http://gamingtrend.com
July 23, 2014, 03:32:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Marvel Nemesis - What's the word?  (Read 989 times)
Andrew Wonser
Gaming Trend Senior Member

A porcupine quilt made of porcupine quills.

View Profile
« on: October 05, 2005, 04:56:07 PM »

Is it good, bad, what? Grabbed it on a fluke and don't want to rip off the wrap until I get a seal of approval from you guys.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2005, 05:03:21 PM »

I had the chance to rent it, but I passed on it.  Just didn't feel like spending money on a game that has gotten middle of the road reviews at best.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2005, 05:11:22 PM »

I wasn't too impressed with the oxm demo.  controls seemed a bit wonky for my tastes and overall seemed a bit gratuitous.  The characters made up for the game are just plain goofy, too.  Why make up a bunch of new characters when you are dealing with Marvel anyway?  Why make an Electro rip-off if you have to use a stupid-ass name like Johnny Ohm?

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2005, 07:21:19 PM »

I'm enjoying the game.  I got the Gamecube version because it was cheaper ($10 less) and I'm slowly phasing out my Xbox in preparation for the X360 (I'm trading in the Xbox).

The game reminds me alot of Soul Calibur with simpler gameplay (no billion and a half button combinations to memorize, which you never used anyway) and alot of things to unlock, which is pretty much what fighting-type games are about.

The initial missions for The Thing are pretty easy.  I'm currently on the Wolverine missions and finally have some difficulty.  Just finished a pretty tense battle against The Wink (my favorite Imperfect so far) and I just unlocked the Elektra missions.  I haven't unlocked any of the other heroes or Imperfects yet.

The graphics are fine, the sound is good and the controls feel right to me except maybe a little too fast moving.  You really have to concentrate.  A little slower would have been perfect.  I really do like how the environment you are fighting in is completely destructable.  For example, you could throw everything (especially if you are The Thing), but just try picking up a car with Elektra!  In my battle against The Wink I picked up several long poles and started whacking the heck out of The Wink (when I could catch her).  Fun.

Speaking of the Imperfects, I think they were well thought out with believable powers that match their names.  Johnny Ohm is one tough character to fight against when he unleashes all that damn electricity.

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2005, 11:18:11 PM »

The tv commercial has traumatized me. :shock:

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
zuggo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2005, 03:44:48 PM »

yeah, the commercial is disturbing. grown man wearing tighty-whitey hero pants. no thanks!
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2005, 12:21:25 PM »

My girlfriend's 13yr-old son and I played the shit out of the demo last night.

We had a blast.

I don't know how good the sp portion of the game is, but 1v1 was a damn good time.......the gfx were nice, the control seemed good, Spidey and Ohm were very different and had alot of unique moves that weren't that hard to pull off, and the destructible environs were icing on the cake.

I am....Migaloo
Rest in Peace, Nan & Star
XBL Schins67
Austin

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2005, 09:55:22 PM »

I gave it a rent and I would not buy it.  The game itself is so-so.  Nothing at all like Soul Caliber, although no offense to the person above who would dare soil Soul Caliber's good name with such a comparison. slywink

Each character does have a couple special moves but other than that it's a bit of a button masher.  (Yeah ok, some people button mash Soul Caliber)  Anyway, it's a little dull.  Select a mission and there's a little cut scene.  Beat down a bunch of stuff and all of a sudden the mission is complete and you select a new one.  The problem with this is the missions are really short.  I mean like a couple/few minutes on some early levels.  Than you have to wait for loading, saving and all that.

I'm not sure why they didn't do save points or something as that is essentially what they are forcing you to do anyway.  (Although Save points wouldn't have the load/saves times that this does)  Definitely rent this before you buy/unwrap it.  Not a good game IMO.   5.5/10  (Although I did not bother completing the game)

Edit: forgot to mention that I did not play any coop.  Also the destructible environments were cool... but almost too much.  Try it and see.
Andrew Wonser

A porcupine quilt made of porcupine quills.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2005, 12:35:08 AM »

Was able to see some in game videos and wasn't too impressed. Ended up taking it back.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: