http://gamingtrend.com
September 29, 2016, 06:54:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "I Am Setsuna" (alternate title "I'm not Chrono Trigger, honest") Squeenix JRPG  (Read 391 times)
Gratch
Gaming Trend Senior Member

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« on: May 24, 2016, 10:44:30 PM »

I Am Setsuna comes out on July 19, and it looks fantastic.  As Kotaku said in their headline, it's Chrono Trigger in everything but name (trailer in link).

How this isn't getting more attention is beyond me...it really does look fantastic.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 01:48:33 AM by Gratch » Logged

Remover of Inconvenient Obstacles
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 01:10:36 AM »

Thanks for sharing this. This is the type of game that I like to buy (and play if I have time to do it). Prepurchased Steam version.

Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 01:33:19 AM »

There seems to be an interesting story behind this game. Square Enix set up this development studio as an experiment to see if there is a sustainable audience for old school, golden age jrpgs. If this game is a commercial flop, the studio's future is in doubt.

Ikenie to Yuki No Setsuna, as it is called in Japan, has already been released. Scores are averaging in the mid 70s. It is being praised for its melancholy story and tight design focus, but critics are complaining of the overly easy battles, and repetitive combat. Apparently in many instances the enemies don't even get a chance to attack. Most of the more difficult battles are optional bosses/monsters.

I'm not sure what to do. The idea of a somber story is attractive, but I HATE combat where I can basically not even look at the screen and win.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 02:19:31 PM »

Thanks for the great review, GT.  Sounds like it's exactly what I'm looking for.  Looking forward to giving it a shot when I get back home on Friday.

Scraper

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2016, 03:11:33 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on July 19, 2016, 02:19:31 PM

Thanks for the great review, GT.  Sounds like it's exactly what I'm looking for.  Looking forward to giving it a shot when I get back home on Friday.

I will definitely get this game, but not at $40. I will wait for the inevitable 50 to 60% sale.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2016, 06:15:55 PM »

It does look good but it also seems like something that can wait until a sale.

Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2016, 02:46:19 AM »

For the moment the game is absolutely incompatible with any version of the XB1 wireless controllers. Steam is blowing up because of this. Wired controllers and Xbox 360 wireless controllers work fine. This was a big miss on the developers side, as the Unity engine is known to not play nice with the XB1 controller. This game needs every sale, and all the good feedback it can possibly get, and Tokyo RPG Factory shot themselves in the foot with this oversight. Until I gain the determination to scrounge through my garage looking through boxes for my Xbox 360 controller, I've been demoted to watching my friend play the first couple hours. The keyboard and mouse controls work fine, but that just isn't my scene, baby.

Moving on, the game looks beautiful, and the piano music and prevalent snowfall give it a melancholy feeling. This image does a nice job capturing the feel of the game:

I Am Setsuna feels like a 3DS RPG, but with superior graphics and sound. What I mean by that is the world feels small, at times claustrophobic. But that fits in nicely with the mood of the game. Like most 3DS RPGs, the combat is easy, but there is a good amount of depth to the mechanics. I've read that the boss battles offer a good challenge, but this early in the game I haven't been able to confirm that. After playing Dark Souls and Pillars of Eternity on hard mode, I Am Setsuna is a nice, relaxing change of pace.

Recommended if you like JRPGs.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2016, 01:38:23 PM »

Tokyo RPG Factory posted a 244MM Yes ($2.4MM) loss.  Ouch.

I played the first couple hours and came away entirely underwhelmed.  The story felt like a retread of FFX but with far less interesting characters, the combat system feels very dull, the monster design is boring, and the game didn't look nearly as good as I was hoping (mainly that every new snowy area looks exactly the same as the previous one).  I may give it another shot down the road, but it certainly doesn't make a good first impression, further reinforcing my fear that it wouldn't resonate at all for those of us who don't have much nostalgia for Chrono Trigger.  frown

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: