http://gamingtrend.com
August 01, 2014, 08:31:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 29   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mass effect 2 Launch and impressions (the REAL One)  (Read 39832 times)
denoginizer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2010, 04:05:04 PM »

The Joystiq review directly answers most of my questions about the game. It seems to have been written by someone who didn't care for ME1 all that much.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/01/26/mass-effect-2-review/

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2010, 04:14:51 PM »

I don't understand the practice of giving the review of a sequel to someone who didn't like the previous game(s).  They're predisposed to not liking it. 

Of course, that means they'll be more critical, which might be good.  What I'd really like to see is sequels getting reviewed by two reviewers.  One would be by a fan of the previous game.  The other by someone who was lukewarm or disliked the previous one.  Both reviewers would be clearly identified. 

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2010, 04:57:54 PM »

But if the reviewer states the reasons why he didn't like the first game and addresses them in the review of the sequel it can be helpful.  That review pretty much sold me on ME2.  Of course this is entirely subjective on my part. But anybody who gave Mass Effect 1 a perfect score is someone that I cannot trust very much as a reviewer with regards to my gaming sensibilities.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 07:11:40 PM by denoginizer » Logged

Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2010, 05:02:04 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on January 26, 2010, 04:14:51 PM

I don't understand the practice of giving the review of a sequel to someone who didn't like the previous game(s).  They're predisposed to not liking it. 

True; And being someone who could never get the hang of Mass Effect 1 (I've tried, but I've been repeatedly frustrated by the combat -- I even tried again last week and could not bring myself to like it; I just can't get a handle on the combat system, and it takes so damn long to re-load after I repeatedly die) I find it exciting that someone else who felt the way I did about ME1 enjoys ME2 much more.

Meaning I'll have to check it out at some point.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2010, 05:32:13 PM »

I don't understand the practice of giving the review of a sequel to someone who didn't like the previous game(s).  They're predisposed to not liking it.  

Of course, that means they'll be more critical, which might be good.  What I'd really like to see is sequels getting reviewed by two reviewers.  One would be by a fan of the previous game.  The other by someone who was lukewarm or disliked the previous one.  Both reviewers would be clearly identified.  

errmmm... I seem to have lost my response here. I was saying, reading the very brief joystiq review I appreciate seeing an opinion from the other side.

Also, when I click the link I love seeing Yvonne Strahovski's CGI face. Don't tell my wife, but I think I love Yvonne, even digital Yvonne. It's not that nerd lust either. I really, really love her.  nod
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 05:39:54 PM by coopasonic » Logged

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
somoflange
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2010, 05:40:46 PM »

One question I haven't seen addressed: did they fix the framerate issues from the first one? I don't mind an occasional dip or stutter, but the first one was pretty broken in this regard.

PSN: plantatreeforlee
Live: blastdsamoflanj
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2010, 05:41:18 PM »

Quote from: JCC on January 25, 2010, 09:48:45 PM

Will someone please explain exactly how inventory and equipment work?

A very basic description is that they removed most of the crap loot. They have a few choices of each weapon and armor that you modify via customization.
I think this was a good idea. In most RPGs you go for the best items, and the rest is just sold. In some RPGs this works, but I think ME is better off without it.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2010, 06:00:16 PM »

Quote from: somoflange on January 26, 2010, 05:40:46 PM

One question I haven't seen addressed: did they fix the framerate issues from the first one? I don't mind an occasional dip or stutter, but the first one was pretty broken in this regard.

Can't remember which review it was (Team Xbox?).  But Artur Geiss said it never dropped below 30 fps except  occasionally during in-engine cut scenes.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 07:10:37 PM by denoginizer » Logged

Nonnahob

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2010, 06:00:41 PM »

Quote from: somoflange on January 26, 2010, 05:40:46 PM

In the review that was posted, this was one thing the reviewer was complaining about in the first one. He praises them in ME2 for fixing this and making it much much better.

X360 - Nonnahob

A few nights ago I played a while with Hardon and we had a good time. - PhillyPeteRock
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2010, 06:03:18 PM »

The same could be said for giving the review to someone who loved the first game though.  If someone loved ME, played it multiple times, did everything, tried every possible action then they probably would love the sequel so the review wouldn't mean as much either.

I guess it is just best if they state their bias up front and be as professional as they can.

skystride

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2010, 06:08:49 PM »

I've loved many games and hated the sequel.  You'd think a professional reviewer could also be objective.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2010, 06:31:19 PM »

Quote from: skystride on January 26, 2010, 06:08:49 PM

I've loved many games and hated the sequel.  You'd think a professional reviewer could also be objective.

Bah, there is no such thing as an objective review.  The best reviewers are able to explain their personal opinions in such a way that the reader is able to determine if their opinion is likely to be similar. 
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2010, 07:14:40 PM »

All I know is that ME2 is making ME1 look like an original Xbox game...   *drooool*

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2010, 07:18:59 PM »

This morning I had a "What the hell?" moment and took today off. Been a while since I did that for a game. At a little after 11 my Best Buy seemingly only had a few vanilla copies left. I have played about 2 hours so far. I really enjoyed the first game, but felt it had a lot of warts. My main enjoyment was of the story and the conversation system. I am very impressed so far. The beginning is spectacular (I am very pissed I had it spoiled for me earlier this week when I was looking for technical info on the game). So far the framerate is much smoother, and I haven't noticed any late texture loads which were prevalent in the first game. Ditching the old inventory system is much appreciated from my end. The combat definitely feels smoother and more refined, but it still doesn't feel like a pure 3rd person action game - at least not to me. The tone is definitely much darker in this so far.

As for importing. I finished the game once doing a lot (but not all) of the side quests, and then blitzed through a 2nd time with the same character and made some different choices. I was given the choice of using either completed save game which was nice. (I chose my original completion.) It gives you a brief summary of what the key choices were you made, but I have read in reviews that your decisions from the first game have way more impact than what they tell you about in the beginning. The presentation is very impressive much like the first, but so far without the warts - at least to this point. Definitely very impressed so far, and am ready to get back to it after a short break.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2010, 07:19:40 PM »

Non-spoilered Mass Effect Comic:

http://i.imgur.com/3AOan.jpg

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2010, 07:21:28 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on January 26, 2010, 07:19:40 PM

thumbsup

Why oh why couldn't I romance Tali in ME1!!!
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2010, 07:21:37 PM »

*snicker*

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2010, 07:22:25 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on January 26, 2010, 07:21:28 PM

thumbsup

LOLOL  "Mild Rebuke; I think you are just jealous of my pimp hat!!" 
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2010, 07:28:38 PM »

Quote from: Dreamshadow on January 26, 2010, 07:14:40 PM

All I know is that ME2 is making ME1 look like an original Xbox game...   *drooool*

Personally I thought ME1 made ME1 look like an Xbox 360 game running on an original Xbox.

skystride

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2010, 07:59:14 PM »

Um.... do you know what they look like inside that helmet?
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 26, 2010, 08:13:08 PM »

Quote from: skystride on January 26, 2010, 07:59:14 PM

Um.... do you know what they look like inside that helmet?

Shepard thinks beauty comes from inside biggrin
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 26, 2010, 08:39:46 PM »

Picked it up and have been playing about an hour. No problems accessing the EA site to enter my code numbers, but I apparently haven't reached the point yet in the game where I activate them. Game does start off nicely with intro and tutorial/action sequence. Mini-games are a little silly but harmless.

Correction, mostly harmless  slywink

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
Vidiot

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 26, 2010, 08:41:46 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on January 26, 2010, 03:16:29 PM

Amazon has it out for delivery....going to be a long day at work  confused

+1
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 26, 2010, 08:57:41 PM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on January 26, 2010, 08:39:46 PM

Picked it up and have been playing about an hour. No problems accessing the EA site to enter my code numbers, but I apparently haven't reached the point yet in the game where I activate them. Game does start off nicely with intro and tutorial/action sequence. Mini-games are a little silly but harmless.

Correction, mostly harmless  slywink

it looks like they've screwed the pooch with the codes for the PC CE but I got my 360 codes working fine.  that said, I've been playing the PC version using my Paragon more than the 360 version with my Renegade.  I kinda like the new minigames, the hacking one took me a moment to figure out.  the individual control over your squad mates is nice too, but I'm not sure if I'm digging the whole ammo aspect.

I'm not digging the PC controls though, they melded use and storm into one keystroke, but I imagine re-mapping the keys should be fine.  on the 360 it's going to take some getting used to since it's been forever since I played ME1.

it's weird seeing Yvonne with brunette hair and an English accent.

oh, and they handle the whole resetting your character back to level 1 quite nicely.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 26, 2010, 09:02:47 PM »

i assume you mean australian as she's an aussie. which is way hotter than a vile english one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 26, 2010, 09:06:29 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on January 26, 2010, 09:02:47 PM

i assume you mean australian as she's an aussie. which is way hotter than a vile english one

British, Australian, they all sound the same when you're staring at their boobs.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 26, 2010, 09:32:02 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 26, 2010, 08:57:41 PM

I don't know who this person is but I don't think she's very hot in-game.  I don't like the second potential candidate either.

Minor spoiler only if you haven't met Aria yet:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Why do aliens have such a human like club?  Is go-go dancing universal?
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 26, 2010, 09:34:32 PM »

Quote from: skystride on January 26, 2010, 09:32:02 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on January 26, 2010, 08:57:41 PM

I don't know who this person is but I don't think she's very hot in-game.  I don't like the second potential candidate either.

Minor spoiler only if you haven't met Aria yet:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Why do aliens have such a human like club?  Is go-go dancing universal?

watch some Chuck, noob.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 26, 2010, 09:46:07 PM »

When do I need to install the second disc to the hard drive of my 360?

Update: Best quote so far: "I don't trust anyone who makes more than I do".

On board the Normandy SR2...
Spoiler for Hiden:
What, I have an aquarium but not fish?  thumbsdown
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 10:23:11 PM by jztemple2 » Logged

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 26, 2010, 10:58:42 PM »

OH GOD IT'S INSTALLING!!!!!!!!!!!
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 26, 2010, 11:23:11 PM »

well my first impressions are this is shit-tastic. thanks for using EA's crappy ass servers! I enjoy the please wait game.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 26, 2010, 11:35:24 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on January 26, 2010, 11:23:11 PM

well my first impressions are this is shit-tastic. thanks for using EA's crappy ass servers! I enjoy the please wait game.

Thankfully it didn't take too long for me, but I think I beat the "home from school" and "home from work" crowd.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 27, 2010, 12:21:01 AM »

My first impressions are hell yeah what an intro!!!!

That said during one of my initial dialogue scenes, the camera was completely focused away from the characters, and not in an artsy way, it's like the camera man was looking at the wall instead of the characters faces.  That was weird.

I had no problems connecting to EAs servers, of course I already had my accounts linked from BF1943.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: January 27, 2010, 12:31:16 AM »

I've been on the forums, the fix for the servers was just improved, they're going down shortly and will be back up (hopefully fixed).

For us PC users, you'd be surprised at how well ME2 runs in a window and alt-tabs out this time.

A housemate got that same bug with the first meeting of Jacob.  It happens a few times in other places, all pretty randomly depending on aspects of timing, and scripting.

There's other situations where characters don't hit their movement and animation cues so you see them doing weird stuff like moonwalking into a position for a cinematic.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 27, 2010, 01:10:50 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on January 27, 2010, 12:31:16 AM

I've been on the forums, the fix for the servers was just improved, they're going down shortly and will be back up (hopefully fixed).

For us PC users, you'd be surprised at how well ME2 runs in a window and alt-tabs out this time.

A housemate got that same bug with the first meeting of Jacob.  It happens a few times in other places, all pretty randomly depending on aspects of timing, and scripting.

There's other situations where characters don't hit their movement and animation cues so you see them doing weird stuff like moonwalking into a position for a cinematic.

Yep that's exactly where I got it too.  So far the ones after that seem to be ok.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 27, 2010, 01:11:32 AM »

why do you  need to log into EA for this game?
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 27, 2010, 01:42:34 AM »

Well after a couple of hours the game is looking good.  I have the pc version thru a digital download  (D2D) and had issues with the DLC and the Cereberus network.  Im still not sure if its working correctly.  I wanted to map movement to the arrow keys and for some reason I cant so I guess Im gonna have to get used to WASD all over again.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 27, 2010, 02:08:59 AM »

ok just played a couple of hours. looks like the servers are fixed too.

intro-FUCK YES AWESOME

tutorial-much better

controls-bah, changing shift and space is hella confusing after just finishing the pc version. auto using cover gone is very baffling and very confusing as well.

ui-so, so, soooooooooooooooooo much better. only thing that sucks is no double clicking to confirm the choice. this is extremely annoying and very baffling. not sure what is up with this latest trend of making pc UI's suck like this. first borderland and now ME2 is affected. not good. otherwise it's way better than the first.

the new ship is awesome. the loading times are almost zero. most of the time i can't even read the tips. I like the new focus of combat mostly being a FPS and doing away with the stupid accuracy shit. reason why i got it on the pc in the first place.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 27, 2010, 02:29:59 AM »

reason why i got it on the pc in the first place.

I'm not digging the PC controls though,

I have the pc version thru a digital download

"Console Gaming"

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 27, 2010, 02:39:32 AM »

According to 1Up the Zaeed DLC has been delayed a day or two for the 360.  The other Cerberus Network content is supposed to be working, though.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 29   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: