http://gamingtrend.com
October 30, 2014, 03:59:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Marvel Heroes  (Read 1314 times)
forgeforsaken
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 22, 2012, 07:13:21 PM »

Free to play action RPG
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDSrI1MtTcg

http://www.marvelheroes.com/

I swear Hark and I were just discussing this type of thing the other day.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 07:16:21 PM »

Its an MMO :-)

http://gamingtrend.com/forums/massive-multiplayer-madness/marvel-universe-mmo-f2p/

A new one
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 07:18:50 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on May 22, 2012, 07:16:21 PM

It looks as MMO to me as Diablo III, which some folks seem to be convinced is just a single player game.

I mean
Randomly generated environments are different every time you play.
Does not imply conventional MMO to me, but Diablo maybe with a central hub at most.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 07:43:23 PM by forgeforsaken » Logged
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 11:30:21 PM »

That's pretty odd on the timing Forge since it almost exactly what I was suggesting.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 07:47:53 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on May 22, 2012, 07:18:50 PM

Quote from: Razgon on May 22, 2012, 07:16:21 PM

It looks as MMO to me as Diablo III, which some folks seem to be convinced is just a single player game.

I mean
Randomly generated environments are different every time you play.
Does not imply conventional MMO to me, but Diablo maybe with a central hub at most.

well, from the site itself

Marvel Heroes is a free-to-play MMO Action RPG created by David Brevik, the visionary behind Diablo.

Anyways - just wanted to point you towards where the discussion was, not get into some weird argument.

A new one
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 08:26:03 PM »

How many Diablo visionaries are there?  Seems like every other company has one.  Is there any left at Blizzard?
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 08:59:51 PM »

Quote from: skystride on May 23, 2012, 08:26:03 PM

How many Diablo visionaries are there?  Seems like every other company has one.  Is there any left at Blizzard?

According to Wikipedia,

The game, with its dark fantasy and horror themes, was conceptualized and designed by David Brevik and Erich Schaefer, who with Max Schaefer acted as project leads on the game. The producers were Matthew Householder and Bill Roper.

The Schaefers are doing Torchlight, I forgot where Roper was now (NCSoft?), and I don't know about Householder, never see his name.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 09:05:56 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on May 23, 2012, 08:59:51 PM

Quote from: skystride on May 23, 2012, 08:26:03 PM

According to Wikipedia,

The game, with its dark fantasy and horror themes, was conceptualized and designed by David Brevik and Erich Schaefer, who with Max Schaefer acted as project leads on the game. The producers were Matthew Householder and Bill Roper.

The Schaefers are doing Torchlight, I forgot where Roper was now (NCSoft?), and I don't know about Householder, never see his name.

looks like Householder went to Flagship Studios for Hellgate.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 12:39:48 AM »

Quote from: rittchard on May 23, 2012, 08:59:51 PM

According to this, Bill Roper is heading up Disney's gaming division, and was recently in charge of their Marvel division.  He may be involved with Marvel Heroes, but you'd think they'd have mentioned that in the press release.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2014, 11:08:17 PM »

Gonna be streaming this http://www.hitbox.tv/Harkonis while waiting for my Titanfall key slywink
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2014, 02:49:52 PM »

been playing the crap out of this, almost 60 with my first guy
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2014, 03:40:28 PM »

Get ready to run terminals all weekend for phat lewtz

https://forums.marvelheroes.com/discussion/comment/944449

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2014, 02:03:39 PM »

Might want to tear yourself away from Titanfall a little this weekend - the event drops loot that can be crafted into a special legendary for your characters that provides bonus xp and item find (depending on how high you rank it). You can pop it on your characters until you have Odin marks for a real legendary.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2014, 06:07:21 PM »

I learned something the hard way today - unbinding a legendary resets the ranks.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2014, 06:40:33 PM »

I knew this, sorry, thought you knew that when you mentioned unbinding it.  Since it is xp boost it should be fine in ling run, right?
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2014, 07:54:59 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on March 16, 2014, 06:40:33 PM

I knew this, sorry, thought you knew that when you mentioned unbinding it.  Since it is xp boost it should be fine in ling run, right?

For the most part yes, but I took it off Ms. Marvel at 50, so she'll have to rank it back up before getting the extra 10% when I take her from 50-60. I also made one extra this weekend and maybe I'll have enough time before the event ends to make another. There's some value having them on 60's for rare/special find, but the XP bonus is probably the biggest benefit.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2014, 02:28:51 AM »

Wish I could earn more pieces of the rainbow, sadly dealing with family issues all day today and likely most of tomorrow as well.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2014, 07:44:00 AM »

50% multiplier to any RIF/SIF/XP bonus you use this weekend.  So pop a 100% xp bonus bar, get 150%, pop 2 bars (100+50) and get 225 (100+50+75)  not bad deal, wonder if I can tear myself away from dark souls and titanfall
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2014, 05:31:06 PM »

chase costumes available limited time
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2014, 05:59:37 PM »

Oh man, the BW white suit is probably some price I have no interest in paying.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2014, 05:48:17 PM »

Finally got back into this while taking some time off last week. Captain America seems a lot more better good to play now. They seem to have taken some cues from the last movies on attacks (some animations seem cooler than I remember at least). Airborne Assault (fairly long cooldown) -- which has you leaping in a huge arc and slamming into the ground for tremendous AOE damage -- is all kinds of awesome.

I'll try to put some sort of video together about Cap as he plays now.

I was impatient to try The Falcon as "team up" partner (think much jazzier/permanent versions of Diablo II's mercenaries). The partners work as a sort of carrot to leveling up. I'm eager to hit L40 (my Cap's L38) and get Falcon's third tier skill. One lets him empty his pistol clips for a short, high dmg burst special attack; the other seems to let him swoop in via his jetpacks and knock down large groups.

While I do still enjoy the campaign -- you can play it again now at appropriate levels for you, but it still feels even on the Heroic and Superheroic difficulty levels to play way too easy at this point, perhaps I'm not setting the skill levels properly. Then again, I remember in early City of Heroes the complaint being "this doesn't feel super heroic to have to whack at the same enemy 10 times to knock him down." So far I'm still having dumb fun with Cap and Falcon and any call-in pets obliterating massive armies single handed.

Although I see lots of folks in game I really never get to do pick up groups anymore. I guess everyone just does terminals and the various event stuff. This is kind of a shame because it looks like they revamped a lot of the instances (Fisk Tower for example) to have wider corridors and areas more conductive to team play but I played heavily for four days and never got on a single pick up group in terms of the campaign stuff.

That always tends to make me sad about MMOs. Invariably they're not in great shape at launch and then by the time they get updated into what I wanted them to be at launch, the folks I might've played it with have already moved on.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 05:50:59 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2014, 06:40:02 PM »

Finally got Captain America to L40, and chose the special "empties clips" pistols attack for Falcon. While it's pretty fun to watch (he jetpacks up a bit in altitude and "empties his clips" at enemies at rapid speed), as I near Doom's castle in Heroic mode it was pretty clear Falcon was going to die quite frequently with my Team Up powers set up as they are.

I'm a little bit disappointed the Captain America: The Winter Soldier film didn't apparently inspire Gazillion to add any content specific to it beyond Falcon as team-up and one Captain America costume (the early stealth one in the movie w/ more subdued colors). I don't think I've read about any plans to add Winter Soldier as villain, hero or team-up to this point.

I mean, Thor: The Dark World got content, levels, and Loki, and the Marvel Heroes splash screen is still Loki-specific. No I didn't expect them to have Helicarriers crashing into oblivion and what not, just thought there might be a more specific tie-in of some kind to the movie.  icon_neutral
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 06:43:02 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2014, 07:55:33 PM »

The devs only watched it twice  ninja
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2014, 01:09:34 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on April 30, 2014, 07:55:33 PM

The devs only watched it twice  ninja
Slackers!  Bring your own!

I did read they revamped Cap's Airborne Assault animation based directly off a sequence in the movie (the Cap leap off the VTOL fighter on the bridge. Think they tweaked it in last night's patch after some negative feedback - veteran players preferred the original animation.

I bought Luke Cage last night. Very fun in terms of both attacks (throwing chunks of pavement and eventually cars even if no cars are around) and a pet tree of sorts (starting with Iron Fist) where eventually you can call in several Luke's friends for a short period of time.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2014, 01:44:34 PM »

good news is that every hero I play I like
bad news is that every hero I play I like
 crybaby
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2014, 03:26:40 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on May 01, 2014, 01:44:34 PM

good news is that every hero I play I like
bad news is that every hero I play I like
 crybaby
Heh, yeah, my Synergies screen (this was before I picked up Luke Cage) here reads like short attention span theater. I'm hoping the bonuses will be a carrot for me to at least try to get all my heroes to L25.  icon_smile
I tried the revamped DD a bit last night and he was fairly fun. I'll probably try to get some more time in on him and Luke Cage, see if I can get them to 25 at least. Though I guess I oughta just put a bit of time in on Cable to get him to L25 for the next synergy bonus.

Though I like the idea of the "buy one get one" promo going on, when I bought Luke Cage my reward was... another Scarlet Witch  icon_razz Thouigh now at least you can use it later to upgrade her Ultimate power.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 03:30:12 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2014, 06:15:44 PM »

I've been playing a little more of this off and on lately, definitely a fun game that you can just pop in to and play pretty casually and still enjoy.  It's actually a bit overwhelming when you come back in because there are so many different options to play.

They are promoting an event called Marvel Heroes 2015, which I really don't quite understand the significance.  I mean why is "2015" starting in the middle of 2014? 
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2014, 06:52:17 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on June 06, 2014, 06:15:44 PM

I've been playing a little more of this off and on lately, definitely a fun game that you can just pop in to and play pretty casually and still enjoy.  It's actually a bit overwhelming when you come back in because there are so many different options to play.

They are promoting an event called Marvel Heroes 2015, which I really don't quite understand the significance.  I mean why is "2015" starting in the middle of 2014? 

You overslept and missed 2,013 sequels.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2014, 07:27:45 PM »

Marvel Heroes 2015 is just the rebranding of the game. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: