http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 01:48:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 29   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mass effect 2 Launch and impressions (the REAL One)  (Read 40707 times)
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: January 27, 2010, 08:39:34 PM »

Hope they release the Hammerhead DLC soon, I'm out of missions.  slywink

Also, it was confirmed that there is a 12th DLC teammate, likely as paid DLC handled similarly to Zaeed.  A female human thief named Kasumi, sounds interesting.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 27, 2010, 08:41:18 PM »

The Gamestop pre-order armor really is ugly. However, I'm assuming that I should wear it since it gives me bonuses, right?

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 27, 2010, 08:43:37 PM »

i'm only 8 hours in. i'll find something awfully wrong with the game. but at least they aren't using securom
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 27, 2010, 08:46:04 PM »

You know, it wouldn't be a real science fiction game without a bar location, but how am I supposed to drink my drink if I can't get my helmet off?

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 27, 2010, 08:46:06 PM »

Archangel mission was a good one.  I'm holding off on the Normandy crash site mission.  I want more of my old team back before I hit it

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: January 27, 2010, 08:47:09 PM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on January 27, 2010, 08:46:04 PM

You know, it wouldn't be a real science fiction game without a bar location, but how am I supposed to drink my drink if I can't get my helmet off?

careful of accepting any random drinks!
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 27, 2010, 08:47:32 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on January 27, 2010, 08:39:34 PM

Hope they release the Hammerhead DLC soon, I'm out of missions.  slywink

Also, it was confirmed that there is a 12th DLC teammate, likely as paid DLC handled similarly to Zaeed.  A female human thief named Kasumi, sounds interesting.

what?   damn, turtle

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 27, 2010, 08:49:26 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on January 27, 2010, 08:46:06 PM

Archangel mission was a good one.  I'm holding off on the Normandy crash site mission.  I want more of my old team back before I hit it

I haven't finished that mission but you don't get any squad mates during the portion I have done so it probably isn't worth waiting.  
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 27, 2010, 08:49:41 PM »

Dammit, I'm going to keep ordering drinks until he gives me something different than that blue one!

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: January 27, 2010, 08:54:01 PM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on January 27, 2010, 08:49:41 PM

Dammit, I'm going to keep ordering drinks until he gives me something different than that blue one!

"It is...it's green."

biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 27, 2010, 08:55:30 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on January 27, 2010, 08:49:26 PM

Quote from: Soulchilde on January 27, 2010, 08:46:06 PM

Archangel mission was a good one.  I'm holding off on the Normandy crash site mission.  I want more of my old team back before I hit it

I haven't finished that mission but you don't get any squad mates during the portion I have done so it probably isn't worth waiting.  

you don't get anything special from it. no reason to wait, quick easy xp
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: January 27, 2010, 08:57:37 PM »

Same way Quarians get their drink on with environment suits. slywink

Also, Mordin's personal quest is an amazing piece of writing.  Mordin steals the game for me, a very well thought out character that's more than just comedic relief or the simple mad scientist cliche.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 27, 2010, 08:58:44 PM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on January 27, 2010, 08:49:41 PM

67... still blue
68... still blue
69... still... blaaaaaaaaa. Damn, vomit is hard to clean out of a helmet.

Bob

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 27, 2010, 09:14:28 PM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on January 27, 2010, 08:58:44 PM

67... still blue
68... still blue
69... still... blaaaaaaaaa. Damn, vomit is hard to clean out of a helmet.

You don't get drunk because he's actually just dumping them down the front of his armor.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: January 27, 2010, 09:17:28 PM »

He actually stores it in tanks for later consumption, and Ryncol can be used as an emergency backup fuel source. slywink
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 27, 2010, 09:48:42 PM »

Even the backstory for the Blood Dragon armor is a joke...literally.  The armor is from a sports team named the Edmonton Blood Dragons lol.  It would be like showing up for a real life military operation today fully decked out in your favorite football team gear, complete with a helmet and punters face bar. 

Nice equipment Shephard!  Are you starting today?  *Snicker* 
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 27, 2010, 09:50:12 PM »

I was surprised to see that you can get drunk in ME2. Always a nice bonus slywink

6 hours in and I'm amazed with the game so far, exceeding my expectations in so many ways!

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 27, 2010, 10:04:10 PM »

Ok Convict mission = win.  Talk about show not tell.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 27, 2010, 10:11:58 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on January 27, 2010, 10:04:10 PM

Indeed.  That was on hell of an awesome mission.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 27, 2010, 10:30:46 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on January 27, 2010, 09:48:42 PM

Even the backstory for the Blood Dragon armor is a joke...literally.  The armor is from a sports team named the Edmonton Blood Dragons lol.  It would be like showing up for a real life military operation today fully decked out in your favorite football team gear, complete with a helmet and punters face bar. 

Nice equipment Shephard!  Are you starting today?  *Snicker* 

Edmonton!?  This has nothing to do with where Bioware is located right?  Roll Eyes
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: January 27, 2010, 10:31:14 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on January 27, 2010, 10:11:58 PM

Quote from: leo8877 on January 27, 2010, 10:04:10 PM

Indeed.  That was on hell of an awesome mission.

Really cool, made me late for work cause I couldn't turn it off.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 27, 2010, 11:11:10 PM »

OMG, the whole planetary scan and probe is horrible! Who thought this would be fun? It's mindless drudgery. Bioware, please, please, please put out a free DLC to bypass this torture and just automate the process.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 27, 2010, 11:19:21 PM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on January 27, 2010, 11:11:10 PM

OMG, the whole planetary scan and probe is horrible! Who thought this would be fun? It's mindless drudgery. Bioware, please, please, please put out a free DLC to bypass this torture and just automate the process.

no!  you guys complained about the Mako so you this is what you get! icon_twisted

did anyone notice wearing a helmet actually gives you a bonus now?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 27, 2010, 11:22:02 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 27, 2010, 11:19:21 PM

no!  you guys complained about the Mako so you this is what you get! icon_twisted

I know I have an eye-piece that grants a bonus, but do all helmets do the same?  I thought it was only special items that you find.

Scanning is seriously shitty. 
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 27, 2010, 11:28:50 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on January 27, 2010, 11:22:02 PM

Scanning is seriously shitty. 

I started scanning last night, and didn't find it that bad.  It was actually kind of exciting to get a hit on a new mineral.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 27, 2010, 11:33:57 PM »

Good God, you shouldn't be playing video games... Just put on a movie  Roll Eyes

Is scanning planets even a requirement? I've only used it to gain materials.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 11:35:44 PM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 27, 2010, 11:35:06 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on January 27, 2010, 11:22:02 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on January 27, 2010, 11:19:21 PM

I know I have an eye-piece that grants a bonus, but do all helmets do the same?  I thought it was only special items that you find.

well the default helmets (regular and enviromental) give you a 5% boost to health and they're available as soon I went to the armory.

Because I can,
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 28, 2010, 12:32:32 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on January 27, 2010, 11:33:57 PM

Good God, you shouldn't be playing video games... Just put on a movie  Roll Eyes

I'd watch a movie if I just wanted to mindlessly sit in front of a screen and occasionally hit a button over and over... oh wait, that's Guitar Hero  Tongue

And I never complained about the Mako... if I did, I didn't mean to exchange it for something this bad. The materials are used to buy things, so yes I would consider that a requirement.

Seriously, it's just that compared to the rest of the game the whole planetary mining process is so abstract and disembodied. It's grinding at it's worse.

MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: January 28, 2010, 01:20:40 AM »

Success!   After picking up a Mass Effect rental from Hollywood Video and killing the end guy again, my "invisible" save game was created and I was able to import the save!

I has a happy. smile
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #189 on: January 28, 2010, 04:59:30 AM »

Minerals are used for Research. Research is used so your team kicks ass more than usual. Just slightly useful. biggrin

And I've just hit the point where I've 'gathered' all the characters you know about from the beginning of the game (including the free DLC, Zaeed). What a very...interesting bunch.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 28, 2010, 06:19:46 AM »

I like Mordin.  Like a hyper alien captain Kirk.

Or as someone on the crew said 'a hyper-active hamster on coffe.'

Pikachu, I Blame you!
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #191 on: January 28, 2010, 06:58:05 AM »

Yay, the game is finally unlocked on Steam here in Europe. I got up an hour earlier so that I could try the game before work. Played long enough to see that the DLC armor doesn't let you remove the helmets, which makes it all worthless. Almost feels like I wasted the money on the digital deluxe edition now. Oh well...

Can't wait to play more after work. smile
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 28, 2010, 07:19:44 AM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on January 28, 2010, 12:32:32 AM

I'd watch a movie if I just wanted to mindlessly sit in front of a screen and occasionally hit a button over and over... oh wait, that's Guitar Hero  Tongue

And I never complained about the Mako... if I did, I didn't mean to exchange it for something this bad. The materials are used to buy things, so yes I would consider that a requirement.

Seriously, it's just that compared to the rest of the game the whole planetary mining process is so abstract and disembodied. It's grinding at it's worse.

I just can't relate to how you're feeling, I've scanned through a few planets so far and it just feels like a basic mini-game to me. It's not as torturous as you make it out to be. How far into the game were you when you started feeling this way? Maybe you should try scanning every so often instead of keeping it in the slow-moving scanning mode constantly.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 07:22:28 AM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 28, 2010, 07:20:40 AM »

I'm finding that the "tap" method of doing the mineral exploration works best so kudos to whoever pointed that out.  It's still annoying that you only can carry 30 pods at a time, but at least it's not as bad as all those stupid mini-games.  

One thing I don't like is how the game throws you back to the ship and launches it on its own.  I went to a location where there are 3 companions available.  First guy (DLC) joined up then I went and got the second.  When that ended I was out in the ship and had go dock to get the next guy.  Finished that and I'm back out on the ship and have to dock again if I want to do anything else at the location.  It really makes the game feel like a mission based shooter that way rather then an RPG.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 28, 2010, 08:48:26 AM »

Quote from: Sarkus on January 28, 2010, 07:20:40 AM

One thing I don't like is how the game throws you back to the ship and launches it on its own.  I went to a location where there are 3 companions available.  First guy (DLC) joined up then I went and got the second.  When that ended I was out in the ship and had go dock to get the next guy.  Finished that and I'm back out on the ship and have to dock again if I want to do anything else at the location.  It really makes the game feel like a mission based shooter that way rather then an RPG.

I'm feeling the same way, and the 'end of level' screens that list everything you did during the mission aren't helping get rid of that feeling.  I'm still amazed at the smallest things that seem to be popping up from ME1 though, definitely makes it feel more like a persistent world.

Because I can,
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: January 28, 2010, 11:55:03 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on January 28, 2010, 07:19:44 AM

I just can't relate to how you're feeling, I've scanned through a few planets so far and it just feels like a basic mini-game to me. It's not as torturous as you make it out to be. How far into the game were you when you started feeling this way? Maybe you should try scanning every so often instead of keeping it in the slow-moving scanning mode constantly.

I guess it's just that compared to how smoothly everything else has been flowing in the game, the scanning is just so... dull. I was about five hours in on the game when I did my first scan and so it seemed like such a big roadblock. However, I'm taking the advice about the tap scanning to heart and will break it up into smaller chunks. That runs against my normal method of game play which is to thoroughly do each task, so I have my own predispositions to overcome. 

I also have to agree with the comments that it is annoying that going back to the ship undocks it and makes it more trouble than it should be to get back to the planet/spaceport. However it doesn't happen often enough to be a burden to me.

I do have a minor nit, I wish that the conversation wheels would somehow indicate which conversation options I've already listened to. IIRC Oblivion did this and it was a good timesaver.

Other than that however it's been a great experience. I would say that ME2 is to ME1 like the second Star Trek movie was to the first movie.  Less high sounding moralizing, more fun things going on. I'm happy with my Sheppard character, except that sadly he cannot dance worth a damn  icon_biggrin

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: January 28, 2010, 02:15:18 PM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on January 28, 2010, 11:55:03 AM

Quote from: Ridah on January 28, 2010, 07:19:44 AM

I guess it's just that compared to how smoothly everything else has been flowing in the game, the scanning is just so... dull.

I'm with jzt on this one. The scanning "mini-game" sucks. I prefer the other mini-games because they are actually, ya know, mini. I haven't timed it but I must be spending several minutes scanning planets for resources. The other mini-games take about 15 seconds. Also, the probes are so stupid-cheap why make me go restock them? Same with fuel. It's a good thing I like the characters and I am getting better at the shooty parts.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Nonnahob

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 28, 2010, 02:33:31 PM »

Agree. I'm loving every minute of it, minus that mini-game... and the fuel thing. That's slightly annoying as well, but at least not as time consuming as the mineral game.

Otherwise this has been an absolute blast to play! So far the story and characters have been a lot of fun to interact with.

X360 - Nonnahob

A few nights ago I played a while with Hardon and we had a good time. - PhillyPeteRock
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #198 on: January 28, 2010, 02:42:10 PM »

I don't know how/why everybody here is having so many problems with the scanning game - I can finish up a planet in about 5 minutes or so. Or at least grab most of it. It doesn't feel slow or like a grind to me at all.

The upgraded scanner speed is an absolute must. Before that, yeah, scanning is mildly annoying. But with it, I just tap around until I find most of the stuff and leave.

Remember - you don't seem to need the small/low reading ones. Those are only worth a few hundred. Look for the giant spikes - those are 2-3 thousand.

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #199 on: January 28, 2010, 02:48:36 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on January 28, 2010, 02:42:10 PM

I don't know how/why everybody here is having so many problems with the scanning game - I can finish up a planet in about 5 minutes or so. Or at least grab most of it. It doesn't feel slow or like a grind to me at all.

5 minutes is way too long staring at that screen. It's basically mindless dead time in the game, totally disengaging.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 29   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: