I was hoping to do that too.

I think you can start over with a new character and class and get a 25% exp bonus, but you don't carry over anything else.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #476 on: February 04, 2010, 05:27:21 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on February 04, 2010, 05:14:31 PM

I think you can start over with a new character and class and get a 25% exp bonus, but you don't carry over anything else.

Yep, if you have the long service achievement, you get that 25% exp bonus and a whole bunch of credits and minerals to work with. 
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #477 on: February 04, 2010, 05:37:38 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on February 04, 2010, 05:27:21 PM

Yep, if you have the long service achievement, you get that 25% exp bonus and a whole bunch of credits and minerals to work with. 

Is this also true if you import a second character from ME1?
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #478 on: February 04, 2010, 06:56:22 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on February 04, 2010, 05:37:38 PM

Quote from: leo8877 on February 04, 2010, 05:27:21 PM

Is this also true if you import a second character from ME1?

It was for me.  I started a new game after I completed one imported playthrough using another imported character from ME1, and I got all of that stuff: 25% exp bonus, lots of credits, and 50k of resources accross the board.  It wasn't a new game+, it was a brand new character import from ME1, and he still received all of those bonuses.  I remember at the time thinking, sweet, 50k of Element Zero?  I never had even close to that on my first playthrough. 

Knowing that now, I would not recommend playing 2 characters at the same time for a first playthrough.  Just complete the game first, and then start another character so you can benefit from the 25% exp bonus.     
Vindel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #479 on: February 04, 2010, 06:59:33 PM »

Ok, can anyone answer this? I have all but one character. Where is this person and how can I get him or her. There is still one slot open. I have so far:

Zaaed
Samara
Mordin
Grunt
Jacob
Miranda
Garrus
Jack
Thane
Tali

Now playing:
PC