http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 03:23:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 29   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mass effect 2 Launch and impressions (the REAL One)  (Read 40196 times)
skystride
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: January 28, 2010, 03:10:50 PM »

Do you guys ever play mmos?  In most mmos, harvesting is even more mindless.  But it doesn't matter.  It can be fun in a OCD way: getting that rare, hitting that spike.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: January 28, 2010, 03:20:23 PM »

Harvesting could be a bit less mind numbing, but it is 100x better than this driving around in the Mako  nod

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 28, 2010, 03:28:09 PM »

Quote from: skystride on January 28, 2010, 03:10:50 PM

Do you guys ever play mmos?  In most mmos, harvesting is even more mindless. 

That's one of the reasons why I don't play MMOs.   icon_biggrin

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: January 28, 2010, 04:20:54 PM »

When Grunt was revealed as a companion during the pre release marketing, I complained that he seemed too much like Wrex.  I mentioned that it would be cool to have a more intellectual krogan, rather than another in your face character.  I would like to eat those words now.  Grunt is awesome.  I can't say more without getting into spoiler territory.  I'm very happy with his character design.

Now the marketing approach for Subject Zero, in retrospect, seems really stupid and juvenile.  She's a cool character, with a complex story.

Quick clarification question:
The following powers have no effect until the target's shields/barriers/armor are removed: Throw, Pull, Cryo Freeze, Shockwave and Singularity? 

The following powers work against opponenets with shields/barriers/armor intact: Warp and Overload? 

Am I missing any?  Just trying to get a handle on what powers are effective, and when.     

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: January 28, 2010, 04:24:49 PM »

How do you guys feel about the new inventory, equipment stats, and combat system?

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 28, 2010, 04:47:51 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on January 28, 2010, 04:20:54 PM

When Grunt was revealed as a companion during the pre release marketing, I complained that he seemed too much like Wrex.  I mentioned that it would be cool to have a more intellectual krogan, rather than another in your face character.  I would like to eat those words now.  Grunt is awesome.  I can't say more without getting into spoiler territory.  I'm very happy with his character design.

Now the marketing approach for Subject Zero, in retrospect, seems really stupid and juvenile.  She's a cool character, with a complex story.

Quick clarification question:
The following powers have no effect until the target's shields/barriers/armor are removed: Throw, Pull, Cryo Freeze, Shockwave and Singularity? 

The following powers work against opponenets with shields/barriers/armor intact: Warp and Overload? 

Am I missing any?  Just trying to get a handle on what powers are effective, and when.     

Yeah I hated the marketing for Agent Zero, but I really enjoy the character in game. Also is that characters other name a nod to Chronicles of Riddick?
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: January 28, 2010, 05:04:31 PM »

I think I'm going to approach mineral harvesting different than I would normally.

There's no reason to scan for minerals unless you need those minerals to build items.

I'll do an initial scan of each planet when I get to a system to find out whether or not there's an anomaly on it.  Otherwise, I'm going to skip mineral scanning altogether until I find I need minerals to build something.

This way the scanning doesn't have to break up the game until I actually do need it for something.
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 28, 2010, 05:07:57 PM »

Funny, I'm taking exactly the opposite approach.  I'm scanning every planet I can early in the game so as to build up a stockpile of materials so that when the opportunity arises to upgrade and modify systems/weapons/ship I don't have to go looking for the stuff.

Open the blast doors!  Open the blast doors!
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 28, 2010, 05:42:43 PM »

I'm doing a full scan on every planet that shows up as Good or Rich.  I skip the moderate and below planets.  My first order of business was to upgrade the scanner.  Left trigger tap scanning, as mentioned earlier, really helps speed things up.  I'd rather do all the planet strip mining now, rather than later in the game when I'm heavier into the pacing of the story.  

I think I may delegate scanning to my 5 year old in the evenings, he would love doing that.  Most of the games he enjoys involve collecting stuff.          
Nonnahob

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: January 28, 2010, 05:48:24 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on January 28, 2010, 05:42:43 PM

I think I may delegate scanning to my 5 year old in the evenings, he would love doing that.  Most of the games he enjoys involve collecting stuff.          

Can I hire him for a few hours? I took the approach of getting the minerals now, spend them when I need them. I agree, it'd suck to stop the story so I could go back and upgrade my stuff to continue. Last night when I was "done playing", I spent another 15 minutes just harvesting. Nice segway to heading to bed I guess.  slywink

X360 - Nonnahob

A few nights ago I played a while with Hardon and we had a good time. - PhillyPeteRock
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #210 on: January 28, 2010, 06:17:52 PM »

Yeah, I've been gathering minerals constantly up front just so I'd have plenty whenever something cool came up.

Question: Do the powers that enhance bullet damage (Fire, Ice, etc) stack with other powers of different types? For example - can I take Shepard, give him 4 levels of Fire bullets and the option to give the power to the entire team, and then have it stack with a teammate who has Ice bullets and the option for the entire team?

That would be...nasty if you had 3 teammates with stacked ammo. Set them on fire, freeze them place, and then do additional damage via Armor Piercing rounds. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 28, 2010, 06:35:17 PM »

Quote from: MaxSteele on January 28, 2010, 05:04:31 PM

I think I'm going to approach mineral harvesting different than I would normally.

There's no reason to scan for minerals unless you need those minerals to build items.

I'll do an initial scan of each planet when I get to a system to find out whether or not there's an anomaly on it.  Otherwise, I'm going to skip mineral scanning altogether until I find I need minerals to build something.

This way the scanning doesn't have to break up the game until I actually do need it for something.

Well, I have read that you will not succeed in the end unless you do mining to beef up the Normandy.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
DamageInc

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 28, 2010, 06:47:59 PM »

So far I think the game is much improved since the first ME. Keep in mind that ME/ME2 are in my top 5 RPGs I have played.
I wish they had given a bit more control (preciseness) over moving your teammates into cover spots (Like they did in GRAW)
Targeting overall is improved over the first ME.

Many of the buttons are context sensitive including the D-pad, so if you have an enemy targeted and hit the left D-pad that person will attack instead of moving to a spot.
It still works fairly well, but I hate the lack of sense of control. (Isn't that what command is for?  slywink)

The other thing I wished they had fixed from the first game is a way to turn off the "blinking highlight" of the level up button. Sometimes you need to save your upgrade points until the next level.

The game is really immersive and lifelike. Exteriors and walls could have used a bit more detail, but the character models and explosion details are very well done.

Still love the Elcor, every conversation cracks me up.

+20 for adding more and more stuff from the first game. I keep bumping into people from the first game. Heck the AI computer even stated the exact amount of time since I had been to the Citadel IRL time.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 07:00:11 PM by DamageInc » Logged

DamageInc

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: January 28, 2010, 06:55:05 PM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on January 27, 2010, 11:11:10 PM

OMG, the whole planetary scan and probe is horrible! Who thought this would be fun? It's mindless drudgery. Bioware, please, please, please put out a free DLC to bypass this torture and just automate the process.

You can upgrade the scans via mining materials and the good Doctor Mordin. Not that it makes it fun, just less painful.

I do like the new hacking/bypass games.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: January 28, 2010, 06:56:03 PM »

Quote from: DamageInc on January 28, 2010, 06:55:05 PM

Quote from: jztemple2 on January 27, 2010, 11:11:10 PM

OMG, the whole planetary scan and probe is horrible! Who thought this would be fun? It's mindless drudgery. Bioware, please, please, please put out a free DLC to bypass this torture and just automate the process.

You can upgrade the scans via mining materials and the good Doctor Mordin. Not that it makes it fun, just less painful.

I do like the new hacking/bypass games.

Even with the upgrade it's really slow frown
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: January 28, 2010, 07:24:29 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on January 28, 2010, 03:20:23 PM

Harvesting could be a bit less mind numbing, but it is 100x better than this driving around in the Mako  nod

This is for sure.

And as someone else pointed out, scanning for minerals seems to be 100% optional (so far).  Yeah it gets you resources to buy stuff, but to me that is still optional.  It is NOT necessary to beat the game.

I think it's just that some people have OCD so they think it's mandatory to them, but it's really not.
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 28, 2010, 07:28:43 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on January 28, 2010, 04:24:49 PM

How do you guys feel about the new inventory, equipment stats, and combat system?

Personally I like it a lot better, it's way less hassle than ME1.  But I can understand how people say it feels less "RPGish".

But to me, it's perfect for a console RPG... I don't want to mess around with a bunch of management.  For PC RPGs I like that stuff, but not on console ones when the input method is a lot less desirable.  And yeah yeah, I realize that ME exists on the PC too.  But the series and the first game was obviously lead designed for the Xbox.

If you want to play a more traditional RPG, that's why they made Dragon Age.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #217 on: January 28, 2010, 07:31:33 PM »

i got lucky and found this in the mail last night from gamefly.  first impressions after 3 hours is that i really like this so far.  i'm in the same boat as shephard when it comes to trusting cerberus or EDI though.  i love that i ended up with scars on my face, as it just fits with what he's been through.  i do wish they had allowed you to import the face and then modify it though, but in the context of how much time has passed, i can live with it as it is.  

i really like that the first person i recruited from the old crew from ME1 is someone i finished the game with.  makes the continuation and the reunion that much better.  getting used to the combat mechanics as it seems a bit more shooty this go around.  i like the faster power regen, but dislike the global timer.  also, as an infiltrator, i really miss the assassinate skill.  ammo is a bit odd too, considering that once i had the skills and a good rifle, i stuck with the sniper rifle/pistol  backup for most of ME1.  can't do that here when you get all of 10 shots before you run out.  i hope that you'll get enough upgrades to not be forced back to pistols all the time.  

bad news is that during the first 45 minutes, my game froze up three times.  after that, i installed to the hd and went the rest of the night without crashing.  it would be a huge pita if the box died now, but at least it would be before the warranty is up.  

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 28, 2010, 08:38:14 PM »

yeah for mining, just hit the large packets. the little ones aren't worth the time of day. also the upgrades are far too good not to do it.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 28, 2010, 09:36:49 PM »

Quote from: TK-421 on January 28, 2010, 05:07:57 PM

Funny, I'm taking exactly the opposite approach.  I'm scanning every planet I can early in the game so as to build up a stockpile of materials so that when the opportunity arises to upgrade and modify systems/weapons/ship I don't have to go looking for the stuff.

That's what I was doing, but I have to break from this because it will drive me crazy if I don't  crybaby. I wish there was a way to in-game annotate the map so I can leave notes for myself.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #220 on: January 28, 2010, 10:10:26 PM »

So, 22 hours in already, and I've hit the second disc. Wasn't exactly a giant pivotal point in the game, either. It just sorta...happened.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: January 28, 2010, 10:14:58 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on January 28, 2010, 10:10:26 PM

So, 22 hours in already, and I've hit the second disc. Wasn't exactly a giant pivotal point in the game, either. It just sorta...happened.

Keep in mind they have stated that you play disk 1, then disk 2, then disk 1 again so you are not halfway done you have just reached Bioware's odd spot for a disk swap.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: January 28, 2010, 10:16:18 PM »

Uh I got to the second disc at less than 10 hours.  And I'm not even moving the main story along.  I was doing a mission for one of the crew and it said to insert disc 2.

Edit:  I was doing Jacob's mission.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #223 on: January 28, 2010, 10:22:33 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on January 28, 2010, 10:16:18 PM

Uh I got to the second disc at less than 10 hours.  And I'm not even moving the main story along.  I was doing a mission for one of the crew and it said to insert disc 2.

Same, actually. It just apparently took me a heck of a lot longer to get to that point than you. smile

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: January 28, 2010, 10:46:03 PM »

And when the scanning report goes from "Poor" to "Depleted", don't believe it. I've found a couple of big deposits on a planet after I ran it from "Rich" to "Depleted". Also I've not had that much confidence in the above mentioned quick scan. I just spin the planet under my stationary scanner. To mark my starting point I use two probes next to each other at the equator. Then I break the planet up into seven latitude bands to do a thorough check. Time consuming, but it does seem to be successful for me.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: January 28, 2010, 10:50:59 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on January 28, 2010, 10:22:33 PM

Same, actually. It just apparently took me a heck of a lot longer to get to that point than you. smile

What did you do when the mission was over?  I just left the disc in and it seems to be working just fine.  When I finished that night I just installed disc 2 also before I went to bed.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #226 on: January 28, 2010, 11:00:49 PM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on January 28, 2010, 10:46:03 PM

And when the scanning report goes from "Poor" to "Depleted", don't believe it. I've found a couple of big deposits on a planet after I ran it from "Rich" to "Depleted". Also I've not had that much confidence in the above mentioned quick scan. I just spin the planet under my stationary scanner. To mark my starting point I use two probes next to each other at the equator. Then I break the planet up into seven latitude bands to do a thorough check. Time consuming, but it does seem to be successful for me.

no wonder you hate it.  that's pretty in depth.  you'll end up in better shape than quick scanners though.

Barrakketh
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: January 28, 2010, 11:16:39 PM »

Illium is on Disk 2. As soon as I selected Land from orbit, I was prompted for Disk 2. I have the majority of my team, but only 1 loyalty mission done so far, maybe 20 hours in.

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: January 28, 2010, 11:17:18 PM »

Quote from: Caine on January 28, 2010, 11:00:49 PM

Quote from: jztemple2 on January 28, 2010, 10:46:03 PM

no wonder you hate it.  that's pretty in depth.  you'll end up in better shape than quick scanners though.

Part of my reasoning is that 30 probes aren't enough for two planets, but if you are thorough on a planet you'll use about twenty or more and completely get all the resources. Yet, it takes longer, but I never have to go back to that planet again. I just really, really want an upgrade that allows me to build my own probes on-board so I don't have to go to the depot for me.

But what I dream about is being able to leave an away team on the planet and wait for their message that they are finished mining the planet, please come back and pick them up! nod

DamageInc

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 29, 2010, 12:24:43 AM »

Quote from: KePoW on January 28, 2010, 07:24:29 PM

Quote from: Soulchilde on January 28, 2010, 03:20:23 PM

This is for sure.

And as someone else pointed out, scanning for minerals seems to be 100% optional (so far).  Yeah it gets you resources to buy stuff, but to me that is still optional.  It is NOT necessary to beat the game.

I think it's just that some people have OCD so they think it's mandatory to them, but it's really not.

Let me know how your ending turns out  slywink

Do you have to mine every single planet, no. That is where the OCD kicks in.
Do you have to get every single upgrade, no That is where the OCD kicks in.

It DOES affect your ability to have the resources to do the Normandy upgrades and it WILL affect your ending.
You can't even get to the ending without doing the Normandy upgrades.

Talk to Joker a few times and he will explain this. It is also most likely the reason why the upgrade conversation unlocks regarding the Normandy upgrades are in all capital letters. (NORMANDY)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 01:33:58 AM by DamageInc » Logged

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #230 on: January 29, 2010, 12:29:19 AM »

I'd love to know who the person is behind writing all the descriptions for the planets across the galaxy. Like in ME1, they're quite through and detailed. They also make no sense sometimes:

"This planet is nothing but a worthless husk of rock."

Mineral Content: HIGH

saywhat

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: January 29, 2010, 01:14:14 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on January 29, 2010, 12:29:19 AM

I'd love to know who the person is behind writing all the descriptions for the planets across the galaxy. Like in ME1, they're quite through and detailed. They also make no sense sometimes:

"This planet is nothing but a worthless husk of rock."

Mineral Content: HIGH

saywhat

LOL.  They sure do go into massive details.  I haven't even scratched the surface of my Codex either.
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: January 29, 2010, 01:36:47 AM »

Quote from: DamageInc on January 28, 2010, 06:35:17 PM

Quote from: MaxSteele on January 28, 2010, 05:04:31 PM

Well, I have read that you will not succeed in the end unless you do mining to beef up the Normandy.

I didn't say I wasn't going to do it, I said I will scan for minerals when I have a reason to upgrade.  Others are doing it now to have a stockpile.  I'm going to do it later.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: January 29, 2010, 02:56:09 AM »

Comments after seeing Moriarty start a second playthrough:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Not really sure if these count as spoilers, but, don't want to damage any other person's enthusiasm for the game like mine has been, at least somewhat. 

So apparently there is a level cap of 30, you can reach this before finishing the game the first time.  So xp no longer means anything, you already most likely have all weapons/skills, there is no loot.  Not seeing much beyond possibly doing certain areas a little differently and achievement(s) as a reason to replay with the same character. 

Now I can see playing new games with different classes as they seem to play differently enough.  Reminds me somewhat of the original Fallout and its very easy to reach level cap.  Takes a chunk of the fun out for me.  I'm sure others won't feel the same.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: January 29, 2010, 03:14:27 AM »

Quote from: DamageInc on January 29, 2010, 12:24:43 AM

Let me know how your ending turns out  slywink

Do you have to mine every single planet, no. That is where the OCD kicks in.
Do you have to get every single upgrade, no That is where the OCD kicks in.

It DOES affect your ability to have the resources to do the Normandy upgrades and it WILL affect your ending.
You can't even get to the ending without doing the Normandy upgrades.

Talk to Joker a few times and he will explain this. It is also most likely the reason why the upgrade conversation unlocks regarding the Normandy upgrades are in all capital letters. (NORMANDY)

Ok well like I said, I didn't know if it was actually 100% necessary to mine in order to beat the base game.  If that is the case, then some criticism is justified.

So far I haven't done any combat or character upgrades, and it's fine.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: January 29, 2010, 07:36:20 AM »

i ran into a part where doing paragon was actually a renegade thing in the end. BIOWARE YOU ARE GETTING IT!!! grats on finally understanding how to do this. too bad it's the first time and probably the last time in the entire game.

late edit:i forgot to mention that PC version, at least, has some serious clipping issues. I have gotten stuck on the random environment for no reason. Once I walked out a door and was immediately warped to the left and stuck on seemingly nothing. that time i couldn't get myself free and resulted in reverting a save 20 mins ago. freakin bs. it wouldn't be so bad but this happens quite frequently, but usually i dont get stuck like this.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 07:56:06 AM by jersoc » Logged
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #236 on: January 29, 2010, 08:37:46 AM »

That's why you quicksave! As always with PC games that have a quicksave available, if you have to revert to an ages old save it's your own fault. Tongue
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: January 29, 2010, 08:55:11 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on January 29, 2010, 08:37:46 AM

That's why you quicksave! As always with PC games that have a quicksave available, if you have to revert to an ages old save it's your own fault. Tongue

yes, clearly it's my fault they have a serious engine problems. and i'm a save-holic. i dont expect needing to save while roaming a city.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #238 on: January 29, 2010, 09:41:49 AM »

I'm the kind of player who will quicksave after almost every corner. Mass Effect 2 accommodates this nicely by not slowing down or stopping at all while it saves.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: January 29, 2010, 09:44:51 AM »

I liked what they did in MGS4 - suddenly, the guy who constantly monitors you pops up and says, "Snake, SNAKE, you have to change the dics", and snake goes "What?" - Proffessor guy says "Oh, wait this is the PS3 and its all bluray, so no need - it can all fit on one disc"  icon_biggrin

Anyways - loving the game...its just so much me! Only thing I'm missing is teammember bantering...there's really ...nothing. This leads to lack of personality in my teammembers, something that DA could have shown them how to include in spades.

Btw - re

A new one
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 29   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: