http://gamingtrend.com
December 23, 2014, 03:11:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Marvel: Ultimate Alliance Impressions  (Read 3309 times)
Jarrodhk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2006, 09:50:36 AM »

Thank you Destructor!

Hmm... okay, so I go to a shield point and then enter the code first thing?  I need to know exactly because either the f'ing d-pad is screwing this up, or I'm trying it in the wrong place.

The answer was screwy d-pad.  It does look like you can unlock them normally in the course of the game as well.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 10:15:40 AM by Jarrodhk » Logged

Pikachu, I Blame you!
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2006, 10:08:28 AM »

From what I understand, the two hidden characters are already in the game and unlockable by playing.  The codes only allow you to have them available from the start.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2006, 11:13:09 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on October 26, 2006, 02:06:07 AM

And I know of a few 'team combos' so far. I'm gonna put it in a spoiler tag though if you don't wanna know:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Bonus name  -  characters seen in combo  -  bonus effect

Fantastic Four  -  Mr. Fantastic, Invisible Woman, Thing, Human Torch  -  20 Health per KO
New Avengers  -  Any combination of: Captain America, Spiderman, Spiderwoman, Luke Cage, Iron Man, Wolverine  -  +5 All Resistances
X-Men  -  Storm, Colossus, Ice Man, Wolverine  -  +15% Max Energy
Avengers  -  Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, Ms. Marvel  -  +5% Damage
Natural Forces  -  Iceman, Human Torch, Storm, Thor  -  5% Damage inflicted is health gain
Femme Fatale  -  Ms. Marvel, Spiderwoman, Storm, Elektra  -  +5% Damage

And for the two 'exclusive' characters obtainable via Gamestop and EB... Do the following at the Character Select Screen (where you can build your team):

Daredevil:  Left, left, right, right, up, down, up, down, start
Silver Surfer:  Down, Left, Left, Up, Right, Up, Down, Left, start

Eat THAT exclusive characters!  icon_biggrin

Thanks for the spoilers.  I don't know much about comics or the marvel universe other than what I saw in the cartoons.  Right now I have been using the red/black guy with the katanas, the moon knight guy, captain america and ironman.  Would love to find a team that used the first two of these characters.

Overall I am enjoying the game, but hate the camera as always, just feel like it limits my vision too much.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2006, 03:12:15 PM »

Overall I am enjoying the game, but hate the camera as always, just feel like it limits my vision too much.

My primary complaint.  One of the very few. smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
ras752000
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2006, 06:20:46 PM »

Made any progess on the PSP copy yet???

PSN=ras752000
Steam=ras752000gt
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2006, 06:40:19 PM »

Love love loving it so far!  Camera angles haven't really bothered me, but I wish the stat/ability bars under character details were a little thinner.  If they would have slimmed them down, everything could have fit without the need to scroll.  Bleh.

I have a couple questions that I couldn't find in the manual :

1) Is there a setting to default to have you spend the character points instead of auto-spend before choosing the character for the first time?  I can change it once I look at the character details, but at higher levels the points have already been spent since it defaults to auto-spend.  Or is there a way to remove points before accepting?

2) How exactly are the outfits unlocked?  Does it happen at a certain character level?

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2006, 07:47:51 PM »

Quote from: Nth Power on October 26, 2006, 06:40:19 PM

I have a couple questions that I couldn't find in the manual :

1) Is there a setting to default to have you spend the character points instead of auto-spend before choosing the character for the first time?  I can change it once I look at the character details, but at higher levels the points have already been spent since it defaults to auto-spend.  Or is there a way to remove points before accepting?

2) How exactly are the outfits unlocked?  Does it happen at a certain character level?

1) If you intend to manually assign points, you have to do so ASAP once you start the game, and ASAP for EVERY single character in your roster once you hit your first save point. You have no way to change your mind once you assign (or worse, buy) points either.

2) From what I've seen, I've just gotten the first 3 outfits for manually using characters. Once you find the hidden simulator CDs for the characters, you'll get a 4th outfit for everybody.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2006, 09:52:53 PM »

So if I'm at 15th level and unlock a new character, all their points up to that level have already been auto-assigned and I can't reassign them?  Bleh.  thumbsdown

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2006, 12:08:09 AM »

Quote from: Nth Power on October 26, 2006, 09:52:53 PM

So if I'm at 15th level and unlock a new character, all their points up to that level have already been auto-assigned and I can't reassign them?  Bleh.  thumbsdown

In this case, I really have no idea what the game will do. But I'm guessing it'll happen the way you're describing it.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2006, 03:26:12 AM »

In the Legends games the new character would be a comparable level, and you could spend the points as you wished.  I'm hoping this held over.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2006, 03:49:35 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 27, 2006, 03:26:12 AM

In the Legends games the new character would be a comparable level, and you could spend the points as you wished.  I'm hoping this held over.

While this does make sense, the problem with M:UA is that by default, every character is set to auto-level and auto-equip. Which implies that the game will continue that trend.

The problem is that some powers, well, suck. My group (Iron Man, Wolverine, Human Torch, Silver Surfer) all have a PBAoE (Point Blank Area of Effect) power of some sort. Short of Wolverine's PBAoE, they all suck and are outright not worth the points. I'd be...unhappy if the game decided to use some of my points in those moves.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2006, 11:22:32 AM »

I believe when you unlock a new character they unlock with points autospent up to the level they are unlocked at.  From what I have read, it really doesn't matter as you can max out the characters.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2006, 04:02:56 PM »

I got the PSP version about 10 minutes ago at ToysRus (buy 2 games get 1 free) although I won't have any impressions until monday or tuesday as I've got 12-14 hour shifts this weekend and wont have much time to play.
However looking at the box I can verify there is online play (1-4 players) as well as 3 exclusive game modes to the PSP, plus of course as already mentioned, a couple of exclusive characters.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2006, 05:00:12 PM »

Anyone gotten to mephistos lair yet?
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2006, 07:27:02 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on October 27, 2006, 11:22:32 AM

I believe when you unlock a new character they unlock with points autospent up to the level they are unlocked at.  From what I have read, it really doesn't matter as you can max out the characters.
Hm, maybe it's not so bad then.  Still, it would have been nice to have a setting to change all the characters at once.

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2006, 10:36:47 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on October 27, 2006, 05:00:12 PM

Anyone gotten to mephistos lair yet?

Watched a friend of mine finish it off and move on to the next area on wednesday night. But if you're seeking help I was only partially paying attention so I'm no good to you slywink

I haven't bought it yet. I'd like to pick it up but I was always burned by one aspect of the X-Men Legends games. That being the fact that once you beat the game (with your high level characters) you couldn't start the game back over again with your characters already leveled. Everytime you started over you did just that.. you started completely over. I want to take my higher leveled characters through harder difficulties, not start all over every time I fire up the game.

When you add that with the irritating fact that you only got certain characters halfway through the story or sometimes they showed up so late you never had time to even learn anything about how they played, much less got time to really enjoy them. Best example of that is Psylocke showing up about ten minutes before I beat the first XML game, and in a level full of psychic immune robotic enemies. Who the hell thought that was a good idea?

Does MUA solve those problems? Can you start over with all the characters unlocked and have the ones you played with already leveled?

If not I'm going to have to pass. Both the X-Men games were fun once but had exactly zero replayability as far as I was concerned. I bought the first one, then traded it in and only rented the second one.

I probably won't even rent this one if those same two issues are there.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 27, 2006, 10:52:46 PM »

Quote from: Thin_J
When you add that with the irritating fact that you only got certain characters halfway through the story or sometimes they showed up so late you never had time to even learn anything about how they played, much less got time to really enjoy them. Best example of that is Psylocke showing up about ten minutes before I beat the first XML game, and in a level full of psychic immune robotic enemies. Who the hell thought that was a good idea?

I agree 100% -- that was a totally bizarre design decision.

-Autistic Angel
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 28, 2006, 01:31:49 AM »

There's a thread about carrying over stats at GameFAQs here.  It looks like they do carry over if you play on Normal or Hard, but not on Easy.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 28, 2006, 10:00:29 PM »

Quote from: Destructor
1) If you intend to manually assign points, you have to do so ASAP once you start the game, and ASAP for EVERY single character in your roster once you hit your first save point. You have no way to change your mind once you assign (or worse, buy) points either.

I have not played Ultimate Alliance so I don't know anything from personal experience, but according to GameSpot's review:

Quote from: GameSpot
Perhaps most interesting about the whole hero customization system in Marvel: Ultimate Alliance is the fact that few of your choices are permanent. Though you can't take back any money spent, any skill points you've earned or purchased can be redistributed to different special powers at the drop of a hat.

-Autistic Angel
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: October 29, 2006, 01:41:27 AM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on October 28, 2006, 10:00:29 PM

Perhaps most interesting about the whole hero customization system in Marvel: Ultimate Alliance is the fact that few of your choices are permanent. Though you can't take back any money spent, any skill points you've earned or purchased can be redistributed to different special powers at the drop of a hat.

I think Gamespot played another game than I did (or else they have far more detailed instructions than the crappy manual had in it) as I sure as hell don't see it. I can get the game to take one point away sometimes from certain skills, but not all of them.

And a few questions:

1) What does 'momentum' mean on the screen that lets you give powerups to your currently made team? It sure doesn't look like running speed like the icon would indicate.

2) I have some item that increases energy damage. Even with this wording though, it apparently increases all special move damage (instead of just attacks that are considered energy instead of say fire or cold). But I have an item that increases all Power damage which translates (in my mind) increasing all special move damage.

3) The AI 'intelligence' is pretty much brain dead (again). I had my first death today due to my idiots constantly being pushed against a moving spiked wall of doom in the Arcade level (instead of running forward and keeping up with me).

Just as an FYI for those of you who have gone looking for codes for the game - if you use any codes OTHER than the ones I listed a few posts back (the 'exclusive' codes for DareDevil and Silver Surfer) you completely lose out on the ability to gain further Achievement Points for the game. At least this is what's been posted over on GameFAQs.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 29, 2006, 02:07:37 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on October 29, 2006, 01:41:27 AM

Quote from: Autistic Angel on October 28, 2006, 10:00:29 PM

I think Gamespot played another game than I did (or else they have far more detailed instructions than the crappy manual had in it) as I sure as hell don't see it. I can get the game to take one point away sometimes from certain skills, but not all of them.

And a few questions:

1) What does 'momentum' mean on the screen that lets you give powerups to your currently made team? It sure doesn't look like running speed like the icon would indicate.

2) I have some item that increases energy damage. Even with this wording though, it apparently increases all special move damage (instead of just attacks that are considered energy instead of say fire or cold). But I have an item that increases all Power damage which translates (in my mind) increasing all special move damage.

3) The AI 'intelligence' is pretty much brain dead (again). I had my first death today due to my idiots constantly being pushed against a moving spiked wall of doom in the Arcade level (instead of running forward and keeping up with me).

Just as an FYI for those of you who have gone looking for codes for the game - if you use any codes OTHER than the ones I listed a few posts back (the 'exclusive' codes for DareDevil and Silver Surfer) you completely lose out on the ability to gain further Achievement Points for the game. At least this is what's been posted over on GameFAQs.

Points you put in to a skill beyond the first point can be removed by using X I believe.  This only applies to points you physically put in to a skill, not points already in a skill from autolevelling etc.

Momentum is what build up your meter to pull off extreme attacks.  You gain momentum by executing finishers, momentum bonus means you gain more per finisher.

Not sure on question #2.

Yes that particular section was bad.  Easiest thing to do is tap left trigger while you are running which issues the follow command.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 30, 2006, 03:19:33 AM »

I finished it tonight.  Two days of playing.  The last battle made me insane.  The ending is kind of cool though - it's different based on whether you completed the side missions or not.

Quote from: Thin_J on October 27, 2006, 10:36:47 PM

Does MUA solve those problems? Can you start over with all the characters unlocked and have the ones you played with already leveled?
Yup, just started a game on hard to check it out and it prompted me to pick a save game to load my stats from and I can pick any characters I want (still haven't unlocked 3 though, darn.)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 03:40:15 AM by kathode » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: